Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja - Why was this such a huge flop?

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 months ago

Having seen the movie, I thought it was charming with great songs, set pieces, and Sridevi marvelous as usual. It was clearly trying to replicate the magic of Mr. India so why did this film get rejected by audiences? It was the most expensive Bollywood film when it came out. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

VimalPanMasala thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Having seen the movie, I thought it was charming with great songs, set pieces, and Sridevi marvelous as usual. It was clearly trying to replicate the magic of Mr. India so why did this film get rejected by audiences? It was the most expensive Bollywood film when it came out. 

Bad timing, wayyy too long, cliche plot mashed together. The conceptualization went too long and the director just put everything he liked in one film. It's basically a good representation of ALL 80s trends in one movie which is not great. 

oyebollywood thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Coz of boney devi the movie tanked

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

The shooting went on for so many years that it was a running joke. It was conceived on a large scale and I  think they went above the budget. The stars aged. People lost interest and taste changed by the time it came out.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

It seems like the movie's biggest failing was coming out in 1993 and not in the late 80s.

oyebollywood thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

The train robbery scene was hyped

TheJourney thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Boney went bankrupt after the movie.

One of the many times he went bankrupt!

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: alwaystruthwins

I saw the movie, and despite all of the lavish presentation an huge budget the film I found was

Boring 

Very basic and not at all interesting storyline 

Non engaging screenplay and script 

Does not hold the attention of the viewer at all 

Only visuals cannot save a movie

So a well deserving flop, especially with all of the mega expectations of audience for years who have waited for this movie but were bitterly disappointed with the lackluster direction and non engaging formulaic script 

The storyline is perhaps standard but the visuals and songs were wonderful and Sridevi is marvelous as always. Especially when pretending to be the abandoned Madrasi housewife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Ov9eaelgg

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: alwaystruthwins

No idea, but personally to me she looked jaded and even her famous comedy seems forced in this movie 

I don't know, I didn't get that feeling myself. I remember reading that Amitabh Bachchan was wowed by Sridevi's intro in Dushman Dil Ka Jo Hain Mere. How she walked down the steps of the pyramid without ever looking down once effortlessly. He tried doing it himself to see if he could do it and failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTmDXv5t5hk

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

1. Budget exceeded due to which it was sold on high rates.

2. There was hype for the film reached new heights which raised their expectations of Masterpiece.

3. In the end, it was decent to average film, and audience couldn't digest this, made it super flop.