Kirron Kher's advice to the gang rape victim

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 6 years ago

Kirron Kher's This Advice To The Gang Rape Victim Raises Another Controversy

Kher said that the victim should have been more cautious and not boarded the auto-rickshaw in which three men were already sitting.

November 30, 2017

Chandigarh's BJP MP Kirron Kher has stirred a controversy by giving unsolicited advice to a young woman who was gang-raped earlier this month here by an auto-rickshaw driver and his two accomplices.

Kher said on Wednesday that the victim should have been more cautious and not boarded the auto-rickshaw in which three men were already sitting.

The Bollywood actress and Lok Sabha member on Thursday sought to clarify her statement, saying it was "only in the context of certain precautions that women should take and that it was "not intended to blame the victim or shaming her.

Kirron Kher's This Advice To The Gang Rape Victim Raises Another Controversy 

The Bharatiya Janata Party MP had earlier said that the 21-year-old gang rape victim should have avoided boarding the auto-rickshaw when she saw that three men were already sitting in it.

"I want to tell this girl and all other girls that if you see three men sitting in the auto, they should not board it. I am saying this to protect the girls.

"We all have to be alert about such things. I am saddened by what has happened with the woman, Kher told media on Wednesday.

Trending

On Thursday, Kher clarified her stand. "I just said that the world is a bad place. We all, especially ladies, have to take precautions. As a mother, I am saying this that we need to take care, Kher said.

She said that if the victim had called up the police control room, the police would have taken her and dropped her safely at her home.

"If the Congress wants to make an issue out of it, I cannot help, she said.

The victim was allegedly gang-raped by three men on November 17 evening after she hired the shared auto-rickshaw to go back to her paying guest accommodation in Mohali town, adjoining Chandigarh.

The police got the CCTV footage of the auto-rickshaw and its driver from a gas station in Sector 42 where the vehicle had stopped to get a CNG refuel.

The Union Territory police arrested the three men after over a week after the incident.

The victim, who hails from Dehradun in Uttarakhand, had boarded the shared auto-rickshaw after attending her stenography class in Sector 37 here.

The victim told the police that the driver took the vehicle to the gas station for refuelling and then turned towards Sector 52.

He stopped the auto near a wild growth along the road and said that it had broken down. When the woman got out of the vehicle to take another one, the three men pulled her into nearby bushes and took turns to rape her.

The accused arrested included auto-rickshaw driver Mohammed Irfan, Garib and Poppu. Irfan had tried to commit suicide in police custody this week by stabbing himself with a glass that he broke in the prison cell.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HeyDeviMaiyya thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
The headline is completely misleading and taken out of context🤢 If you read the entire article, what she's said makes sense unfortunately taking the current scenario (imo). 
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
She did not blame the victim.. she is just trying to say that in the polluted world that we live un precautions havr to taken and one such precaution would be to avoid venturuing into a place with men when you are alone.. No, you are not to be blamed if the men are pathetic inhumane creatures but you do have it in your hands ti protect yourself from these animals as much as you can till there comes a time if ever when such measures would not be required
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
When you are taking a shared auto its tough to say if the other occupants know each other or will turn against her(even if they dont know each other). 
maal_u_have thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
"Bachhi ki samajhdari ko bhi main thoda sa kehna chahti hun...saari bachhiyon ko. ki already jab koi teen aadmi baithe hue hain uske andar...to aapko usme bethna nahi chahiye tha...I am saying this to protect the girls... 

Lolwa.

So easy to give out free advice sitting in AC cars with private security by her side. Women take whatever auto they get, otherwise you can stand for hours till you find a woman co-passenger. Or there is a woman when you climb in but she leaves midway, are you supposed to drop out too because being with men in an auto is dangerous ðŸ˜† Phukat ka MP ban jaate hai, kaam nai karte, then jump in to blame rape victims for pointless things.
2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: theeki.mithai

She did not blame the victim.. she is just trying to say that in the polluted world that we live un precautions havr to taken and one such precaution would be to avoid venturuing into a place with men when you are alone.. No, you are not to be blamed if the men are pathetic inhumane creatures but you do have it in your hands ti protect yourself from these animals as much as you can till there comes a time if ever when such measures would not be required

Everyone doesnt have a BMW to travel 
bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: theeki.mithai

The 'advise' was not needed...  We all are told by are parents family and friends ki yeh matt karo woh matt karo...  Take this precaution..  Take that precaution 

Its easy to say AFTER the fact ki yeh nahin karna chahiye tha...  I once stood for an hour and forty-five mins bec i could not find a bus or auto who was willing to go to my area...  Finally ignoring all precautions i got in a shared auto bec koi chara hi nahin tha...  I was  so  scared the whole way...  I got such a verbal lashing from my parents for it...  

My point is shit happens...  But Such advise should never ever come from a public figure bec it encourages an atmosphere of victim blaming...  As an MP she should be asking if police is handling the case with promptness and sensitivity not giving advise to girls ki yeh matt karo..  
Guguminti thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
What can Kiron kher do? She cant change the system or Mentality, what she did was asked the girl to take few precautions which actually is Tough to take.
Its not blaming her actually
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
No. Actually the men shouldn't have raped her
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

Everyone doesnt have a BMW to travel 

I trabvelvia public transport too.. But i never even board a bus which jas only men.. Thats something I dl for my own peace of mind sk I will have to agree with her advice.. It has been proven rape will not stop.. at least in this decade.. tou apni hifazat k lie jo karna hai karo..
Should she have not used this moment to say so.. perhaps.. But I agree with her