Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BeyondHorizon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: zaniax

@prettypri..Ditto! Bajirao-Mastani's love story is nothing to boast about cos breaking ur partners trust is not justifiable under any circumstance! Sadly CV's think otherwise.

Nothing can justify that but makers don't seem to be agree 
BeyondHorizon thumbnail

Originally posted by: harshu27

ya mastani shwn as warrior princess no issues...but y to create so much of melodrama just to gain sympathy fr her... dts sickens me...🥱and still worst baji kashi relationship luks so superficial... no bonding btw dm..and yes she is been sidelined and maligned... only so to create buildup fr d future baji mastani luv saga🥱lets c wat d cvs do... i have v less hopes of redeeming d charctrs of kashi and baji i mean in terms of der relationship...😕

Exactly! Why is it being shown that everyone in Bundelkhand is also conspiring against her? I agree it must not have been pleasant but since she was the daughter of the king's concubine no one must have bothered much about her and there must have been other pressing matters in the kingdom.
BeyondHorizon thumbnail

Originally posted by: harshu27

agree in d movie at least baji kashi relationship was good...both shared gd bonding... but here in d show dey have ruined it completely...🤢mastani portrayal was poor in d movie and here too its nothing grt either...

The bond between Kashi and Baji in the movie was beautiful. Mastani was very poorly portrayed. I guess SLB wanted to portray her as a woman of modern times who takes charge of her own emotions but it backfired on him. Here its better in that way but she is shown as a victim to evoke sympathy amongst audience.
BeyondHorizon thumbnail

Originally posted by: MelodiousDreams

I was trying to go through the post-leap episodes that I hadn't seen earlier...I was just skimming through them, watching certain key moments - and I noticed that the scenes I cared about were the ones with Balaji, Radhabai/Chimnaji/Bajirao, Chimnaji/Rakhmabai, Chimnaji/Bhiubai, and occasionally, Bajirao/Kashi.  Chima and Rakma are the best couple after Balaji Radha aka Manish Anuja. Baji Kashi - lesser said the better 🥱 Their relationship is way too formal for two individuals who have grown up together. There is no friendship between them either,

I am on Twitter and I don't speak up much about PB now...I was appreciative of the show during the pre-leap phase because it resonated with me. It made me think deeply, even as I was gushing over certain scenes, and I loved watching those episodes from an analytical perspective. If I ever get around to watching the pre-leap episodes and reviewing them like I want to, I'll probably share that appreciation. I don't have the emotional connection or intellectual inclination to do that for these post-leap episodes. Whatever we are seeing now is like an entirely new show. I didn't sign up for this. I loved the pre leap track and it was presented very well. I can hardly think of a show in recent times that had a good characterisation like PB in its preleap phase. I guess in preleap phase we saw a young carefree Baji and a modest Bhatt household which is something we could all relate to. We all know Balaji had a very humble life before he became a Peshwa.

The quality of the writing and the presentation of the story in PB2 has become so dramatic. The blatant manner in which dialogues, foreshadowing, and reverb are being used to spell everything out, constantly...it is so off-putting to me. I fell in love with Peshwa Bajirao because it was presented simply and subtly, with strength in its performances and storytelling. PB1 had Vaibhav Mutha at the helm for a very long time, and his expertise showed in every shot with exceptional actors! He also had very capable successors to continue with the style of direction that he set up for the show. The writers put heart and soul and power into the characters, there was wisdom in the dialogues, and even the flaws of characters were given space to be exposed and rectified within the realm of the story. That seems to be the case here else why would such a good show take this route 🤢 I donno about who is heading the creative team now but whoever it is now they are doing a shoddy job. Especially when the history is not so old that u dont have substantial material. 

Whatever is being shown in PB2, in terms of character portrayals and execution, is so drastically different from the high quality episodes in PB1. Change is fine. But the way the makers have gone about this leap makes me wonder if they even had time to plan out this phase of the story. Historical facts have been lost - and this is coming from a team that was detail-oriented and considerably careful about authenticity and creative liberty before. There is way, way too much "creative liberty" now. The balance in the show may have been skewed in certain ways before, but now it is completely gone. What makes things worse is that, capable actors or not, I can't understand Bajirao, I don't feel much for Kashi, and I really don't care about Mastani. The character sketches are just not compelling. The only characters I actually understand are Radhabai, Chimnaji, and Rakhmabai. As a viewer watching PB2, I feel like Bhiubai and Anubai - reminiscing fond memories of days gone by, wanting to return to simpler, happier times.Do read Kahiliginger's post if u havent already : https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/143193913 Why are they making a mess out of it? Clearly they have screwed up. U can take creative liberty in case of shows like CAS (but even this show was butchered beyond repair) but here u have more artefacts.

With Manishji's departure, amidst all this chaos, Rajeshwari and Saurabh are going to carry PB2 forward with power-packed performances, that I know for sure. I just wish the Bajirao/Kashibai relationship hadn't been distorted beyond the point of logic and recognition to make way for drama and a terribly cliched presentation of what is supposed to be an epic love story. Nope. Epic love, for me, is Balaji/Radhabai. That was a love story with significant depth and nuances. Their story has ended...but it will live on, eternal. Balaji Radha will be the power couple of this show. Don't have any hopes for Kashi Baji 😆 Its already ruined beyond repair.

As much as I would have loved to see Manish/Anuja and Saurabh sharing screen space and delivering one knockout performance after another, after seeing the way this leap has unfolded, I am honestly relieved that Anuja and Manishji are free. Thank god for small mercies. Their Balaji/Radhabai flashbacks just serve as poignant reminders of how beautiful and insightful this show used to be. I was just watching the old episodes and cherishing Balaji Radha moments ❤️

My comments in blue.
kahiliginger thumbnail
It seems we all agree that there is a major disconnect between the episodes before and after the leap. The creatives of PB have always led the story off tangent right from the beginning. But they had not portrayed the characters so erroneously earlier. The post leap Bajirao feels like a complete stranger to us. 

The real Mastani was 5-6 years old in 1720 when Balaji Vishwanath died and was replaced by his son Bajirao as the Peshwa. Bajirao first met Mastani nine years later when she was 15-16 years old. For anyone who knows Peshwa history the manner in which events are being presented in the show makes them hard to stomach.

The SLB film Bajirao-Mastani claims to be inspired by the Marathi novel Rau. Actually in that novel Mastani is a courtesan whom Bajirao takes as a mistress. Don't know where Bhansali got his Bundelkhand warrior princess angle from. There is not a single historical document which claims that Mastani was a warrior who fought battles for Bundelkhand or for the Marathas.Trust me, I have scanned through reams and reams of references. 

The truth is since she was a trained rider and Bajirao's preferred companion she rode along with him during his Delhi-Malwa campaign between 1736-38. Just rode with him, not led his army or fought by his side! Going by the PB script's penchant for fantasy Mastani may as well be shown becoming the Peshwa tomorrow instead of Rau.

Anyway, do read the novel Rau by Nagnath Inamdar if you can. It has been translated into English. While that book also takes plenty of creative liberty it is the closest representation of what really happened between 1732-1740 in the Peshwa family. 
Edited by kahiliginger - 6 years ago
BeyondHorizon thumbnail

Originally posted by: kahiliginger

It seems we all agree that there is a major disconnect between the episodes before and after the leap. The creatives of PB have always led the story off tangent right from the beginning. But they had not portrayed the characters so erroneously earlier. The post leap Bajirao feels like a complete stranger to us. 

The real Mastani was 5-6 years old in 1720 when Balaji Vishwanath died and was replaced by his son Bajirao as the Peshwa. Bajirao first met Mastani nine years later when she was 15-16 years old. For anyone who knows Peshwa history the manner in which events are being presented in the show makes them hard to stomach.

The SLB film Bajirao-Mastani claims to be inspired by the Marathi novel Rau. Actually in that novel Mastani is a courtesan whom Bajirao takes as a mistress. Don't know where Bhansali got his Bundelkhand warrior princess angle from. There is not a single historical document which claims that Mastani was a warrior who fought battles for Bundelkhand or for the Marathas.Trust me, I have scanned through reams and reams of references. 

The truth is since she was a trained rider and Bajirao's preferred companion she rode along with him during his Delhi-Malwa campaign between 1736-38. Just rode with him, not led his army or fought by his side! Going by the PB script's penchant for fantasy Mastani may as well be shown becoming the Peshwa tomorrow instead of Rau.

Anyway, do read the novel Rau by Nagnath Inamdar if you can. It has been translated into English. While that book also takes plenty of creative liberty it is the closest representation of what really happened between 1732-1740 in the Peshwa family. 

I guess all Mastani supporters who claim she was a warrior should read this post. Most of them are under the impression that since Mastani was a warrior Bajirao fell in love with her and he lost interest in Kashi as was a common housewife. And this is used to justify infidelity 😆 Why can't they accept that there could be a probability where Bajirao like most men fell for her coz she allured him with her beauty and wit? 😆

Thanks for the suggestion. Have placed an order 😊
kahiliginger thumbnail
People may have their reasons for admiring and empathizing with either Kashi or Mastani. But one should at least be able to tell the difference between fact and fiction. 
Most of what novels,TV shows and films on the subject depict is mere fantasy. No wonder then that the beautiful Mastani who was so dear to Bajirao is transformed into a swashbuckling "Fearless Nadia" warrior princess who is the sole redeemer of Chhatrasal's kingdom. Some TV shows are really notorious for trying to insult people's intelligence in the name of entertainment.

Am providing some links to published works on Maratha history. PIease read and be informed.

1. Peshwa Bajirao I and Maratha Expansion by V G Dighe. 

Circumstances concerning the Peshwa family strife and the death of Bajirao are covered between Pages 201-203:

https://ia801500.us.archive.org/...

2. New History Of The Marathas, Volume II, The Expansion Of The Maratha Power, Phoenix Publications, 1946, : G S Sardesai

Pages 108, 178-181 deal with Mastani

3. A history of the Maratha People by Kinciad and Parasnis Vol. II, Oxford University Press. 

Pages 264-271 deal with Mastani. Fans of Chimnaji must read  pages 270-271.

Edited by kahiliginger - 6 years ago
prettypri thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BeyondHorizon

Yes that connect is so annoying 🥱 Baji's disregard for Kashi is heartbreaking  He will probably consummate his marriage in a compromising scenario 🤢 As in out of compromise. Either he will feel bad seeing how Kashi is disappointed in his lack of interest or he will be depressed about something else. 

Yes, that's how it seems now!
It is being shown as all the feelings are from her side while he isn't bothered.
They now have some scene where Mastani writes a letter expressing condolences for Balaji's death!
Historically that was not a possibility at all given the age difference between Bajirao and Mastani.
The number of times Baji says Kashi doesn't understand him and that he expected her to, indicates that they are bent on showing no bond at all between husband and wife!
Strange.. That makes me at least hate Mastani even more.. This forced distortion..!
BeyondHorizon thumbnail
@kahiliginger - Thanks for those references 😊 Will definitely read them.
@prettypri - The problem lies with the audience who are a sucker for romance and believe in the theory of someone is made for somebody somewhere that implies that there is only one true love. While that maybe true in an ideal scenario, humans are flawed. Viewers just want to believe that Bajirao fell in love with Mastani coz he had no choice when he got married to Kashi and that the alliance was forced upon him as showed in the serial. It is nowhere mentioned that Mastani was a warrior but I have seen some sources cite that she was trained in swordfighting. Being trained and wielding the weapon in battlefield are two different things. Many here argue that Bajirao found more commonalities between himself and Mastani and hence their love story is justified. I am not challenging Bajirao Mastani love story on moral grounds. I guess none of us took offense when Arjuna in Mahabharata married Subhadra even though he was married to Draupadi. The problem lies with the storytelling. In the movie, viewers could not empathize with Mastani because she was the one who pursued Bajirao while Bajirao even though attracted to her restrained his feelings out of loyalty for Kashi but when he saw Mastani staked her honor and her life for him he gave in to her relentless pursuit. There were many instances in the movie which would make the viewer hate Mastani. For instance Kashi Mastani confrontation before Pinga where Mastani tells Kashi - "Unhone hamara haath pakda hai lekin aapka choda nahin" This irked me a lot 😡 Did she imply that Bajirao was doing a favor by not leaving Kashi? Kashi was his legally wedded wife for crying out loud. Did Mastani think her love was great enough for Bajirao to dump Kashi but Bajirao did not leave her out of pity or anything else? Would Mastani be OK if tables were turned? Also another instance where Bajirao tells he cannot be solely hers coz Kashi is his first wife and Mastani says she is OK with it. For once did she think Kashi would be OK with it? In the TV show they are showing Mastani to be the daughter who is ill treated by everyone in the kingdom. Weird part is there is no evidence to state that Mastani's mother was Chhatrasal's wife and many claim she was just a mistress in which case Mastani was never a princess. And Mastani too would have some political intellect if she was raised in the kingdom and I am sure she was no sacrificial lamb as she is made out to be. If she could influence a man like Bajirao I am sure she was not all that naive as she is portrayed to be. She knew how to survive in the peshwa household and for that she needed some amount of conniving intellect too. So why is it that she is painted a victim and the rest of the peshwa household villains? Why can't all the characters including Mastani and the peshwai be grey shaded characters? 

And these TV makers try to compare their sloppy storylines to GoT where the portrayal of grey shaded characters is at its best and these guys cant ever come close to it coz of their own shady writing.
zaniax thumbnail
Good to read everyone's POV's. I personally sense PB going from bad to worse in future IF they continue playing with fictional liberty. TBH, at this point I'm not even interested in romance..just wish to see a few episodes solely focusing on Bajirao becoming peshwa.