Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BeyondHorizon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: zaniax

Good to read everyone's POV's. I personally sense PB going from bad to worse in future IF they continue playing with fictional liberty. TBH, at this point I'm not even interested in romance..just wish to see a few episodes solely focusing on Bajirao becoming peshwa.

Of course everyone wants the focus to be on how Bajirao became the peshwa but the lil of what they show of what could have been the peshwa's personal space should make sense. Coming to fictional liberty it should align with the stats thats already present but here even the historical dates are being screwed just to showcase Bajirao's epic love story.
kahiliginger thumbnail

Originally posted by: BeyondHorizon

@kahiliginger - Thanks for those references 😊 Will definitely read them.

@prettypri - The problem lies with the audience who are a sucker for romance and believe in the theory of someone is made for somebody somewhere that implies that there is only one true love. While that maybe true in an ideal scenario, humans are flawed. Viewers just want to believe that Bajirao fell in love with Mastani coz he had no choice when he got married to Kashi and that the alliance was forced upon him as showed in the serial. It is nowhere mentioned that Mastani was a warrior but I have seen some sources cite that she was trained in swordfighting. Being trained and wielding the weapon in battlefield are two different things. Many here argue that Bajirao found more commonalities between himself and Mastani and hence their love story is justified. I am not challenging Bajirao Mastani love story on moral grounds. I guess none of us took offense when Arjuna in Mahabharata married Subhadra even though he was married to Draupadi. The problem lies with the storytelling. In the movie, viewers could not empathize with Mastani because she was the one who pursued Bajirao while Bajirao even though attracted to her restrained his feelings out of loyalty for Kashi but when he saw Mastani staked her honor and her life for him he gave in to her relentless pursuit. There were many instances in the movie which would make the viewer hate Mastani. For instance Kashi Mastani confrontation before Pinga where Mastani tells Kashi - "Unhone hamara haath pakda hai lekin aapka choda nahin" This irked me a lot 😡 Did she imply that Bajirao was doing a favor by not leaving Kashi? Kashi was his legally wedded wife for crying out loud. Did Mastani think her love was great enough for Bajirao to dump Kashi but Bajirao did not leave her out of pity or anything else? Would Mastani be OK if tables were turned? Also another instance where Bajirao tells he cannot be solely hers coz Kashi is his first wife and Mastani says she is OK with it. For once did she think Kashi would be OK with it? In the TV show they are showing Mastani to be the daughter who is ill treated by everyone in the kingdom. Weird part is there is no evidence to state that Mastani's mother was Chhatrasal's wife and many claim she was just a mistress in which case Mastani was never a princess. And Mastani too would have some political intellect if she was raised in the kingdom and I am sure she was no sacrificial lamb as she is made out to be. If she could influence a man like Bajirao I am sure she was not all that naive as she is portrayed to be. She knew how to survive in the peshwa household and for that she needed some amount of conniving intellect too. So why is it that she is painted a victim and the rest of the peshwa household villains? Why can't all the characters including Mastani and the peshwai be grey shaded characters? 

And these TV makers try to compare their sloppy storylines to GoT where the portrayal of grey shaded characters is at its best and these guys cant ever come close to it coz of their own shady writing.

Some writers and film or TV show makers are just messing with our heads and our sensibilities. Neither Kashi nor Mastani did many of those things which media had been showcasing. When they credit the character for more than what she actually did or was responsible for, just for the sake of adding drama to the script it gets quite annoying at times. Media is notorious for manipulating facts in the way in which they are presented.

Let me demonstrate this with an example. There is a letter in the Peshwa Daftar written by Baba Fadnavis (father of the famed Nana Fadnavis) dated 1737, the contents of which translate as follows- there is no distance in the relationship between Kashibai and Mastani, they get more cordial with every passing day.

I am not bluffing guys, the letter actually exists. Some scholars who are unfamiliar with 18th century Marathi have translated the contents erroneously to read as follows- there was no distinction in the status of Kashibai and Mastani. This was meant to suggest that Mastani enjoyed the same status as Kashi's in the family and the Peshwa's court. This interpretation is the result of an error in translation of the language.

Going by the true meaning of the contents of the letter one concludes that Kashi and Mastani had a fairly cordial relationship. There was no animosity between the two as has been suggested by Doubting Thomas es who love to bash the Peshwa family over the Mastani debacle.
Edited by kahiliginger - 6 years ago
BeyondHorizon thumbnail

Originally posted by: kahiliginger

Some writers and film or TV show makers are just messing with our heads and our sensibilities. Neither Kashi nor Mastani did many of those things which media had been showcasing. When they credit the character for more than what she actually did or was responsible for, just for the sake of adding drama to the script it gets quite annoying at times. Media is notorious for manipulating facts in the way in which they are presented.

Let me demonstrate this with an example. There is a letter in the Peshwa Daftar written by Baba Fadnavis (father of the famed Nana Fadnavis) dated 1737, the contents of which translate as follows- there is no distance in the relationship between Kashibai and Mastani, they get more cordial with every passing day.

I am not bluffing guys, the letter actually exists. Some scholars who are unfamiliar with 18th century Marathi have translated the contents erroneously to read as follows- there was no distinction in the status of Kashibai and Mastani. This was meant to suggest that Mastani enjoyed the same status as Kashi's in the family and the Peshwa's court. This interpretation is the result of an error in translation of the language.

Going by the true meaning of the contents of the letter one concludes that Kashi and Mastani had a fairly cordial relationship. There was no animosity between the two as has been suggested by Doubting Thomas es who love to bash the Peshwa family over the Mastani debacle.

Thanks for pointing that out! That was why I specifically pointed out the portrayal on screen 😊 Everyone loves a forbidden tragic love story and that is why we get to see a distorted version. We need to bear in mind that we are only seeing a fictional character but since they had existed in the past we end up comparing their fictional and real self. I agree there should be fictional liberty but a line needs to be drawn too. Wish the makers could realise this. Kashi and Mastani could have co-existed peacefully but unfortunately for makers it doesn make for a masala potboiler.
prettypri thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BeyondHorizon

@kahiliginger - Thanks for those references 😊 Will definitely read them.

@prettypri - The problem lies with the audience who are a sucker for romance and believe in the theory of someone is made for somebody somewhere that implies that there is only one true love. While that maybe true in an ideal scenario, humans are flawed. Viewers just want to believe that Bajirao fell in love with Mastani coz he had no choice when he got married to Kashi and that the alliance was forced upon him as showed in the serial. It is nowhere mentioned that Mastani was a warrior but I have seen some sources cite that she was trained in swordfighting. Being trained and wielding the weapon in battlefield are two different things. Many here argue that Bajirao found more commonalities between himself and Mastani and hence their love story is justified. I am not challenging Bajirao Mastani love story on moral grounds. I guess none of us took offense when Arjuna in Mahabharata married Subhadra even though he was married to Draupadi. The problem lies with the storytelling. In the movie, viewers could not empathize with Mastani because she was the one who pursued Bajirao while Bajirao even though attracted to her restrained his feelings out of loyalty for Kashi but when he saw Mastani staked her honor and her life for him he gave in to her relentless pursuit. There were many instances in the movie which would make the viewer hate Mastani. For instance Kashi Mastani confrontation before Pinga where Mastani tells Kashi - "Unhone hamara haath pakda hai lekin aapka choda nahin" This irked me a lot 😡 Did she imply that Bajirao was doing a favor by not leaving Kashi? Kashi was his legally wedded wife for crying out loud. Did Mastani think her love was great enough for Bajirao to dump Kashi but Bajirao did not leave her out of pity or anything else? Would Mastani be OK if tables were turned? Also another instance where Bajirao tells he cannot be solely hers coz Kashi is his first wife and Mastani says she is OK with it. For once did she think Kashi would be OK with it? In the TV show they are showing Mastani to be the daughter who is ill treated by everyone in the kingdom. Weird part is there is no evidence to state that Mastani's mother was Chhatrasal's wife and many claim she was just a mistress in which case Mastani was never a princess. And Mastani too would have some political intellect if she was raised in the kingdom and I am sure she was no sacrificial lamb as she is made out to be. If she could influence a man like Bajirao I am sure she was not all that naive as she is portrayed to be. She knew how to survive in the peshwa household and for that she needed some amount of conniving intellect too. So why is it that she is painted a victim and the rest of the peshwa household villains? Why can't all the characters including Mastani and the peshwai be grey shaded characters? 

And these TV makers try to compare their sloppy storylines to GoT where the portrayal of grey shaded characters is at its best and these guys cant ever come close to it coz of their own shady writing.

I completely agree with everything you said!
They are trying to create sympathy for Mastani and not doing a good job of it either!
She isn't so badly off that she should try to defy everyone all the time! And that letter she wrote had nothing in it that would cause Bajirao to quote it to his wife!
If they want to show that he had nothing in common with Kashi that is stupid because those days this kind of marriage was the norm and the two at least know each other well enough! And he is resisting all her attempts to get close to him while mooning about some unknown!
Obviously she being a wife of  that era cannot defy tradition and Mastani will be able to quite easily as she isn't his wife and not expected to conform anyway!
And the movie...that was pathetic and I hated Mastani all the way..!
Here I hate Bajis attitude more...I am sure they are planning to show that the support he always wanted is what will drive him to love Mastani...
If it was fictional,it would be ok even but when history clearly says he had children with Kashi and it was a good marriage for years,I don't know what their intentions are!
They may even show Kashi being vindictive and Mastani being magnanimous!
Heard an interview snippet where they said that the story of how Mastani was treated by the family would b shown...and that doesn't bode well at all..I think the plan to show enemies of true love kind of thing..
I actually like Kashi as well so maybe I hate the very idea of Mastani..but sadly most don't share this view..the live story is what excites them!
I don't even see what beauty is there in that kind of love where a man like Baji would defy everyone he holds dear for one person!
They are going to vilify everyone !
BeyondHorizon thumbnail

Originally posted by: prettypri

I completely agree with everything you said!
They are trying to create sympathy for Mastani and not doing a good job of it either!
She isn't so badly off that she should try to defy everyone all the time! And that letter she wrote had nothing in it that would cause Bajirao to quote it to his wife!
If they want to show that he had nothing in common with Kashi that is stupid because those days this kind of marriage was the norm and the two at least know each other well enough! And he is resisting all her attempts to get close to him while mooning about some unknown!
Obviously she being a wife of  that era cannot defy tradition and Mastani will be able to quite easily as she isn't his wife and not expected to conform anyway!
And the movie...that was pathetic and I hated Mastani all the way..!
Here I hate Bajis attitude more...I am sure they are planning to show that the support he always wanted is what will drive him to love Mastani...
If it was fictional,it would be ok even but when history clearly says he had children with Kashi and it was a good marriage for years,I don't know what their intentions are!
They may even show Kashi being vindictive and Mastani being magnanimous!
Heard an interview snippet where they said that the story of how Mastani was treated by the family would b shown...and that doesn't bode well at all..I think the plan to show enemies of true love kind of thing..
I actually like Kashi as well so maybe I hate the very idea of Mastani..but sadly most don't share this view..the live story is what excites them!
I don't even see what beauty is there in that kind of love where a man like Baji would defy everyone he holds dear for one person!
They are going to vilify everyone !

@red - Exactly! Those days that was the norm and even in recent times arranged marriage is more common than we like to believe. As u rightly said Mastani being his concubine/mistress/2nd wife is not bound by tradition and she is free to define her own rules but Kashi was bound by them. 
@blue - that is what will happen and we need to brace ourselves to see this crap 🤢
Mastani is being glorified for no joy. I am not saying don't show her in good light but don't show Kashi in a bad light to appease those viewers who like a dumb love story. 
@green - couldn't have put it better 👍🏼 Thats exactly my thought too.

P.S - Why on earth can't those dumb CVs just visit this forum once and read our thoughts about this track? 😡😡😡
Edited by BeyondHorizon - 6 years ago