Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MNMS thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

hey maryam, no one was offended i think...infact abhijit loves it i know πŸ˜‰ really...but let's just limit it πŸ˜‰ but that does not mean you can't tell him uncle... he is your uncle for sure πŸ˜† and you can only call me di πŸ˜‰ but i am not offended when you pick on me....πŸ˜›

Sowmyaa di... i know what you mean😊..and thanks for understanding πŸ€—

As for Dr. AS...Yeah... he is my Uncle 😈..................................πŸ˜† i know Dr. AS loves to be called UncleπŸ˜³πŸ˜‰

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Hey!!!

No one asked us to close the so called virtual club.No one expressed their displeasure.But we felt spamming is not such a good habit.

However "Ati sarvatra varjayet" (Excessiveness is  always harmful),So extreme fun is also harmful.

Cheers,

Mythili

ishan2003 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
I find the whole Uncle/Aunty thing ridiculous as well...I have never called anyone uncle or aunty, its not in my nature...I call all my parents' friends by their names...and I feel comfortable with that, I even call my own chachu by his name, because he doesn't want me to call him kaka or kaku (chacha in bengali).
MNMS thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Funny thing is that Desis use the words 'aunty' and 'uncle' after the name as opposed to before as it is properly done in English. So It should be, say Aunt Maryam as opposed to what I say: Maryam-Aunty.

πŸ€”

Shabnam Aapu..... This is the time! Give me English lessonsπŸ˜†

zoobygoo thumbnail
I don't get why we do that. I only attach Aunty and Uncle to my parent's friends.No one else.
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: zoobygoo

I don't get why we do that. I only attach Aunty and Uncle to my parent's friends.No one else.

Dr. AS must be thrilled to read that! 
I wonder the same exact thing! We already have grandmas, grandpas, uncles, aunts, bhaiyaas and bhabhis...what's teh need to force another relation?! Of course, over a period of time, if two people become such close friends that they give their relationship a bhai behan name, it's alright!! But just calling teh vendors and other casual acquaintances uncle and aunty bothers me πŸ˜• (Although I used to call teh autowala uncle when I was a little kid...I've grown out of it now 😳 πŸ˜† )

P.S. An eight year old kid called me aunty when I was fourteen 😭 I'm tall and kids are short, so they just assume anyone taller than them is aunty material πŸ˜† So don't feel bad πŸ˜‰
bigmouth thumbnail
hmmm...well see, it depends for me on where i am. when im in india, every passing stranger is my "bhaiya", "didi", "auntyji", or "uncleji". we do this there for respect's sake, not to please ourselves. or not me atleast. here, in the U.S., we call even our friends' moms && dads by their names, as that's what the country thinks of as proper. so, i think it all depends on where you're at. i have no problem saying it though 😳 πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰

cheeers,
himani
Sharmii thumbnail
This topic is very good.
Actually i myslef address people who elder to me on this forum with 'di'.I hope they are not offended. πŸ˜†
In india you cant possible call the taxi driver Mr Taxi Driver!!!So bahiyya bhai sahab are just form of addressing with respect.
You have irritating people in the restaurant who call waiters with a 'sshh sshhh'.Thats so insulting.
Dimdim thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I refrain from using any kind of title because I  live in the USA. Here its different from our country . I think  its  very normal to address someone by a certain title back home.

To me using a title like uncle or aunty is more out of respect than forming a relationship. When it comes to taxi drivers and Rickshawallaws its always AAP or TUMHI ( MARATHI)which works for me.

These words sound very hollow and fake to me .
Edited by Dimdim - 17 years ago