Uncle!!! Aunty!!! Bhayya!!! Didi!!

Posted: 13 years ago

Dear Friends!!!

We encounter several people in ourlives.Some people we interact often though not really siginificant but not insignificant also.So for these type of interactions we need to address them by saying "ABC ji" or "Mr ABC" or female version "Ms ABC " or "Mrs ABC ji".If they are of some good acquaintance and very very much elder to us we may attach "Uncle" "Aunty "tags to their names.

Driving the point home...

Somany people in South Asian countries attach "Uncle","Aunty","Bhayya","Bhabhi","Didi" tags to every tom dick and harry.They call auto wala,paper boy ,vegetable vendor every other man (except for husband or fiance) with some relation.See!!! They are also humans but is it necessary to put a tag of some relation.I just hate this.I never use these things .I call only my brothers as Bhayya and only my uncles and well known elderly people as Uncles.

"Is'nt this Uncle,aunty,Bhayya..,Didi addressal downmarket???"

or

Do you think people use these words for some sort of security or for display of their affection???

Cheers,

Mythili

PS:In DM I call Dr Abhijit as Uncle sometimes but just as a part of my humour.

Source of inspiration for my post :Today a 7th standard girl called me Aunty!!!AngryI really got irked!!!

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 13 years ago
0 Likes this
Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

PS:In DM I call Dr Abhijit as Uncle sometimes but just as a part of my humour.

List the people below that find it funny:

1, Mythili_Kiran

List is equivalent to the number of Stars in the milky way and I'm the proxima centuri.

0 Likes this
I feel, We asians feel every relationship has to be given a name, or else there has something terrible with the picture. We cannot have a relationship of mutual respect without putting a name to it

Is respect only associated with Di,Bhai, Uncle, Aunty?

Why cant two people be just friends? of the same stature? Why does everything have to be a relation?
0 Likes this

Originally posted by sareg

I feel, We asians feel every relationship has to be given a name, or else there has something terrible with the picture. We cannot have a relationship of mutual respect without putting a name to it

Why cant two people be just friends? of the same stature? Why does everything have to be a relation?

Verymuch true!!! I need not call you Sareg Uncle or Sareg Bhayya... I can just call you Sareg ji!!

0 Likes this

Originally posted by sareg

I totally go wid u!! its a habbit! U do need to give a nameDead

Take Care

Anoli

xxx

0 Likes this
Agree it is irking especially when you come from abroad. But it is also easy to fall into the practise. What do you call your older van driver/ school cleaner etc?
0 Likes this
well Im used to it..
so not much weird..

but any body outside the system may find it funny..

One of my friends calls all men uncle..and there is this guy in our canteen who is some two years younger to us.. se could have called him bhaiya.. but "Uncle" here too..
that irks me more...

age and the relationship you give them should match...
0 Likes this

[Content Removed]