Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lizzy84 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I do not understand why any reasonable human being should see loopholes and double standard in this. 

Both arguments complement each other. They can be distilled as

1. I own my body. 
2. No one else owns my body. 

The only time they can be seen as contradictory is the regressive mindset that thinks a woman's ownership of her body and sexuality is an open invitation for anyone and everyone to sexualize her. 

I agree with your points. 
But please can you elaborate @bold
lizzy84 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
@Angel like devil
As I had to shoulder the responsibility of 'IFnaming' you I will go with Angel:)
-lizzy 
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
@Angel 
Regarding this
"people are bashing the same woman who owns her own body, when she says women are objectified"

Feminism is a complex issue. Women around the world are not the same. Every woman has a unique set of issues that are important to her. The freedom and rights that one woman seeks is not the same as the other. 

A lot of Muslim friends I grew up with fought the hijaab as a sign of oppression. I grew up perceiving the hijaab to be oppressive. But today many Muslim women are fighting for their right to express themselves.  

Similarly, when it comes to controversial issues like po*n and prostitution, many women believe these to be inherently anti-feminist. But many women feel that it can be a personal choice. 

@angel & lizzy

Regarding "sexualization" of women

A woman's body is often not seen as matter of fact. Once a certain level of skin is exposed society immediately sees it as a "sexual act". Breastfeeding in public is a controversial issue because the exposed breast is considered obscene/sexually explicit. People cannot unlearn this and see that its just a part of a woman's body. 

If a woman dresses skimpily - it is believed that the only intent is to attract sexual attention. 

If she has sex - it is believed that she is open to sleep with anyone. 

In the case of Emma Watson having a revealing photo shoot - immediately she is perceived as being sexual and encouraging objectification - when all she was doing was owning her body. 
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@RTH -- I was talking along the lines of 'feminism as a confusing concept' in my original post, not that I am discrediting it, but I feel the 'movement' has to move on to something less confusing because of the very reasons mentioned... 

Thanks for elaborating on sexualization.

I think the biggest issue is just one thing - that people project way too much of their thoughts/assumptions as universal truths, and this is being oppressive to women and even men. There is no respect of another human for the human they are.

This is why I believe in gender neutrality! :D 
It may not be an absolute concept, will not be a panacea to our problems, but the way I imagine it, it would remove lot of confusion, oppression and so on :) ..I think ultimately, it is people who have to change from within.. it will be a long journey.
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 7 years ago

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4168308&PID=115102986&#p115102986

@RTH --- ^^^ I guess our discussion is coming down to the one we had a couple of years ago :p 

There's no disagreement about the cause, or the issues, but I guess it's in the way I want to a review and revamp of the movement into something I envision as being less confusing and more clear.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
@Angel 
Nothing that is a social science will ever be simple or even less complex until human behavior itself can be simplified. Humans are complex and we have to embrace the fact that human social concepts will be complex. 

To begin - you speak of gender neutrality. What is gender? Is gender binary or a spectrum? Is gender hard science or is it a social construct? Do gender roles exist because of gender or does gender exist because of gender roles? How does transgender identities fit into gender neutrality If gender is neutral - does it matter what gender you identify as? 

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

@Angel 

Nothing that is a social science will ever be simple or even less complex until human behavior itself can be simplified. Humans are complex and we have to embrace the fact that human social concepts will be complex. 

To begin - you speak of gender neutrality. What is gender? Is gender binary or a spectrum? Is gender hard science or is it a social construct? Do gender roles exist because of gender or does gender exist because of gender roles? How does transgender identities fit into gender neutrality If gender is neutral - does it matter what gender you identify as? 

Agreed, and the society is always in a transition, all social concepts are in a transition, a transition where we keep re-viewing, re-defining, re-vamping and re-orienting them according to the changing the realities of time.

Every concept is always in an evolution - while retaining the original essence of it, and that is why I think shifting focus or rather evolving from feminism to gender equality/neutrality because it looks less confusing, IMO. Why so much hoopla around a label may I ask? Both aim for and have a foundation on human rights(feminism and gender equality/neutrality)

(I have "/" neutrality with equality because both are almost same, are identical to an extent, but more complementary to one another - the way I see it, equality recognizes all genders, neutrality just goes a step ahead and says, 'whatever' - you are human, you are respected.)

What is gender?
At present, I'd say there are three recognised genders - male, female, transgender. Anyway, a dictionary definition - 

[gender
d'nd/
noun
  1. 1.
    the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
    "traditional concepts of gender"
  2. 2.
    GRAMMAR
    (in languages such as Latin, French, and German) each of the classes (typically masculine, feminine, common, neuter) of nouns and pronouns distinguished by the different inflections which they have and which they require in words syntactically associated with them. Grammatical gender is only very loosely associated with natural distinctions of sex.
.]

Is gender binary or a spectrum?
A spectrum(biologically and socially), but my absolute answer for this would be, does it matter? How does it matter? I may sound overtly idealistic, but it's just a vision, it does not matter what the gender or sex of the person is. Other than making certain civic amenities available for the convenience of humans in their daily life, as social beings we are.

Is gender hard science or a social construct?
A social construct. We have a sex, we are biologically - male/female/other. But gender is a social construct.

Do gender roles exist because of gender or gender exists because of gender roles?
Both.

Isn't the issue of gender role becoming blurry? Does everyone ascribe to gender roles? What gender role does a transgender have? Gender in itself is a social construct.

Gender role is something we, at present are aiming to free ourselves from, even if there are people who still want to play gender roles in their own lives - atleast we want to stop the oppression of what a 'woman/man ought to as a woman/man'. We aim for humanity.

How does transgender identities fit into gender neutrality If gender is neutral - does it matter what gender you identify as? 

In the context of gender neutrality, transgender would have no burden of fighting for their gender because we would be focusing solely on human rights, your sex - your private matter. Every human has their own identity that is not dependent on their sex. Every human is protected, is an individual, and most importantly, is respected.

No, it does not matter what gender you identify as. You are human, you are respected as a human, irrespective of your sex, this - is not absolute however, you will have separate lavatories owing to your sex, there will be some distinction like in clothes, recruitment for army, prisons, choice to make decision in terms of health/medical aid, and so on. These little restraints are for convenient functioning of society.

The goal is to respect every human for who they are, not for what they are biologically, to make sure no person irrespective of their sex is discriminated. I speak this on broad terms. 

Sex is not neutral, it is more of a private matter, it matters only where it ought to matter - like I have mentioned before for the convenient functioning of society. 

RTH, I apologize if I have not been clear anywhere. The basic point is, I am for gender equality/neutrality, and no, the two concepts aren't separate in my head... no social concept is an air-tight compartment, they work for one another if not an off-shoot of a basic concept of human rights. And, I also say this, that gender neutrality would have it's own challenges in future.. who knows what future may be like? Nothing is simple or static.
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I think the topic should read - "Does the debate on feminism lag behind the feminist movement itself?". Anything else is not making much sense to me. Actually, even my construction of the subject header is rickety but whatever!

It's true that we all own our bodies; it' also true that we all own our minds. So, if I find a picture or video of, say, a scantily clad Scar Jo titillating, then that's my prerogative. Did "sexualization" happen? Damn straight it did. Now, did Scar Jo "self-objectify" herself in the picture/video? Did I objectify her? Is it the media? Is it in my male genes to be visually, physically, psychologically stimulated? You are free to narrow it down or reduce it to whatever you see fit. All I can say is, if a scantily clad Scar Jo willingly appears on the cover of Esquire as the "sexiest woman alive" and insists that she should not be "objectified" but only admired for her persona and IQ, my advise to her would be to instead appear on the Mensa magazine with her insights on Einstein's relativity.

On Gender - this is unnecessarily complicated and politicized. Sex assignment happens at birth. Usually a physician attests to the sex of the person born. If, for whatever reasons, the person chooses to identify with a sex that differs from their assigned sex, I see no harm, no foul. But this cannot / doesn't take away from the fact that the person was born with a definitive sex with no attached ambiguity. In some cases, sex determination can/does happen even before birth.

On feminism - I would support equal rights for all. Top down and inside out. Whichever sex is discriminated, whichever race is discriminated, whichever ethnic, religious minority is discriminated, whichever caste, creed is discriminated...efforts should be made to fight that discrimination by one and all and not just by those that are in that bucket. Balancing acts that shower special considerations on those perceived discriminated in order to "fix the past" may quickly fall into the trap of "two wrongs make a right".

^^ K, agree with everything 👏

But on Scar Jo being objectified.. I say that when it is natural to find people sexy, there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. Like, making derogatory statements against the girl on cover, taking for her being 'loose' person and so on... The mind shall wander, but be watchful of how you conduct yourself I guess 😛 It is the way people react to, act with, voice derogatory/crass words that is the issue.. 

What a person finds sexy is highly subjective and I think that should also be respected.. To desire a person for their flesh is natural too, in the 'objective' sense. Doesn't place them below the intellectually attractive... :)
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks ALD. I find myself agreeing with a lot of your posts too.

With celebrities and models, the "judging" comes with the territory It's showbiz for a reason. It would be hypocritical on their part to expect people NOT talk about their looks and their dresses, when they willingly appear in front of the camera. Of course, it goes without saying that regular people not associated with the entertainment industry or the fashion industry, not on camera, are completely off limits from any such "objectification".