Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago
"I always choose strong characters"

Though he's been on the small screen since a long time, it was with Balaji's Kahiin Toh Hoga, where he played a convincing father to Aamna Shariff, that Chetan Panditgot noticed. With many ads and a few films to his credit, this theatre actor has also featured in shows namely, Chandrakanta, Aahat, Kya Hadsa Kya Haqekat, Kahiin Toh Milege and Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.

Prashant Golecha meets up with Chetan who is currently associated with Maverick Production's Kulvaddhu where he plays Samar Rathod.

Why did you quit Kahin To Hoga?
I did KTH for one and a half years. With the progress of the story the spine of the character was lost so I bid adieu to the show.

Didn't you have any apprehensions of playing a father to Aamna when you're just 33?
No I had no apprehensions about playing older characters. I always choose strong characters, who have a say in the story. I am open to all sorts of roles. Many a times people are taken aback to find me looking so much younger in real life.

Has Balaji approached you post KTH?
Balaji kept offering me roles but somehow I couldn't give in because of commitments or some or the other reason. But if they come up with a strong character in any show I will surely grab it.

How did Kulvaddhu happen?
Maverick Productions called me and narrated the character of Samar Rathod. I liked it and here I am. As the plot unfolds, my role will have a variety of shades.

Do you think it is easy to get work on television?
It's very easy! There is a superfluity of channels, production houses and shows in this industry. But what is difficult is to get quality work! Very less people are inclined towards it.

How do you look back at your career?
In all, I have done more than fifty serials and a lot of films but I still feel I haven't got my due recognition. I have realized that everything in life has a right time.

Tell us about your family.
My wife, Kanupriya Pandit is from the theatre background. Her group is called Killol and their forte is children's theatre. I have two daughters Kavvya and Aatya.

Any passions other than acting?
It has to be music, singing, writing lyrics and poetry. I have given music to at least 25 plays.

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/jan/5jan/interview.php

shruti thumbnail
'I'm sure my career will rock in 2007!'
Friday, January 05, 2007 12:21:36 IST
Shaleen Bhanot, the dude from Jabalpur played a wife beater in Saat Phere. Now he gets his big break as the main negative lead in Kulvaddhu. Shaleen comes across as a simple guy who is debonair and down to earth besides being a good and focussed actor.
</>

How did acting happen?
I came to Bombay for three days, for business reasons, which to my luck got postponed for a while. I was exploring Bombay and my adventurous instincts suggested me to try out the ongoing auditions for an MTV show Roadies-2. As usual, I was lucky and was selected for the show. I got an opportunity to perform some very fearful acts and this made me realise my potential to do something beyond my dad's business. That is when my creative edge took over and I got inclined towards acting.

How did the journey begin?
I started with a cameo in Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi, which led to a cameo in Ayushman. Then a Bengali film came my way, in which I was cast with Mithun Chakraborthy. Dedication towards my work led me to two very challenging projects; Saat Phere, where I played a very bad guy- Karan, and Sanya where I was a cute, chocolate college going boy, always trying to impress everyone, especially Sanya.

Tell us about your family background?
I come from a business family from Jabalpur. We have an offset printing press and publishing house. My father is the one who taught me the way to live in the real world, and my mother over pampers me (laughs).

How did you bag the role in Kulvaddhu?
I went for the auditions after I received a call from the production house, Maverick. I was lucky to be selected.
n A little about your character and what is so special about it?
n I play Agni, a very strong but closed personality. He is individualistic and his urge to be a perfectionist makes him a loner. The entire family is scared of him, since he does not mingle with anyone, because of a defect in his left leg that makes him negative towards himself. None of the family members interferes in his world. He doesn't talk much and that's why his presence is his voice. He is the surprise package of the show and that makes him special. I am getting good feedback for my character.

How is the atmosphere on the sets of Kulvaddhu?
The atmosphere on the sets is very positive and fresh. Working with Milindji, Sussmitaji, Seemaji, and other actors of that genre makes the work more lively and exciting. Working with Daljit and Imraan too is fun as we gel really well. They are good at their work. So far, I have shot more with Daljit and she is just the right girl to play the central role of Niyati. Anuj Saxena is an extraordinary human being; extremely caring and keeps in tough with all his actors. Recently I
meet with an accident wherein a dog bit me on the sets and the amount of care he took was simply unbelievable. Since he is an actor himself, he knows exactly what an actor would require to put in his best efforts and he makes sure that all his actors get it. I'm sure everyone would want to work for Maverick shows.

Don't you want to do films?
If given a chance who would not like to work for films but as of now, I want to concentrate and give my best to my character in Kulvaddhu. I believe in doing one thing at a time.

Do you think it's easy to get work on television?
I think earning honest bread is never an easy task, especially if one is in such a competitive field like ours.

What is your philosophy of life…?
Each day we make many mistakes, blunders, which if combined together can be termed as experience. I believe in not regretting but learning from my mistakes. To me appreciation of work is more important than recognition. That's how I look at life.

What do you think of Mumbai city?
Mumbai is a colossal human habitat. Living in Mumbai is like living in a factory where dreams get transformed into realities, Yahan khane wale dus hain aur roti sirf do that's why you need to work 24X7 to make your life worth. Jabalpur, being a small town, things are very relaxed where as Mumbai runs at the fastest pace. Jabalpur always takes me back to my childhood.

What are your future plans?
To give my best to all what I do and improve with every new day. Right now, I am completely focussed on Kulvaddhu. I am sure my career will rock in 2007!

http://www.cybernoon.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=xtras&am p;am p;subsection=showbuzz&xfile=January2007_tvtrack_standard 336&child=tvtrack

shruti thumbnail

By Sneha Hazarika

Till now it was the evil mother-in-law, a jealous daughter or a scheming brother/sister-in-law hailing from rich households who made life miserable for the sweet, simple heroine in most soaps.  Joining this evil gang is the bua. (paternal aunt). In many of the recent serials — Solaah Singaar, Zaara, Paraya Dhan, Betiyaan, Kuch Apne Kuch Paraye and Kulvaadhu — the new villains are the buas.

Says Sandeep Sikand, creative chief head of Sony TV, "The focus is on characters who can lure viewers. The wicked saas is always famous. To give a twist in our new show, Kulvadhu, the character of the bua is negative. At first it was the maussi (maternal aunt), but later we felt the bua would be a more influential negative character."

Anirudh Pathak, the script writer for Kulvadhu, has his own take. "Fiction is born from the cradle of fact. As a writer, I try to base my characters on real life. In Kulvadhu too you can say that about the character of a bua. In my research I found many instances wherein buas are responsible for family feuds. Hence the thought arose. I must admit though the writer alone cannot take this decision. He has to consult the creative head of the channel, the producer of the show and the director. Finally, it's a joint decision."

While Pathak is adamant about his research and blames buas for family miseries, Dheeraj Kumar, creator of another anti-bua show, Betiyaan that airs on Zee TV, has a different stand on this. "Oh please! Buas are not the source of evil in society. In television, someone has to be bad. So this time it's the bua. I had a very fruitful relationship with my aunt. In Betiyaan too we have two buas who are not hardcore villains. They are eccentric. Finally, it's all about the TRPs. If the audience likes a character then the show is a hit, otherwise the network chops it. Currently, the bad buas seem to be a hit."

Shushmita Mukherji, who essays the character of a negative bua in Kulvadhu says, "It's sad that in our industry we idolize some and demoralize the others. When we bring some character to life, like say of a bua, we ignore the social implication it would have on millions of viewers."  So it's up to the audience to treat it as a serial and not take it to heart. Because as long as the TRPs rise, the buas will have to remain bad.  (Sampurn)

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#B uas%20are%20the%20new%20villains%20on%20TV

virgoqueen thumbnail

Kulvaddhu goes green
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   January 10, 2007

Daljit Kaur
A 'turning to greens' wave has hit the sets of Kulvaddhu. Several actors from the Sony daily are becoming vegetarians. Daljit Kaur, who plays the protagonist Niyati, has forsaken meat forever. So has Shaleen Bhanot, who essays the negative role of Agni.

Says Daljit, "It was an overnight decision. On December 30, I visited the Siddhi Vinayak temple and from the next day, I decided to stop consuming non-veg food, even eggs."

Daljit says she has turned vegetarian forever and now nothing can tempt her to go back. "I am a pucca Sardarni who has always lived on meats. I must have gorged on every kind of meat, including duck."

Thanksgiving

The actress, who earlier featured in shows like CID and Aahat, says that in the past she had contemplated turning to greens but there was no motivation.

"Now, my biggest motivation is Kulvaddhu itself. I needed to give back something for the big break that the Lord gave me in the show. My decision to turn vegetarian is my way of thanking the Lord," says the actress.

The rest of her family is still non-vegetarian. "They don't mind and goad me to stick to my decision. My parents are in Pune and I stay in Mumbai by myself. My flatmate too is quite supportive of my decision. I took the vow to only consume greens on January 1. It is my New Year resolution which will never be broken for life."

Shaleen Bhanot
The turning point

Shaleen too decided to turn vegetarian from January 1.

"I come from a Brahmin family based in Jabalpur. At home, no one consumes non-veg fare. I was the only exception. This was due to the fact that I stayed in hostels and ate whatever I could along with friends."

So what prompted Shaleen to take the plunge? "I always used to harbour those thoughts but somehow never did it. The only time I would forsake non-veg stuff was when I would visit a temple.

On that day, I would refrain from eating meats. But then on so many occasions I would be passing a temple and could not enter the temple. Then I would regret why I had consumed it. Also, a few days back, I saw a chicken being killed and that put me off completely."

Shaleen, who was earlier seen in Saat Phere, has vowed not to touch non-veg and does not find it difficult being vegetarian. "It is not as difficult as it is made out to be; it is healthier too. Now, my regret is why did I not turn vegetarian before!"

Incidentally, both Shaleen and Daljit realised they had made similar decisions on the sets of Kulvaddhu during lunch hour. "We both laughed and hope more folks from the sets turn vegetarian!"

Edited by virgoqueen - 17 years ago
virgoqueen thumbnail

Another New Year break-up
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   January 10, 2007

Juhi Parmar and Anuj Saxena
This may come as a surprise to many, but it's all too true: actors Anuj Saxena and Juhi Parmar have split up for good.

In recent times, there was a lot of speculation that the couple would tie the knot this year, but things between them have turned so sour that Juhi is no longer a part of Anuj's new serial, which also features Nausheen Ali Sardar.

Confirms an actor who is their common friend, "Anuj and Juhi have parted ways. Things are so bad that they are not even on talking terms. Anuj will not say anything; he does not want to talk about this. "

No time for love

That things were amiss, was first visible at the launch party of Anuj's Sony drama Kulvaddhu, on Christmas Day. "Juhi turned up late and didn't stay too long. She didn't appear very cheerful. Then on New Year's Eve, Anuj preferred to party at his farmhouse outside Mumbai with his family. Juhi was conspicuous by her absence there," says the actor.

It is learnt that the relationship hit a rough patch because Anuj couldn't give Juhi time. "That's the main reason for them parting ways. Juhi wanted them to spend more time together, which Anuj found extremely difficult thanks to his numerous endeavours," the actor friend points out.

Anuj is doing two shows (Gautam Adhikari's Risshton Ki Dor on Sony and Aroona Irani's Doli Saja Ke, slated for SaharaOne).

There is also his soap Kulvaddhu as producer, besides his restaurant Blue Waters and his family business, Elder Pharma. He is also presenting Viveck Vaswani's film Dulha Mil Gaya starring Shah Rukh Khan, Sushmita Sen and Fardeen Khan. "Needles to say, Anuj has his hands full and could not devote as much time to the relationship, as Juhi would have liked."

Can't wait

So what exactly went wrong? Apparently, Juhi had high expectations from Anuj this time around (they'd been in a relationship a few years ago, after which Anuj abruptly got married to another woman).

"But Anuj just isn't prepared for a commitment at this juncture. He is a workaholic. Juhi wanted marriage and Anuj did not want to rush into anything considering he has a failed marriage behind him."

It is learnt that Juhi had grown very fond of Anuj since the time he played her husband Jatin in Kumkum four years ago. Anuj, however, did not reciprocate her feelings at that time. Later, he settled for an arranged marriage with a Delhi-based girl, Ishmit Dhadial, that ended in divorce less than a year later.

Post his divorce, Anuj was roped into Kumkum once again, but his re-entry proved to be a non-starter. Gradually, their bond was re-kindled.
Adds the co-star, "Juhi was openly expressive about her affections for Anuj at his birthday party in July last year. Later, both were spotted together at Manish Goswami's party for Kituu Sabb Jaantii Hai.

They were even seen together at a screening of Lage Raho Munnabhai at an Andheri multiplex. All this fuelled the buzz that Anuj and Juhi were indeed a couple. But I guess this had to happen. While Anuj wanted time, Juhi was in no mood to wait around for him any longer."

Meanwhile Juhi prefers to maintain a stoic silence. She says, "I'm so used to things being said about my personal life, that I have now become immune to them. I have nothing to say."

Edited by virgoqueen - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

'KULVADDHU'

Sony Entertainment Television presents Kulvaddhu, a love story of a girl who selflessly enters into a relationship to protect the family of the man she loved and cared for since her childahood. The show is aired Monday through Thursday, at 8.30 p.m.

It is a story of a young, simple girl, 'Niyati', who is passionately and unconditionally in love with her childhood friend Shaurya. Both their families would like to formalize their childhood friendship into marriage. However a shocked Niyati realises that Shaurya does not reciprocate her feelings.

At this point destiny compels the young Niyati in to a relationship to save the family's honor. She becomes the Kulvaddhu (family bride) of the Rathod family when she is not even legally married to Shaurya. What does destiny have in store for Niyati? Will she ever be able to reveal the truth to the family? What impact will the truth have on the family?

www.tvguideindia.com

Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

Dumped!

Director Ashok Gaikwad of Kulvaddhu has been thrown out even before the first episode goes on air Even before the first episode of Sony's much hyped show Kulvaddhu goes on air, actor-turned producer Anuj Saxena's unceremoniously dumps its director Ashok Gaikwad, from the show.

Apparently the director had shot only four episodes so far. When contacted, Ashok Gaikwad said, "I had to shoot day and night every day, which was taking a toll on my health. I was required to re-shoot those same scenes again.

And I couldn't take it anymore." On probing further, Gaikwad added, "I am not against reviewing, improvising or even re-shooting. I have been working in this industry for more than 40 years and have enough work to my credit. I can't allow anyone to dictate terms, especially when he has no technical knowledge as mine. If a certain quality is expected from me, then I must be given the requisite time. But they thought that I was slow. Ideally, a daily serial should start shooting at least two months in advance to have a good number of episodes in bank.

www.tvguideindia.com 

StayStrong thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Shaleen attacked by dogs
   By: Tushar Joshi
   December 22, 2006
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Bitten: Shaleen Bhanot
Shaleen Bhanot, who plays Agni in Sony's Kulvaddhu, recently discovered that not every dog is man's best friend. Says Shaleen, "My character owns four German Shepherds. We were shooting for my entry scene where I am shown playing with these dogs. In fact, I was given a ball which I had to throw at the dogs to distract them."

During the shot, the dogs seemed more interested in Shaleen than the ball. "All of a sudden, two of those dogs raced towards me. One of them bit me on my wrist while the other attacked my shoulder. I immediately started bleeding. It was quite scary."

Pampered

Anuj Saxena, who is producing the show, wasn't on the set when the incident took place but called Shaleen later in the day. "He was very sweet. Three minutes after I got bitten, he called and asked if I wanted to go home. Coming from a medical background, he arranged for doctors to treat me. The most painful part was taking five injections!"

However, the upside of his injury was that Anuj sent him cake and pastries to make him feel better. "It's now become a joke of sorts on the sets that if you want to be pampered, get bitten by a dog! Anuj even sent me a bouquet to commend me for not skipping the shoot. But on a serious note, I think Anuj's gesture was really sweet. He not only made sure I was taken care of, but also made sure I was in a state to shoot."

shruti thumbnail

Did you know that Imraan Khan, 'Shaurya' of Kulvaddhu fame, had serious plans of becoming a cardiac surgeon? Imraan tells us he was very keen to take up medicine as a profession. He even appeared for the pre-medical exams. His parents weren't aware though and when they found out they were very surprised. Because all along they were under the impression that Imraan, who took a keen interest in plays during his college days and was even a member of a theatre group called the Stage Door, would opt for a career in acting.
Well, that's what Imraan finally did.

He soon changed his mind. Today he is not only a well-known face on TV, thanks to soaps like Kulvaddhu and Saat Phere, but is also on the brink of taking a leap into Bollywood with Merchant-Ivory's next production.  Also, Imraan has another hidden talent. He's a food connoisseur. He not only likes to relish good food, but is also a good cook. According to our hero, he's a champion chef when it comes to preparing daal and daal ghosht.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#H e%20could've%20been%20a%20doctor%20or%20even%20a%20cook !

shruti thumbnail

By A.L. Chougule

Though she's going with the flow, Surbhi Tiwari is tired of a lot of things. From wearing sarees to playing the good bahu she's tired of them all. In fact, she is desperate to come out of her bahenji image and is asking production houses and channels to cast her in meaty, preferably negative, roles. "I've got my new portfolio done where I have worn swimsuits, minis and backless outfits. I hope the pictures will do the trick of convincing casting directors to consider me for bold and negative roles," she says but admits it's not easy to break the image on TV.

"It's not that I haven't done good roles. I've played the protagonist in a few shows. But I am bored of the monotony," she complains. "Variety is the spice of life and I want to do some spicy stuff. In the current scenario, negative roles are the best option for actors. There's a lot to perform in negative characters," she says.

On her role as the Rathore family bahu in Kulvaddhu, she says, "It's a positive role but the character has a past which makes it interesting though she will not do anything to break away from the family." Hari Mirchi Lal Mirchi, a comedy on DD, is the other show she's doing currently. "It's different and great fun. For a change, I am playing a dominating woman who orders others," she smiles. But her regret is that DD shows are not seen in metros.

Soon Surbhi will be seen in Aruna Irani's Doli Saja Ke Rakhna that'll be launched on Sahara next month. "Actually Arunaji had offered me a major role but before things could be finalised I was signed for Kulvaddhu. I couldn't say no to Arunaji either and so she offered me a smaller role which will require me to shoot for just five to six days in a month," she says.

About relationships, she's very clear. "I don't believe in short term relationships. A relationship is for life. In fact, I don't want to marry a guy from this industry. Life will be boring talking about shooting, shooting and more shooting. I want a change when I reach home. The guy has to be from some other profession," she says.

www.deccan.com