Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago

'I'm not here to change the industry'

'Saas-bahu kind of family drama is the only thing that seems to be working these days'

Kitu Gidwani dislikes over-the-top histrionics in television today, but says she has no other option than to go with the flow

NICOLE DASTUR

Kitu Gidwani's in a catch-22 situation. She's passionate about acting, and while she continues to do theatre, it's television that she's also attached too. However, it's the lack of meaningful roles on the small screen that force her to be a part of the average daily soap dramas. Her latest role is that of a mother in Kulvaddhu on Sony. So what made her agree to do this particular family drama? "It's another daily soap, but it's much more lavish. It's done on a much grander scale. Moreso, it has moments of intrigue in it. What I like best about my role is that there is no loud shouting or extra histrionics involved. My character is relatively low-key," says Kitu. But it's still a saas-bahu kind of family drama. Isn't she averse to the same? "Well, it's the only thing that seems to be working on television these days! And I'm not here to change the industry, I'm here to do my job. This was the most interesting role I was offered, so I took it up," says the actor. Would she want to be a part of an Ekta Kapoor production someday? "Why not? I'd love to work with Ekta someday; the woman has the television industry in the palm of her hand. If the serial is interesting and if I can work on certain terms and conditions, I'll definitely be open to the offer." Limited roles on television, scores of plays and a handful of films, is she planning to venture into direction or production now? "Producing a soap for television is not an easy job. I guess I'd have to start with theatre first," says Kitu, adding that acting is keeping her quite busy as of now. "2007 will see me in another serial too, hopefully one with a different theme. And I might be anchoring a show as well." Ask if marriage to her long time beau Sujay Sood is on the cards soon? "Not anywhere in the near future, it's just work, work and more work for me right now," laughs Kitu.

shruti thumbnail
Roshesh suffers slipped discs
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   January 20, 2007

Rajesh Kumar

It's Rajesh Kumar's birthday today but there are no celebrations. The actor has been in agony for the last couple of days, suffering from a slipped disc. Moreover, his actress wife Madhvi Chopra (Saathi Re, Thodi Si Zameen, Thoda Sa Aasmaan) is away in Kolkata performing for the play Chanakyashastra.

"My parents are with me on my birthday for the first time in 14 years, but it is my luck that I am in this condition. As they live in Patna, we could never get together on my birthday for various reasons," rues Kumar.

Slow mover

Best remembered as the mama's boy Roshesh in Sarabhai v/s Sarabhai, Rajesh now features as Subodh in Baa Bahoo Aur Baby and as Jaswant in Kulvaddhu. In fact, it was on the sets of Kulvaddhu that he injured himself while performing a dance step.

"After doing all those movements, I felt a sudden jerk in my back. I thought the pain was due to those moves and that it would subside after a while. But next morning, I couldn't even sit up in bed; the pain was excruciating. The doctor advised me to get an X-Ray which proved that the space between two vertebrates had reduced and the spine was slightly bent."

Incidentally, Rajesh had suffered a slipped disc over a decade ago while playing basketball. "After all these years, the problem has crept up again," he moans. Rajesh used to play basketball for Hindu College, New Delhi. "I've played at the national level. It was during one of the matches that I was injured. At that time if I had taken the necessary precautions, the pain would have gone."

He has now been advised to go slow. "Gymming, swimming and dancing is a definite no for a while. I have told the producers of my shows about my predicament. I can't do any scene that requires me to dance or do rigorous moves."

Rajesh has resumed shooting for both his serials. "When not required for a scene, I lie down in the make-up room. I also have to take care while going up and down steps. I cause quite a traffic jam with my slow moves!"

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/january/150450.htm 

Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

'I always see the glass as half full'

Friday, January 19, 2007 10:46:42 IST
Ayaz Khan is the latest Khan on television. He done a guest appearance in 'Bluff Master' and a cameo in the forthcoming 'Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.' He's a popular face in the ad world with many popular brands to his credit. A few episodes of a popular show later, he's bagged a prominent role, that of Rajveer Singh Rathore, son of Surbhi Tiwari and Chetan Pandit in Maverick production's, 'Kulvaddhu'.
</>

You are doing a daily soap for the first time. How does it feel?
It feels nice. It is not hectic at all. Things are quite chilled out. The number of hours is long but then one needs to work hard in any profession, or for that matter any profession.

How did you bag the role in 'Kulvaddhu'?
The production people on Sony television had seen some ads of mine and they called me for a screen test. They liked it and I was on for the project. It is an interesting role with ample of scope to perform.

What is your character in 'Kulvaddhu' called and what is so special about it?
Rajveer Singh Rathore, the good son of the family who always listens to the elders. Surbhi Tiwari is playing my mother and Chetan Pandit is playing my father. Nisha Sarin who has done Kulvaddhu is playing my girlfriend in the show.

What is the atmosphere on the sets of 'Kulvaddhu' like?
The atmosphere on the sets is very good. It is quite comfortable. Everyone knows what is 'tehzeeb'. Working pace is enjoyable. Anuj is an actor himself so knows how to keep his actors happy. There is a lot of positive environment on the sets and it does help in the performance. At the end of the day, a TV show is a team effort.

How is it working with Daljit, Kitu Gidwani and Milind Gunaji?
They all are pleasant people.
How do you find Anuj Saxena as a producer?
Maverick is a good production company and they take good care of their actors.

A little about your background…
My dad was a production controller for Nasir Husian films. I have two older brothers; one is a doctor and the other, an engineer.

How did acting happen?
I had already started modelling when I was offered an English play, 'My Best Friend's Wedding'.  I took it up happily and there has been no looking back ever since. We travelled to various cities for it. I was a runner up at the 'Gladrags Man hunt '98 after which offers for ads started pouring in. I have done ten episodes for a Zee Smile show.

Do you think it's easy to get work on television?
You have to be good in any field to get work. There is a lot of competition in every field so how can television be left behind. It is neither easy nor hard to get work. It also depends on luck and of course opportunities available. Television industry is growing fast.

How many ads have you done?
I have done about 50 television commercials and 150 press ads. A few of the prominent ads are Ponds, Nescafe, Hero Honda, Royal Palms Ltd. Etc but one of my favourite ads will always be Grasim Suitings.

You are a model for fair and handsome fairness cream. Do you regard yourself as a metro sexual male?
I like it when women take care of them selves so why should we not do the same.

Which television shows do you watch?
'Bigg Boss' (laughs).

What is the best and the worst thing about the industry?
I always see the glass as half full. So I don't dislike anything in my field. The best thing is that you are paid to be famous. There is nothing called the worst thing in this industry.

How about films?
I have done a guest appearance in 'Bluff master. I have also done a cameo in 'Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.' I am paired with Sandhya Mridhul. Another film that I've done is ready and the other one has just gone on the floors.

What's your philosophy of life…
I believe that one should just go with the flow. Live in the Present, give it your 100% and hope for the best. Be a good human being and always have a positive outlook in life.

What is your other passion besides acting?
Eating and sleeping, besides exercising.

What would you be, if not an actor?
If I had not been an actor, I would have been a chef because I love food. I can cook but now I cook only when I have an emergency.

http://www.cybernoon.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=xtras&am p;am p;subsection=showbuzz&xfile=January2007_tvtrack_standard 342&child=tvtrack

ammmu thumbnail

A man of few words

Actor Shaleen Bhanot has uttered only one word — 'Niyati', in Kulvaddhu, so far

Back to Section Stories

Ranjib Mazumder

Shaleen Bhanot
Shaleen Bhanot aka Agni in Kulvaddhu is dying to speak a few lines in the serial, literally. Shaleen, who plays the villain in the show, has already shot more than 15 episodes, but has so far, muttered a single name, 'Niyati'.

Says a source in the production house, "When Shaleen had signed the dotted line, he had been promised a meaty role in the show. Even after the completion of 15 episodes, he is mute in the show. Moreover, the actor is also a little troubled about the fact that the lead actor Imran Mashkoor Khan, is hogging the limelight all through. So, he requested the writers to give him some dialogues in the serial. Finally, the production house has granted his wish."

When contacted Shaleen said, "It was really a challenge for me to go without dialogue for days together. My character is a negative one, a little unconventional from the usual villains on the small screen. Here my facial expressions are more important than my dialogues. It was planned, so that it can create a different impact on the audience. I cannot interfere with the script, because Kulvaddhu is a plot-driven story. But, I am happy that I have started uttering dialogues which go will go on air very soon, "he said.

**Credits to -- parm11

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=12&contentid=200701220255178758ad3b870

Edited by ammmu - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
My Character & I: Sushmita Mukherjee
   January 23, 2007

Sushmita Mukherjee
Best remembered as the bumbling Kitty in Karamchand over two decades ago, Sushmita Mukherjee is seen both on the small and big screen.

Presently, she features in Ghost Bana Dost and Kulvaddhu. Here she talks about being Rajlaxmi in Kulvaddhu….

What is Rajlaxmi's main agenda in life?
Do soaps have an agenda? (laughs!) Rajlaxmi is a negative character. C'mon, how may people would even care about knowing minute details about a character from a soap? (laughs again!) Anyway, anything that makes life difficult for Kulvaddhu's protagonist Niyati (Daljit Kaur) gives Rajlaxmi a thrill. She seeks her revenge at the cost of Niyati.

What has Niyati done to irk Rajlaxmi?
Niyati has not done anything to antagonise Rajlaxmi. It is her grandmother who has. She came in the way of Rajlaxmi's love; she could not marry the man she wanted. So she makes life difficult for Niyati to prove her point.
Rajlaxmi spells a pierced chin, bobbed hair and some over-the-top make-up!

Aren't all soaps over-the-top? I am wearing a stud on my chin simply because I wore something similar in the film Khoya Khoya Chand, which I am part of. I conveniently borrowed the style.

Have you pierced your chin?
That's a secret; I can't let out trade secrets.
How far can Rajlaxmi go to achieve her aim?
She has gone as far as 18 episodes, so far (laughs).

How believable is Rajlaxmi?
As real as you can find one!

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail
Rituraj ki kahani!

Rituraj has his hands full playing a varied range of emotions on three different shows on Sony. The actor was last seen in K Street Pali Hill and has entered Kulvaddhu, Ek Ladki Anjani Si and will be seen in soon to be launched DJ's new show Jeete Hain Jiske Liye.

Rituraj: Three to tango!

So what makes him play a rich and devoted father in Ek Ladki Anjani Si and negative character in Kulvaddhu.
"I play a pretty disgusting guy in Kulvaddhu, he is a part of Sushmita's hidden past life. While in Ek Ladki… I play a rich, nice and sensible person who is a doting father.

And in DJ's new show I play a party animal who is loud and crass and a happening socialite. In all the shows I play interesting and different characters which made me say yes to all the three shows after K Street…."points out Rituraj who has done shows like K Street Pali Hill, Ghar EK Mandir, Banegi Apni Baat to name a few. The talented actor has done about thirty five shows on television and has had fourteen years of acting experience.

Here's hoping he keeps getting such diverse roles to play in the future as well…

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/jan/25jan/news_rituraj.php

Kiran. thumbnail

Anuj teams up with Afghani beauty queen
   January 26, 2007

Anuj Saxena

The maverick is at it again. After turning producer and restarauteur, the doctor-turned-actor Anuj Saxena, who also has his pharma business, now steps into the theatre world! His first stage venture as producer is
Psy-Clone, starring former Miss Afghanistan, Vida Samadzai.

Saxena describes his latest move "as an extension of my venture into the field of entertainment."

He feels it is not difficult to manage so many things. "I have an overview of all my business ventures." However, Saxena will not be acting in the play.

The play is written and directed by Sanjay Srinivas, who previously did interactive playback theatre in plays like Chanakyashastra, Chaplin In Love and The Dressing Room (on which his film was based) to his credit.

Vida Samadzai
Clone syndrome

Psy-Clone, which opens on February 4 in the city, narrates the travails of an engineer who is in the process of getting human cloning legalised. Just as he is about to submit his report, well-known personalities from history like Bheem, Marilyn Monroe, Phoolan Devi, Adolf Hitler, Lady Diana and Mahatma Gandhi spring up to add humour to the human cloning debate.

Incidentally, Srinivas had staged Psy-Clone in Mumbai in 2003 with another producer. At that time, the cast included Rajesh Puri, Aruna Sangal, Madhvi Chopra and Alekh Sangal, among others.

For Psy-Clone, Saxena's Maverick Productions has tied up with Nirav Parekh's Maincourse Entertaintment, who has staged plays like Chanakyashashtra and Paying Guest.

"As I don't have the experience, I'd rather tie up with someone who knows the job," explains Anuj.

Kabul fiza

Vida, who was Miss Afghanistan 2003, has been in Mumbai for a while and is spotted on the city's party circuit.

"This will be my first foray into the theatre world,'' she says. "I was approached by Nirav Parekh for the play. He is also planning a film for which I am in talks," says Vida.

The cast of Psy-Clone also includes Naved Aslam, Pratima Kazmi, Chinmai Kelkar, Monty Gill, Kavita Sharma and Raj Banerjee.

shruti thumbnail
In love with…..me, myself and I

Name, fame, money and adulation turns an actor into a star overnight. And if a reality check isn't kept, narcissism creeps in. Such a trait is normally found in the entertainment industry where conceit in the wings of success can make any head spin. But have our TV actors too fallen prey or is it just a mind set of a perceiver?

Prashant Golecha speaks to five different actors who are as different as chalk and cheese and finds out the truth.

Rohit Roy

Most actors are little vainer than normal people. In public places, they pretend to be what they are not. See everyone, be it an actor or a person from different profession is obsessed to a certain degree. But actors get self-obsessed because of the life they lead. There is another person behind the image of an actor. Take my example, when I saw first saw limelight after becoming an actor, I got carried away initially. But now I have equilibrated my life. I am what I am, take me or leave it. No dual image, what's inside is portrayed as it is.

Chetan Hansraj
Acting for TV is demanding. The working hours are crazy so where is the time for yourself. The 'I am somebody' attitude happens in the glamour industry. Only people who are not confident end up worrying too much about what the world thinks of them. But I will also add that a little bit of attitude is necessary otherwise people just walk over you. Self-obsession is healthy to an extent and is necessary. If you don't like yourself then how will the world like you?

Moulli Ganguly
Not all actors are not self-obsessed, only a select few are. It's like the adage that 'all models are dumb', which we all know doesn't hold an iota of truth. The acting profession is insecure. Age factor is a vital issue in our industry. Actors want to hold on to their youth, which is just not possible. The pressure to look good is constantly hanging. Say if one notices an ordinarily dressed actor in a market; it won't go down well with the on-lookers. Actors who go to public places expect people to notice them and flood them with autograph requests. If you are taking it too seriously you are inviting trouble!

Shaleen Bhanot
Actors are not self-obsessed but they do like to like themselves. I'm getting good feedback for my role in Kulvaddhu. I makes me happy to see my photographs in papers. It feels very nice inside, as my work is being noticed and recognized. Fame is an elusive term and one grows and learns with time. Obviously freshers don't have experience of handling instant fame. If one gets the right career guidance and has friends who give you fair feedback, then one remains grounded and strives for the better.

Ashish Kaul
By and large actors are not self-obsessed. Actors who have struggled hard to reach a high don't get swept off. But if one gets instant success and fame one gets carried away. It happens quite often with so many shows, so many production houses and so many channels. The entertainment industry is not organized unlike the corporate sector and you don't get genuine friends easily. Rather there are chamchas who hound you and butter you with false appreciation, and then you get trapped in an illusion. A lot of actors try to fake in public. One needs to remain grounded in life rather than running after glamour. One needs to value this field as it gives you back much more than any other profession in every sense.

http://us.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/jan/27jan/feature.php

shruti thumbnail

'My Innocence Is Extremely Sexy!'

Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:20:36 IST
</>

On your sex appeal
It lies in my eyes, attitude and smile. That's what most of the girls tell me. On second thoughts my innocence is what appeals the most.

How girls react to you…..
They appreciate my smile and tell me that I'm the ideal boy to take home to their mother.
Physically I look tough but I am a softie at heart. This is what girls often tell me.

Your first date
It was when I was in class seventh. I took one of my classmates for ice cream. We had a two rupee orange candy at the ice cream 'thela' outside our school. I still consider that as my 1st date.

Your first crush
I was in the 10th standard and traveling by train one day. It was a long journey and I thought it would be a very boring one, as I was alone. But to my luck, a pretty girl sat next to me. I could not keep my eyes off her through out the journey. I thought I'd never seen a prettier girl ever before.

Your most cherished compliment
Last year I was shooting in London for a movie. An old Asian lady came up to me and recognized me as Karan of 'Saat Phere' (she was supposedly a Mauritian Hindu). She told me not to be such a bad boy because I look very decent in real life.

Your wildest compliment
I am too hot like coffee and my innocence is extremely sexy

Love & romance
Love is the emotion of the heart which is as soft as melting wax and as clean as filtered water. Romance is an extension of love which you do share with a person of the opposite sex. Romance makes heart beat fast. It is an ocean of feelings and emotions in the direction of love and it has to be full of love.

Lust... it's a wasteful emotion.
Lust is a poison, which kills. Lust is temporary.

On a nudist beach
I would love to capture all the beauty in my eyes and make the most of the one chance given to me as if I would not get another chance ever. Since  I will be wearing only my smile, I am sure  that would attract all the girls.

What if a girl made a pass at you?
I will turn around, look by at her and make a pass at her (laughs).

Would you ask a girl out if you liked her but didn't know her well?
I wouldn't mind. That's how I can get to know her well.

What if you fell short of money on a date?
I usually take my girl out to a place where I am well known so that I impress her more. So it wouldn't be a problem. I would pay them later. Isn't that being practical?

Your dream date
It would be in the middle of a wild forest with the cold winds blowing and my girl and me sitting next to a bonfire, cuddling each other, and listening to the sound of nature and having a cozy night together.

Would you dress to impress a girl
I would love to dress for the girl of my life so that the feeling of love is refreshed every time she sees me.I dress well at all times by habit. Looking good is necessary in any case.

Flirtations
It's the easiest way to charm girls around me. Being my natural self is enough to attract them. My smile, my eyes and conversations are good enough. A healthy attitude counts.

Marriage
It is the most delicate balance existing in human relationships. Both the sides have to work rigorously to attain this right balance. Marriage is for keeps. Every man has to ultimately marry. It means adjustment and responsibility.

What if your girl caught you with your pants down?
I'll ask her if she wants me to leave it that way or put them on again (laughs).

Your wildest bedroom fantasy …
To spread warm melted chocolate all over and do what a man should do (laughs) against light soothing music and candles burning in the corner of the room

Are women a necessary evil?
The world is incomplete without them, you need them to love you, hate you, motivate you, and stand by you. You need their evil and their excellence to run this world perfectly. Life without women is like an ocean without water, cola without fizz, love without emotion, a film without characters, and dance without movement.

(Shaleen Bhanot, the young dude from Jabalpur, came to Mumbai for business. But he stayed on to become an actor. He's best remembered for his wife beating act in Saat Phere and is now gaining popularity as the main negative lead in Kulvaddhu.)

http://www.cybernoon.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=xtras&am p;am p;am p;subsection=showbuzz&xfile=January2007_lointalk_standar d39&child=lointalk

Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail
Imran Khan thrown out of Kulvaddhu
   January 31, 2007

Imran Khan thrown out of Kulvaddhu

Aishwarya Rai
Illustration

The serial's lead actor is ousted for high-handedness on the sets

Imran Mashkoor Khan, the hero of Kulvaddhu, has been sacked.
The actor, who is seen as Shourya, has been shown the door due his haughty behaviour.

The decision to chuck him out was jointly taken by the channel (Sony) and the production house (Maverick). Imran has already stopped shooting and is currently in his hometown, New Delhi.

Just before Imran left the daily, he had a showdown on the sets in front of the crew, as he was unhappy with the jacket provided to him.

Says an onlooker, "He was so angry about it that he declared that he would burn it as he was the hero of the show!" As a result, the actor had to pay the price for his high and mighty attitude.

The unknown Imran, who bagged the lead role of Shourya, had been struggling to make it to the big league since more than six years. He was earlier seen in negative roles in serials like Kashmeer and Miilee. He also featured in Dil Se Dosti.

Tall claims

Says a co-star, "Imran would tall claims on the sets about his 'body of work' and how senior he is as compared to other actors (Daljit Kaur, Shaleen Bhanot and Ayaz Khan) on the show. But the point was that no one even knew him or the roles that he played in his earlier shows!"  

Despite bagging the lead role in Kulvaddhu, Imran had been having major issues with the producers from day one. Adds the onlooker, "He would talk badly about the channel folks and the production house. In the past, too, he had refused to shoot for the show.

In fact on three occasions, he had just left the shoot midway and gone off. The production guys then had to persuade him to return and continue with the shoot."

Nakhrebaaz Imran

Imran had requested leave for Moharram, which had been granted to him. He was informed that he was out of the show before he proceeded on leave and even them that he would not return to the show."

Kulvaddhu producer Anuj Saxena preferred to keep mum about the issue. Imraan, who is in Delhi, remained unavailable for comment.

The new Shourya

Sony is keen to pencil in Bigg Boss contestant Amit Sadh again to play Shourya. Vivaan Bhatena, who features in Kumkum, is also under consideration.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/january/151037.htm