mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 7 years ago
Feel free to discuss movies you've recently seen.

Link to previous thread : http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4462198

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sherlock. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Kaabil

Interesting revenge drama. Fab acting by the whole cast especially Hrithik. Sure to have tears but the revenge part will make you happy. Good story flow and songs.
-Arsal- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Sundance 2017;

Call Me By Your Name:

Beautiful, poetic, sensual and heartbreaking, Luca Guadagnino's Call me by your Name (adapted from the novel of the same name) is a miracle.

Italy of 1983, Ellio (Timothee Chamlet), 17 and intellectually beyond his years, arrives with his parents at their villa for the summer. Every year his father picks a graduate student to come live with them the holidays. Enter Oliver (Armie Hammer), a handsome, confident and intelligent, 24 year old American. Ellio is immediately drawn to Oliver and maybe, just maybe Oliver too reciprocates those feelings. Ellio, wise and brave as he is, can't bear to not say anything, to not find out for himself and let what he feels go by.

What follows is a tale of two people trying to find themselves and each other before their time, their chance at living this powerful feeling is lost forever. Ellio and Oliver achieve the kind of closeness where you become the other person inside out hence the title. The kind of love that is profound and everlasting, that changes you forever.  

I don't think I have seen a movie that is so honest in what it says, about desire and passion, about love, intimacy and ultimately loss and the pain of it all, about growing up. It is filled with discussions on music, on philosophy, on history and about life.

My only complain is that the move doesn't show the last 40 odd pages of the book. If they had, it would have gone down as one for the ages. The last few pages are gut wrenching, and say so much about so many things. The books achieves something akin to Proust's "In Search of Lost Time". But after hearing the director, I understand why they chose not to put that to screen.

Near the end, the movie features a monologue delivered by a father to his son(Michael Stulburg) that is so kind, so pure and moving, in its humanity, in its acceptance, in the wisdom it imparts that is glows like the Sun, basking everyone and everything in its warmth, its beauty. It is gift to Ellio and to all of us lucky enough to witness it. Every parent, every person should aspire to be like that, to uphold those values. Lifted almost directly from the book, it is a masterclass in writing, in acting and film-making.

One of the best films I have ever seen, Call Me by Your Name is the kind of movie that has the power to move, to inspire and to change one for the better. I fell in love with Ellio, Oliver and their world, even more than before (a feat I thought impossible considering how much I adore the book). It is simply breathtaking and unforgettable.

10/10.

A Ghost Story:

A stunning meditation on life and death, what it means to be alive; on the immensity of  time, its passage and our place in the universe (both in time and space), how insignificant we are and yet how special. An ode to memory, loss and grief. I have never quite seen anything like it.

Casey Affleck and Roneey Mara play a couple, Casey's character dies and then returns home from the morgue as a ghost, covered in just a bedsheet. (These are not spoilers)

The first part is deliberately slow, there is an incredible single take of 4-5 minutes as Rooney Mara's character eats a pie while grieving over her over dead husband and the ghost, helpless,  watches on. There are long stretches of silence, where not a word is spoken but the reward at the end is an experience unlike any other. This is just the first act of the movie and David Lowery (director, writer) has a lot more to say still.

Time passes, different tenants move in and out of the house but the Ghost is a constant, watching, waiting, unable to go away. A Ghost Story is challenging and thought provoking. It asks profoundly deep questions about existence, about nature and time, answers some and then humbly bows out of other too big for for it. It a staggering achievement.

10/10.

Sidney Hall:

This was such a big disappointment. I was really looking forward to it after hearing that the script is great. The story  follows Sidney Hall, a writer, through his life. Logan Lerman is good in the titular role but his performance alone can't keep this trite, disjointed, manipulative screenplay afloat.

4/10.

I Dream in Another Language:

Mexico, A dying language, a linguist trying to save it before all is lost and the two speakers who know the language at odds with each other for half a century. Zikril is the language, shrouded in myth, mystery and even fantasy. The at times dream like cinematography and director's decision to not decipher/explain Zikril for the audience creates an atmosphere which give the viewer exactly what the title boasts, another language.

8.5/10.

I don't know about the other two but Call Me by Your Name (Sony) and A Ghost Story (A24) will definitely get a release sometime later this year. When they do, do check them out.
Edited by -Arsal- - 7 years ago
angrybread thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
RAEES 

Nice movie ...took me back to 80s 90s

Shahrukh and nawazuddin absolutely brilliant - 2 power houses 👍🏼

Shahrukh's entry scene and yatra scene gave me goose-bump and those Kohl eyes have stayed with me and still haunting me 😳 

Free afternoon I watched Episode 1-6 of Star Wars. Prequels were too political to the point of it being redundant. OT films were a nice spectacle but story not that great. But It was aight 😛
talha016 thumbnail
i saw la la land. that is a Hollywood movie and i like this very much
EvilR thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Arsal-

Sundance 2017;

Call Me By Your Name:

Beautiful, poetic, sensual and heartbreaking, Luca Guadagnino's Call me by your Name (adapted from the novel of the same name) is a miracle.

Italy of 1983, Ellio (Timothee Chamlet), a 17 years old and intellectually beyond his years, arrives with his parents at their villa for the summer. Every year his father picks a graduate student to come live with them the holidays. Enter Oliver (Armie Hammer), a handsome, confident and intelligent, 24 year old American. Ellio is immediately drawn to Oliver and maybe, just maybe Oliver too reciprocates those feelings. Ellio, wise and brave as he is, can't bear to not say anything, to not find out for himself and let what he feels go by.

What follows is a tale of two people trying to find themselves and each other before their time, their chance at living this powerful feeling is lost forever. Ellio and Oliver achieve the kind of closeness where you become the other person inside out hence the title. The kind of love that is profound and everlasting, that changes you forever.  

I don't think I have seen a movie that is so honest in what it says, about desire and passion, about love, intimacy and ultimately loss and the pain of it all, about growing up. It is filled with discussions on music, on philosophy, on history and about life.

My only complain is that the move doesn't show the last 40 odd pages of the book. If they had, it would have gone down as one for the ages. The last few pages are gut wrenching, and say so much about so many things. The books achieves something akin to Proust's "In Search of Lost Time". But after hearing the director, I understand why they chose not to put that to screen.

Near the end, the movie features a monologue delivered by a father to his son(Michael Stulburg) that is so kind, so pure and moving, in its humanity, in its acceptance, in the wisdom it imparts that is glows like the Sun, basking everyone and everything in its warmth, its beauty. It is gift to Ellio and to all of us lucky enough to witness it. Every parent, every person should aspire to be like that, to uphold those values. Lifted almost directly from the book, it is a masterclass in writing, in acting and film-making.

One of the best films I have ever seen, Call Me by Your Name is the kind of movie that has the power to move, to inspire and to change one for the better. I fell in love with Ellio, Oliver and their world, even more than before (a feat I thought impossible considering how much I adore the book). It is simply breathtaking and unforgettable.

10/10.

OMG you get to watch Call Me By Your Name! I envy you to death now 😭

And what do you mean by they doesnt show the last 40 pages? No holiday in Rome? 😭

Tani91 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I saw Dangal yesterday - LOVED it! My fave sports related biopic so far from
Bollywood, mainly because they showed only the girls sports and not on the other things like romance and what not. The girls were really good, Aamir wa brilliant 👏 he carried the film all the way and I loved how his character encouraged Geeta and that clash with the coach(apparently that didn't happen with the real life Geeta). However when the movie started it kinda felt very sexist and disgusting at how he didn't even take into consideration of the girls choices and just thrust them into wrestling without even asking that if they wanted to do it, but he did acknowledge it in the end, but still that one point really bothered me I hope the real life guy didn't do that.
Chudailpaapi thumbnail
Dum laga ke Haisha - Turned out to be quite good.

Watching Manga comic movies. Black Butler series is ❤️
Remus.Lupin4 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hidden Figures: Powerful, and glorious women.. As we like to say never ever forget the women who paved the way before you.this movies goes on my repeat list... every single one of them is inspiring and how hard the times were back then. 

'I will have you know, I was the first negro female student at West Virginia university graduate school. On any given day, I analyze the binomial levels air displacement, friction and velocity. And compute over ten thousand calculations by cosine, square root and lately analytic geometry. By hand. There are twenty, bright, highly capable negro women in the west computing group, and we're proud to be doing our part for the country. So yes, they let women do some things at NASA, Mr. Johnson. And it's not because we wear skirts. It's because we wear glasses. Have a good day.'

Edited by Remus.Lupin4 - 7 years ago