Women in Mauryan Age | Pg3 Alexander vs an Indian Queen, Pg5 Vishkanya

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was reading about the Mauryan Empire & came across few snippets which made me make a post on the position of women in that period. Overall, i got an impression that they held high status in the society and their condition had not deteriorated as it happened in the later ancient period and medieval ages.

I have quoted, mostly Greeks, and some Indian accounts of this period. The topics i have discussed are :

- Marriage System & Dowry : which was quite simple.

- Conditions when a wife could divorce a husband : women treated at par with men.

- Education of Women : they remained unmarried in some cases to continue studies.

- Women Warriors in Military : an eye opener. Must read.

- Practice of Widow Burning : More like the modern day Sati but voluntary in Mauryan times.

- Courtesans : Held in great respect. I have also mentioned the story of Amrapali and Gautam Buddha.

- Prostitutes : They were employed in the royal household on a big salary. They held the royal umbrella & attended upon the king while he was on his throne. Chanakya holds them in high importance.

Link :

Status of Women in Magadhan Mauryan Society | With Sculptures and Jewels

This post may not be the last word on this topic. It is a collection of the interesting points which i found during my reading. You are welcome to share yours.

I have also included sculptures and jewels from various museum collections as I found them really awesome !

PS : I was asked to write about Chandragupta and Helena, wrt their early marriage. I have added a short note below, in my comment.

Also updated :

On Page 2 :
Some ancient sculptures showing women taking part in warfare.

On Page 3 :
Account of an Indian Queen fighting against the forces of Alexander, 326 BCE

On Page-4 :
The kind of "fabric" which was used in the Mauryan era ; from Arthashastra of Chanakya.

Edited by history_geek - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail

Chandragupta Maurya and marriage with daughter of Seleucus

I have been asked to post about the marriage of Chandragupta and daughter of Seleucus. So, making a brief mention.

The alliance of Chandragupta and Seleucus happened in 305 BCE. The show is running somewhere in 320s BCE. So, this is a creative liberty taken by the makers just for sake of introducing drama element. This marriage has been pre-poned by approx. 20 years.

I was asked to post about this marriage from Discovery of India - the autobiography of Pt. Nehru. Here is what Pandit Nehru says about this marriage :

At the end of his reign, Chandragupta Maurya married Seleucus's daughter.
It was his last major event of life. Greek accounts are also on same note.

I have made 2 historical threads till now in this forum.

Thread 1

This is about the history of Chandragupta Maurya.
Brief introduction about him.

Forum Thread Link :
Chandragupta Maurya | The Builder of an Empire & Protector of Bharata | Updated on Pg-7 about the Clothing in Mauryan Era
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4730845

Direct Post Link :
An Introduction to Chandragupta Maurya | The Builder of an Empire & Protector of Bharat

Thread 2

This post includes the history of Nanda rulers and their origin, including the conspiracy of the Queen of Shishunaga along with the Nanda barber to murder her husband, and more. I have included the pictures of sculptures which were obtained from visits to various museums, which give us an idea about the prevailing culture of that period.

Forum Thread Link :
History of Nanda dynasty - Mahapadmananda and Dhanananda | From Alexander to arrival of Chandragupta Maurya | Updated on Pg-3 about the Wars in Ancient / Mauryan Era
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4735921

Direct Post Link :
History of Nanda Rulers | Mahapadma Nanda and Dhana Nanda | Pre - Mauryan Magadha Empire before arrival of Alexander and rise of Chandragupta Maurya I With ancient sculptures

Edited by history_geek - 7 years ago
shilpishona thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: history_geek

<div align="center"><font color="#0000FF" face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Chandragupta Maurya and marriage with daughter of Seleucus</font>
</div>
<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">I have been asked to post about the marriage of Chandragupta and daughter of Seleucus. So, making a brief mention.

The
alliance of Chandragupta and Seleucus happened in 305 BCE. The show is
running somewhere in 320s BCE. So, this is a creative liberty taken by
the makers just for sake of introducing drama element. This marriage has
been pre-poned by approx. 20 years.

I was asked to post about this marriage from Discovery of India - the autobiography of Pt. Nehru. Here is what Pandit Nehru says about this marriage :

</font></font><div align="center"><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">

</font><div align="left"><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">
<font color="#0000FF">At the end of his reign, Chandragupta Maurya married Seleucus's daughter.
It was his last major event of life. Greek accounts are also on same note.</font>
</font></div></div><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">

</font><div align="center"><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">*******************************************************</font>
</div><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">

I have made 2 historical threads till now in this forum.</font><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">

Thread 1

This is about the history of Chandragupta Maurya.
Brief introduction about him.

Forum Thread Link :
Chandragupta Maurya | The Builder of an Empire & Protector of Bharata | Updated on Pg-7 about the Clothing in Mauryan Era
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4730845

Direct Post Link :
An Introduction to Chandragupta Maurya | The Builder of an Empire & Protector of Bharat

</font><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">
Thread 2

This
post includes the history of Nanda rulers and their origin, including
the conspiracy of the Queen of Shishunaga along with the Nanda barber to
murder her husband, and more. I have included the pictures of
sculptures which were obtained from visits to various museums, which
give us an idea about the prevailing culture of that period.

Forum Thread Link :
History
of Nanda dynasty - Mahapadmananda and Dhanananda | From Alexander to
arrival of Chandragupta Maurya | Updated on Pg-3 about the Wars in
Ancient / Mauryan Era

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4735921

Direct Post Link :
History
of Nanda Rulers | Mahapadma Nanda and Dhana Nanda | Pre - Mauryan
Magadha Empire before arrival of Alexander and rise of Chandragupta
Maurya I With ancient sculptures

</font>

thanks abhay very much needed information...
lashy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: history_geek

- Marriage System & Dowry : which was quite simple.

- Conditions when a wife could divorce a husband : women treated at par with men.

- Education of Women : they remained unmarried in some cases to continue studies.

- Women Warriors in Military : an eye opener. Must read.

- Practice of Widow Burning : More like the modern day Sati but voluntary in Mauryan times.

- Courtesans : Held in great respect. I have also mentioned the story of Amrapali and Gautam Buddha.

- Prostitutes : They were employed in the royal household on a big salary. They held the royal umbrella & attended upon the king while he was on his throne. Chanakya holds them in high importance.

Wow! Just Wow!

And thanks for the bits about the preponed wedding... it was quite obvious the makers were taking creative liberty there...

Will read the detailed links soon...

Thanks for your hard work, Abhay.. 
shahbhavini thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Can't thank you enough all this information and links . 
riyya6 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Interesting info... 10q for sharing... 👍🏼
Durgeshnandini thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
All of this is incredible... would be back soon after reading in detail...
Thanks for sharing this wonderful stuff 😊
history_geek thumbnail

Female archer from a temple in South India
Aiming at a lion / tiger cub.

The temples of Hoysala dynasty has lot of depictions of female fighters.

history_geek thumbnail

Depiction of Women wrestling
From an ancient relief found at Hampi in Karnataka

history_geek thumbnail

Female warrior with armor riding a battle ready horse, with a sword in hand
At Belur