Shaurya - the man, the mystery, the mask

Couch_Potato thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
I have been reading a lot of posts lately about how Shaurya is becoming increasingly mean and that his character needs to be toned down. Instead of replying to the various threads on the forum, I thought I'd share my two cents here.

Shaurya in my opinion is not acting out of character at all. Here's a man who has worked hard to carve a name for himself. Who has seen people cheat, wheedle, beg and steal their way to money and fame. He's heard the excuses, seen the backstabbing and witnessed the ugly things desperation and drive make people do. He's seen it all. More bad than good. He's jaded, wary, cautious and highly judgmental. With valid reasons to be.

Remember the amount of drama that unfolded during just one small town housewives cooking contest. The hidden footage, the credit stealing, the fake contestant etc. Now remember he has judged two seasons of a reality TV show, various small cooking events and runs his own restaurant chain. Thus he has seen all of it on a larger national level.

So his disdain for the people in general and middle-class in particular is reasonable and justified for someone of his background. Is it wrong? Definitely. But he's basing it on his own personal observations and majority of what he's seen happen around him. For crying out loud, even his chef fake-swore on his mother to keep his job. Why should he think anyone is any different?

Add to all this, his constant interactions with Mehek. She gets under his skin. Already. She's pinged on his radar and try as he might, he just can't ignore it, ignore her. She forced him out of character the instant he found himself walking back to give her that energy bar. He slipped up, wasn't the man he usually is in the media glare, the man he prides himself for becoming. Then there was the dhabba incident and then the restaurant one - both interactions that left him feeling disoriented.

So when he lashes out at her, it's in an attempt to write her off. But the irony is, what he really wants to feel towards her is indifference, however what he does have towards her instead are these memories that rub him the wrong way and the fact that he just can't forget them and move on like he want to. It also doesn't help that his friend/partner seems to be more on her team than his.

It is also this - living in the limelight surrounded by people who would do anything to get his attention, or five minutes of fame - that's driven him to wear his general distaste for people as an armour around him. To shield himself, to protect who he really is. Something he only truly shows to his online friend MS. Because she wants nothing from him, she can't get anything from him, she can't con him into anything. He won't be deceived, tricked or fooled. If you notice, it is mostly Mehek who reaches out to him and confides in him. He's mostly less communicative. Another one of his defense mechanisms, which is slowly coming undone the more he speaks to her.

Now it would surely be interesting to know which side of him comes out when he realises Mehek Sharma is MS and how he chooses to deal with it.

Until then, let's keep hoping for more MahRya scenes.

Thanks for reading my long rant. I just binge-watched a week's worth of episodes and needed to get it all out. :)

P.S. Just wanted to add that the more he lashes out at her, the more he is affected by her. Keep that in mind and it will make his rudeness more bearable to watch. 

Edited by Couch_Potato - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

oceanus85 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Nice Post.  I agree with you even though I was one of those people who said he was a bit much. But his behavior wasn't surprising to me.  As you you said he isn't really acting out of character given his backgorund.  I know over time Mahek is going to get to him.  In fact she already has.  I can't wait until he realizes MS is Mahek Sharma.  I wonder what his response will be.  I guess it depends on when he finds out and what his equation with Mahek is at that point.  Maybe he will think she deceived him.  I could see that happening.  Whatever it may be I look forward to more of Mahrya scenes.
Sam_Faizal thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Everything I was thinking you've put it into words. Can't wait to see how their story unfolds. Waiting eagerly for more Mehrya scenes.
KhatamKahani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Disagree with one point. He didn't slip up under media glare with the protein bar. He had to go back to check in her when media called out she fainted.He would have ruined everything he projects himself to be if he hadn't shown concern and help.
My guess is initially he thought it some nautanki so walked past. But he couldn't continue when people started calling out that she had fainted. 

simran_singh_24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Nice post.
CPing from my response in another thread

They are establishing him as the polar opposites of Mehak.
 I'm fine with what's being shown, except for his repetitive middleclass rant .
 They have to change his dialogues to show him as a snobbish health freak .

The actors doing great for newbies, the dialogue writers need different words.

I'm not bothered about what made him a snob, I'm curious to see how he is going to change.

Couch_Potato thumbnail

Originally posted by: oceanus85

Nice Post.  I agree with you even though I was one of those people who said he was a bit much. But his behavior wasn't surprising to me.  As you you said he isn't really acting out of character given his backgorund.  I know over time Mahek is going to get to him.  In fact she already has.  I can't wait until he realizes MS is Mahek Sharma.  I wonder what his response will be.  I guess it depends on when he finds out and what his equation with Mahek is at that point.  Maybe he will think she deceived him.  I could see that happening.  Whatever it may be I look forward to more of Mahrya scenes.

Yeah I could definitely see that happening too. Him thinking she had somehow known who he was. Although how he justifies that to himself will be something to watch but I do see him feeling a deep sense of betrayal when that realisation comes along. Which in return would mean a greater wedge between them. 

Interesting times ahead for them indeed.

Couch_Potato thumbnail

Originally posted by: jani_faizal

Everything I was thinking you've put it into words. Can't wait to see how their story unfolds. Waiting eagerly for more Mehrya scenes.

Me too. There's so much potential with where this real/reel relationship can go. And potential always keeps me hooked. 

Although to be honest, I am a little scared of being disappointed. Woh kehte hain na, expectations often lead to disappointments. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Couch_Potato thumbnail

Originally posted by: KhatamKahani

Disagree with one point. He didn't slip up under media glare with the protein bar. He had to go back to check in her when media called out she fainted.He would have ruined everything he projects himself to be if he hadn't shown concern and help.

My guess is initially he thought it some nautanki so walked past. But he couldn't continue when people started calling out that she had fainted. 

Hmm. I didn't see it like that. But that would make complete sense. Do you think that's another reason he's annoyed/upset with her? The fact that she forced him to act against his will? It's weird but the flashbacks have often shown that moment, like it has left a lasting impact on his mind.

Couch_Potato thumbnail

Originally posted by: simran_singh_24

Nice post.
CPing from my response in another thread

They are establishing him as the polar opposites of Mehak.
 I'm fine with what's being shown, except for his repetitive middleclass rant .
 They have to change his dialogues to show him as a snobbish health freak .

The actors doing great for newbies, the dialogue writers need different words.

I'm not bothered about what made him a snob, I'm curious to see how he is going to change.

I am a sucker for opposites attracts so I am definitely loving these parallels. You know it's funny you said that because he hasn't brought up healthy eating in a long time now, not since the cooking contest. He's all about taste and presentation now. And given his character, being a health freak would be completely justified. I wish they would concentrate on that too.

Since his prejudice seem so deeply rooted, I'm hoping for a slow gradual change. I really don't want their story to be rushed. I want a natural progression of things, no matter how long it takes.

Also, I'm actually pleasantly surprised with everyone's acting in the show. Shaurya's seems a little forced at times but Mehek's comes so naturally. It's hard to believe that this is her first show.

-Serene.Rose- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
you're right! Even I thought he might have his own reasons. He might have seen middle class men doing all sorts of wrong things out of greed... He might have felt people are obese out of laziness... and he might never in his life had faced someone who'd answer him back the way mehek did.
but are these reasons enough to justify his behaviour? I don't think so. Just because you found a black seed in dal, doesn't mean daal hi kala hai! but well, Shaurya is grown up that way. I understand how Cvs want to portray him. but well... I wish they tone him down a little. he doesn't need to insult mehek calling her fat all the time, or that tell us repetitively how much he hates middle class ppl...

my pov. no offense