Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rhea_401 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago
before you kill me .. leaving a detailed feedback...

I love the way you drop in the real MEET scenes in your updates.. It's so cool as it quickly revives our beautiful MEET memories...I always wanted to see Preet's journey of fatherhood and his bonding as a father.., but of course we were never shown all of that. Your story can probably fill the gap..,

And the best part was when Preet again forgot to take Meher with him..,, and the hospital scenes just cracked me uppp.., and "I am never doing this again was epic .., I remember Ali Asgar's wife said this to him when she was in labour and he mentioned it on a TV show... hehe

Awesome update.., Looking forward to MEET becoming parents
Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Rhea_401

before you kill me .. leaving a detailed feedback...

I love the way you drop in the real MEET scenes in your updates.. It's so cool as it quickly revives our beautiful MEET memories...

Yeah...it's fun to do that from time to time.  You're right...it revives the good old memories. πŸ˜›

I always wanted to see Preet's journey of fatherhood and his bonding as a father.., but of course we were never shown all of that. Your story can probably fill the gap..,

Yes...the writer's missed the boat on a lot of potential story lines when it came to Meet.  I mean they could have explored the Herman angle a little more.  And yes...they showed Preet as a great uncle..and super excited for his 2nd child...and not a single scene with him and Gungun...πŸ€ͺ

And the best part was when Preet again forgot to take Meher with him..,, and the hospital scenes just cracked me uppp.., and "I am never doing this again was epic .., I remember Ali Asgar's wife said this to him when she was in labour and he mentioned it on a TV show... hehe

Awesome update.., Looking forward to MEET becoming parents

Some more fun scenes coming up in the next update.
Thanks for reading and leaving me the feedback Rhea...means a lot!  πŸ€—
AASUS thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Happy New Year woohoo Fatima
Love you mish u and my bestest sis πŸ˜†
U r Cz u hv loads of patience- which I lack πŸ˜†

Let's see how lazy or active I am this year πŸ˜•

Me will cruise (ok fly but I just like d word cruise more ) to India - pilgrimage trip with majority of the family to temples and ashrams- some north and some south of India. Long trip which my brother decided to show mom around the places and asked all to accompany him. We will be leaving 13th.

I am inactive a lot as it is - this will add on to it ah well.
I'll c u and be cute lob ya and I always remember you in meditation- ur part of me always *goofy smile*
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Originally posted by: AASUS

Happy New Year woohoo Fatima
Love you mish u and my bestest sis πŸ˜†
U r Cz u hv loads of patience- which I lack πŸ˜†

Let's see how lazy or active I am this year πŸ˜•

Me will cruise (ok fly but I just like d word cruise more ) to India - pilgrimage trip with majority of the family to temples and ashrams- some north and some south of India. Long trip which my brother decided to show mom around the places and asked all to accompany him. We will be leaving 13th.

I am inactive a lot as it is - this will add on to it ah well.
I'll c u and be cute lob ya and I always remember you in meditation- ur part of me always *goofy smile*

Hey Athi...Happy New Year. πŸ₯³ 

Hope it is a blessed one for you and your family. πŸ˜›

Really miss you on the forum. πŸ˜­

Have a wonderful journey...and truck loads of love and duas from my side too..πŸ€—

x.titli.x thumbnail
*coughs coughs, Maria makes a quick entry before Fatima daants her with a belan, chappal, jhoote or whatever she can find around her to scold the lazy chick*πŸ˜²πŸ˜†

Before starting my long feedback, wishing you a very happy new year Fatima! May 2019 be filled with love, happiness, hope and success and may all your dreams come true. πŸ€—

I didn't forget you at all and this FF it's just that life got really hectic at some point and honestly I sometimes just couldn't manage everything... uhhh silly me!πŸ˜•πŸ˜† 

Back to the updates I've missed...I'm just amazed to see how Meet are managing in their complicated moments post wedding... life has not be easy for them, they have been through a lot but their strenght is that they love each other and they stand by each other. They are so inspiring! I'm totally loving them EVEN MORE NOW! AWWW! β€οΈ

Both will do anything for each other even selling their most precious things... Meher sold her precious bangles and the necklace of her Mum while Preet got that necklace back and gave the watch that Prem gave him for the graduation. Preet didn't think twice before giving his watch because he knows in a way that his PB will always stand by his side but Meher only has her Mum's memories to cherish... and his wife happiness counted the most to him. β€οΈ

So many moments you have described here Fatima, I just loved the way Meher convinced the guy to accept Preet's project for work... Meher is right here, how can we have experiences if noone gives us a chance? We all have been newbies at some point...πŸ€”

Another moment was when Meher tried to romance with Preet while his mood was off! LOL! That was epic and really bold... go on Meher but don't expect Preet to remain silent *coughs coughs* β˜ΊοΈ

The whole pregnancy was just love! Preet managed really well to deal with his wife's antics and changing moods lol! πŸ˜† And Meher! Proud of you! You got your degree! πŸ˜Š
And finally welcome to the world crazy and cute family Gungun!!!πŸ€—

And as usual loved Premeer here, the way they support Meet is just LOVE and precious! πŸ˜³β€οΈ

Can't believe this FF is going to end soon Fatima! 

Hugs πŸ€—

Fatima_Q thumbnail

Originally posted by: DreamyButterfly

*coughs coughs, Maria makes a quick entry before Fatima daants her with a belan, chappal, jhoote or whatever she can find around her to scold the lazy chick*πŸ˜²πŸ˜†

Before starting my long feedback, wishing you a very happy new year Fatima! May 2019 be filled with love, happiness, hope and success and may all your dreams come true. πŸ€—

I didn't forget you at all and this FF it's just that life got really hectic at some point and honestly I sometimes just couldn't manage everything... uhhh silly me!πŸ˜•πŸ˜† 

Back to the updates I've missed...I'm just amazed to see how Meet are managing in their complicated moments post wedding... life has not be easy for them, they have been through a lot but their strenght is that they love each other and they stand by each other. They are so inspiring! I'm totally loving them EVEN MORE NOW! AWWW! β€οΈ

Both will do anything for each other even selling their most precious things... Meher sold her precious bangles and the necklace of her Mum while Preet got that necklace back and gave the watch that Prem gave him for the graduation. Preet didn't think twice before giving his watch because he knows in a way that his PB will always stand by his side but Meher only has her Mum's memories to cherish... and his wife happiness counted the most to him. β€οΈ

So many moments you have described here Fatima, I just loved the way Meher convinced the guy to accept Preet's project for work... Meher is right here, how can we have experiences if noone gives us a chance? We all have been newbies at some point...πŸ€”

Another moment was when Meher tried to romance with Preet while his mood was off! LOL! That was epic and really bold... go on Meher but don't expect Preet to remain silent *coughs coughs* β˜ΊοΈ

The whole pregnancy was just love! Preet managed really well to deal with his wife's antics and changing moods lol! πŸ˜† And Meher! Proud of you! You got your degree! πŸ˜Š
And finally welcome to the world crazy and cute family Gungun!!!πŸ€—

And as usual loved Premeer here, the way they support Meet is just LOVE and precious! πŸ˜³β€οΈ

Can't believe this FF is going to end soon Fatima! 

Hugs πŸ€—

Maria...you finally showed up!  πŸ˜†

Happy new Year to you as well...and hope it is a good one for you and your loved ones.

Yes indeed life does get very hectic...so I definitely appreciate you taking the time to read and leave me your precious feedback.

Meet have been through a lot...and you're right, they've handled themselves quite well..just by standing by each other's side no matter what. 

The FF is in its last phase...it is...I would say about to come to its natural end...a few issues to still resolve before hen though...so stick around. πŸ˜› 

Thanks again for reading πŸ€—
Fatima_Q thumbnail
Eeek!  This story needs to updated!
Something is in the works...πŸ˜†
x.titli.x thumbnail
yeah PLZ UPDATE SOON πŸ˜†
Fatima_Q thumbnail
This weekend insha'Allah. πŸ˜³
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Chapter 71 - Bringing Up Baby

7 months later...

"Hey everybody, I'm home," Preet called out as entered the flat.  He put his briefcase down on the hall table and loosened his tie.  Meher came out of the kitchen holding baby Gungun in her arms.  Both of their faces brightened up when they saw him.  "How are my girls?"

"Fine.  How was your day?" asked Meher as he gave her and Gungun a kiss on the cheek.

"Great," smiled Preet.  "We managed to close the Ansari deal.  I mean, Mr. Ansari still has to sign the contract and all, but we have at least finalized all the minor details.  Anyway, let's not talk about work.  Tomorrow is Friday, and I've kept it pretty light at the office.  I may not even go in."  He sat down on the sofa, picked up the remote and turned the television on.  "I just want to spend a relaxing weekend with my biwi (wife) and of course the TV."  Gungun babbled something incoherent.  "Ah yes...and my baby girl too."

"You might not go in tomorrow?" asked Meher.  "Uh...right...you've been working so hard...and you definitely deserve a day off.  Why don't you go change and then we'll have dinner?"

A short while later...

Preet placed a bowl of salad and insulated casserole with rotis in it on the dining table, then went back to get the serving bowl with the chicken curry.  He looked over at Meher.  She was busy setting Gungun's new highchair next to the dining table.  "Ah, I see the baby is going to join Mommy and Daddy for dinner tonight."

"Yes," smiled Meher.  "I ordered this a few days ago.  It arrived this afternoon.  I thought this would be a good time to try it out, that way, we can start having dinner like a family again."  After placing the highchair between her seat and Preet's, she ran back to the living room and picked Gungun up from her playpen.  "Is my little angel hungry?"  Meher asked the baby, as she pulled her tiny fists out of her mouth.  "Is my little angel hungry?"

"She's eating her hands, so she must be hungry," chuckled Preet.

Meher tried to place Gungun in her new highchair, but the baby clung to her.  She began to cry as she was buckled into her seat.  "Come on Gungun, you're a big girl now," Meher tried to reason with her.  "Don't you want to sit here and have dinner with us?"  She placed her rattle and rubber ducky on the tray table as a distraction, then picked up a bowl with something in it and tried to feed Gungun.  The baby continued to cry and swatted the spoon Meher offered her away with her tiny hands.

"Is she okay?" asked Preet.

"Yes," sighed Meher.  "She just wants to be picked up."

"So...maybe we should pick her up," suggested Preet.  He was about to get up but Meher stopped him.

"No Preet," She said.  "She has to learn to sit in this chair."

"Seems kind of cruel to let her cry like that," muttered Preet.  "And what is that green gook you're trying to feed her anyway?"

"It's mashed green beans and peas," said Meher.

"It looks like poop," remarked Preet.  He picked up the bowl and took a whiff of it.  "And it smells like it too."  He made a gagging expression as he placed the bowl back in front of Gungun.  "No wonder she doesn't want to eat it."  He looked over at the food before him.  "There must be something you can give her from here."

"Our food is too spicy for a baby," Meher shook her head.  "Besides she only has 2 little teeth."

"Well how are we supposed to eat with the baby crying?" asked Preet.

"You think this is easy?" frowned Meher.  "Then you try and feed her."

"Okay, I will," said Preet.  He rose from the table and went to the kitchen.  Minutes later he was back with a can of Pringles.  He popped the can open, and slid a few chips onto Gungun's tray table.

"What are you...?" cried Meher. 

Gungun stopped crying and looked down.  She slowly picked up a chip with both hands and began to suck on it.  She looked quite pleased with the taste.

"That's my girl," Preet winked at his daughter.

"She can't be having those...I...what about the salt content...?" complained Meher.

"A couple of chips aren't going to kill her, trust me," said Preet.  "You can sneak in that green gook in between bites if you want.  At least she's not crying, and we can eat in peace too."

"Hmm," sighed Meher.  "Acha sunno (Listen) Preet...you mentioned something about taking tomorrow off."

"Yeah, why?" asked Preet.

"I...uh...I got a call from Mrs. Patel from the elementary school nearby," explained Meher.  "One of their teachers gave birth last night.  There are still almost 4 months before the school year ends, so they're looking for a substitute to fill her place.  She thought it would be a good opportunity for me.  I do too.  She'd like me to start tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?  Meher...I know you wanted to teach, but what about the baby?" asked Preet.

"I spoke to Gracie, from upstairs, she said she'll happily babysit for us," explained Meher.  "Gungun really likes her too.  It'll only be 5 days a week, from 8am-3pm.  And the school is only a few blocks away, so I can come home and check in on Gungun during lunch break.  What do you say?" 

Preet thought for a moment, then looked up and smiled at her.  "I say...go for it."  The baby gurguled.  "See...even Gungun agrees."

"Thanks Preet!" Meher rushed to his side and hugged him.

"Yeah...okay...it's not like I was going to hold you back or anything," Preet chuckled as he hugged her back.  "But I appreciate the show of affection just the same."

"So...um...now that we've decided that I can take the job, I need a small favor from you," said Meher.

"Sure...anything," said Preet.

"Gracie can't start babysitting until Monday...so I need you to watch the baby tomorrow," explained Meher.

"Me?!"  Preet gasped in surprise.  "No...no way."

"Why not?  You're great with kids," said Meher.

"Yeah...with kids...kids who can kick a ball and play video games...not babies who fall over when they try to sit," said Preet. 

"Please Preet...pretty please...it's just for 1 day."  Meher sat down in his lap and threw her arms around his neck.

"Aw Meher...not the emotional blackmail angle...," whined Preet.  "I want to help, believe me I do...but I just don't know how to take care of a baby."

"Then we'll practice," smiled Meher.

Later...

Meher walked into Gungun's room and saw Preet trying to get her to take her bottle.

"I don't know," he sighed.  "I've tried everything, but she's not finishing her bottle."

"It's okay, she doesn't have to," explained Meher.  "Babies know when they're full.  Did you remember to burp her?"

"How do I do that?" asked Preet.

"Here, I'll show you, said Meher.  She picked up the baby, let her head rest on her shoulder, while she made soft circles on her back with her hand.  Gungun burped.  Preet and Meher laughed in response.  "See," said Meher.  "Piece of cake."  Suddenly, she felt something warm and wet on her shoulder.  "What on earth?"  Just as she lifted the baby away to look at her, Gungun blasted her dinner out, right down the front of Meher's shirt.

"Wow, that was lucky?" said Preet.

"Lucky?  What are you talking about?!" frowned Meher.

"A few minutes ago, that would have been me instead of you," chuckled Preet. 

"Ugh!" cried Meher.  Before he could do anything, Gungun threw up another blast of half-digested formula.  Then smiled at her accomplishment.  Meher glanced over at Preet.  "Well don't just stand there.  Help me!"

A short while later...

Meher walked out of the shower, towel drying her hair, and went back to check on Gungun and Preet.  She was surprised to find Preet sitting relaxed in the rocking chair flipping through a magazine, while the baby slept peacefully.  He placed a finger on his lips and headed out the room with Meher.

"I can't believe this," sighed Meher, as they walked back to their bedroom.  "She throws up all over me and goes to sleep for you."

"Well, maybe I just have that...you know...special touch," grinned Preet.

"Oh yeah...we'll see how far that special touch goes when you change her diaper," chuckled Meher.

"Wait a minute," Preet said in surprise.  "When did we decide to allocate diaper duty to me?  I don't remember voting for that."

"I decided when I was in the shower," explained Meher.  "Besides you need the practice."

"That's the last time I let you shower alone," teased Preet.  He slid his arms around her waist, pulled her close and nuzzled her neck.

"Preet please," giggled Meher, as she worked her way out of his arms.  "Not tonight."

"Not tonight?" Preet said in disappointment.  "Why not?"

"Because, you're on baby watch and I have to head out early tomorrow," reasoned Meher.  "I suggest we both get as much sleep as we can."  She picked up a pillow and laid it on the center of the bed like a divider.

"What's that for?" asked Preet.

"It's to divide the bed.  That's your side and this is mine," explained Meher.  "You stay on your side, and I'll stay on mine, and maybe we can get through the night without any problems."

"Oh come on Meher," protested Preet.  "You don't have to do this.  Okay look, I promise I'll keep my hands to myself."

"Yeah right," scoffed Meher. "That's like asking a mouse to guard a block of cheese.  This is the arrangement.  Take it or leave it."

Preet frowned, then realized that perhaps it was better this way.  Around Meher, he didn't trust himself.  "Fine," he grumbled before sliding into his side of the bed.

Later...

Meher woke up in the middle of the night only to find the divider pillow gone and Preet leaning on her.  She slowly pushed the covers back and slid out of bed.  Anything to distance herself from the tempting warmth of his body.  She quietly walked to the washroom, closed the door almost all the way and turned the light on.  The crack of light shining into the room was enough for her to locate the pillow.  It lying on the floor on Preet's side of the bed.  She stared at his sleeping figure.  He must have moved it in his sleep, she decided.  She turned off the light, picked up the pillow and put it back into place on the bed.  She then tip-toed out of the room to check on Gungun.  The baby was fast asleep.  Meher smiled as she tucked the blanket farther over her, then returned to her own room.

"What happened?  You okay?" murmured Preet groggily.

"Yes," Meher said softly.  "Go back to sleep."

A short while later...

Meher felt strong, warm arms tighten around her.  Huhn?  Arms?  The thought awakened her.  "Uff Preet!" she smacked his arm in protest.

"Huhn?  What?" said Preet.  His voice was rough with sleep.

"The pillow.  Where is it?" Demanded Meher.  She sat up and pulled her pajama top down, which had some how been shoved up, exposing her middle.  She looked at Preet with narrowing eyes.  "How did the pillow wind up on the floor again?  And what were your hands doing under my shirt?"

"How am I supposed to know?" lied Preet.  "I...uh...I was asleep remember."

"Preet Juneja...I swear...if you're doing this on purpose...," warned Meher. 

Just then they heard Gungun crying.

"The baby is crying," yawned Preet.  "Shouldn't you do something?"

Meher folded her arms and glared at him.  "No I shouldn't.  You're on baby duty tonight, remember?  You do something."

"Aw come on Meher, you know the baby wants you," pleaded Preet.

"What she wants is a dry diaper and a bottle of milk," said Meher.  "She's not going to care who gives it to her.  Now come on."  She nudged him out of bed.  "I'm sure you can figure out how to change a diaper and the milk is ready in the fridge."

Preet slowly sat up and stretched his arms out, then got out of bed.  Baby duty.  Yipee!  He rolled his eyes.  He loved his daughter.  And he loved spending time with her and all...but ever since Meher had attached the word duty to it all...it seemed a bit overwhelming.  Meher was right.  He did need practice if he was going to take care of the baby all by himself tomorrow.  "Are you sure you don't want to join me?" he asked her.

"I'm sure," said Meher.

Well, it was worth a try.  Preet slowly headed out the bedroom and towards the baby's room.  At least he wouldn't have to answer any more questions about the disappearing pillow, he smiled to himself.  The first time he had thrown the pillow aside in his sleep, but Meher put it back in place.  The 2nd time, he had given into temptation, and taken her in his arms.  He smiled again remembering how good she had felt against him.  He hadn't intended to be naughty or anything.  He had just wanted to hold her.  Feel the softness of her skin.  Was that such a bad thing?  After a hard day's work, he was entitled to a little bit of comfort, wasn't he?  Instead, he was handed baby duties.  Not fair!

Preet slowly opened the door, stepped into Gungun's room, and turned the light on.  "Hi sweetie," he said softly greeting his daughter.  She was sitting up in her crib.  Several tears slowly ran down her cheeks, but she smiled when she saw him.  "Listen honey, mommy has decided that we have to manage without her.  She's...uh...she's got a big day tomorrow, and...uh...she wants me to practice taking care of you in her absence.  So it's going to be just you and daddy tonight.  I'm sort of new at this baby thing so be patient okay?"

He grabbed a clean diaper and approached the crib.  He had seen Meher change the baby hundreds of times, surely he could do it.  How complicated could it be?  "Alright...time to change the diaper, sweetie, so let's lie back down," he said as he put Gungun on her back.  Her big brown eyes widened and stayed glued to his face, as if trying to decide whether or not to cry.

I need to distract her with something, thought Preet.  He reached up and wound the music on the animal mobile that hung on her crib.  There, he thought, as he watched Gungun's attention transfer to the circling animals.  Changing a diaper won't be so bad.  A little stinky, but that's about it.  As he unsnapped her nightgown though, he noticed that the smell was getting worse. 

"Uh-oh," he said, as he pulled the diaper away from her skin and peeked inside.  "Meher!!" He roared.

Meher had been congratulating herself on getting Preet to help with the baby.  She had just fluffed up her pillow and laid down on it, when she heard his desperate roar.  "Oh my God!  Something must have happened to Gungun!"  She sprang out of bed and made a mad dash for her room.  "Wha...what happened?!  What is it?!"  She cried gasping for air.

Preet was standing in one corner of the room holding his nose with one hand and pointing an accusing finger at Gungun with the other.  "Can't...can't you smell it?!" he demanded.

"Oh for God's sake Preet!"  Meher exhaled in relief.  "You almost scared me half to death!"  Gungun began to cry again.  "And you scared the baby too.  There there Gungun.  Mommy's here now."  Meher caressed the baby and tried to soothe her.  "Don't worry, your father didn't mean to scare you.  He's just...spoiled."

"Wait a minute.  What are you talking about?  I'm not spoiled," protested Preet.

"Yes you are," said Meher.

"No I'm not," insisted Preet.

"Oh yeah," Meher said as she handed Preet a box of baby wipes.  "Prove it."

"Heh-heh," said Preet as he handed the box back to her.  "Look Meher, it's not about me being spoiled.  It's just that, I want to do what's best for the baby, and I think you can do a better job than I can."

"Why, because I'm the girl?" asked Meher.

"Yes...uh...no...I mean," said Preet.  "I...uh...I need you to show me how to change her once more."

"I already showed you before I put her to bed, remember?" Meher pointed out.

"But I didn't expect a diaper full of gooey green stuff on my turn," argued Preet.  "I can't...I mean...come on Meher.  You'll be better at it than..."  He looked at his wife.  She wasn't buying any of his excuses.   "You mean you actually expect me to change her?"

"Yes, that was the idea," sighed Meher.  She pointed to the box of wipes.

With a frown, and muttering unmentionables under his breath, Preet placed the box of wipes near Gungun's head.  He undid the diaper tabs then carefully held the baby up slightly by the heels and pulled the diaper back unleashing the full force of the stench of the gift' Gungun had left in it.  "Ugh!" cried Preet as he turned his head to one side and gagged.  He gave his wife a 'please don't make me do this' look, but she only shrugged her shoulders, grabbed a wipe and stuffed it in his hand.  Realizing there was no way out, he began the loathsome job of cleanup.

Half a box of wipes later, including several extra to clean Gungun's heel where she had kicked in the 'wrong place,' Preet had successfully finished the clean up.  "How can someone who looks so angelic when she sleeps, suddenly wake up and turn into such a poop-maester?" He wondered out loud.  "Okay, I'm finally done."

"Good," smiled Meher.  "Now hurry up and get a fresh diaper on her before..."  Gungun giggled as she wet herself.  "Too late," sighed Meher.

"Oh crap!  I never realized how disgusting babies are," protested Preet.

"I'll go clean Gungun off in our bathroom," said Meher.  "You can finish cleaning up in here."

"More clean up!" Preet cried. 

"Oh and don't forget to bring her bottle back with you when you're done," Meher ignored his protests.  "I think your father has learned quite a lot tonight Gungun."

Muttering unmentionables again, Preet headed to the washroom.  He washed his hands thoroughly, stripped and cleaned the baby's crib, sprayed it with disinfectant, put on a new waterproof mat and sheets and washed his hands again.  He then headed to the kitchen to warm up her bottle.  By the time he got back to his room, he found Meher and the baby cuddling in the bed.

Exhausted, Preet slipped into the bed.  As soon as Gungun saw the bottle, she reached out for it.  Meher picked her up and plopped her into Preet's lap.  "Here, you can feed her now," she said.

"Meher you're being difficult for no reason now," frowned Preet. 

"Am I?" chuckled Meher.  "I thought you'd appreciate what I've been going through for the past several months...alone."

"But you're the...," Preet paused mid-sentence.  He was about to say mom, but that wasn't a good enough excuse.  Meher had been managing the house and baby almost single-handedly.  It was a damn tough job, and to her credit, she had never complained about it.  She wanted that teaching job.  She just needed him to cooperate.

Meher watched from a careful eye, as Preet scooped Gungun up into his arms and gave her the bottle.  After she was done, he placed a towel over his shoulder, and burped the baby just as she had shown him earlier.  Thankfully, this time Gungun didn't spit up.  Preet then fluffed up some pillows, and leaned back against them, letting the baby rest sprawled out on his chest.  Already exhausted from the night's diaper adventure, they were both soon fast asleep.

Meher tucked the blanket over both of them and smiled.  Her two precious babies. 

A few months later...

"Preet, I forgot to add avocados to the list," Meher said over the phone.

"How many do you need?" asked Preet.  He was at the supermarket with Gungun.

"Two," replied Meher.  "Make sure they've turned black, but are firm to the touch not squishy."

"Got it," said Preet.  "Anything else?"

"Ummm...you may as well grab some milk and diapers while you're at it," suggested Meher.  "And don't be long.  I can't finish making this salad without the avocados and pomegranates."

"Okay," said Preet.  He put his phone away then turned to his daughter.  She was sitting in the shopping cart before him.  "Alright Gungun, let's grab the stuff mommy needs and get out of here, before she calls back with another list."  He pushed the cart over to the produce section.  "I mean don't get me wrong.  I love this father-daughter quality time disguised as a trip to the supermarket, but there's a game on later this afternoon.  I'm not about to miss King Kohli give Australia a run for their money.  So...what do you think?"  He picked up 2 pomegranates and held them in front of Gungun.  "This one or this one?

Gungun mumbled something in baby talk and reached for one of the fruits.  

"Okay," chuckled Preet as he handed it to her.  "But if it's not sweet, can we tell mommy it's your fault?"

Just then 2 young women passed by their cart.  "Oh my God!" one of them cried.  "What a beautiful baby!  Is she yours?"

"She sure is," Preet smiled proudly.  "Gungun, say Hi' to the nice ladies."  Gungun looked up from the pomegranate she was holding and waved at the women with one hand.

"How sweet!  She must take after her mother," said the first girl.

"No way," her friend shook her head.  "Just look at his killer eyelashes.  She's definitely daddy's little girl."

The first girl looked over at Preet admiringly.  "Now that you mention it, I think you're right.  She definitely takes after her father.  So...uh...do you shop here often?  How come we haven't seen you before?"

"Yeah, we definitely would have noticed you...uh...I mean...you and the baby," grinned the other girl.

Wait...were these girls flirting with him?  Preet blushed.  It had been a while since anyone had, and while he didn't mind the sudden attention, Meher would kill him if she found out.  "Uh...yeah...right...it was nice meeting you ladies, but I've got to go."

"Hope to see you around again," the girls smiled in unison.

Preet shook his head and smiled as he pushed his cart and walked on.  He faced similar experiences in the dairy and diaper isles.  Women were all being extra smiley and helpful.  "You know Gungun, if your mom ever finds out what a chick magnet you are, we're going to be banned from the super market for life," chuckled Preet.  "It's a good thing you can't talk.  Wait a minute!  Do guys hit on your mom when she comes down here to shop too?" He frowned as the thought occurred to him.  Gungun gurguled something in her baby talk.  "Hmph!  Too bad you can't talk."  He rolled his cart to the checkout and began to place the items on the belt.

"Aw!  What a cute baby...," began the cashier.  "What a sweet guy you are for taking care of her."

"Look lady I'm married okay!" cried Preet.  "Just do your job and check our groceries out."

Later that day...

"Preet, I'm going to take a shower.  Can you please watch Gungun?" Meher asked as she placed the baby on the sofa next to him.

"A shower?" Preet took hold of her hand as she was about to turn away.  "Are you sure you don't want me to join you?"

Meher gasped as he pulled her close to him and tried to kiss her.  "Preet!" She smacked him on his arm.  "No romancing in front of the baby."

"Meher...she's a baby," said Preet.  "Trust me she won't be offended.  Besides, how else is she supposed to get brothers and sisters?"

"Brothers and sisters? Itni jaldi (so soon)?" cried Meher as she pulled away from him.  "Just...just watch the baby."

Preet chuckled to himself as he watched his wife walk away.  "Come on Gungun," he took the baby in his lap, then used the remote to turn the TV on.  "Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of cricket."  Gungun watched the large screen disinterestedly for a few minutes, then reached out for the remote.  "Hey!" Preet protested as she pressed a button and the channel changed.  Gungun only laughed in response.  She pressed the button again and the channel changed again.  As if understanding the connection between the remote and the TV, she clapped her little hands together. 

"No...no...no," Preet shook his head.  "We're supposed to watch the game.  India versus Australia.  I told you about it at the store, remember?"  He took the remote from her but she began to cry.  "Oh God.  Why do women always have a problem with guys watching sports.  Here..."  He offered her the remote.  The baby took it, but it slipped from her hands and fell down.  Gungun looked down in search of the remote and nearly fell off the sofa.  Preet grabbed her just in time.  "What are you trying to do...get me killed?  What would your mother say if you got hurt while I was watching you?  Let's just sit on the floor to be safe, okay."

He picked Gungun up and placed her on the floor.  Gungun found one of her toys and started playing with it.  Using the momentary distraction to his advantage, Preet turned his game back on.    

Moments later...

"Yes!" Preet cried in delight as his team scored.  "Did you see that Gungun?" 

Gungun giggled, clapped her hands then slowly stood up.

Preet's eyes widened in surprise.  "Wait...are you...?  Meh...Meher come quick!" he cried.  He ran into the bedroom and grabbed his camcorder.  "I...I think the baby is about to take her first steps!"

"What?!" cried Meher.  "Wait...I'm almost done."  She shut the water off, and grabbed a towel to wrap around herself.

"Hurry up Meher!" Preet called out from the living room.

"I'm coming!" Meher yelled back.  "Don't...don't let her walk until I get there.  Stall her Preet!  Stall her!"

"Stall her?" said Preet.  "How...how do I do that?"  He looked down at Gungun, she looked poised and ready to take her first step.  "No...you have to wait until mommy gets here!"  He couldn't think of anything else so he gave her a slight push.  Gungun lost her balance and fell down on her bottom.  "Oops," sighed Preet as the baby began to cry.

"Okay," cried Meher as she ran into the living room holding onto her towel with one hand.  "I'm here."  She looked down and saw Gungun crying.  "I thought you said she was about to walk.  Why is she crying?"

"Well...you said to stall her," said Preet.  "I didn't know how so I gave her a little shove."

"You pushed her!" cried Meher.

"Just a little," admitted Preet.

"How mean!" sighed Meher.  "Really Preet...this could have been a milestone for her and...you pushed her?"

"It was a mistake...I know I know...I shouldn't have...," sighed Preet.  He placed his hand over his face.

Meher tugged on Preet's arm.  "Preet...," she hissed.

"I've probably scarred her for life," continued Preet.  "She'll never try to walk again, and it's all my fault.  I'm the worst dad in the world."   

"Preet...look...," Meher nudged him again.

Preet looked in the baby's direction.  Slowly but surely, Gungun rose and stood up on two unsteady legs and took a shaky step towards him.  Then another.  And another.

"She's walking!  She's walking!" Preet and Meher jumped up and down happily.

Seeing her parents reaction Gungun laughed out loud and took another step before falling back on her bottom.

"Yay!" Preet scooped up the baby and tossed her in the air.  "I am so proud of you princess!"

Gungun giggled as he kissed her on the cheek.  She patted his face then said, "Da-da."

"Da-da?" Preet said in surprise.  "Meher...did...did she just say Da-da?"

"She sure did," smiled Meher.

"She did," Preet threw his head back and laughed.  "My princess said Da-da!  I guess that means I'm not the worst father after all."

"No Preet," smiled Meher.  "In fact, you're the best."

"Hey, let's get a group photo," said Preet, as he pulled out his phone.

"But I'm only wearing a towel," said Meher.

"I know."  Preet winked at her and snapped a picture before she could protest. 

Hope you all enjoyed the update. πŸ˜›

Some parts of the update are inspired from "Life as We Know it"

Next update may be the last or 2nd last one...still haven't decided.

In any case...leave me some feedback.

Chapter 72:  Preet makes peace with Lalit

Link to: Chapter 72 and Epilogue...Pg 114

Link to Table of Contents: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/136805557

Edited by Fatima_Q - 4 years ago