Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rhea_401 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: Fatima_Q

As you may have guessed...new update will post on December 2, 2018...😆

cheater... at least do a double ipdate... it's Meet's tenth afterall...
Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Rhea_401

cheater... at least do a double ipdate... it's Meet's tenth afterall...

There will definitely be 2 new things to read from my side ðŸ˜†
Rhea_401 thumbnail

There will definitely be 2 new things to read from my side ðŸ˜†

aww glad to know...waiting
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Meet OS: The Blind Date

(Banner by DreamyButterfly)

Friday, November 30, 2018...

"Hey Meher, you wanted to see the Mittal file, right?" said Sam.  She walked up to her friend and handed her a file.

"Thanks," said Meher.

"So, did you think about it?" asked Sam.

"I did," said Meher.  "And my answer is still no."

"Oh come on Meher, live a little," insisted Sam.  "You'll have a good time.  I promise."

"You said that the last 3 times you set me up Sam," sighed Meher. 

"I thought you liked Arjun," said Sam.  "He was an anesthesiologist."

"And he was so boring, he nearly put me to sleep," remarked Meher.

"And Dheer?  Who doesn't love a man in uniform?" teased Sam.

"You mean Captain Dheer the pilot?  The guy whose idea of meeting up during his layover was literally me coming over to his hotel room so he could lay all over me," Meher rolled her eyes.  "And don't even let me get started on Manmeet.  Late.  Disheveled appearance.  The guy practically spent the entire evening talking...correction...crying about how his ex-wife left him...for another woman."

"Ooo...that bad eh?" chuckled Sam.  "Anyway, forget those clowns.  It'll be different this time, trust me, because this guy is...well he's just great.  Good looking.  Good job.  Great hair.  A perfect 10, I tell you."

"Good, then why don't you go out with him?" retorted Meher.

"I would if I wasn't already taken.  Come on Meher, this is the last one, I promise," pleaded Sam.  "Look...just listen to your best friend.  This guy...he could be your Gaurav."

Sam and Gaurav had met, fallen in love, and married, all within the span of 6 months.  Their perfect, made for each other jodi could be sickly sweet at times.  Meher knew her friend's heart was in the right place, but unfortunately, her luck hadn't rubbed off on her.   "Sorry Sam, I'd rather stay home and watch Big Boss or something," she said.  She looked down at the pile of papers lying on her desk and sighed in frustration.  It was okay.  She led a full life, right?  Yoga class in the mornings.  Nine to five rat race.  Going home to an empty apartment and left overs she'd microwave and eat while watching TV.  What more could a girl ask for?  Oh yeah...romance, marriage, kids...  Wait a minute weren't Mom and Daljeet Chachee coming over this Saturday?  They'd lecture her endlessly on why 'good girls' should settle down before it was too 'late.'  Daljeet Chachee would throw in a jab or two about her weight, before graciously pulling out her latest stock of pictures of eligible bachelors for her to look over.  But how could she decide her fate on some random guy's picture?  Like...how was a girl supposed to find a nice guy when all the non-psychotic ones were already taken?  Meher rolled her eyes and sighed again.   Maybe Sam was right.  Maybe she should take her up on her offer.  After all, what could be worse than a blind date?  Having no date at all. 

Just then, the department manager's door opened and 'he' walked out.  'He'...was her office crush.  The heartthrob she was mentally dating.  'He' was Preet Juneja.  The Canadian returned, youngest son of company owner Lalit Juneja.  He had taken over as department head a few months ago.  She had noticed him from day one.  It was hard not to.  On a scale of 1 to 10, he was definitely a 25.  Six feet tall, great hair, killer smile, sense of humor, brains, a masterful aura of confidence.  You name it...he had it all.  He didn't wear a tie like all the other business types in the office.  He didn't even button his shirt all the way up...which could prove to be very...uh...what was the right word?  Distracting.

"He's just to die for isn't he?" sighed Sam.

"Huhn?  He?  Who?" stammered Meher.

"Junior Juneja.  You were just drooling over him," chuckled Sam.

"I wasn't drooling over anyone," frowned Meher.  As if to prove her point, she tried her best to keep her eyes glued to her desk, but it was no use.  She couldn't help but sneak a glance in his direction again.  Just then, Preet looked up from the file he was holding and smiled at her.  Oh crap!  He caught me staring at him!  Her hand immediately shot up to her mouth to make sure there wasn't really any drool at the sides.  Quick...ignore him and look busy!  She began shuffling around the papers on her desk.

"Relax," chuckled Sam.  "He's gone."  She watched her friend exhale in relief.  "You know, the way he smiled at you just now...I think he likes you."

"You're being delusional," said Meher.

"No...I mean, it's happened before," said Sam.  "An office romance between the boss and an employee is not completely unheard of."

"Ha!" scoffed Meher.  "My own mother doesn't love me...and you think the son of Lalit Juneja, owner of Juneja Enterprises International is interested in me?  Get real Sam.  I'm not exactly some stunning creature with a line of men outside my door fighting each other for my attention."

"Don't do that Meher," frowned Sam.  "Don't sell yourself short like that.  You're a very pretty girl, and extremely bright too.  Besides, didn't I see him having lunch with you the other day?"

"Correction.  I was having lunch at my desk.  He was passing by when he got a whiff of the gobi ke parathe I had brought in," explained Meher.  "He happens to love gobi (cauliflower).  I offered him some, and he sat down to have a bite or two.  That's it."

Sam was about to say something when she saw Preet walking back towards his office.  "Oh God, look who's coming now."

Meher looked up to see Ashlesha walk up to Preet.  The high and mighty Ashlesha Singh.  Self-proclaimed God's gift to all the men at the office and beyond.  Meher and Sam exchanged a peeved glance.

"Hey Preet," Ashlesha batted her eyelashes at him.  She was holding a bouquet of flowers in her hands.  "Aren't you going to wish me a happy birthday?"

"It's your birthday?  Ah...I see...," Preet struck the manila folder he was holding against his forehead.  "So that's what all these flower deliveries are for.  I thought maybe we had a horticulture department I didn't know about."

"Horticulture?"  I thought this was accounting," Ashelsha gave him a confused look.

Meher chuckled to herself.  Ashlesha had totally missed his joke. 

"Uh...nevermind," said Preet.  "Happy birthday."  He was about to leave when she stopped him.

"So...any plans for the weekend?" asked Ashlesha.

Preet looked down at the folder he was holding.  "Uh...yeah actually.  Big plans."

Damn! Thought Meher.  Plans.  Of course, he had plans.  Why was she surprised?

"You?" asked Preet.

"Of course," smiled Ashlesha.

"Great.  Who's the lucky guy?" asked Preet.

"Someone I met recently," Ashlesha said nonchalantly.  "Of course, nothing is set in stone you know.  I'd be inclined to change my plans if a better offer comes along."  She casually ran her fingers up his arm.

"Uh...right...well...I hope you have a great time doing whatever it is you end up doing," said Preet.  He gave her a small smile then walked away.

"Hmm...you too," sighed Ashlehsa.

"Wow, Preet must have some really big plans to have rejected Ash like that," said Meher.  "I mean she was literally throwing herself at him."

"Maybe he's looking for more in a woman than just a killer body," suggested Sam.

"Oh sure, that's exactly what guys want...great conversation," Meher rolled her eyes.  "Anyways...you're still here...did you want something?"

"You mean other than to change your mind about the blind date?" remarked Sam.  "Yeah, if you took the numbers you needed, can I have the Mittal file back?"

"Give me a minute," said Meher.  "I'll go make a copy and give these papers back to you."  She got up from her desk and headed over to the little room with the copiers in them.  She inserted the papers into the machine, hit the button and waited for the hot copies to come out.

Meanwhile...

Preet stopped by Meher's desk.  "Hey Sam, didn't I see Meher here a few minutes ago?" he asked.

"Uh...yeah...she went to make some copies," said Sam.

"I see.  So...uh...that project you're working on...how's it going?" Preet asked.

"Not as well as I hoped," sighed Sam.  "But I don't give up easily either."

"That's the spirit," Preet nodded his head approvingly.

"Uh...Meher will be back soon," said Sam.  "Anything, I can help you with in the meantime?"

"No thanks," smiled Preet.  "I'll...uh...go talk to her myself."  He turned and headed for the copy room.

"Hey Preet," Viren met him on the way.  "Got a minute?"

"Sure," said Preet.

"It's Ash's birthday," said Viren.

"So I heard," remarked Preet.

"Did you get her something?" asked Viren.

"Was I supposed to?" asked Preet.

"A lot of the guys in the office gave her flowers.  I did too," said Viren. 

"That was nice of you," said Preet.

"Yeah...um...you didn't mind did you?" asked Viren.

"Why would I mind?" asked Preet.

Well...you know...there's talk around the office...actually there's a betting pool going around on whether you 2 are going out or not," said Viren.

"Really?" Preet said with a raised brow.  "And which way did you vote?"

"I haven't...yet," said Viren.  "I thought I'd ask you first.  I mean, what's a little insider information between friends?"

"But that would be cheating, right?" said Preet.

"Oh come on Preet," pleaded Viren.  "Just a little hint.  The girl is beautiful."

"And you think that's all I care about?  A pretty face?" frowned Preet.  "Do I really come off as being that shallow?"

"No man, that's not what I meant," sighed Viren.  "Look, all I'm saying is you guys would look great together.  You could be the Shahrukh and Kajol of the office."

"But she wouldn't know to make garam garam gobi ke parathe would she?" sighed Preet.

"Parathe?  You don't get to look like you belong on the cover of a magazine by eating parathe dude," Viren pointed out.

"Uff!  Dhur phitte moon!  Khasmanu khania...marjana kahin ka!!"  A female's frustrated voice came from the copy room.

"Hmm...and she wouldn't know how to use heavy duty Punjabi curse words either, would she?" Preet muttered almost under his breath as his eyes wandered towards the copy room.

"What?" asked Viren.

"Nothing," chuckled Preet.  "I'll catch you later."

"But...," tried Viren.

"Good luck with your pool," grinned Preet.

"Stupid machine!" Meher kicked the copier.  "You'd think I could make a few copies without a paper jam happening for once!  No, of course not...how could I possibly be so lucky?!"  She kicked the machine again for good measure.  Suddenly she sensed someone behind her.  "Uff!  Don't even bother trying!  I'm not going to say yes!"

"But I haven't asked you for anything yet," said Preet.

Meher gulped.  Preet?  When did he come here?  "Uh...heh heh...I thought you were Sam," she slowly turned to face him.

"Close," smiled Preet.  "But I think I'm little taller."

And a lot more handsome too.  "Yes, you...you definitely are," Meher bit her lower lip nervously.  His smile was making her grow weak in the knees.

"So is that a new technique you've got?" asked Preet.  "Kick the machine into obedience?  Does it work?"

"Ah...heh-heh...no...I...," stammered Meher.  She noticed the silly grin on his face.  He was making fun of her, wasn't he?  The papers she was holding slipped from her fingers.  Great going Meher.  Kick the office equipment in front of the boss then show him what a klutz you are.  She gave him a weak smile then bent down to collect them.

"Here, let me help you," offered Preet.  As he bent down to help her, his half-buttoned shirt gave her a great view of what was underneath.  "So, exactly what is Sam trying to talk you into?"

"Uh...nothing...it's silly really..."  Preet looked at her as if he was waiting for her to continue.  "Well...I mean, if you must know...it's a blind date."  Meher forced herself to look up from his sculpted chest to his handsome face.  Shitake mushrooms!  That didn't help much.

"You don't have a date this weekend?" He asked with a raised brow.

"So?" Meher said defensively.  She took the papers from his hand.  "I mean, what's the big deal?  Not everyone wants to go out all the time."

"I agree completely," said Preet.  He followed her as she headed back towards her desk.

"You do?" Meher asked in surprise.

"Yeah," Preet nodded his head.  "It's like you said, not everyone wants to go out all the time, like, on Valentine's day, for example.  Everyone thinks you're a freak if you don't have a date.  Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about anyway.  It's just a stupid commercial way for florists, candy and toy companies to sell their products."

"Exactly," said Meher.

"Now if someone came up with Save the Dolphins Day," continued Preet.  "I'd be completely on board."

Meher smiled admiringly at Preet.  Despite being the boss's son, he had no airs about him.  He had easily slipped into this random banter with her.

"Woah, will you look at that," Preet checked his watch.  "It's almost quitting time."  He was about to walk away then turned around as if in an after thought.  "So...uh...are you going on that blind date?"

Why is he so interested in my blind date?  "You mean go out with a complete stranger, with who I probably have nothing in common and will struggle to have a meaningful conversation with, and then have an equally hard time trying to keep his wandering hands off me?  I haven't decided yet," remarked Meher.

"You make it sound like a trip to the dentist rather than a date," chuckled Preet.

"With my luck it may as well be," sighed Meher.  "What about you?"

"Me?" Preet asked in surprise.

"You told Ash you had big plans," said Meher.

"Oh...you heard that?" asked Preet.

"Uh...yeah...sort of...I...uh...," stammered Meher.  Great!  Now he probably thinks I've been eavesdropping.  Change the topic...quick!  "You know there's actually an office poll going around on whether you 2 are going to go out or not."

"So I've heard," sighed Preet.  "Uh...did you vote?"

"No...," said Meher.

"Hey Meher, did you make up your mind about...?" Sam's voice trailed off as she saw Preet.

"I'll...uh...see you guys around," said Preet.  "Oh...Meher...I almost forgot, I've been carrying this file around all this time.   I was supposed to give it to you."

"Okay," said Meher.

Preet turned to go, then turned back to her.  "Meher...maybe it won't hurt to take a chance."

Wait...did he just give her dating advice?  Meher nodded and gave him a weak smile.  Great going Meher Maan...he just friend zoned you.

Sunday December 2, 2018...

Meher sat nervously at the table waiting for her blind date to arrive.  She sat up and smiled as a well-dressed young man entered the restaurant holding a bunch of flowers.  Aw...how sweet, she thought.  He really shouldn't have.  She had gotten up half-way to greet the young man, when to her embarrassment, he walked right past her and into the arms of a young woman waiting at another table.  Ugh!  She quickly sat down, picked up the menu and held it up in front of her face.  She could kick herself for letting Sam talk her into this!  Ten minutes!  She was going to give the bozo 10 more minutes and then she would high tail it out of there!

"Meher?" said Preet, as he walked up to her table.  "Is that you?""

Meher peeped out from behind her menu.  Oh wow!  Of all the people I could run into...I run into Preet Juneja!  God hates me!  Her skin flushed as they made eye contact.  "Uh...Preet...heh-heh...what are you doing here?"

"I came to have dinner," He said.

"Oh...," said Meher.  Stupid question.  It's a restaurant.  Of course he's here to eat.

"You?" asked Preet.

"I...uh...I was supposed to be on a blind date, remember?" said Meher.

"Ah...yes," Preet looked around.  "So, how's it going?"

"It's not actually.  He hasn't bothered to show up," said Meher.  "I was just about to leave."

"Don't," said Preet.  "Uh...I mean...we...we could...uh...I mean...since we're both here...how about if we have dinner together?"

He was here by himself?  Meher looked up in surprise.  Had all the girls in Delhi suddenly dropped dead?  "What if my date shows up?"

"You really want to go through with that?" asked Preet, as he slipped into the chair opposite her.

Meher shrugged her shoulders.  "Sam said he was a friend of her husband Gaurav.  A perfect 10."

Preet placed his hand over his heart and gave her an injured look.  "Are you saying I'm not a 10?"

That cute little gesture just got you upgraded from a 25 to a 50.  "Hmm...I'm still deciding," teased Meher.

"I see," he smiled at her softly.  "Perhaps you'll give me some bonus points for creativity."

"Creativity?  I don't understand," said Meher.

He looked down at the table, almost shyly.  His hands reached out to fiddle with his napkin nervously, before his eyes met hers again.  "Do you know the first time I saw you Meher?"

"I don't know...at the office maybe...after you joined," said Meher.  Just where was he going with this line of questioning?

Preet shook his head.  "It was 6 months ago, at Sam and Gaurav's wedding."

"You were at the wedding?" Meher's mouth fell open in surprise.

"I was leaving for London on business, but Gaurav and I are childhood friends.  He told me he'd never talk to me again if I didn't come by...even if it was just for 5 minutes," explained Preet.

Preet and Gaurav were friends?  Meher's mind was reeling.

"I stopped by briefly to congratulate him and drop off a gift," Preet continued.  "...and as I was leaving, I saw this beautiful girl, with the most contagious laugh and a smile that could steal anyone's heart...all dressed in pink...right down to her bangles...mendhi in her hands...and wisps of brown hair falling into her eyes as she danced up a storm...just like they are now."

Me?  Oh my God!  He's talking about me!  Meher gulped as he slowly reached out to brush a lock of hair from her eyes.  His fingers lingered on her cheek before tucking the hair behind her ear. 

"You can imagine my delight when I joined the accounting department and found you working there," he continued.  "Honestly Meher, I've been trying my best to flirt with you for over 2 months now, but I wasn't sure if you were interested."

Preet Juneja had been trying to flirt with her?!?  Her crush had a crush on her?!?  On little old Meher Maan?!?  "What made you think I wasn't interested?" she asked.

"I don't know," Preet shrugged his shoulders.  "I mean, you tend to shy away whenever I try to talk to you.  You always seem polite and friendly, yet maintain this distance."

"Well duh!" said Meher.  "You're my boss."  My very hot boss!

"Exactly," sighed Preet.  "I figured you might be reluctant to go out with me for that very reason.  I overheard Sam talking to you into a blind date once.  Lucky for me, things didn't work out for you there.  So I had her set us up too."

"Wait...so...you mean...you're my blind date?" asked Meher.

"I'm afraid so," nodded Preet.  "You're not disappointed are you?"

"Disappointed?  Are you serious?  If I had even the slightest clue you were interested in me...," giggled Meher.  "Let's just say...I have a feeling this is going to be my last blind date."

Preet placed his hand over hers.  "I'm going to hold you to that."

Hold her to it?  She was willing to give him any excuse to hold her.  She blushed at the thought.

The waiter arrived, and they ordered dinner.  They talked nonstop as they ate.  Preet asked her to dance as they waited for dessert to arrive.  He held her close to him as they swayed to the soft music.  He felt like heaven and smelled like it too.

A short while later...

"Mmm...that was really good," smiled Meher, as she finished off the last bite of her chocolate cake.

"Yeah," agreed Preet.  "Hey, would you like to go see a movie?  I know a theater that has a late showing of DDLJ.  It's kind of cheesy, but it is a classic."

"That's my favorite movie," Meher's face lit up.

Later that night...

"Well, here we are," said Meher, as Preet walked her to her door.

"Yup.  Here we are," sighed Preet.

"Um...thanks for taking me out tonight," said Meher.  "I had a wonderful time."

"So did I," smiled Preet.  "Thanks for taking a chance on me.  Maybe we can do this again real soon."

"Sure," nodded Meher.  "Maybe next weekend?"

"I was thinking more like tomorrow night," grinned Preet.

"I'd like that," Meher softly.

They both stood in awkward silence for a while, not quite sure what to say, and not really wanting the night to end either.

"Well...I had better go in...," began Meher.

"Meher wait...,"  Preet interrupted her.  "I was...uh...I was wondering if I...would it be okay if  I kissed you good night?"  He smiled softly at the astonished look on her face.

"K-k-k...you want to...m-m-me?" Meher stammered in disbelief.  Her words disappeared as he closed the distance between them, took her in his arms and kissed her tenderly on the lips.  His hands slowly rose and slipped under the heavy fall of her hair, cradling the back of her neck as he deepened the kiss.  Meher felt it all the way down to her toes.

Moments later...

Meher entered her flat and closed the door behind her.  She stood for a moment as if in a daze.  Did tonight really happen or was it all a dream?  She wrapped her arms about herself in a hug, unable to stop the smile that spread across her face.  If it was a dream, she never wanted to wake up from it.  She was happy.  Not just happy...ecstatic!  She had had the most wonderful date tonight.  Sam was a true friend.  She was right...she had found her Gaurav in this date.  Except his name was Preet.  Life was no longer going to be boring.  Wait until her mother found out!  She twirled around and headed over to calendar that hung on one side of the kitchen.  She picked up a red marker and circled the date in red.  December 2nd.  This was the day her life had changed.  This was the day she had gone on her last blind date.

Hope you all enjoy this OS written specifically for Meet's 10th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

Some parts of this story are inspired by a story by Susan Hatler, and of course
a dialogue or 2 from Dil Bole Hadippa. ðŸ˜†

Edited by Fatima_Q - 5 years ago
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Chapter 68 - Stand By Me

A few days later...

Preet's eyes snapped open in the middle of the night.  His hands automatically reached out for Meher.  She was there right next to him.  He let out a sigh of relief.

"Preet?" Meher mumbled as she looked at him through sleepy eyes.  "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Preet gave her a weak smile.  "Just had one of those dreams where you feel like you're falling off a cliff."

"Oh...," said Meher.  "You need to stop worrying Preet.  Everything will be alright.  I'm with you na...no matter what."  

"I know," said Preet.

"Try and get some sleep," sighed Meher.

Preet smiled as she snuggled up next to his arm and drifted back to sleep.  Having Meher come into his life was the best thing that could have happened to him.  She had stuck with him through thick and thin without ever once complaining.  He wanted to do so much for her.  She deserved so much more.  But up until now, he hadn't really been able to do anything.  And that bothered him.  It bothered him a lot.  

The next morning...

Meher woke up to the aroma of freshly toasted bread and coffee.   She turned to find Preet's place in bed empty.  "Preet...?" she mumbled, as she sat up and tried to rub the sleep from her eyes.  Her eyes widened in surprise when she picked up her alarm clock and saw the time.  It's almost 10:00am!  Why didn't my alam go off?!  She put her robe on, slipped out of bed and went to the washroom to freshen up.  Moments later, she was heading for the kitchen.  She found Preet there, with an apron on, busy preparing a tray of food.

"Let's see, I've got the eggs, toast, jam...," he was talking to himself.  "Where did I put that flower?"  He cleared up some of the clutter on the kitchen counter and found what he was looking for.  "Ah!  Here it is..."

"Preet, what are you doing?" asked Meher.

"Oh...hey Cinderella, you're up," he smiled back at her.  He looked at the tray he had just finished assembling.  "I...uh...I thought I would surprise you with breakfast in bed."

"That's nice of you," said Meher.  "But, aren't you late for work?  I'm sorry I over slept.  I don't even remember my alarm going off."

"That's because I turned it off before it did," admitted Preet.

"What?  Why?" asked Meher.

"Because...I...uh...I wanted to spend a leisurely morning with my favorite girl."  He picked up the tray, gave her a kiss on the cheek, and started walking to the bedroom.  "I wanted to surprise you, but no matter, we can still take everything back to the bed."

"But Preet, shouldn't you go open your office?" asked Meher.

"Meher, what good is it being your own boss, if you can't take a morning off and spend it with your beautiful wife?" asked Preet.  He picked up the artificial flower he had placed on the tray and handed it to her.  "For you.  I know it's a fake one, but some day...I'll bring roses for you...real ones...dozens and dozens of them, I promise.  Now come on, let's go back to bed and eat before everything gets cold.  And if you like what I made, maybe you can find some way to reward me."  He winked at her.

Meher shook her head and smiled.  "Preet, let's just have breakfast out here, okay."

"Why are you trying to keep me in a room other than the one you know I'm trying to take you to?" asked Preet.  Meher folded her arms across her chest determinedly.  "Alright alright," he sighed.  "Biwi ka hookum, sar ankhon pe.  Waise tum bilkul romantic nahin ho, hain (I submit to my wife's will.  You're not the least bit romantic, you know)."   He walked back to the living room and placed the tray on the coffee table.  "You want some coffee?  I'll pour you a cup."

"Thanks."  Meher sat down next to him and took the cup he had just offered her.  Something was wrong.  He was deliberately trying to be chirpy.  A little too chirpy.  "Preet, what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," said Preet.  "You take so much care of me every day, I just...I just wanted to do something special for you for a change."

"It's not our anniversary.  Or my birthday," Meher thought out loud.

"Meher I love you," chuckled Preet.  "I don't need a special occasion to do something nice for you.  I want to do it all the time.  I just felt like spending the morning with you.  In fact, I think we should spend the entire day together.  The weather seems nice.  What say we go out for a picnic or something?"

"What about the office?" asked Meher.  "Aren't you going to open it today?"

"What for?  Wahan bait ke waise bhi makhiyan hi marta hoon (I just kill time there)," sighed Preet.

"Because it's your business Preet," said Meher.  "It can only become what you make of it."  She took his hand in his and gave it an affectionate squeeze.  "You're trying to avoid going into work aren't you?"  She tried to look him in the eyes, but he avoided her gaze.  "Look, I know it's been a struggle, and you haven't had any luck landing a contract yet, but...what if this is the day that all changes?  What if some opportunity passes you by because you didn't bother to open your doors for it?"

"Meher...I...," sighed Preet.

"The Preet Juneja I know and love is not a quitter," said Meher.  "He's a fighter, and he can do anything he puts his mind to."

A smile slowly crept onto Preet's face.  Damn...this girl sure knew how to restore his confidence.

"So...we'll both enjoy this lovely breakfast you made, but then you're going to go and open your office," insisted Meher.  "We'll even have that picnic lunch you want, but I'll bring it and we'll have it...at your office.  As for the bedroom...it's off limits...at least until tonight."

"Urgh...okay done," grinned Preet.  "Waise Meher...thanks for having so much faith in me.  It really means a lot.  And thanks...mera sath dene ke liye (for standing by me)."

"Woh toh main hamesha doon gi (I'll always stand by you) Preet," smiled Meher.

The next day...

"Yes Mr. Joshi," Preet was on the phone with a client.  "I'm glad you liked my proposal.  Sir, I know my firm is new and you don't have any historical performance data to go by, but I assure you I can offer your company the best services at a very competitive rate.  Sir, I have some definite recommendations for improving customer satisfaction and returns for your investors.  Oh...and I also have some ideas for investments for the future growth of your company.  Perhaps we can meet again and discuss them.  Yes sir.  Certainly sir.  I look forward to your call sir."

"Sounds like a promising prospect," someone remarked.

Preet had just ended his call.  He looked up surprised to see Gaurav standing there.  "Gaurav!  Hey buddy, what a wonderful surprise!"  He rose from his desk, walked over to his friend and hugged him.  "It is so good to see you.  It seems like ages."

"Yeah," nodded Gaurav.  "What happened to you man?  Got so busy with your new life that you had no time for an old friend.  It's a good thing our wives are best friends and keep in touch, otherwise you would have forgotten about me altogether."

"No, it's not like that," sighed Preet.  "It's just...things have just been very...complicated.   Chal chod yaar (let it go man).  What brings you to Ludhiana?"

"Business of sorts," said Gaurav.  "Actually it's an old friend of my dad's.  His company is being audited for the first time so he's kind of freaking out.  He asked dad for help."

"And your dad sent him his best accountant," smiled Preet. 

"Something like that," chuckled Gaurav.

"I'm glad to here you're doing well," said Preet.  "How's Sam?"

"She's great," smiled Gaurav.  "She gets along wonderfully with my parents.  She takes care of me.  I take care of her.  We couldn't be happier."

"Match made in heaven," remarked Preet.

"Yeah, I really lucked out," nodded Gaurav.  "She's working on opening her own interior design showroom.  I hope you and Meher can come down for the opening."

"We'd love to," smiled Preet.

"So, you've started your own consultation firm.  Nice...," Gaurav said as he looked around the simply furnished office.  "You picked a great location.  How is it going?"

"Honestly, I'm killing time mostly," sighed Preet.  "I have the skill set Gaurav.  Every single client I've met with sees that, but I don't know what it is.  Either they're not willing to take a chance on a newbie, or they want a favor from Juneja Enterprises...and I just can't give them that.  I...I don't want to say anything to Meher but...things aren't looking too bright right now."  

"Hmm...well perhaps that may change," grinned Gaurav.  He opened up his briefcase, pulled out a file and placed it on Preet's desk.

"What's this?" asked Preet.

"You remember Prashant?" asked Garuav.

"Hmm...," Preet tried to jog his memory.  "Tall, blue-eyed, athletic...not very bright in the head."

"That's him alright," chuckled Gaurav.  "So...about a year ago, a rich relative died and left him a hefty sum of money.  He blew some of it away and invested the rest in a small manufacturing company right here in Ludhiana.  Unfortunately, he has no idea how to run the business, and he's going into loss.  I ran into him at my father-in-law's office.  He just gave him a contract for adding a new wing to his factory."

"Why is he building an addition if he's going into loss?" asked Preet.

"Like I said," Gaurav shrugged his shoulders.  "He has no idea how to run a business.  Anyways, we were catching up on old times and he asked me for help.  I told him I could look over his books, but that's about the extent of my expertise, for a proper business consultation, I...suggested he try you out.  He thought it was a good idea."

"What?  Really?!" Preet said excitedly.    

"It's not a very big client...," said Gaurav.  "But...you'd be doing an old classmate a favor."

"Are you kidding?!" cried Preet.  "Right now I'll take whatever I can get."

"His contact information is in the file," explained Gaurav.  "He's looking forward to your call."

"Thanks Gaurav," Preet hugged his friend.  "You just gave me my first break."

"Hey don't thank me, thank Meher," said Gaurav.  "I would never have known you started your own consultancy firm if she hadn't told Sam."

"Speaking of Meher," said Preet.  "She's going to come by with some lunch later on.  Why don't you stay?  I'm sure she'd love to see you."

"What?  You expect me to stick around and be the kabab mein haddi (3rd wheel) between you two?  No thanks," teased Gaurav.  He checked the time on his watch.  "Actually, I have to meet a client for lunch.  But I'm in Ludhiana for the next few days.  Tell Meher...I mean...tell Meher Bhabi, I'll stop by for dinner soon."

"Promise?" smiled Preet.

"Hey, I never say no to good food, so pakka (solid) promise," nodded Gaurav.  "I miss her cooking.  You know our wives speak to each other on the phone quiet often but Bhabi hasn't passed on any cooking tips to her best friend.  Not fair yaar.  I mean, Sam tries...but...let's just say we're lucky she hasn't burned down the house yet."

"It was really good too see you again Gaurav," laughed Preet.

"Same here buddy," Gaurav gave him a warm hug.  "Same here."  

Later that afternoon...

Meher walked into Preet's office carrying a picnic basket.  She had only been down here a few times before when Preet had initially opened his doors, and that too mostly to help out with cleaning and setting up the place.  She placed the basket she was holding on a table near the door then looked around the room.  Everything was neat and orderly, just the same as the day Preet had first set things up.  What was lacking was desk full of messy papers and scattered files, and phones ringing off the hook demanding the services of her very talented husband.  Poor Preet, she sighed.  No wonder he's so down all the time.  Well, she wasn't going to continue letting him feel depressed.  If the way to a man's heart was through his stomach, he was going o be very pleased with what she had brought him to eat.  But where was he?  "Preet?"  She called out.  There was no answer.  She walked over to the back and knocked on the washroom door.  "Preet?"  But he wasn't there either.  Maybe he went out to make copies or something.  Just then the phone rang.  Should I let it ring? Wondered Meher.  What if it's an important call from a client?  She may not know the answers to his questions, but she could at least take down a message.  She cleared her throat, took a deep breath and picked up the phone.  "Good afternoon Preet Juneja's office.  How may I help you?"

"This is Karan Joshi," said the caller.  "I'd like to speak to Preet Juneja."

"I'm sorry sir, Mr. Juneja isn't available right now," said Meher.  "Would you care to leave a message?"

"Well...," sighed Mr. Joshi.  "...just tell him I've thought things through and my company won't be needing his services after all."

"Why?" asked Meher.

"What do you mean why?" Mr. Joshi asked in surprise.

"I mean did you not like his proposal?" asked Meher.

"No...actually...he put up one hell of a proposal," admitted Mr. Joshi.

"Then why don't you wan to hire him?" demanded Meher.

"I...uh...well...if you must know...we've decided to go with someone more experienced," said Mr. Joshi.

"Well that's not fair," cried Meher.

"Excuse me?" said Mr. Joshi.

"You don't know what you're turning down sir.  Preet is a very talented businessman," Meher interrupted him.  "He's got excellent qualifications too.  You won't hire him, because he lacks experience, but how is he supposed to get experience if you don't give him a chance in the first place?"

"Listen young lady...," tried Mr. Joshi.

"Sir, are you aware that small businesses contribute to about 37% of India's GDP and employ roughly 120 million people?" continued Meher.  "Those people not only run their households, they are consumers sir.  Some of them for the goods and services your own company offers.  They are tax payers sir, and make our country run.  And what would happen if you don't support the small businessman?  That business fails.  About 50% of all small businesses fail in their very first year sir."

"So?" asked Mr. Joshi.

"So do you want to be responsible for a small business failing?" asked Meher.

"No...I...," said Mr. Joshi.

"Sir...aap bhi toh kabhi na kabhi new thay na (Sir you were new once too, right)? argued Meher.

"Well...yes," said Mr. Joshi.

"Imagine where you would be if no one had given you a break," added Meher.    "If Preet fails sir, because you didn't want to give a newcomer a chance, it'll be all your fault.  Ji han!"

"Meher?" Preet walked into the office holding some papers in his hand.  "Who are you talking to?"

"Uh...Mr. Joshi...my husba...I mean Mr. Juneja is back sir," said Meher.  "I'll...uh...I'll let you speak to him directly."

"Hello," said Preet.  "Yes sir.  I'm sorry sir.  No sir.  Actually sir...that was my wife."  He glared at Meher.  "You'll have to excuse her sir.  I'm sure she didn't mean any harm...I...uh...yes sir..."

Oh-O, thought Meher.  Looks like I over did it.  Poor Preet.  He's in trouble now because of me.

"I understand sir," said Preet.  "I'll do that.  Thank you for understanding.  I really appreciate it."  He slowly placed the phone's receiver back onto its cradle and exhaled loudly before looking up at Meher.  "What do you think you were doing?"  

"Sorry Preet," Meher gave him an apologetic look.  "You weren't here so I answered the phone...and...I...uh...I guess I sort of got carried away."

"Sort of?" said Preet.  "Meher, have you any idea how hard I've worked to secure that contract?"

"I know but...to hell with Mr. Joshi," cried Meher.  "And to hell with his stupid company.  You don't need him any way Preet.  Just...just forget about him."

"I don't know if I can do that Meher," Preet shook his head.  "...because he just gave me the contract."

"See...that's exactly what I mean...," said Meher.  "...so what if he said no...there will be others that...wait what?"

"Mr. Joshi said yes," chuckled Preet.  "In fact, he said after your impassioned speech to him in my favor, he dared not say no."

"You got your first contract?!" Meher's mouth fell open in surprise.

"Second," Preet corrected her.  "Gaurav came by earlier today and dropped off a file for another client."

Just then the phone rang.  "Hello," Preet answered.  "Hey Prashant.  Did you get my email?  Okay.  Sure I can handle that.  Just give him my contact details and I'll get back to him.  Sure.  In the meantime, I'll pencil you in for 10am this coming Thursday.  Great.  I'll see you then."

"What happened?" Meher asked eagerly.

"That was Prashant," explained Preet.  "Gaurav and I went to school with him.  He's actually the client Gaurav referred to me.  And, he just referred me to another interested party.  That means..."

"You're on a roll," Meher finished his sentence.  "I'm so proud of you Preet."  She walked over to him and gave him a warm hug.  "You did it...you really did it!"

"Thanks Cinderella," Preet smiled as he looked down into her eyes.  "But it wasn't just me.  We did it...together."

A few months...December 2...

"Preet," Meher sighed, as he led her blindfolded up a flight of stairs.  "Where are we going?"

"I told you Cinderella, it's a surprise," replied Preet.

"This isn't funny anymore," complained Meher.  "And...I feel like a complete idiot wearing this blindfold."  

She reached for the cloth covering her eyes, but Preet stopped.  "Na-uhn Cinderella," he grinned.  "I told you na...it's a surprise.  Just be a little more patient.  We're almost there."  Meher led out an exasperated sigh as he led her down a hall.  She didn't have to wait much longer though.  Preet brought her to stop in front of a door.  "Okay...are you ready?"

Meher made a face.  "I've been ready for the past half hour."

"Tan ta da!" said Preet as he removed her blindfold.

Meher rubbed her eyes and looked around.    She was in a brightly lit hallway of an apartment building.  Her husband was leaning against the door frame of the flat before her grinning like the Cheshire cat.  "I thought you were taking me out for dinner.  This isn't any restaurant."  Meher looked around again.  She could swear she had been here before.  Yes, she had definitely been here before.  About a month ago, a real estate agent had shown her and Preet flats in several buildings.  This was definitely one of them.  "Are we here to meet someone?" she asked.

"Not quite," smiled Preet.  He moved out of the way and pointed to the nameplate by the door.  It read Junejas.

"Ju...Junejas?" Meher said in surprise.  "Preet.  What's going on?"

"Happy anniversary Mrs. Juneja, and welcome to our new home," Preet chuckled as he handed her a set of keys.  She stared at them blankly.

"Our home?" stammered Meher.  "You mean the bank approved our loan?"  

"Yes," laughed Preet.  "Now come on Cinderella, open the door."  Meher nodded.  With shaking hands she unlocked the door an pushed it open.  "Okay, now wait here for just a minute.  There's something I want want to do."  Preet went inside and moments later returned with a long rectangular tray covered in plastic.  He carefully unwrapped it and placed it on the floor at the entrance of the flat.

"What's this?" Meher as she looked down at the tray.  It seemed to be filled with clay.

"This is called making memories," said Preet.  He stepped over the tray and stood next to Meher.  "Come on Cinderella.  We just became home owners for the very first time, aren't you excited?"

"Preet...first the new car a few months ago, and now our very own home," cried Meher.  "Are you sure we're not over doing it?"

"No Meher," replied Preet.  "We're not over doing it."

"It almost seems like a dream," sighed Meher.

"Oh believe me, this is very real," grinned Preet.  He took her hand in his and both stepped inside the flat, making sure to leave a footprint in the clay.  Meher put her purse down on the table by the entrance and looked around the tastefully furnished space.  Preet picked up the tray and placed it on one side of the room to dry.  "All our stuff will be packed and delivered to us here by tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I made sure we had everything we need right here."  He checked the time on his watch.  "Oh and dinner should be here in a half and hour."

"Looks like you've thought of everything," Meher smiled as he joined her.  "It's all so perfect Preet.  I can't think of a better anniversary gift."

"I can," Preet smiled back at her as he put his arm around her shoulders and gave her a side hug.  He led her to the living room and made her sit down on the sofa.  There was a gift wrapped box lying on the coffee table. 

Meher looked at it questioningly.  "There's more?"  He nodded in response.  She pulled the box closer to herself, then removed the lid.  It seemed empty to her at first, but when she pushed aside the colored paper tissue inside, her fingers came across some papers stapled together. She picked them up and went through them.  Her mouth fell open and her eyes grew wide in surprise.  "Is this for real?"

"It sure is Cinderella," chuckled Preet.  "Those are your admission papers to Chandigarh University.  Classes start on the second of January, so you have exactly one month to prepare.  You can complete your final year and get your bachelors degree in education like you always wanted."

"Oh my God Preet!" cried Meher.  "I know we've talked about this in passing, but I never thought this would actually materialize.  You...you don't know how much this means to me!"  She leaped up, threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.

"I'm beginning to get a pretty good idea," he laughed.

"I love you Preet!" said Meher.  She kissed him fully on the lips.

Preet noticed the tears in her eyes when she pulled away.   "Hey Cinderella," he said worriedly.  "All this was meant to make you happy.  Not make you cry."

Meher shook her head and smiled.  "These are happy tears Preet.  I'm very very happy."

"Good," said Preet, as he held her locked in his embrace.  "Now for my gift."

"Your gift?" said Meher.

"Yes...I've been planning all this for months," Preet pointed out.  "Because I wanted to make our first anniversary super special."

"And you did," agreed Meher.

"So...uh...don't I get a gift?" he asked.

"Well...I...uh...I did get you a tie...," remarked Meher.

"You got me a tie?" frowned Preet.  He loosened his hold on her.  "For our first anniversary?"

"But it's still at our old place," Meher gave him an apologetic look.

"You got me a tie...and you didn't even remember to bring it with you," sighed Preet. 

"Uh...I'm sorry...how was I supposed to know we weren't just going out to dinner?" Meher shrugged her shoulders.

"Oh," said Preet.

"You're disappointed," said Meher.

"No," lied Preet.  "Well, maybe just a little.  I mean, it's not like I need a gift or anything.  I'm...I'm just disappointed that this day didn't mean as much to you as it did to me."

"Wait...maybe I can find something inside my purse," suggested Meher.  She walked over to her purse and reached inside.  "Hmm...I've got a chocolate bar...um...a stick of gum..."

"Rehne do (Let it be) Meher," sighed Preet.

"Now hold on Preet," said Meher as she continued to fish inside her bag.  "A girl's purse can be quite magical sometimes."  She pulled her hand back up.  The spaghetti straps of a shiny, black satin neglige hung by her index finger.  "I was saving this until after dinner...but...how about we go inaugurate that brand new bedroom of ours?"  She raised her eyebrows up and down at looked at him invitingly.

Preet's knees almost buckled under her seductive gaze.  A smile slowly crept up to his face, and he opened his arms wide for her.  She didn't hesitate for even a minute, and ran to him.  He wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly.  He rubbed his chin across the top of her head, loving the way her silky hair felt against his skin, and inhaled her fragrance.  Lilacs.  She always smelled like lilacs.  Fresh, sweet, innocent.

"Happy anniversary Preet," Meher looked up and smiled at him.

"Happy anniversary Cinderella," he replied.  He leaned down and kissed her sweetly, before lifting her up and carrying her off to the bedroom. 

Chapter 69: Meet expecting a baby! ðŸ˜²

Link to: Chapter 69

Link to Table of Contents: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/136805557

Edited by Fatima_Q - 5 years ago
Rhea_401 thumbnail
Firstlyyy a biggg hug for the double surprise... 🤗 ...

You left me like 😲

Coming the Blind date - So a hottie falls for a plain jane... Classic... Must say put in Preet Juneja style... 😉 ... yaar aisa mera saath kyun nahi hota??...

can so imagine Preet as a boss... can't blame Meher... poor girl... anyone would have been nervous AF...It's the 'Preet Juneja' afterall... 😆

Do do write more Fatima...As they say

An OS a week .. keeps Meetians at peak... 😆 ... bad one but nonetheless posted it:P

As for the update... Kya kahun...finallyyy Preet is on a roll... Getting his due... and Meher sucha rockstar she is ... scolded the hell out of that client...she proved that biwi chahe toh praan bhi waapis la sakti hai yeh contract kya cheez hai 😆

And the anniversary- never knew Meher could be so naughty huh... meena kumari turns into mallika sherawat ..:P... amazing

I see the problems getting sorted as we are heading towards the end..., 😭 ... do you plan to write more??Edited by Rhea_401 - 5 years ago
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Again with the reserves...😳
Rhea_401 thumbnail

Again with the reserves...😳

haha... yaar i read before sleeping,.. before you even messaged.. was too excited but then couldn't muster the energy to type ... i had a lot to...

Now unreserved...,
Chit15 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Wow wow wow
What a beautiful double surprise
First blind date OS was fresh and sweet story of Meet 

Now to your story it was gegre to see Gaurav making come back and helping Preet
I am so happy Preet Meher problems are sorting out
Awesome update
Fatima_Q thumbnail