Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 5 years ago
Guys I will finish this FF in a really nice way.
I've got 1 or 2 chapters left.

However, right now is tax season so I'm really busy.  Please be patient. 

Thanks πŸ€—
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Chapter 72 - A Family Reunion

"So, this is what I have to look forward to?" Gaurav sighed as he looked over the scene before him.  It was Gungun's first birthday party.  He and Preet stood in one corner of the living room watching the noisy group of children ages one to three run around, while their moms tried to referee them. 

"Yup," chuckled Preet.  He took the small bunch of balloons he was holding and stuck it on the wall behind them.  "But you guys still have some time before the baby comes."

"Yeah, but this pregnancy is driving me crazy," Gaurav shook his head.  "Would you believe, the other day, Sam put a stick of butter in the shower and the soap in the fridge."

"I bet you smelled like crap all day," chuckled Preet.

"Not as bad as my toast tasted," sighed Gaurav.

"Did you say something Gaurav?" Sam asked as she passed by them.

"Just how much I'm looking forward to when it's our turn to do all this," Gaurav lied with a straight face.

"Liar," chuckled Sam.  She turned and smiled at the children.  "I can't believe our little Gungun is already a year old.  Time passes by so fast."  She walked over to Meher and handed her a roll of paper towels.  "Here, this should help with the spill."

"Thanks Sam," sighed Meher.  "The kids are getting restless.  I think we should get the cake cutting done and call it a day."  She picked up Gungun and handed her to Preet as she and Sam walked back to the kitchen.  Meher carefully took the birthday cake out of its box and placed it on the cake stand.  "Sam, there's a cake knife and server in the kitchen drawer next to the stove.  Could you please bring that?"

"Sure," smiled Sam.  She looked through the drawer and found the utensils Meher had asked for, but she also found something else.  It was an envelope.  "Hey, what's this?" She asked as she held it up.  "It looks like an invitation."

"An invitation?" Meher said in surprise.  She took the envelope from Sam and began to open it up, when Preet spotted her.

"No wait!  You weren't supposed to..." he cried as he rushed to her side.  He tried to take the envelope from Meher but she hid it behind her back.  "...see that..."

"I wasn't supposed to see it?  Why not?" asked Meher.  "Is it a surprise?"  She grinned as opened the envelope.  "It's a surprise isn't it?  I bet it's something really special.  Are we going somewhere?"  She reached in and pulled out a card.  "Hey Sam, you were right, it is an invitation."  A smile spread on her face as she read the card.  "Preet...you've been selected as Ludhiana's young entrepreneur of the year.  This is wonderful!  I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks," Preet said meekly.

"Why did you want to hide that from Meher?" asked Sam.

"Award ceremony is a week from now," Meher read the invitation.  "Being held at...Juneja Enterprises Luxury Hotel in Ludhiana.  Formal attire required.  Please RSVP.  Guest of honor wil be..."  Her voice suddenly trailed off.

"What?  What happened?" asked Sam.  She took the card from her friend.  "Guest of honor will be Mr. Lalit...Lalit Juneja...of Juneja Enterprises."

A short while later...

"Wow Preet!  How brilliant of you," Gaurav said sarcastically.  "If you didn't want Meher to find out, why did you hide the invitation in the kitchen drawer of all places?"

"It had just come in the mail, and I was looking it over when she walked in on me," sighed Preet.  "The drawer was the closest hiding place.  I was going to retrieve it later then forgot.  I don't see why she's so upset anyway.  It's not like I was going to go."

"Uh Preet...," said Gaurav.

"In fact, I'm the one who should be upset," continued Preet.  "That envelope was addressed to me and she shouldn't have opened it."

"Yeah...uh...Preet...," Garuav tried again.

"She can be really nosy when she wants to you know," said Preet.  "And now I'm probably going to be in the dog house for like a week...and..."  He paused as he saw Gaurav look past him and wince.  "Wait...she's standing right behind me isn't she?"

"You should have quit while you were ahead buddy," Gaurav shook his head.

"Sam's ready to leave," said Meher.

"Ah...yeah...she's probably tired from all the day's excitement," Gaurav spoke up quickly.  "It was a great party Meher.  Thanks for having us over."

"Are you sure you guys won't stay longer?" Preet asked hopefully.

"I've got a meeting early in the morning," sighed Gaurav.  "And the drive home is pretty long."

"Thanks for coming Gaurav Bhaiya," Meher said quietly before turning to go back inside.

Later...

Preet was playing video games when Meher walked out of Gungun's room.  "Is the baby asleep?" he asked.  She didn't answer.  Preet put the controls of his game down and watched as his wife quietly headed to the kitchen and opened the fridge, then pulled out the remains of Gungun's birthday cake.  "Leftover cake?  What a great idea!"  He came up behind her thinking she would offer him some, but she took out a fork only for herself and stood by the counter eating it alone. 

Preet grabbed a fork from the kitchen drawer and tried to get some cake, but Meher covered it protectively with both arms.  "Go away!" she cried.

"Come on Meher, don't tell me you're going to eat the whole thing on your own," protested Preet.  He tried to nick a piece of cake with his fork, but Meher blocked him again.  "Fine!" he cried.  I know a better way to get some.  He put his fork down on the counter, placed his hands on her waist and spun her around to face him. 

"What the...?!" Meher cried in surprise, as Preet leaned forward and kissed her, taking the cake crumbs off her lips in the process.

"Mmm," he grinned with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.  "Chocolaty."  He was about to kiss her again, when she pushed him away.

"Stop it Preet.  This isn't funny or cute," said Meher.

"It isn't?" said Preet.

"No, it isn't," frowned Meher.  She pointed to the invitation lying on one side of the counter.  "I mean when did we get to this point in our relationship that we have to hide things from each other?"

"I wasn't hiding anything from you," Preet shrugged his shoulders.  "I just wasn't planning on going."

"Why not?" Meher asked pointedly.  "They want to recognize your achievement.  You've worked really hard these past few years.  You deserve it."

"It's not a big deal," sighed Preet.  "I mean, I didn't work hard for recognition.  I did it for you...me...us...our family.  Besides...you know who the guest of honor is going to be."

"Your father," nodded Meher.  "All the more reason for you to go.  He'll be so proud of you."

"No he won't," Preet shook his head.  "He'll probably walk right off the stage.  And quite frankly, I don't care to see him either."

"Preet...look at me...," sighed Meher.  She reached out with her hand and turned his face towards her.  "When are you going to stop pretending like you don't miss your family?  And yes...even your dad."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Preet turned away.  "Anyway, I can't believe you're saying all this.  Have you forgotten everything he's said and done?"

"No, I haven't.  But I'm not going to let whatever happened in the past keep me from stepping forth to mend fences.  Maybe it's something we've put off doing for too long already," said Meher. 

"Meher...," sighed Preet.

"Just think of Gungun, Preet," continued Meher.  "I want her to grow up knowing her family, in the midst of Chahat and Tanu and the rest of her cousins.  I want her to get to know her aunts and uncles better.  I want her to be able to see where you spent your most memorable moments with your mom.  And I want her to know and love her grandfather too.  I think of Prem Jiju and Heer Didi.  How they have to come up with excuses to come see us or even call, because they don't want to increase the tension in the house.  Remember how Tanu and Chahat used to fight over who was your favorite?"

"My Chachu is the best Chachu in the whole world," Preet sighed reminiscing over how Chahat used to address him. 

"We've missed out on being there for so many things with Chahat, Prateek and the rest of the kids," said Meher.  "I don't want to miss out any longer."

"Neither do I," agreed Preet.  "But still...you don't know how rigid my dad can be."

"Well, I can't change his opinion about me by avoiding him, can I?" reasoned Meher.  "Let's go to this function and face him.  Let's try our best and see what happens.  At least that way we won't have any regrets on our part."

"Just how did I wind up with such a samajdar (intelligent) wife?" Preet threw his arms around Meher and hugged her.

"Umm...just lucky I guess," she chuckled.

1 week later...

Preet and Meher walked into the venue where the excellence in business achievements awards were going to be presented.  Meher held Gungun in her arms, and watched as Preet showed their invitation to a man at the entrance and then followed him to a table with their names on it.

"Okay," Preet took a deep breath.  "We're here."  He looked around anxiously for any sign of his father.

"And we'll be fine," Meher reassured him.  "And Gungun is going to be on her best behavior right?"  The baby squirmed in her arms and reached for the flower arrangement on the table.  "You want to see this?" Meher pointed to the flowers.  She held Gungun and passed her little hand over the flowers.  "It's not real, see.  Here, why don't we sit down and see if mommy has something more exciting in her purse for you?"  She pulled the chair next to her closer and sat the baby down.  Keeping one hand on Gungun's leg, she fished around her purse with her free hand and pulled out a bottle and toy cell phone to keep her distracted.  Gungun gladly accepted the toy.

"Preet?" someone called out.

Preet and Meher looked up and smiled when they saw that it was Prem.  He was making his way over to them.

"Hey PB," Preet got up and greeted his brother with a hug.

"I'm so glad you guys decided to come," smiled Prem.  "How have you been Meher?  You must be so proud of your husband."

"I sure am," Meher beamed.  "Is Heer Didi here too?"

"She wanted to come, but Prateek can be a bit of a handful, so she decided to stay back," explained Prem.  "Well now...look at this little miss."  He walked over to where Gungun sat and picked her up.  "She's growing up so fast.  It seems like just yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital.  I'm sorry your aunt Heer and I couldn't make it to your first birthday kiddo."  He tickled Gungun's tummy.  "Your cousin Chahat sent you a gift though.  I'll be sure to give it to you before you leave."  Gungun squirmed and began to whine a little.  "O-oh," said Prem.  "Did I upset you sweetie?"

"I'm sorry Prem Jiju," Meher said apologetically.  "She's just not that familiar with you."

"I guess you're right," sighed Prem.  He carefully sat Gungun back on her chair and passed a loving hand over her head, as he watched her pick up her phone and press some buttons.  "Plus I took her away from her phone.  That's a definite no no for young ladies these days.  Um...have you guys seen Bauji?"

"Not yet," said Preet.  "I'll admit I don't know how I feel about seeing him though."

"Look Preet, do me a favor and let by gones be by gones.  It's been 4 years since you left home.  I know Bauji was super angry when you did, but he's mellowed out a lot over the last few years.  He doesn't say it, but he misses you.  Still, you know how he is.  He's not going to admit he did anything wrong, nor is he going to make the first move."  Prem put a reassuring hand on his brother's shoulder.  "Just talk to Bauji.  If nothing else, do it for my sake.  I miss you little bro.  And so does Herman, Heer, Chahat and everyone else."

"I miss you guys too...a lot...," Preet admitted wistfully.  "But Bauji...what if he avoids me?"

"Well, he is going to be handing you your award, so he can't really do that," remarked Prem. 

"Let's just hope he doesn't hit me over the head with it," Preet let out a nervous chuckle.  Just then another couple passing by stopped to greet Preet, Meher, and Prem.  The small group quickly became engrossed in polite conversation.

Gungun's phone slipped out of her hand and onto the floor.  It was only for a minute, but the divergence in her parent's attention was enough for her to slide off the chair to get her phone.  A man walking by accidentally kicked the toy further away with his stride.  The baby took small cautious steps away from the table in search of her phone.  She grinned as she saw it lying between the feet of another man engrossed in conversation with someone else.  To the man's surprise, she clung to his leg for support as she bent down to pick up the toy, before deciding to sit herself down on his expensive shoes and press the colorful light up buttons on it.

"What on earth?" cried Lalit Juneja, as he looked down and found a cute little girl sitting on his feet.  His frown quickly melted into a smile as the toddler looked up at him with a smile showing all 4 of little teeth.  "Well well...what do we have here?"  Lalit said as he crouched down to her level.

"Gungun?!"  Meher called out.  "Gungun where are you?"  She, Preet and Prem were frantically searching for the little girl.

Perm was the first one to run into his father.  "Bauji aap?" he said, amazed to him carrying Gungun in his arms.

"Look at her Prem," Lalit smiled warmly.  "She just caught hold of my leg and sat down on my designer shoes as if they were the perfect seat for her.  And she's now taken hold of my tie as if she owns me."  The old man let out a chuckle before turning serious.  "What kind of incompetent parents would lose her like this?  It's unforgivable I tell you...unforgivable!"  Gungun giggled not understanding his words.  "You know...it's strange...but I can't get over just how much her smile reminds me of your mother."

"Uh...Bauji...actually...," stammered Prem.

"Gungun!  Prem Jiju...did you find her...?"  Meher rushed to Prem's side.  She stopped mid-sentence when she realized she was standing before her father-in-law. 

Just at that moment," Preet also joined her.  "B-B-Bauji...aap?"  He too was surprised to see his father holding Gungun.

"Namaste Sir.  I mean, namaste Bauji," stammered Meher.

"Gungun?" Lalit said in surprise as it dawned on him that he was holding his very own grand-daughter. 

Recognizing her name being called out, the little girl broke out into a large smile.  "Gu-gu," she tried and rewarded him with a pat on his cheek.

"Oh my!  Gungun, you shouldn't do that," Meher said worriedly.  "Oh God...she's pulling on your tie.  I'm so sorry Bauji.  I'll take her away right now.  She won't bother you anymore."

"Bother?  Why would I be bothered by my own blood?  Isn't that right Gungun?" asked Lalit.

Meher reached out for the baby, but she turned and threw both her little arms around Lalit's neck.  "Hai Rabba!  What's gotten into this girl today?"

"She's Lalit Juneja's grand-daughter.  She can do whatever she wants," chuckled Lalit.  He turned to Preet with narrowing eyes.  "You...!  Were you flying too high in the sky now that you've made it in business...that you forgot how to be a responsible father?"

"No...I...," tried Preet.

"Not only have you two selfishly kept me apart from my grand-daughter, you almost lost her too!" Lalit cut him off.  He looked at Gungun.  "How shall we punish these two Gungun?"

"Punish?" Preet's mouth fell open.  "Gungun you traitor."

Gungun babbled something incoherent in reply.

"I think that's an excellent idea, young lady," nodded Lalit.  He started to walk away with her.

"Uh...excuse me...Bauji...but where are you going?" asked Meher.

"To my table," explained Lalit.  He paused for a moment before continuing.  "You two...are welcome to join us.  Come Gungun, Dadu's going to arrange a special seat for you."

"Dadu?  Is that really Bauji?" Preet asked in a daze as his father walked away.  "He seems like an entirely different person."

"Well, he's always had a soft spot for his grandchildren...," chuckled Prem.  "Especially the girls.  As far as he's concerned they can do no wrong."

"I can't believe my own daughter turned her back on me for another guy," sighed Preet.

"That other guy happens to be her grand-father.  We should be grateful Gungun helped break the ice for us.  Come on Preet, get over it," Meher chuckled as she followed Lalit.

"Et tu Brutus?" mumbled Preet.  

Later that evening...

Preet walked in awkward silence alongside his father, in the lawn behind the hotel.  The evening had gone pretty well.  His father had moved him and Meher to his own VIP table, and spent much of the time doting on Gungun.  He had handed him his award with a quiet smile on his face.  And, when the press had asked him how he had felt about his youngest son's achievement, he had simply replied that he wasn't surprised.  After all Preet was a Juneja, and business was in the Juneja's blood.  Even a question about why Preet had gone separate ways from Juneja Enterprises, hadn't phased him.  His father had simply pointed out that his older sons had also worked in other companies to gain experience, before joining the family business full-time.  Had he said all those things for to keep up appearances in public, in front of the press?  wondered Preet.  Or, had he really meant it?  And, just what was it that his father wanted to discuss with him now...alone?  He wanted to let go of the past, like PB had said to, but if his father said anything against Meher, he didn't think he could hold back.    

"Ahem," Lalit cleared his throat.  "I...uh...I didn't get a chance to say it earlier...but...congratulations."

"Thanks," said Preet.

"You know, I really hate coming to these events," said Lalit.

"Yeah, me too," said Preet.  "I wasn't going to come, but Meher convinced me otherwise."

"You weren't going to come even though you were one of the honorees?" asked Lalit.

"Yeah...well...it was just...," stammered Preet.  Way to go Preet!  Why had he said that out loud?  "What I mean is...I was hoping...

"...to avoid me?"  Lalit finished his sentence.  Preet winced and looked away.  "It's okay.  You don't have to pretend.  We haven't exactly been..."

"...in touch," said Preet.

"...or on the friendliest of terms," added Lalit.

"Well, that's because you didn't want to see me or Meher," said Preet.

"Oh?  Are you going to put this on me now?" asked Lalit. 

"Well, it's the truth," said Preet.

"When did you ever listen to anything I said?" said Lalit.  "You usually just stormed up to your room and slammed the door with enough force to shake the chandeliers."

"Come on Bauji...you know it was different this time," sighed Preet.

"Perhaps," admitted Lalit.  "Perhaps I was unusually harsh..."

"And cold...and calculated...," added Preet.

"Preet...," his father sighed.

"I'd say you were down right vicious...," continued Preet.

"Preet!" cried Lalit.  "Ho gaya (are you done)?"  Preet bit his lower lip and nodded.  "You and Meher have done really well for yourselves.  Even though you started out living at that God-forsaken rooftop flat.  Flat?  Ha!  It was a walk in closet compared to your room back home.  And you actually sold saris."

"You were keeping tabs on us?" Preet asked in surprise.

"Of course," said Lalit.

"Why?  Wait a minute...you didn't help us out did you?" asked Preet.

"No," said Lalit.  "I...I admit, at first I didn't help because I wanted to see you fail.  I wanted you to come running back home with your tail between your legs and beg me to take you back.  But you didn't.  Every set back only made you more determined.  And then I learned about Meher selling her jewelry so you could rent your first office space...I knew right then and there that I had misjudged her.  After that, I wanted to reach out to you...but...I thought it better not to.  You wanted to prove yourself and I didn't want to take anything away from that by butting in."

"I'm glad.  It wasn't easy, but we managed," Preet smiled softly.  "Having Meher by my side, made all he difference."

"Hmm," nodded Lalit.  "Having the person you love most by your side can make a word of difference.  I knew what that was like once."  He looked up into the stars twinkling in the night sky.  "Your mother would have been proud of you.  And so am I."

"You are?" Preet looked at his father in surprise.

"Yes, I am," said Lalit.  "I...uh...I know someone who'd like to buy out your consultancy firm.  He's made a pretty good offer.  I think you should consider it."   

"Sell my firm?" said Preet.  "Why?"

"Because I think it's time you, Meher, and Gungun came home...," said Lalit.  "...it's where you belong."

"Bauji...," Preet was stunned.  "I don't know what to say."

"Well, say yes son," said Lalit.  "You don't expect me to grovel, do you?"  Preet was at a loss for words.  "What?  Why aren't you saying anything?"

"No...I...," stammered Preet.  "You congratulated me, told me you're proud of me, invited me to move back home and called me son all in one conversation.  It's a bit much to digest."

"Talk it over with Meher, and see what she says," offered Lalit.  "She may...have some grudges...she has every right to..."

"She's not holding any grudges Bauji," smiled Preet.  "Like I said before, she was the one who convinced me to come here.  She wanted us to make peace some how."

"You mean...there's actually a chance our family can be reunited again?" Lalit asked hopefully.

"I think there's more than a good chance," grinned Preet.  "I can't believe I'm saying this but Meher was right, I've actually missed this Eid ka chand (Eid moon)."  He put his arm around his father's shoulder then patted his balding head.

Lalit sighed.  He shrugged his son's arm off and started walking back towards the hotel.

"Hey, where are you going Bauji?" asked Preet.

"I really should have though twice before making him that offer," Lalit muttered under his breath.

"Hey Bauji, wait up," cried Preet as he ran after him.

One month later...

The elevator door opened and Meher walked into the 10th floor offices of the Delhi branch of Juneja Enterprises.  Prem Jiju had left for a month long trip to London, and Preet had been preparing to fill his shoes all alone starting today.  She knew he was nervous, so she thought she'd surprise him with lunch from home.  Mrs. Roy, Prem's secretary met her in the hallway and pointed her in the right direction.  She finally found his office cabin, and was surprised to see a pretty young woman was sitting at the desk outside filing her nails.

"Hi," smiled Meher.  "I'm here to see Preet...uh...I mean Mr. Preet Juneja."

"Do you have an appointment?" the young woman asked, not looking up from her nails.

"No...I just...," tried Meher.

"Well you can't just walk in on him without an appointment," the girl rolled her eyes.  "He's a busy man.  What do you need anyway?  A job?  You're not exactly dressed to kill."  She eyed the tiffin Meher was holding.  "You think you'll work your way up through his stomach?  Pfftt!  Forget it.  I already tried that, and it doesn't work.  Besides, you're not his type."

"Is that so?" Meher said with a raised brow.

Just then the door to Preet's office opened and he walked out holding a file.  "Meher?!"  He smiled.  "Just the person I wanted to see.  What a wonderful surprise!"  He walked over to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Preet!" Meher hissed at him then glanced over at the young woman, who was staring at them with her mouth open in surprise.

"Oh hey, let me introduce you guys to each other," said Preet.  "This is Jackie, my secretary...and Jackie this is my wife...Meher Juneja."

"M-M-Mrs. Juneja?" stammered Jackie.  She stood up and looked at Meher apologetically.  "I'm so sorry, I didn't know..."

"Hey Jackie, make the corrections I've outlined and get this file over to accounting asap," Preet instructed her.  He handed her the file then took Meher's hand and led her inside.  "So, what brings you here?" he asked as he closed the door behind them.

"I thought we could celebrate your first big solo day by having lunch together," said Meher.  She held up the tiffin.

"Ah...I see...that was nice of you," smiled Preet.

Meher looked around the office.  "This is really nice Preet."

"Yeah, Bauji really went all out," said Preet.  He walked back to his desk and looked over the papers scattered on it.

"So...that girl...is she really your secretary?" asked Meher.

"Yes, why?" asked Preet.

"No, it's just that...," Meher bit her lower lip nervously as she walked up to him.  "...how come your secretary looks like a super model and Prem Jiju's secretary looks like Mrs. Doubtfire?"

"What?" said Preet.

"She actually had the nerve to suggest I wasn't your type," Meher said with a pout.

"She did, did she?" Preet chuckled as he pulled his wife into his arms.  "What does she know about my Meena Kumari?  By the way, you look super cute when you're jealous."

"Stop teasing Preet," sighed Meher.  "...and tell me how your first day is going?"

"Awful...hectic...," he tried to think of other words to describe his day.  "PB's gone, and Bauji has already handed me my first solo client account to handle."

"But you had clients in your consultancy firm Preet," Meher pointed out.

"It was all small fish compared to this Meher," sighed Preet.  "I mean, we're talking international level dealings here.  We had a meeting this morning and the client presented us with all their models and figures.  I mean, ordinarily I would have no problem working with models and figures..."  He waved his hands in the air to the shape of a female silhouette, then picked up a paper and looked at it confused.  "...but all this seems like Chinese to me right now.  I don't know...I just need something to inspire me...something to get me going..."

"I wish I could help," Meher shrugged her shoulders.  She watched as Preet turned to look at her.  A strange look slowly washed over his face.  She had seen that look plenty of times.  "Wait...what are you thinking?"

"You really want to know the truth?" a sly grin began to appear on his face.

"Yes, of course," said Meher.  "I mean...I think so.  Just what do you have in mind?"

"You out of those over-sized clothes...sprawled on my desk...and me with 15 minutes to do whatever I want to...," Preet began to move things off his desk.

"What?!?  No way Preet!" cried Meher.

"I thought you wanted to celebrate together," said Preet.

"With lunch Preet...lunch!" exclaimed Meher.  "Not...not that...sheesh!  Is that all you ever think about?" she blushed.

Preet took her hand and pulled her closer to him.  "Come on Meher...I can't think of a better way to get inspired."

"It's your office Preet," Meher tried to think of an excuse.  "Look at all those windows."

"We'll shut the blinds," countered Preet.  He moved to the windows and began to pull the blinds down.

"What if...what if your secretary walks in?" tried Meher.

Preet walked over to the door and locked it.  He then picked up his phone.  "Hey Jackie...my wife was sweet enough to bring me lunch from home.  I don't wish to be disturbed until further notice.  I don't care if an earthquake happens and the roof caves in...got that?  Good."  He put the phone down then turned and smiled at Meher.  "See, everything's taken care of."  He grinned as he saw the pink tint creeping up her cheeks.  She was absolutely adorable when embarrassed. 

"Preet...," Meher said worriedly as he reached out and grasped her arm to pull her back to him, then cornered her against the desk.  His hand tugged the scarf loose from around her neck and let it fall to the floor.  His hand came back up and found its way into her long, soft tresses.  Then before she knew what was happening, he kissed her.  A long, slow, comforting kiss that made her head swim, and turned her insides to jelly.  Her hands crept up his chest twining around his neck, as his hands slowly skimmed up her body.  His touch was warm and brought an intense awareness everywhere he touched.  He leaned down over her taking his time to enjoy each soft sensual curve of her body. 

"Preet wait...!" she gasped as his hand slid under her shirt and caressed her back before settling on her waist, lifting her up and tighter to him.

"What is it?" whispered Preet.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" she asked nervously.  "I mean...you do remember what happened the last time we inaugurated something so spontaneously, right?" (*She's referring to her becoming pregnant with Gungun).

Preet wasn't listening.  His lips traced the edges of her jaw, then across her cheek, until they landed on their final destination...her lips.

Epilogue

6 years later...

A car pulled up to the Juneja Mansion.  Preet stepped out from the back and stretched his longs arms and legs out.  His business trip had been a busy but successful one.  It had been a long flight home, but he was definitely glad to be back.  Just then a boy and girl ages 5 and 7 rushed out to greet him, followed by 2 servants.

"Papa!  You made it back before my first day at school!" Krish cried happily as ran and jumped into his father's arms.

"Of course," laughed Preet.  He hugged the little boy, then put him down so he could hug Gungun.  "I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

"I know you were only gone for a week, but I really missed you a lot," said Gungun.

"I missed you too Papa!" said Krish. 

"I missed you guys too," Preet ruffled the little boy's hair.

"Mommy missed you too," Krish informed him.  "She was sleeping with your photo again."

"She was, was she?" grinned Preet.

Krish nodded.  "Papa, did you bring me my remote control car?" he asked hopefully.  "The kind that climbs walls?"  He held onto his father's hand as he and Gungun walked with him back towards the house.

"Well, how about if we ask Gopi to take my bags inside and we'll see if Krish's anti-gravity car is inside...and your talking doll too," said Preet.

"You remembered?" smiled Gungun.

"I sure did," said Preet.

The children ran ahead after the servants carrying the luggage inside.

"And did you bring back something for me?" asked Meher.

Preet looked up at the porch where Meher stood framed in the doorway.  After 10 years of marriage and 2 children, she was as beautiful as ever, and his heart did what it always did at the sight of her, rise up inside his chest until he felt as if he could float.  "Hello Cinderella," he smiled.

"Hello husband," she smiled back at him.

He mounted the steps slowly, his eyes never leaving her.  His arms opened wide, and she ran down the remaining steps into his warm embrace.  She put her head down against his chest, her body flush to his, like she belonged there.

"A year," sighed Meher.  "That's how long it seems since you left."

"I know," smiled Preet as he kissed her on the top of her forehead.  "I feel the exact same way.  Next time, I'm taking you and the kids with me."

"That sound like a wonderful idea," said Meher.

"Hey you know what, I did bring something for you," smiled Preet.  He reached inside his pocket and pulled out a small, square blue box.  She tried to take it from him but he pulled it back.  "Na-ha!  You have to guess what it is."

"Guess?" said Meher.

"Yup.  You get exactly 3 guesses, and then you'll have to pay a penalty."  Preet's eyes sparkled with mischief.

"What kind of penalty?" Meher asked with a raised brow.

"Oh...I don't know...jo bhi manzoor-e-pati hoga (whatever your husband desires)," said Preet.

"Hmm," thought Meher.  "Is it a rolling pin?"  She asked innocently as she took a step back.

"Guess again," Preet said with a faint smile, as he took a step towards her.

"Um...I know...a vacuum cleaner?" She took another step back.

"Wrong again," he said, his smile growing as he cornered her against a pillar.  He raised his hand and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, then leaned in to kiss her.

Meher's eyes suddenly grew wide.  "Oh my God!  Preet!  Bauji!" she hissed.

"Huhn?!  Where?" Preet quickly broke away from her and looked around.

"Ha-ha!" Meher pointed at his blood-drained face and laughed.  "Oldest trick in the book and you fell for it...hook line and sinker!"

"You think that's funny?" growled Preet.

"Darpok kahin ke (Scaredy cat)!" Meher laughed as she ran up to the door.

"Meher...tumhari khair nahin hai (you're going to pay for that)!" Preet warned her.

"Oh yeah?  Catch me if you can," She stuck her tongue out at him then ran inside.

Preet shook his head.  Life was good.  And it was even better to be home.  A chuckle escaped his lips as he ran after his Cinderella.  

So there you have it!

We finally have our happy ending to this FF.

I hope it was worth the wait.

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to read, hit the like button and leave feedback.

Sounds like a good-bye? πŸ˜³

Well...sort of.  With this final update, I'm going to announce my retirement.

I will visit the forum every now and then,

but life commitments will keep me less active and away from writing any further.

That is, until I get hit with inspiration again. πŸ˜†

I hope you all enjoyed reading  my stories as much as I enjoyed writing about my beloved Meet.

Take care and happy reading πŸ€—

Link to Table of Contents: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/136805557

Edited by Fatima_Q - 5 years ago
AASUS thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Fatima lob ya   

woohoo tax season well you do the best you can πŸ˜†πŸ€—
AASUS thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
hehe  just saw you have the sofa falling scene on for Meet πŸ˜† so cute πŸ˜†
giggles - dunno about romance - this cracks me up just to see them race around  

Chit15 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Fantastic updates
First sorry that I couldn't write feedbacks for last few updates
Preet winning reward for his hardwork and that too from from his father was good
Preet finally reconciling with his father and adorable Gungun was tha ice breaker was an awesome scene
And I m sad your beautiful writting comes to an end but every beautiful work comes to an end 
It was a beautiful master piece. Thank you  Fatima for wonderful Meet story and I hope to read more creations of your in future
Rhea_401 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
I can't believe this has ended. I am on a holiday and will leave a detailed feedback later.. But i saw your message pop up at the beach and decided to read...!!
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Originally posted by: AASUS

Fatima lob ya   

woohoo tax season well you do the best you can πŸ˜†πŸ€—

Yes...another year...another monkey off my back. πŸ€”

Thanks for dropping by Athi...πŸ€—
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Originally posted by: Chit15

Fantastic updates

First sorry that I couldn't write feedbacks for last few updates
Preet winning reward for his hardwork and that too from from his father was good
Preet finally reconciling with his father and adorable Gungun was tha ice breaker was an awesome scene
And I m sad your beautiful writting comes to an end but every beautiful work comes to an end 
It was a beautiful master piece. Thank you  Fatima for wonderful Meet story and I hope to read more creations of your in future

Thanks for reading and leaving me you feedback Chitra. πŸ€—

I really appreciate you sticking with the story till the end...I know there were some lengthy gaps in between...but yes...it has finally come to a happy end. πŸ˜›
Fatima_Q thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rhea_401

I can't believe this has ended. I am on a holiday and will leave a detailed feedback later.. But i saw your message pop up at the beach and decided to read...!!

Looking forward to your feedback Rhea πŸ˜›
Rhea_401 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Fatima_Q

Looking forward to your feedback RheaπŸ˜›

What do i say ??...This has been on for I suppose more than a year and people are still hooked... That itself is the biggest compliment...To add on - this has been sucha delghtful read..

The way you bring alive the characters in your stories is commendable..They are so real.. so relatable...

While the storytelling is so simple you manage to capture each and every emotion beautifully..

To be honest, I was dreading the completion of this fic because I knew you do not plan to write more. Don't blame you. But it's weird. These stories kept Meet alive in our hearts... I know there is lack of motivation but it hurts. I wish I could do something to make you write more and forever. All I can say is if you ever consider writing again.. just remember there is someone waiting to read your piece whenever you're ready..!