Interview of Aahana Kumra from pro kabaddi

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 7 years ago
Despite the fact that I am absolutely oblivious to the world of Kabaddi, to the women and men of it, I have zeroed in on watching tonight's match.
And I am not just going to watch today's match; I am going to glance through the highlights of the whole of the ongoing Pro Kabaddi League'16.
What caused this sudden change of heart, you ask? - The conversation I had this morning with Aahana Kumra, the host of Pro kabaddi 
Other than being one helluva down-to-earth and vivacious woman, Aahana is a theatre artist who also clones as a television and Bollywood actress. She was Big B's daughter in the TV soap Yudh', and Agent Trisha in the TV series Agent Raghav- Crime Branch'. Remember?
then how is it that she landed on the Kabaddi field holding a mic looking all bold and resplendent? I, with perplexed eyebrows, ventured to ask her. 
And she coolly replied, "It was unplanned, unexpected!"
Aahana: One of my friends who had anchored for Kabaddi League asked me to join as a co-host. Now, I had never done anchoring before and I didn't want to make a fool out of myself on national TV, so of course, I said no. And besides, I was scared of speaking about sports.
Me: Why is that?
Aahana: The awareness of sports amongst Indian women is quite less as compared to the women abroad.
Hmmm. Let me check. What do I know about sports? *Zones out* *Zones back in after barely a second* Okay right, the woman's got a point! A disappointing point. 
Me: Ahaan. So, what happened next?
Aahana: My friend kept insisting that I should give it a try. So this year for season 4 of Kabaddi Pro League, I actually decided to face my fear and give it a shot. Kya hoga yaar? Zyada se zyada I'll make a fool out of myself na? As actors we do that all the time - we convincingly make fools.
Me: How did you cope up with the lack of awareness then?
Aahana: Every anchor at Star Sports has to undergo a rigorous training and a series of workshops. After my first week at the training, I turned around and said Mujhse na ho payega yaar! I can't write scripts.'
I couldn't resist giggling a bit every now and then. Even though this was a telephonic conversation, I could totally feel the chirpy vibes and energy that were coming all the way from Hyderabad. 
Aahana: So, I almost left it. But then again, held on to it. And it turned out to be the most rewarding experience of my life. Spending 12-13 hours per day at the training, shoving truckloads of information about the game and about the players into my head, writing scripts on my own, then presenting the same gave me a whole lot of thrill.
 Me: You're not scared anymore then, are you?
Aahana: I am, still. But it is a good kind of scared. The bottom line is to keep it simple and to not make a huavva' in your head.
Me: Hmmm. Tell me about some of the best compliments you've received as an anchor.
Aahana: Ah! I'll tell you the best of the best when the league ends.
Me: Okay. Fair point well made. Share some incident - funny or not funny?
Aahana: I fell hideously sick in Jaipur. So much so, that I could not present one of the matches that I was supposed to. I was very upset about it! To make sure I got back up to present the match the following day, I popped in 5 of combiflams, and Voila! I anchored the next game.
Me: *Tsk tsk* I'm sorry to know that our Jaipur didn't treat you well.
Aahana: Na, na! The Marriott people treated me like I was their own child. I actually caught the viral from Mumbai. In fact, it was that next day when I received a lot of compliments for having managed to anchor even at 102 C.
Aahana: My dad was all like You looked so confident up there! You presented so well.' Given my lack of awareness, he never imagined I'd do something relating to sports. So, his compliment was special to me!
Me: Now that you are aware, and you've witnessed Kabaddi from such proximity, what do you have to say about it?
Aahana: I was terrified when I saw it for the first time! This sport requires a helluva physical effort yaar! The players put in an exceptional amount of hard work. I have so much respect for them ever since I've watched them play!
Me: Erm, I am totally out of depth here. Never seen, never played the game.
Aahana: Arrey we come from the same place in that sense. But I insist you watch the game tonight.
Me: Sure thing! So tell me something? Even in the field of sports, how important is the glam factor?
Aahana: The glam factor is equally important when you're on TV. As anchors, we hardly get time for hair and makeup because we're always rushing to write our scripts, but we do have our outfits laid out by the stylists.
 Me: If you manage to look this stunning after hasty dressing, I can only wonder how you'll appear after a dedicated session of dolling up! Anyhoo, tell me about your idols and the way they inspire you.
Aahana: I worship Amitabh Bachchan and Naseeruddin Shah. Look at their illustrious passion towards their work! They've been working all their lives and even in their sixties, they're constantly reinventing themselves.
 She spoke with such sincerity and fondness, it seemed that her heart had leaped into her speech. 
Me: I'd stalked your Instagram and I noticed that 70 % of it was loaded with 2 major things. One - your family, and the other - wait, I'll get to that! Tell me about your family. Midst your hectic schedule, how do you find time to be at home almost all the time?
Does she have a clone or what!?
 Aahana: I'm not with my family when I'm travelling for work, of course. But, the days that I have off, I prefer to stay home and spend time with my folks. Even if I have to hang out with my friends, I ask them to come home so that I can spend time with friends and family alike. I've inherently always been like that.
Me: Oh, oh! I also saw one of your posts which revealed that your mum is a Deputy Superintendent of Police. You must have grown up as one fearless kid, hain na?
 Aahana: Absolutely! There was this one time I beat the crap out of a guy and got him arrested because he touched me inappropriately. I wasn't scared! I was like even if I were the one put behind the bars, mommy would be there for me!
And here I could sense the playful smugness in her voice. Oh! And did I mention she was speaking between mouthfuls of paranthas? At that, I only hoped for her to not hear the dying whale sounds that my tummy was making. *Facepalm*
Me: There are certainly perks to having a police mommy!
Aahana: What was the second thing on my Insta that caught your eye?
Me: Oh yes! All of us at JWB have a soft corner for felines! We love the pictures you've posted with your cat Mushu. Is this where you've been learning the Agent Trisha-giri from?
Aahana: Hahahaha! How much Mushu has helped me with performing Agent Trisha, I do not know. But what he has taught me is to sleep and to show attitude. That's all that the felines do.
Me: I couldn't agree with you more on that! Let's do some quick questions now. The first word that comes to your mind when I say...
BFF: My Sister
Solo Trip: Vagabond! That's what I am.
Favorite destination: France
Favorite play: Ismat aapa ke naam - I could watch it over and over again and not be tired!
Pick one - Rajma Chawal or Salads? 
Aahana: Rajma Chawal all the way, sweety! It is the mandatory Sunday food.
Saree or Pyjamas?
Aahana: Pyjamas, any day. But I also love Sarees. I think Saree is the most beautiful outfit that a girl can adorn.
Beauty products you swear by?
Aahana: Avocado under-eye gel, Nivea, Body Shop's cherry blossom moisturizer, and Sunscreen! I don't step out without sunscreen. Sorry, I named one extra.
Me: The more the merrier! So, what is the next big thing in your career?
Now, this is quite a pet question of mine that I go around asking everyone I meet. But, the way Aahana responded will stay in my mind for quite some time. 
"Whatever comes!" she replied coolly and casually.
"Everything that comes to me comes without me knowing it. That's the best part, and that's the way I enjoy doing things. I don't rush into them."

TFS uma... It's really awsm interview... Love you my Beauty Queen Aahana... She s such a cute girl...
Awesome interview, she is really a lively and down to earth person...TFS Uma...😊