Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Justmoi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: anonymous39

Nawaabs were abolished by India in the 1970s. The last nawaab of Pataudi was Saif's dad and he lost his title. Saif is NOT a nawab and none of his children will be either.

People just refer to Saif as a nawaab out of nostalgia, not anything real.

Not disputing your knowledge of nawabs, I have no clue but but I distinctly remember seeing Saif being "crowned" or whatever the name of that ceremony is the Nawab of Pataudi and reading about it. He was wearing a Pagdi.

I am on my phone and can't post links, sorry.
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Anon39: Uhh yes I am extremely well aware, thanks, but even today in Pataudi, out of nostalgia & as a mark of respect for old times, the new Nawaab "takes over" from the old one & is "crowned" with a turban as a mark of nostalgic respect & love. Or in any other royal family across the world, it is not exclusive to the Pataudi/Indian royal families, they do not enjoy any power (barring the Al Sauds who are the Saudi Arabian royal family & rule S Arabia with as much absolute power as One can in the modern era) , but they do proudly like to uphold their traditions.

So yes, Saif was "crowned" in such a way & till today in India or even abroad, is & will be referred to as Nawaab of Pataudi, any king/Maharaja/Nawaab/Begum are always referred to in this fashion. They do not have power but along with the (hollow) title does come a lot of status, respect & honour.. Or so they feel.

Ibrahim is first born so will succeed to the title of Nawaab Of Pataudi & will unfortunately, be addressed so, for the rest of his life.

Moi: You're right. He was.Edited by Mallika-E-Bhais - 7 years ago
angrybread thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Well Amrita lashing out is only a natural reaction from ex-wife .
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Stupid and disgusting media...what else did they expect from an ex wife...whose divorce was not exactly pleasant...just trying to get a reaction from Amrita so that they can make a headline out of it...🤢
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Mallika-E-Bhais

Anon39: Uhh yes I am extremely well aware, thanks, but even today in Pataudi, out of nostalgia & as a mark of respect for old times, the new Nawaab "takes over" from the old one & is "crowned" with a turban as a mark of nostalgic respect & love. Or in any other royal family across the world, it is not exclusive to the Pataudi/Indian royal families, they do not enjoy any power (barring the Al Sauds who are the Saudi Arabian royal family & rule S Arabia with as much absolute power as One can in the modern era) , but they do proudly like to uphold their traditions.

So yes, Saif was "crowned" in such a way & till today in India or even abroad, is & will be referred to as Nawaab of Pataudi, any king/Maharaja/Nawaab/Begum are always referred to in this fashion. They do not have power but along with the (hollow) title does come a lot of status, respect & honour.. Or so they feel.

Ibrahim is first born so will succeed to the title of Nawaab Of Pataudi & will unfortunately, be addressed so, for the rest of his life.

Moi: You're right. He was.

"Ibrahim is first born so will succeed to the title of Nawaab Of Pataudi & will unfortunately, be addressed so, for the rest of his life."

Why do you say unfortunately? Most people wouldn't refuse the title(however hollow it might be), the honor, not to mention all the opulence, wealth that comes with it

Bold - It's not true that no other royal family in the world other than Saudi has any power... 
There are few other absolute monarchies like Brunei, Oman etc and many constitutional monarchies too particularly in the Middle East like Jordan for eg. where the King has executive and legislative powers (I ammentioning Jordan bcz it's supposed to be a modern country and the monarchy is very  westernized). He is the Head of state, Commander in Chief and the power to appoint the Prime minister 

And the European royal titles are official, ( although no powers) royalty has not been abolished there

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: blue-ice

Stupid and disgusting media...what else did they expect from an ex wife...whose divorce was not exactly pleasant...just trying to get a reaction from Amrita so that they can make a headline out of it...🤢

I think the media asking her about it was fine... Amrita's response was fine too..

But the title of the article 'Amrtia lashes out on Kareena's pregnancy' is not cool, distasteful even...
[quote]Anon39: Uhh yes I am extremely well aware, thanks, but even today in Pataudi, out of nostalgia & as a mark of respect for old times, the new Nawaab "takes over" from the old one & is "crowned" with a turban as a mark of nostalgic respect & love. Or in any other royal family across the world, it is not exclusive to the Pataudi/Indian royal families, they do not enjoy any power (barring the Al Sauds who are the Saudi Arabian royal family & rule S Arabia with as much absolute power as One can in the modern era) , but they do proudly like to uphold their traditions. [/quote]
Most of the known royal families do have symbolic power and they are acknowledged by the government even though they do not have political power. For example, the British prime minister will first visit the Queen when he is newly elected. The Royal family gets huge payments from taxes to run their palaces and lifestyle. 

It's not like that in India. Saif gets no money from the government. He doesn't even own most of the Pataudi palace. It was sold and turned into a hotel because the old royal families no longer have much money. The government doesn't acknowledge them. In Saif's case, the village had a lot of respect for his father so they liked the idea of having a ceremony for him after his father's death. I don't see that continuing forward for his children and even if it does, it has no value so it doesn't matter which kid gets it.
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I'm not sure, but I think most the Pataudi properties and the one put in charge of the them were put under Saba's name, as Saif declined, and everyone felt Saba was rightfully more suited. 
^Yes, the waqf properties, mostly mosques and religious properties, were put under Saba's control.  
From what I understand, they don't own those properties but they are the guardians and work to maintain them and so on. I think Saba is the most religious one and most able to care for them so she's the one that took over.
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Saif himself dismisses the whole Nawab thing and has said numerous times that the last nawab of Pataudi was his father. He identifies with being an actor. But he does love the charity work his father started, and is working at maintaining those charities, especially the eye hospital his father made.