Shekhar Suman & Alka: Adhyayan wanted closure in the Kangana case

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 7 years ago

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Shekhar-Suman-and-Alka-Adhyayan-wanted-closure-in-the-Kangana-case/articleshow/52090700.cms

Shekhar Suman and Alka: Adhyayan wanted closure in the Kangana case

Meena Iyer | TNN | May 4, 2016, 01.00 AM IST
Shekhar Suman and Alka: Adhyayan wanted closure in the Kangana case
Adhyayan Suman, who recently spoke of his past relationship with Kangana Ranaut, got his share of flak for his frank speak. Upset with the young actor's insensitivity towards his ex-girlfriend, some people took to social media to attack him. In defence of their son's action, Adhyayan's parents " Shekhar and Alka Suman "chose to put things in perspective. Excerpts from our conversation with both of them...

Why did Adhyayan get himself embroiled in the Hrithik Roshan-Kangana controversy? Why did he feel the need to speak up at this hour?

Shekhar:   Frankly, Adhyayan had no desire to talk about this. His relationship with Kangana ended six years ago. If he really wanted to, he could have spoken up earlier; but he didn't. Last week, when a journalist asked him to speak, he relented. He wanted closure and somehow this controversy acted as a catalyst.
Everyone looks for closure, that's why some celebs choose to write autobiographies late into their lives while others make films. Very few people take their secrets to their grave.

Have you been following the Hrithik-Kangana case?

Shekhar: I need a lawyer to know what is going on. I swear, I do, as I am really confused. I nearly picked up the phone to call a lawyer friend and understand it. I am a well-read, erudite person but I have not been able to follow this case. What is happening here is sordid. It is a reflection of how things are today, how people make commitments and back out. Then, dirty linen is washed in public. The worst part is that everyone forms an opinion because it is the day of social media.

Many view your son's action as an act of courting publicity. Is that what Adhyayan is after?

Alka:       Why would my son go looking for this kind of negative publicity? After seeing what was going on in the media every day, Adhyayan remarked that he was sorry for what Hrithik was going through. Adhyayan had a traumatic relationship with Kangana and he felt the need to speak up . He was not looking to gain anything from it. As his parents, we were witness to our son's tumultuous relationship with her. He is our only child and we know what he went through during that period. His only interest was closure to a chapter in his life that he doesn't wish to revisit.

Shekhar:        He is hardly going to land a film with James Cameron because he spoke about his affair with Kangana. Seriously, why do people view everything as 'it's being done for publicity?' I guess people are harsh on him because he is not successful today. When Deepika Padukone comes out and speaks of her depression, it is not viewed as she is 'doing it for publicity.' She is a hugely successful star and so her action doesn't seem to have any ulterior motive. But when our son speaks, his action comes with a tag. Really? Adhyayan may not be 'somebody' today, but you must grant the fact that he is a normal guy. If he was hurt, he has a right to speak about it. This right to speak is not reserved only for superstars and National Award-winning actors. Please note, our son did not call the media and said, 'I want to talk about Kangana.' He only did so, when a journalist came and asked him to.

Why did he choose to speak up at a time when the Hrithik-Kangana controversy is storming?

Shekhar:                It was not his idea. It was someone else's. It took one day of persuasion to get him to agree to the interview. He even asked me whether he should do it. I told him, 'You will have to do it one day. So, do it now.' He empathised with Hrithik because he had been through a horrifying situation himself. He wasn't looking for any sensationalism. If you know Adhyayan, you will realise he isn't that kind of a person.

But this really didn't seem like the right time and place for your son to come clean...

Shekhar:             Actually, Adhyayan was dragged into this controversy by some television channels. They were showing Kangana as Miss Goody-two shoes and making it seem like Adhyayan used her. So it was the right time for him to come clean. Yes, Adhyayan left Kangana, but he had a good enough reason for doing that.

Alka:            In the initial part of his relationship, Adhyayan didn't even care about us. He was so committed to Kangana that he withstood all her tantrums. Believe me, as a mother it was terrible for me to watch him go through that phase. However, there was nothing I could do. I lost one child years ago, and one day I told Shekhar that I don't wish to lose another son. I begged him to get Adhyayan out of that relationship because it wasn't a happy one.

So, you think his interview was fully justified?

Shekhar:        It was his way of laying his past demons to rest. In fact, the interview was disturbing for us as well.

Alka:                Our son may be less successful and the person he was involved with is a National Award-winning actress, but the hurt he felt or feels is not less than anybody else.

Shekhar:          'Who is Adhyayan?' This question that people are asking is so humiliating. It is so wrong. All of us start with being nobodies and then many of us end up becoming somebody. That doesn't mean you can run down my son. Only sceptical and insensitive people ask such ridiculous questions. I have repeatedly said that he didn't jump at any opportunity. Please do not hang him for a crime that is not his. In his defense, I would say he had carried his emotional baggage far too long and he wanted to offload it once and for all. Also, the image being presented of a certain girl in a certain way is wrong. He wanted the world to know that.

Alka:             You have to view things in perspective. You cannot give her extra brownie points because she is a girl. When it comes to a man, you penalise him and make mincemeat of him if he is wrong. However, if a girl is wrong, she always has to be given the benefit of doubt. Why? Can't a woman be wrong? This is not a gender war. What has gender got to do with certain things?

Shekhar:              Forget about all these star wars or who the bigger entity here is. You do not need to be two big stars to be fighting and venting your anger. As parents, we stand by our son. He was in trouble. He was being verbally and physically abused and he was going astray. It was so embarrassing when we were at a film's premiere and Aditya Pancholi walked up to him and said, 'Welcome to the circus, my friend. I hope you are enjoying it.'

Edited by -Vaishvi- - 7 years ago
Posted: 7 years ago
So all this while (6 years) none of the journalists approached this ladla of bollywood royalty to open up about his traumatic relationship with KR... OR...until now he didn't find a perfectly opportune moment to 'open up' and 'get a closure'. 
I do hope he and his family got their well deserved closure now.
Edited by NathuPyare - 7 years ago