Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: Shivam...

She is also popularly know as vatsala

This story doesn't really show Balaram in a good light though. I don't think he'd ever have been so cruel to his own sister.

Maybe Vatsala/Sesirekha did exist, but the actual story might be different from the folk story.

After all, Veda Vyasa does not right about Devika either, who was Yudhisthir's second wife.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Working on a small OS right now about Sita's love for Lakshmana, based on the siggy I posted on Pg. 121. ;)
Melkor thumbnail

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

It's a folk story, Shivam, and mainly popular in the South. You can watch "Mayabazaar" the telugu movie to see this story onscreen. We don't know if Sesirekha existed or not, as Veda Vyasa only mentions Uttara as Abhimanyu's wife, but it's possible she existed since the folk story says Abhimanyu married her during the Pandavas' vanvaas. She would've been his first wife then.

However, if Abhimanyu truly was a young boy when he was killed, and not in his 30s like some sources claim, then he'd have been a child at the time of his marriage to Sesirekha, thereby not making much sense.

Akka,even I had seen an animated movie Ghatotkach which revolved around Abhimanyu's marriage to Shashirekha.And the Amar Chitra Katha comic on Ghatotkach also tells this story.Only difference was that Shashirekha's name was changed to Vatsala.
And as much as I know about Abhimanyu and Uttara,then both of them were in their teens when they got married.Probably 16 or something.

In my opinion,this is very much a folktale.Because if Shashirekha existed,then why doesn't any account mention her later on?Where was she after Abhimanyu's death??

But what I am unable to understand is that in this story,Balaram goes back on his word and decides to get his daughter married to Dury's son.Why would Balaram ever object his daughter's marriage to Abhimanyu at the first place??Even if he was very fond of Dury,still Subhadra was his sister.
Shivam... thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
What I never fully understood in abhimanyu story was  why he didn know how to exit the loop

I get it that subhadra slept while arjun was explaing the exit part , but surely he would have guided his son later when he grew up , maybe it was beacuse he didnt get any time due to vanvaas
Melkor thumbnail

What I never fully understood in abhimanyu story was  why he didn know how to exit the loop

I get it that subhadra slept while arjun was explaing the exit part , but surely he would have guided his son later when he grew up , maybe it was beacuse he didnt get any time due to vanvaas

This has never made any sense to me either.Even if Arjun wasn't there,Krishna was there.And Krishna knew about the Chakravyuh too.Krishna could have taught him or Balaram could coz he grew up at Dwarka
Shivam... thumbnail

Originally posted by: Astoria

Akka,even I had seen an animated movie Ghatotkach which revolved around Abhimanyu's marriage to Shashirekha.And the Amar Chitra Katha comic on Ghatotkach also tells this story.Only difference was that Shashirekha's name was changed to Vatsala.

And as much as I know about Abhimanyu and Uttara,then both of them were in their teens when they got married.Probably 16 or something.

In my opinion,this is very much a folktale.Because if Shashirekha existed,then why doesn't any account mention her later on?Where was she after Abhimanyu's death??

But what I am unable to understand is that in this story,Balaram goes back on his word and decides to get his daughter married to Dury's son.Why would Balaram ever object his daughter's marriage to Abhimanyu at the first place??Even if he was very fond of Dury,still Subhadra was his sister.

Beacuse Balram is portrayed in a very bad light there , its shown that as pandavas were in vanvaas , his daughter would not  get any sansaarik sukh i.e all the worldly pleasures
Edited by Shivam... - 8 years ago
Melkor thumbnail

Beacuse Balram is portrayed in a very bad light there , its shown that as pandavas were in vanvaas , his daughter would not  get any sansaarik sukh i.e all the worldly pleasures

Sigh!! Sab log mujhe villain kyun banana chahte hain??😆
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: Astoria

This has never made any sense to me either.Even if Arjun wasn't there,Krishna was there.And Krishna knew about the Chakravyuh too.Krishna could have taught him or Balaram could coz he grew up at Dwarka

Krishna did not want Abhimanyu to learn how to exit the Chakravyuha, because he had to die in the war.

When Arjuna was telling a pregnant Subhadra how to enter the Chakravyuha, Krishna interrupted them before Arjuna could tell her how to exit it, because he did not want Abhimanyu to have that knowledge, and of course later on, he never told him about it either. 

Abhimanyu had to die, because Jayadratha had to die, and also the sins of the Kauravas had to be abundant enough for them to die in unrighteous ways, so Krishna orchestrated the entire Mahabharat in a way that those who died were destined to die due to some reason.

It's painful for us, but it had to happen.
Shivam... thumbnail

Krishna did not want Abhimanyu to learn how to exit the Chakravyuha, because he had to die in the war.

When Arjuna was telling a pregnant Subhadra how to enter the Chakravyuha, Krishna interrupted them before Arjuna could tell her how to exit it, because he did not want Abhimanyu to have that knowledge, and of course later on, he never told him about it either. 

Abhimanyu had to die, because Jayadratha had to die, and also the sins of the Kauravas had to be abundant enough for them to die in unrighteous ways, so Krishna orchestrated the entire Mahabharat in a way that those who died were destined to die due to some reason.

VISHNU LEELA

No one can escape it , not even shiva

Melkor thumbnail

Now this is news to me.And this is painful indeed.
But in a way,I am not surprised.Because if the Mahabharata is a play,then Krishna is the director.If the characters are puppets then He is the puppeteer
It makes the Mahabharata all the more complicated and adds a new dimension to Krishna's character.Even after knowing this,I don't  think bad about Krishna because I know that everything happens for a purpose and sometimes the process is very painful.