Users

Frequent Posters

BertieWooster thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Hello Shruthi,

Good to see you here...!

Look forward to your takes.

Liking the way this show seems to be fleshing out characters earlier sidelined or rendered unidimensional..! Today's was the first episode I watched in its entirety...will surely continue watching!
Edited by BertieWooster - 8 years ago
prav2 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
HHappyLori,Makar sankranti ,Pongal and Bihu wishes to all forum friends..

@shruti ...Beautiful and thought provoking post..

You brought out the essence of the episode very beautifully...
Raavan is considered to be very knowledgeable ..yet did he have wisdom? All his knowledge doesn't lead him to the path of wisdom..so the knowledge in itself become superficial...

Like yesterday mandodari pointed out that just giving the position and status doesn't mean you truly respect them ...

Loved ur lines on the take of bakthi.. Yes raavan is known for his shiv bakthi...

This is just my thoughts...What is purpose of bakti..we would say its for liberalization of the soul ..yet mostly when we pray we pray for continuing the attachment as mostly we have the fear of loosing...this has bogged me from earlier days..one questions I knew the answer yet is hard to practice as the fear of loosing prevails over..

Raavan too has bakthi but the bakthi itself is aan attachment to shiv not the concept of shiv or what shiv represents as you beautifully put...

We have seen this cases in many asuras where they do severe penance and try to attain the supreme being..yet when the supreme being itself comes before them they just want the wealth and power and not himself...and selfrealization eludes them even after all the rigidity they went through in the end making it fruitless..

In contrast we can see Arjuna ,draupadi who want just the supreme being not any power or wealth and we see they get gyaan to self realize themselves and ways to lose their fear and attain liberalization...

In it essence we mostly get what we aspire and  we become that...

Kavila thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
๐Ÿ‘shruti there is notng left to say about ur posts ur post are always of some other world ...word will fall short to describe..
Coming back to episode what a beautiful yet powerful episode...

So Mandodari ahaaa the most neglected character ever----she was trully a devine lady but alash Raavan never value her...and hence...that become one of the reason for his destruction..
on second note---Raavana was so called scholar ,,he has abonded of wisdom...but what the use of such wisdom when u dont know how to value it...

And being a ardhent disciple of lord shiva...he always used to humilate shakti in various ways...without thinking of his bhakti for once...

Overall Raavana is the example of those...who are responsible for his own destruction..no maater what how much scholar u are..no maater what how much powerful u are...the fACt thats maater is ...to be a selfless man a pure hearted man and on the top to be a real Human...
and that Raavana never able to understad the small thing..

its always said that A wisdom is a boon if u know the art to value it but at same time...it become a curse..when people start to devalue it ...and hence that persons destruction is for sure...

Raavana bhakti towards lord shiva was just a mask to hide his all wrong deeds which somewhere in heart Raavana too know..but what ...makes him ...not to follow his heart was...his make chavism and pride ...which totally destroy raavana to the core...๐Ÿ˜Š

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@Fieryheart and others who have raised questions on Ravan being grey not black in addition to what Ramki Janaki have put I would like to put forth some more points.
One is the story of Vedavati who Ravan tried to forcefully take. This woman was praying and doing penance to get Vishnu as her husband. This lady self immolates herself after Ravan's attempt to insult her telling she will be reborn and will be the cause of his death. Some versions call Vedavati reborn as Sita. Some versions tell her as Maya Sita who occupied Sita's place in Asoka van. But the story of Vedavati and what happened to her is deeply linked with Ravan's downfall. You can read the story here
Now why Ravan didn't forcefully take Sita. It is said that Sita didn't gave any value to his wealth and power. She devalued his knowledge and Shiv Bhakthi telling a knowledgable person and a bhakth doesn't behave like this with a woman. She sharply insulted him in every turn telling again and again her husband and her devar will come for her. They will defeat him. She called him a coward. Taking a woman when the men in her family were not there. She told very firmly she will die if he tries to take her by force. Sita's sharp words, her insults of her power and wealth made Ravan give her 1 year to prove her point. Because Ravan's ego wanted to prove Sita wrong. She heaped that much insult on to him. The scenes of Ramayana post Sita Apaharan, Ravan's boastfulness and Sita's insults to him are a treat to watch. The steadfastness of Sita slowly brings fears even to Lankawasis and once Hanuman comes and goes Lanka is literally terrified.

The real Bhakthi is in the understanding of the fact that wealth and power are transitory, only true knowledge remains with you always. It is your choice what do you want. And in MB Krishna places this choice very beautifully with Arjun. And that choice is for whole humanity. At cross roads what do we choose. God or his powers.  
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Bertie nice to see you here. Will love to see your posts. Anyways ETR2 is mostly done and dusted for me

@SP, prav chastity is not something physical, it is much more than that. At emotional level it is unconditional love towards one's spouse. To remain steadfast in the loyalty towards spouse even in adverse circumstances. Not to be swayed even for a second by other considerations. Having your spouse only in thoughts. Chastity born out of love and true love is always protective. And it need not be woman centric. A man can also be chaste if he wants ๐Ÿ˜ƒ, though this aspect is mostly given to women.

CutiepieAD thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Loved your post Shruti...
Mandodari is such a strong character, pure and chaste...
She was a true pati vrata and she also couldn't see her husband's wrongdoings inviting his own vinash..
As far as shiv Bhakti is concerned I think Ravan was a true shiv Bhakt but his arrogance destroyed it all...
Sad that he couldn't follow shiv ji, if he could have imbibed just an inch of mahadev's qualities he wouldn't have been seen  the way he is seen now...
sp108 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

@Bertie nice to see you here. Will love to see your posts. Anyways ETR2 is mostly done and dusted for me

@SP, prav chastity is not something physical, it is much more than that. At emotional level it is unconditional love towards one's spouse. To remain steadfast in the loyalty towards spouse even in adverse circumstances. Not to be swayed even for a second by other considerations. Having your spouse only in thoughts. Chastity born out of love and true love is always protective. And it need not be woman centric. A man can also be chaste if he wants ๐Ÿ˜ƒ, though this aspect is mostly given to women.

Very true...and I agree with you completely on that especially that chastity is not something physical. The significance of Raksha bandhan is that the chastity of the brother which protects the sister. It is not just about chastity of women but the men too.
Cool_wonder thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Veritaserum

Ravana was an out and out black character in Valmiki Ramayan. There's more in this thread..

That said, I wouldn't mind them imparting grey shades to the character. It's already been done in DKDM๐Ÿ˜Š

Well I would just like to say one thing here... I said the same thing to my mom Once... That Ravana though bad never touched Sita without her wish or forced himself on her...my mom just said one thing

"U know why is that...because Sita had made a rekha with a string of grass n warned Ravan that her satitva power was vested in that string.. If Ravan ever crossed it he would have got burned...he came to persuade her every day but she never budged to his terror...also he was cursed by a woman that if he ever tried to get a woman without her consent he would die"

This is the reason why Ravan never touched Sita without her consent...but he tourchered her every day by persuading her from a distance๐Ÿ˜Š
Suganya.S thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: prav2

HHappyLori,Makar sankranti ,Pongal and Bihu wishes to all forum friends..

@shruti ...Beautiful and thought provoking post..

You brought out the essence of the episode very beautifully...
Raavan is considered to be very knowledgeable ..yet did he have wisdom? All his knowledge doesn't lead him to the path of wisdom..so the knowledge in itself become superficial...

Like yesterday mandodari pointed out that just giving the position and status doesn't mean you truly respect them ...

Loved ur lines on the take of bakthi.. Yes raavan is known for his shiv bakthi...

This is just my thoughts...What is purpose of bakti..we would say its for liberalization of the soul ..yet mostly when we pray we pray for continuing the attachment as mostly we have the fear of loosing...this has bogged me from earlier days..one questions I knew the answer yet is hard to practice as the fear of loosing prevails over..

Raavan too has bakthi but the bakthi itself is aan attachment to shiv not the concept of shiv or what shiv represents as you beautifully put...

We have seen this cases in many asuras where they do severe penance and try to attain the supreme being..yet when the supreme being itself comes before them they just want the wealth and power and not himself...and selfrealization eludes them even after all the rigidity they went through in the end making it fruitless..

In contrast we can see Arjuna ,draupadi who want just the supreme being not any power or wealth and we see they get gyaan to self realize themselves and ways to lose their fear and attain liberalization...

In it essence we mostly get what we aspire and  we become that...

Nice to see u here ๐Ÿ˜Š Again a awesome post by you ๐Ÿ‘

@shruthi : Everytime you take some topic that is completely ignored before , yet give a good msg through it when analysed in different perspective ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

And i was equally surprised to know Mandodari was one of Paanchkanya considered in hinduism . I know sita , draupadi , ahilya was among them but never heard of Mandodari being mentioned !!
Would like to know , who r the others and why only 5 and not many in that count ?? Also i have never known the back story of Raavan and his wives , y only mandodari considered in all , is it bcz she was chief consort or some other reason ?? And curses he recieved from those who were affected by him !!! 
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Suganya the 5th Panchkanya is Tara Bali's wife. I am actually waiting to see her. She is intelligent, witty and diplomatic to the core.
If you see Panchkanya you can see all these women were subjected to extreme adversities yet they remained steadfast in their loyalties towards the spouse.

Sita had the choice to choose Raavan a powerful king and take the pleasure of wealth and power than be with Ram who had a hard path and suffer. Sita was still steadfast to be with Ram.

Panchali already had 5 husbands and she was solicited multiple times by men like Jayadrath and Keechak asking her what she will lose having a 6th one. But again Panchali was steadfast in her dharma and even in adverse circumstances her husbands went through she walked with them and them only.

Ahalya was duped by Indra. She took the curse, suffered it and once liberated had never kept any ill feelings towards her husband. She understood his dilemma and irrespective of the curse deeply respected and loved him

Tara was Bali's wife. After Bali's death Tara instead of being revengeful supports Sugreeva and ensures her son Angad is send for the fight with Raavan without any ill feeling towards Sugreeva or Rama. She understands why her husband was slain. Though she loves her husband, that doesn't prevent her from doing the dharma post his death

Mandodari a woman born in Asura Kul. If you look women in that kul as I understand they had the option of keeping multiple spouses the way Soorphanaka tries to woo Ram. So irrespective of having that freedom Mandodari was steadfast in her devotion to her husband. Even in the adverse circumstances she didn't lose her devotion to him.

A woman's chastity comes to fore not when they don't have the circumstances, it is tested when under dire circumstances how they behave. All the 5 women never wavered from dharma even during the adversities that came to them. They had oppourtunity to waver from dharma. But they held on to dharma. That is their speciality and that is why they are revered. That is my POV.