Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

appukrish thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Shruti, as usual a wonderful post.
But I'm wondering if this is how Ravana was portrayed in the original and other versions of the Ramayana? You or anyone here could clarify this?
I had said this before that this show is  bringing to light all the women in the ramayan and highlighting their story, delving into their minds and their thought process etc.. 
Which is all fine if it is not at the expense of showing the men bad.

MrsAkyurek thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: FieryHeart

I am yet to watch the episode Shruthi but I will shortly. But I am astonished to see this. Raavan might have had 100 flaws in him, but there is no denying there were certain good things about him. He never took a woman without her consent. He abducted Sita but he did not force himself on her. Since this is a TV adaptation I am sure they will make Ravan look more evil than he actually was. I had actually liked this show and was hoping they would show Ravan as a grey character. I guess I cant expect much from a channel that screwed Mahabharata.

Ravana was an out and out black character in Valmiki Ramayan. There's more in this thread..

That said, I wouldn't mind them imparting grey shades to the character. It's already been done in DKDM😊

Edited by .Veritaserum - 8 years ago
MrsAkyurek thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Shruti, it's a pleasure to read your posts! 
ayushimehra thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Nice post,
Not watched episode, But post very nice.😊
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: FieryHeart

I am yet to watch the episode Shruthi but I will shortly. But I am astonished to see this. Raavan might have had 100 flaws in him, but there is no denying there were certain good things about him. He never took a woman without her consent. He abducted Sita but he did not force himself on her. Since this is a TV adaptation I am sure they will make Ravan look more evil than he actually was. I had actually liked this show and was hoping they would show Ravan as a grey character. I guess I cant expect much from a channel that screwed Mahabharata.

This is totally not true. Ravan had many curses from various people, and one of them was from the women of Lanka themselves. Besides Mandodari, whom he married with her father's consent, most of Ravan's wives and concubines were abducted ladies whom he brought to Lanka after killing their fathers, brothers and/or husbands. All these women cursed Ravan that the reason for his destruction would be a  woman, since he considered her so inferior. 

Also, Ravan raped Rambha, Nalkubera's wife, who was his daughter-in-law in relation, just because she did not consent to marry him. Nalkubera cursed him that if he ever forced himself on a woman again, he would die. This is the only reason Ravan did not force himself on Sita, because he feared for his life. Not because he respected women. 

Ravan had no respect for women, and he treated women heinously. He committed many crimes against women, which is why God himself had to incarnate to kill him.
BeyondHorizon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

This is totally not true. Ravan had many curses from various people, and one of them was from the women of Lanka themselves. Besides Mandodari, whom he married with her father's consent, most of Ravan's wives and concubines were abducted ladies whom he brought to Lanka after killing their fathers, brothers and/or husbands. All these women cursed Ravan that the reason for his destruction would be a woman, since he considered her so inferior.

Also, Ravan raped Rambha, Nalkubera's wife, who was his daughter-in-law in relation, just because she did not consent to marry him. Nalkubera cursed him that if he ever forced himself on a woman again, he would die. This is the only reason Ravan did not force himself on Sita, because he feared for his life. Not because he respected women.

Ravan had no respect for women, and he treated women heinously. He committed many crimes against women, which is why God himself had to incarnate to kill him.

Oh I didn know abt this at all. Thanks for sharing it. Maybe the interpretation I had read had portrayed him in a different manner.
iDea-yeS-viruS thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
^80% of Ramayana believed in present is folklores." Raavan respected woman "," Ahalya was pure","Ram vs Luv Kush","Sita asked for second Agni Pariksha (in fact there is no Agnipariksha at first time itself)","Ram's immoral act at Vali Vadh" are not existed in Ramayana
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

This is totally not true. Ravan had many curses from various people, and one of them was from the women of Lanka themselves. Besides Mandodari, whom he married with her father's consent, most of Ravan's wives and concubines were abducted ladies whom he brought to Lanka after killing their fathers, brothers and/or husbands. All these women cursed Ravan that the reason for his destruction would be a  woman, since he considered her so inferior. 

Thank you!!!
chicksoup thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Wonderful post highlighting the power of chastity, Shruti.'👏👏

And indeed, Mandodari must have known too that her acts were not going to save Ravan from final doom...his misdeeds were far too many to be washed away with her prayers.

In a different context, it reminded me of Vatmiki's early life as Ratnakar.

How he had reallised that no one would be able to share the burden of his sins..not even the wife and child for whom he committed the deeds...

...That man had been an illiterate, simple robber...but he had the wisdom to embrace the light when he saw it.

...So then, how commendable is Ravan's adoration...I feel what he felt for Mahadev was pure adoration...(in fact, I'd consider Indra's act with Ahalya even more heinous than any of the abductions by Ravan)...but he failed to put into practice what that worship should have taught him...and therefore his knowledge and religion failed him...or rather, he failed himself.
sp108 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Lovely post Shruthi.
Glad that you brought about the topic of chastity as a protective force.