Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat

Ashoka: A fanfic: Chapter 20: The Interlude (Page 46) - Page 2

vidhu22 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
nice OS babur u've written everything wid out compromising wid any of the characters basic qualities reading ur OS i wish AC has left sum letter fr RG to make him do some action

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

babur1527 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: vidhu22

nice OS babur u've written everything wid out compromising wid any of the characters basic qualities reading ur OS i wish AC has left sum letter fr RG to make him do some action

Thanks for reading Vidya. I am sure AC has. It's just these CVs that think that introducing romance to a political drama instead of giving screen time to political actors(Radhagupt, Bindusar, Ashok's other friends) is a fine idea of illustrating a good story.

Although I meant this OS as a one-off I will continue this after 20th or so. You guys deserve a good story. Especially after the nonsense the CVs are showing now.
Edited by babur1527 - 8 years ago
babur1527 thumbnail

Chapter 2: The flaw in the Plan

Later that night. 

The small flames from the torches were flickering ominously in the corridors of the palace of Patliputra. The guards were diligently patrolling every corner keeping an eye out for any abnormalities. The royal family has been attacked far too many times now. The security of Magadh was on high alert.

The guards bowed as two people walked by.

Rajkumar Ashok was walking with Rajkumari Ahankara still carrying her brother in his arms. Ashok gave a curt nod to the guards who then resumed their patrolling.

Ashok looked into the curious eyes of the little boy who was pulling his chain. The boy looked up at Ashok and started smiling. His face was so innocent. So precious. So full of life. Ashok returned the smile and thought to himself, this is how his Ma must feel like when she looks at him. 

Reasons for smiling was hard to come by for Ashok these days. In such a short time he lost two very important people in his lives. Acharya Akramak. And Acharya Chanakya. He had also lost the trust of his younger brother who has been such a good friend ever since he came here. Ashok's smile faded. He felt a soft hand touch his shoulder. He turned to see Ahankara looking at him intently. Ashok forced a smile. Ahankara did the same. They said nothing and continued walking.

Ashok knew that his pain was nothing compared to what Ahankara went through the past few months. Ashok felt like hitting himself. How could he be so blind to Sushim's cruelty? He is the same person that used to toy with little children for fun. He is the same person that tried to kill him. Not once. Not twice. But repeatedly ever since he came to Patliputra.

Ashok tried to honor his mother's wishes of trying to get along with his brother. But he should have known better. His mother didn't know the truth. And there was a part of Ashok that suspected that Sushim had a hand in killing Chanakya. As unreasonable as it was, Ashok couldn't shake that feeling. 

Speak of the rakshas and he arrives. Ashok thought to himself as his elder brother sauntered into view.

Ashok and Sushim halted before each other. Both of them looking at the other with pure loathing.

"So the tuchprani is the babysitter now." Sushim sneered.

"What are you talking about Bhrata?" Ashok said in mock surprise. "I was always the babysitter. I have been babysitting your tantrums all this time, haven't I?"

Sushim scowled darkly. He muttered through clenched teeth. "Listen you tuchprani. Have all the fun you want. You won't be returning from Taxilla. And you," Sushim growled turning to Ahankara, "Just wait till I become Samrat. I will deal with you then."

Ashok instinctively tried to shield Ahankara. But Ahankara stepped forward her brows furrowed with anger.

"If you become Samrat that is." Ahankara said in a quiet tone. "You have no power anymore Sushim. You are lucky that your father loves you so much. So much that he is blind to all your misdeeds. Maybe someone should tell him everything about what you did around here in his absence. Maybe that will open his eyes."

Sushim's glare faltered for a moment. "You have no proof."

"Ashok and I are proof enough." Ahankara replied. "Rani Dharma will also attest for us."

Sushim looked around nervously to see if anyone overheard them. He glared at Ahankara and advanced towards her. Ashok stepped in between them. He handed Ahankara's brother to her and turned towards Sushim. The two brothers glared at one another menacingly. It looked as if a fight was about to break out between them once again.

"You know your father might walk by any moment." Ahankara taunted. 

Sushim shifted his eyes towards Ahankara. His hands were shaking with rage. After a moment he seemed to change his mind as he stormed off without another word.

Ashok turned towards Ahankara mildly surprised. "What was that about?"

"If you are not going to tell your father everything about what Sushim did." Ahankara said, "Might as well make the most of what we know in other ways." Ahankara finished with a furtive smile.

Ashok chuckled. "Yeah. Why not?"

The two then walked towards Ahankara's room.

After Ashok helped Ahankara put her brother to sleep, Ishwari came in to tell him that Radhagupt was calling for him.

"I am coming." Ashok said. Ishwari nodded and left.

"Ashok." Ahankara said as Ashok prepared to leave, "You are leaving for Taxilla tomorrow?"

"Yes." Ashok replied quietly.

"Take care of yourself." Ahankara said. "I know you will succeed in liberating Taxilla."

"Dhanyavad." Ashok replied. Ashok turned to leave but paused. He turned towards Ahankara and walked up to her. Ashok could see Ahankara take a sharp intake of breath as he drew closer. A light blush spread across her face. Ashok's heart skipped a beat. Ashok remembered what Ahankara said to him a few weeks ago. Ashok knew well enough what Ahankara felt for him. Many including Ahankara assumed that he reciprocated those feelings. But he didn't exactly lie to her when she visited him in prison. However now that his Bhrata was no longer engaged to her circumstances have changed. 

Even so Ashok felt a bit guilty for what he was about to ask of her. He has no doubt that she will do it even if she didn't want to. For his sake.

"Please keep an eye on my Ma." Ashok said quietly. "Before Acharya Chanakya died, he said that she still has enemies here in the palace. And they will no doubt try to harm her in my absence."

Ahankara looked into Ashok's eyes. Ashok already knew the answer before she said it.

"I will do it Ashok. Don't worry." Ahankara paused, drawing even closer to Ashok. "I have been hearing some awful rumors about Taxilla. Please be careful." 

Ashok suppressed the urge to take her into his arms. To reassure her that he was going to be fine. Instead he briefly grasped her shoulder and then turned to leave. Ahanakara called him. Ashok turned towards her. She looked ethereal with the diya around her. Ashok couldn't help but marvel. 

"Come back soon." Ahankara said smiling radiantly.

Ashok grinned. "I will be back before you know it."

On the other side of the palace

Radhagupt was pacing in his room. Thoughts brewing like a storm his mind. The Taxilla situation was very delicate. If the Mauryan army headed by the Rajkumar, who was also the Maha Yoddha, was defeated, then it will seriously damage the prestige of Magadh. It didn't matter how old Ashok was. To confound matters even more his Guptchar just informed him that Rakshas Acharya has escaped.

Radhagupt knew this was going to happen eventually. Chanakaya's death has weakened the spy network. However Radhagupt hoped to avoid that problem for now. Especially since the Taxilla crisis had reared its head.

Acharya Chanakya taught Radhagupt many things. The most important thing was winning when it mattered. And Radhagupt couldn't let Ashok lose at this crucial juncture.

"Acharya."

Radhagupt turned to see Ashok standing before him. His eyes focused. Looks like Ashok knew what Radhagupt wanted to discuss about. He looked towards Ishwari who stood behind Ashok. He raised his eyebrow. Ishwari nodded to indicate that there were no spies around. Radhagupt dismissed her with a curt nod.

Radhagupt then turned and sat down on what used to be Acharya Chanakya's spot. He suppressed his unease. "Take a seat Ashok." Radhagupt said. Ashok sat down waiting for Radhagupt to speak.

"Don't go by the Samurdra Marg." Radhagupt said bluntly. Ashok raised his eyebrows.

"Why-?" Ashok protested. Radhagupt put his hand up. Ashok paused.

"It is too risky." Radhagupt continued. "I know you are trying to use the elements of stealth and surprise. But trust me. You are leading a large army. There is no stealth and surprise with the method you are pursuing. Samudra Bhraman are always complicated, unpredictable and dangerous. Depends a lot on the weather. And if you are attacked by Yunani mercenaries or even pirates, let's just say things can turn ugly. The Magadh Sena are not good at naval combat."

Ashok folded his arms as he absorbed his Acharya's words.

"No matter how much you try. You can't hide the fact that you are leading Magadh's army by sea. But nonetheless I had a feeling that our conversation with Samrat was overheard by someone. A guptchar of mine confirmed it a few hours ago. Your yojna is no longer a secret." Ashok was flabbergasted.

"Whose spy was it?" Ashok managed to say after a while.  Radhagupt heaved a sigh that indicated his frustration.

"I cannot say for sure. But rest assured that whoever it was, he was no well wisher of yours." Radhagupt pulled the drawer on Chanakya's table. He brought out a parchment. "Worst case scenario," Radhagupt said spreading the parchment on the table. "They will inform Keechak and try to have you killed before you reach Taxilla."

Ashok saw that the parchment contained a map.

"Taxilla is very close to the Yunani region." Radhagupt said pointing Ashok towards the map. "There is a good chance that Keechak is backed by the Yunani."

Ashok quietly looked at the map. "Acharya are you saying that there is no way I cannot avoid getting attacked?"

"Yes." Radhagupt nodded. "We should not even try to fight the Yunani at sea. We can't beat them at naval warfare. Trust me when I say that.  Acharya Chanakya always told me about the Yunani superiority at sea. It was one of the reasons why your Pithamha Chandragupt signed that treaty with Selucus."

Ashok rubbed his forehead. "Acharya can I ask you something?"

"Yes?" Radhagupt replied.

"Do you think that the other Yunani were involved with Rajkumar Justin's conspiracy?" 

"Of course they were." That is what Radhagupt wanted to say. But he couldn't. Radhagupt knew whom Ashok was referring to. He knew full well that if he tells Ashok everything, he will realize the truth about the Yunani. Not only regarding the true nature of Lakshagraha conspiracy. But Acharya Chanakya's murder as well. Radhagupt wasn't certain but he knew they played a role in his Acharya's death. But unlike him Ashok might give in to his emotions and go after them. And right now Ashok wasn't ready to take on the Rajmata. Not when she was held in such high esteem by the Samrat and the Praja.

"Possibly." Radhagupt said carefully. He decided to divert the topic. "But right now. You should focus on Keechak and Taxilla." Ashok stared at Radhagupt. Radhagupt could tell Ashok wasn't content with his answer.

"Tell me Acharya. How do I deal with Keechak?" Ashok said hesitantly after a moment.

"As you have already realized, one way or another whether it be on land or sea, you will be attacked. However your chances are better on land." Radhagupt spoke making sure Ashok grasped his every word. "Keechak at the moment is very powerful. And with Samrat Bindusar not being able to go there, he has all the more reason to feel confident. Acharya Chanakya told me about Samrat Bindusar's fight with Keechak. It was a very close battle. Keechak had nearly killed Samrat. But in the end luck favored us. And the crisis was dealt with."

Ashok didn't say anything but stared at the map. Radhagupt continued.

"The Taxilla crisis is bigger than just some sadistic tyrant terrorizing the Praja. If we don't beat him, the Akhandata of Bharat will come under threat."

Ashok's eyes widened.

"Other rebel movements will be inspired by Keechak's victory. They might even ally with him." Radhagupt continued. "There is a reason Samrat Bindusar is sending Magadh's army there to deal with him. Taxilla is the gateway to Magadh."

Radhagupt took a quill and a new parchment. He started writing something.

"From what I remember about what Acharya told me, Keechak is not just a warrior like Dastaan was."

Ashok clenched his fist. He remembered the fights he had with Dastaan, the powerful Khurasani Sardar. He was nearly killed in every one of those fights. Ashok's palms felt cold with sweat. Yes Ashok killed him. But he was fueled by blind range thinking that Dastaan was the one that murdered Chanakya. Ashok knew very well if he met Dastaan right now he can't repeat that feat.

"He is strong and cunning as a warrior. He is ruthless. He is sadistic. And he is a shrewd individual well versed with Kutniti." Radhagupt said as he finished writing. "He is what Sushim could be if your elder brother ever manages to becomes Samrat." Radhagupt looked squarely at Ashok as he folded the parchment.

"Ashok." Radhagupt said. "You are incredibly strong for your age. However there are warriors out there who are stronger and more skilled than you. Not to mention more experienced in combat and leading battles. Like your pitaji Samrat Bindusar. And," Radhagupt put the parchment back in the drawer. "Keechak."

Radhagupt stood up.

"Ideally. Akramak was the one who should have been sent to Taxilla."  Ashok felt the dull pain in his heart again. Radhagupt clenched his fist. "But now we have to make the best of what we have."

Radhagupt turned towards Ashok. "I have drawn out a plan for you. If everything goes well enough we will have Keechak in chains by the time you are done."

Ashok stood up. It has been a while since he felt this. He felt the assuring calmness of Chanakya in Radhagupt's words.

"What do you want me to do Acharya?" Ashok asked. Radhagupt folded his hands behind him.

"Before you leave tomorrow," Radhagupt said quietly. "Spar with Samrat Bindusar after he does the Surya Namaskar." Ashok was taken aback. "And tell him not to hold back. Make sure he doesn't hold back." Radhagupt said very seriously.

Ashok looked at Radhagupt incredulously. Why did he want Ashok to fight his father before he left?

"I will tell you after you spar with him." Radhagupt said before Ashok could voice his thoughts.

"Go now. Get some sleep. You have a long day tomorrow."

Ashok touched Radhagupt's feet and pressed his hands together in respect. "Yes Acharya."

"Kalyanam astu." Radhagupt said patting Ashok's head. Ashok stood up and walked out.

Radhagupt moved towards the window. The moon was shining brightly tonight after a long while. He stared into the quiet city. The soft breeze was calming. Radhagupt looked out to forest that lead to the mountains. It was a peaceful scenery. Taxilla must be quiet too right now. Except for the screams of those who are being  tortured by Keechak. Radhagupt gripped the window rail.

"I will not let Ashok lose no matter what. Kadap hi nahi." 

To be continued...

Chapter 3: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/129862496

Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
musicndance2 thumbnail
Babur!!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ I m really aadheer for the next partπŸ˜›
You also have ticked my creative nerveπŸ˜†
Presenting this for you

babur1527 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: musicndance2

Babur!!!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ I m really aadheer for the next partπŸ˜›

You also have ticked my creative nerveπŸ˜†
Presenting this for you

Wow. Lovely creation Shelly. πŸ‘

It is an excellent illustration of my OS.

Will try to update as soon as possible. Mai koshish karunga ke Bindu-Ashok ki duel dekne, mera matlab parna layak hoga. πŸ˜†
Edited by babur1527 - 8 years ago
musicndance2 thumbnail
@Babur
Thank u so much...
If u dont mind.. can I promote ur FF in Instagram
I usually post my edits related to CAS in IG..
So... may I?
babur1527 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: musicndance2

@Babur

Thank u so much...
If u dont mind.. can I promote ur FF in Instagram
I usually post my edits related to CAS in IG..
So... may I?

Yeah why not? I wrote this for you guys after all.
guenhwyvar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
How come I just found this now.l!!! I'll read everything tomorrow but skimmed through your first post and immediately could tell its gonna be awesome.
Kaana thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Babur brilliant! A good dose of politics - felt like breathing fresh air, honestly dude.
And RG role- gave me so much sukhoon. How how I wish CAS shows RG like this. Instead of only Ashok having brains and RG a mere prop.
You have dealt with RG beautifully. And have brought out his emotions and Ashok's so well. You are a fine writer.
Can't wait for the spar coming in :-)
Kaana thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Btw dude it's 'Kalyaanamastu' that the Acharyas blesses one - all prosperity.