Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

QuietlyLoud thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
I don't mind the speech being in Hindi as long as it is translated into regional languages and/or have subtitles in English.At least I'm glad he chose not to speak in Gujarati,which even fewer people could have understood.On a global platform like UN, though I would rather have him speak English,I can excuse his Hindi use for being more comfortable with the latter.However, if his intention was to broadcast Hindi as the national language,then that was in very poor taste,indeed.Even if one was to accept that half of the population were really fluent in Hindi ,contrary to what census says,does he consider himself as the PM of only half of the India? I hope not!

If ministers/political leaders are more comfortable with Hindi,then I don't mind them using it to address people as long as their intention is to get the message across,not cheap advertising.

On a related topic,Hindi should be scrapped as a compulsory language from the school curriculum of children belonging to non-Hindi speaking states. As long as English could be used for official purposes,Hindi is as good as French or German to them.If they want to learn it at their own will,let them.It should be a choice.Shoving it down their throats is obstinate and silly.

Edited by QuietlyLoud - 8 years ago
...Diala... thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
The PM's speech as such, I don't find any fault.. He can use anything that he feels comfortable unless he says 'here i come to speak to y'all in our national language <insert language of it choice>.. One has to be generous to consider that this Hindi speech didn't have a hidden message.. Well I am ready to be so..

Why the iamnotinterestedinhindi crowd finds fault in anything the PM does is something that he paid for.. Literally.. You open a Kannada newspaper in Karnataka/ Tamil newspaper in tamilnadu to find an advertisement by GOI in two foreign languages i.e English and Hindi.. Same with tender notifications.. Swacha Bharat campaign ad in a foreign language again with no sub titles making us wonder what Gandhiji is trying to say and if October 2nd is any nearby.. Like seriously what is the joke here? Our sentiments or the campaign itself? Had I been even slightly more crazy than what already I am, I would have went around littering places to mark my protest 😆.. Ok am kidding

Either they don't want us to keep our place clean or the actual message is not at all about cleanliness but that the 'regional' language speakers have to learn the rashtra bhasha Hindi to stay connected with their own government.. Btw while it is highly offensive to call a language regional, I am happy it is not termed marginal language.. Or sooner it might be.. 
iMini thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ...Diala...

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" color="#006600">I am pretty sure I did.. come on... didnt u say fluently?how can you know/understand a language fluently.. 🤔</font>

My mother tongue isnt Hindi but I speak it fluently. Problem?
iMini thumbnail

Originally posted by: QuietlyLoud

I don't mind the speech being in Hindi as long as it is translated into regional languages and/or have subtitles in English.At least I'm glad he chose not to speak in Gujarati,which even fewer people could have understood.On a global platform like UN, though I would rather have him speak English,I can excuse his Hindi use for being more comfortable with the latter.However, if his intention was to broadcast Hindi as the national language,then that was in very poor taste,indeed.Even if one was to accept that half of the population were reallyfluentin Hindi ,contrary to what census says,does he consider himself as the PM of only half of the India? I hope not!

Ifministers/political leadersare more comfortable with Hindi,then I don't mind them using it to address people as long as their intention is to get the message across,not cheap advertising.

On a related topic,Hindi should be scrapped as a compulsory language from the school curriculum of children belonging to non-Hindi speaking states. As long as English could be used for official purposes,Hindi is as good as French or German to them.If they want to learn it at their own will,let them.It should be a choice.Shoving it down their throats is obstinate and silly.

Doesn't that depend on state boards? CBSE gives the option to either have Hindi or the regional language as 2nd language and a variety of languages like Sanskrit,Spanish,Tamil,Marathi,Telugu,French etc as 3rd language. That was how my school was..hence I don't understand this anti-hindi rage.
iMini thumbnail
BTW guys..there is no national language in India.Only official and recognized regional languages.
A lot lesser people know English than Hindi-why not be anti-english?
There is no point in just raising objection - provide a solution.
No language should be imposed upon anyone.. now if you know a regional language and expect the whole nation to know it in order to convey to you then that's irrational.

The only practical solution here is to employ translators. What else can be done?
...Diala... thumbnail
//No language should be imposed upon anyone.. now if you know a regional language and expect the whole nation to know it in order to convey to you then that's irrational.//

That is indeed the problem.. Don't expect the whole nation to know one regional language how much ever big  or small the region is .. Hindi was named after Hindustan not the other way...

And previous post reply.. I have no problem in you being fluent in any language.. I just said 50% India being fluent in Hindi is false data which is not supported by any stat..
iMini thumbnail
You will find stats on a lot of sources.
Depends on which source you would like to believe on.
Encarta states 45% of Indians have Hindi and it's variants like bhojpuri,avdhi,khariboli,etc as their mother tongue.(stats of 2007)
I agree,no source states its 50%.
Read Britannica and you'll find similar stats.

Hindi is the most common language in India..even if it's just 25 or even 20 % of people having it as their mother tongue. No other language beats that stat as far as I know.Edited by iMini - 8 years ago
...Diala... thumbnail
Can you imagine a group of 10 where 2 have Hindi as mother tongue and you say Hindi is the common language of our group??? doesnt that sound funny??

I dont disagree that it leads the table, what I said is that it is not majority enough to even think of having it as common language across the country.. no imposition which you anyway agree.. no single language policy needed..  thank you
Edited by ...Diala... - 8 years ago
iMini thumbnail
Of course! why debate over the imaginary problem?
Take it this way:
Out of 100 people, 45 people know Hindi out of which 25 have it as their mother tongue too.
Yes,hence it's the most common language in our country. I don't find this statement funny at all.
Exaggeration is what you do...2 out of 10? lol
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Make hindi the national language and force it on the south or wherever they object to it... this is getting ridiculous now!!