jai shri ram!

mandir wahin banayenge!

oh... HINDI.. I thought... nevermind 😆

Banana kuch nahin. ban gaya banana republic.😆
Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: iMini

Rehanism: That 'most' commonly spread is obviously in comparison to other Indian languages if you didn't notice the 'most'.
I've been to a lot of places,in no place I've found no one knowing Hindi.

My point was, that 40-50% figure cannot be taken at face value without considering geographical coverage.

Originally posted by: iMini

On the main issue of this debate: what is your opinion and what solution do you suggest?

Very simple. Hire translators and have websites and TV programmes translated into all the recognized regional language. Its no big deal for a 2 trillion $ economy. Far more pragmatic and economic than shoving Hindi down everyone's throat. When most major governments around the world, despite being far more linguistically homogeneous, can have their websites translated into a dozen languages, I don't realise why the Indian government must stick to only Hindi and English. Its not as if Mr. Modi is personally required to dub all his speeches or translate all his writings.

Personally I fail to see the crisis we are supposedly facing due to lack of 'national language'. If imposition of a common tongue could have kept nations like ours together, perhaps Pakistan would have been the most stable nation in the region. But this new pro-authoritarian posture of the right-leaning Indian youth is indeed worrisome. Its not just language, but in many other cultural issues, there's a deliberate attempt to marginalize the minorities and adopt a majoritarian stand or create an us vs them situation even when there's no real threat. Funnily today Indian youth supports precisely those policies that have broken and brought down nations in our immediate neighbourood.

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ...Diala...

Along with the understanding that Hindi is not the National language of India, I wish India also understands that TN is not the only state that has problem with imposition of Hindi. Heck even the active FB group was not started by TN. As far as I remember interacting with the PLE Bangalore group in FB there are active members who speak Kannada Malayalam Telugu Marati Bangla Assamese and Naga. 

the motive is bigger than general public can understand easily. We are voicing for all 22 languages (to start of with) though not all language speakers seem to be interested in it atlease in the social media. But I know it is foolish to expect from the nation whose PM thinks his mother tongue did not have a role in his current elevated status.. sigh..

Answer one question. Do you have any problem accepting hindi as a national language on a personal groud? Its just a language most understand.. most enjoy (bollywood, hindi serials etc...) yeah and I know some corners of our county  people dont agree with this.. but should rest of us care? my mother tongue is kannada.. by accpeting  hindi I dont get linguistically ostracized do I?

Once I visited  UP and dfound ast home with their typical hindu customs.. didnt notic how my south indian details would make it fuzzy!!.. then onc in calcutta - there the customs are even closer so also in TN.. where i didnt understand the language.. - lets celebrate this beautiful unity in diversity!!

and not make rai ka pahad!!!
Edited by qwertyesque - 8 years ago
...Diala... thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I dont know what you mean by personal ground.. anyway you answered your question in the second half of your post.. Unity in Diversity is the pride of India.. not one language or one religion..

India did not need a national language to achieve something as big as the nation's freedom.. so what is the need now? Why do you think it was not made one in 1950 when patriotism was at its peak? did we become more patriotic now? for god's sake whatever we see now is a result of earlier imposition.. not the other way.. and another reason for huge number of Hindi speakers is lack of population control in Hindi belt.. Next census Hindi speaker's population will be higher but pls.. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India

The last 3 words in your post? where you didnt care if I will understand or not? that attitude? I have problem with that on a personal ground.. ðŸ˜†

Corner of our Country - yes just that the corner is a way too big to be neglected... but when I see that I am being cornered for the language I speak or want to speak or dont want to speak, i am disturbed.. coz I think self respect is kinda important.. samples below.. please dont try to explain with cost factor.. Ive answered that already..