Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Deepthought thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: iMini

Deep thought:whining is easy,providing solutions not.Recommend a 'solution' and I will shut up.Recommend an alternative language.
Didn't I say he should appoint translators? Why create a fuss then?

I strongly resent your use of the term whining. 

Pointing out a problem is not whining. Life is not always simple and at times dangers need to pointed out. Of course practical solutions are welcome, but whatever way you do it in the case of a national language you're going to not only offend tens of millions of people, but potentially make the other languages decline in the longer term. 

I think your attitude to languages demonstrated by what you've written to date suggest you are willing to ride rough-shod over the sentiments of significant numbers of Indians. I think, if say for example, Tamil were chosen as the national language, the we would also have a backlash from the singificant numbers of Hindi speakers. 

I may not have a solution to the problem but surely I can point out something i believe to be unfair or will lead to problems. 
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Local languages should be encouraged and is encouraged in India through the various state education boards.
Govt. notices are usually posted in the local language of the state along with in English and Hindi. However, if some lapses are happening, those should be rectified, as there are many people who do not understand any language other than the vernacular language of that state, which is their mother tongue.

But I didn't understand what is the issue with Prime Minister's speech. The PM can choose only one language to deliver his speech, and in case of Narendra Modi, he has 3 options I guess - Gujarati, Hindi and English - of which Hindi has the broadest reach in India. And if the PM's address is shown live on TV, not sure if providing instant subtitles in local language is feasible.
Deepthought thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

Local languages should be encouraged and is encouraged in India through the various state education boards.

Govt. notices are usually posted in the local language of the state along with in English and Hindi. However, if some lapses are happening, those should be rectified, as there are many people who do not understand any language other than the vernacular language of that state, which is their mother tongue.

But I didn't understand what is the issue with Prime Minister's speech. The PM can choose only one language to deliver his speech, and in case of Narendra Modi, he has 3 options I guess - Gujarati, Hindi and English - of which Hindi has the broadest reach in India. And if the PM's address is shown live on TV, not sure if providing instant subtitles in local language is feasible.

Perhaps it would be helpful/instructive to find out what the 'complaint' is of the critics - the matter I drew attention to in the first palce! ðŸ˜ƒ
iMini thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Deepthought

I strongly resent your use of the term whining.

Pointing out a problem is not whining. Life is not always simple and at times dangers need to pointed out. Of course practical solutions are welcome, but whatever way you do it in the case of a national language you're going to not only offend tens of millions of people, but potentially make the other languages decline in the longer term.

I think your attitude to languages demonstrated by what you've written to date suggest you are willing to ride rough-shod over the sentiments of significant numbers of Indians. I think, if say for example, Tamil were chosen as the national language, the we would also have a backlash from the singificant numbers of Hindi speakers.

I may not have a solution to the problem but surely I can point out something i believe to be unfair or will lead to problems.

I can only feel sorry for what you have interpreted of my words.There is no national language. Don't be in delusions. Just repost my post where I have said what you think I had.You are over imaginative.Edited by iMini - 8 years ago
souro thumbnail

Perhaps it would be helpful/instructive to find out what the 'complaint' is of the critics - the matter I drew attention to in the first palce! ðŸ˜ƒ

My response was after reading the article that you posted. If you know more, maybe you should enlighten us with the same.
souro thumbnail

It is easy for you to say that (Hindi) is the language the majority of Indians are comfortable with - but why do you think the campaign against began in the first place! Significant numbers of people are clearl;y not happy! I am not anti-Hindi in that I dislike the language. I simply raised the matter of imposing a language that is clealry not spoken by the overwhelming mass of indians. My argument equally applies to Urdu in Paistan.

I'm not sure there is a simple solution to this issue if one cares for the sentiments of significant numbers of millions of people. What I do know is that language diversity needs to be valued and conserved, rather like biodiversity in the world of nature. Language and thought are closely tied together and the loss of languages (and there is research that shows the number of human languages is rapidly declining) will lead to the loss of different ways of thinking too.

She asked for your thoughts on how this issue can be solved, and all I see is an admission of 'no idea', unrelated comparison to Pakistan and high falutin mumbo jumbo. ðŸ˜†
I kind of agree. The Hindi hinterland UP/Bihar etc is over represented in Indian legislature. A lot of South Indian people know Hindi. But how many of the northies know southern languages?
At the very least, Sanskrit should get more impetus in the north as it's really similar to the southern languages. 
iMini thumbnail

Originally posted by: ibnbatuta

I kind of agree. The Hindi hinterland UP/Bihar etc is over represented in Indian legislature. A lot of South Indian people know Hindi. But how many of the northies know southern languages?

At the very least, Sanskrit should get more impetus in the north as it's really similar to the southern languages.

Sanskrit is a unique language and learning it is an enriching experience. I wished all could get an opportunity to learn it.
Deepthought thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

She asked for your thoughts on how this issue can be solved, and all I see is an admission of 'no idea', unrelated comparison to Pakistan and high falutin mumbo jumbo. ðŸ˜†

#
Fine example of mocking by someone who bears the title of moderator!

All problems are not easily soluable so what's wrong in being honest as opposed to thinking you can railroad people into doing something they clearly object to?

iMini thumbnail
Deep thought,why do you feel mocked when you yourselves have accepted you have no idea of what you want the PM to do instead?
You don't debate,you only argue without any sense without even reading what we have posted.