Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Icecream Aandolan

Are you involved in your father's enterprise?" Appa asked
"Not much..." he looked at her piercingly

WELL YOU MADE LIFE HELL FOR ME AND MY TEAM U GOT THROWN OUT
I HAVE TO DO A JOB. I AM GOING TO GET IT DONE HOW EVER I CAN
I HAVENT CHECKED MY EMAIL YET, ITS BEEN A WEEK I AM ITCHING TO
I BET THE WORLD HAS FALLEN APART (ARROGANT SMUG IYER's rant😉)
I CANT WAIT TO SINK MY TEETH INTO WORK
WE ARE MOVING ON IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT YOU THINK OF KMPG AND ITS TRANSPRO SW, RAKSHASAN!!

"Did u study Comp Sc? Appa asked
He nodded

"U don't do anything with it do you?" Appa asked

"Umm... I do... depends on what I am looking at... I have been asked to take stock of Info Systems needs at Excelsior periodically when ever I visit, and this visit is no exception"

"Does Mr Bhalla have a CTO or CIO?"

"he calls himself a CTO I think, but there is only so much technology you need to sell cars" R&B said subtly mocking tone

"He has a turnover of Rs. 2000 crores?

R&B chuckled "there is all sorts of numbers floating around, the
Sales of automobiles is Rs.700 crores a year,
Parts & accessories they sell at showrooms and workshops is around 50 crores and
Labor at repair workshops is 25 crores...
so altogether its more like 800 crores... Profit is usually 60-80 crores a year post tax

Appa's jaw dropped, unfathomable for a man that makes 8 lakhs in a Govt of India job
Even one crore was 92 lakhs away!!!!! Ranjan made 80 times as much.

"He mentioned wanting to go public" Appa said

"He might I don't know" careless shrug

"Ishita said u like to read"

"Yes Sir" he said not elaborating

"Ivan pesave maatengran, nee pesinde iruppe" (He doesn't even talk u keep talking)

Apap turned to his kanna to comment

His kanna squirmed...

Amma: can I give you more roti?

He shook his head politely "No thank you, your friends fed us a lot"

Amma: Enna kudutha (AMMAS!! CURIOUS!!! AS ALWAYS)

II: Badam halwa,  rava pongal and vadai

Appa: So you got a good breakfast there? Is it? That's why u didn't want to come here

II smiled "ille pa... my car had a check Engine light it seems"

"Yes yes, I saw that" Appa reminded himself

"IVar... ada Toyota workshop anupitaar" (He sent it for repair)

Appa looked at R&B differently for a second or two... DO U REALLY CARE FOR MY DAUGHTER AS MUCH AS I DO?

Quickly concealing the feelings of surprise

"Is ur office far from home in Paris?" Appa continued his quiz

"My office is in Courbevoie, and home in 8th Arrondissement, its around 7 kms takes 20 minutes by car. I don't have a car in Paris so it takes an hour in Metro"

"do u miss Paris" Appa asked as blunt as the dude

He looked at his wife and said "I do"

OH? GOOD TO KNOW... NO WONDER U KEEP GOING BACK
I GUESS NOTHING CAN HOLD YOU BACK?

He held her eyes for the longest time, making Amma uncomfortable

Amma served him more raita... he released her from imprisonment

"Ishita has never lived in Paris, so she will miss Delhi if she goes there" Appa concluded.
"chanakya puri itself is new, and then Paris is more unfamiliar. We have lived in this house 16? 17 years Madhavi?

Amam nodded

R&B didn't respond

He thought "Well I am not leaving her with you... if that's what u are hinting at"
But didn't say it

"She is used to everything in RK Puram... her paattu teacher is close by... her tailor
Appa made a case for why D II is the best for kozhandai AFTER her marriage.
Comical?

Amma: She doesn't have many friends here locally, all her friends as u met are from her college LSR, or KV Andrews Ganj

R&B smiled

II: Naina likes Mihir ma

Appa looked curiously

Amma:Ivaroda friend best friend Mihir, avarum Naina vum friends ayitaalam (Mihir and Naina are friends)

Appa: I thought all your friends were married

II: No pa, some aren't
Appa dreaded more involvement with the dude and his buds

Appa: So let us know when u will come... to stay... Amma and u can attend Temple NY celebrations.. and Tamil Sangam celebrations

II nodded "Neenga Amma rendu perum u shud take time off (both of u guys)

Amma: Enna velaydreya? (are u kidding me?) Will you take time off?

II:Ummm... I will work fewer.. may be.. beg Bally to let me WFH 4 hrs? 3 hrs? (giggling)

Amma played along with her baby "Avar enna pannuvar? ur new husband?"

"Umm... he can be here too... (LIKE U WILL GET ANYTHING DONE) or I can stop by and see him a couple times" giggling

"Like hell u will" R&B cursed mentally he defiantly conjured up ways to somehow keep her occupied and away from D II.
He finally had by him, he wasn't going to send her back here.

Amma laughed "U are a kid!! but U are married now..."

Appa: what is wrong she can be here for a week"

Appa was in the living room wanting to chat with her... refusing to leave... THE DAUGHTER HE WASNT TALKING TO ONE WHOLE MONTH

II got up to clear... Amma waved to go sit with her on the sofa, she offered kheer to R&B "If she is having some Ill just share?" he requested
II blushed like said "Lets   make babies in the living room"

Amma  nodded... he had three spoons and reached out and gave it to her

"why did u make badaam kheer Ishita only like semiya kheer" Appa said

II ate her kheer slowly not just in front of Appa... trying to clear the things off the dining table.

He wandered over to where she was cleaning up, for lack of better things to do

"I have pod swing in the balcony, next time you should bring a book and read" she offered
He smiled... nodding...
Amma and Appa left hera lone to clean up and "hang"

She realized he must look for opportunities not to visit much

"Will u have ice cream?" "Its not home made" she blurted accidentally.
ranjan had told her R&B loves that... they had a Italian ice cream machine/ sorbet maker.

He leaned on the kitchen wall... "Ummm" "Dad said u loved home made"

"I will have some II"

"Do u like taking the metro to work?" she asked

He nodded

"7 kms is not too far" she smiled empty leftovers into small steel containers

He leaned one foot up staring at the idli grinder... bending down to rotate the vessel

LIKE SHRAVU!!

II wanted to jump up and give him a squishy hug... and Amma would scold him "No da do not rotate it when its turned off dont"

He would still do it, he would set cars on the edge and watched them go for a spin

She scooped a bowl out... Vadilal's butter Scotch her favorite, she smiled opening up the tub

They would wait for Friday evenings in summer so Appa would let them go down and get some

At Rs.100-200 a tub it was only a summer luxury...

"Did u eat a lot of ice cream during summer?"

"some" he said

"We would wait for Appa to returns, sometimes Appa's chartered bus would be late due to some traffic jam on the ring road, and the ice cream guy would leave
I would stand in the balcony until 10 or 11 crying... Amma would just ignore me, one time she was so fed up of me
she didnt save any aloo matar for me and I had to eat curd rice standing in the balcony"

"U dont like curd rice?" he asked

"Not as much as aloo matar" she giggled

One time she even pretended to lock up and go in for the night, I used Madurai paattis 9 yards saree and made it as far down as the first floor window shade
We lived in Sector 6, on the 2nd floor the two room qtrs...
Appa thought I ran away... Amma saw me pasted to the wall... annikki raatri... I am sorry umm that night" II made a face

"All for ice cream?" he asked
She nodded leaning on the counter, holding the subzi container...
when she talked animatedly she sounded like a 15 year old... her bruised lips and
neck reminded him she was married to him, not to mention the yellow cord tucked into
her dress and the gorgeous henna and those bangles she insisted on wearing to bed, he tried to remember how long Sam wore hers
12 years ago, he was in CMU so he didnt care...

He made a note to himself to ask Sam

"amma is very strict Appa though he seemes... (paused) unwilling to admit) strict now
(she started walking to the frig outside the kitchen) is a softie... Appa has never scolded me for poor grades"

He ate quietly

"is this your fave ice cream?" he asked

"HOW did u know?" she asked thrilled to bits

Her Appa had bought it because she was visiting how hard was it to figure out?

She was embarrassed... "When I would come on vacation from IIM Amma would still have the same expectations like
I never left, Appa wouldnt, he would make my bed, and pack my clothes get me samosas I would be a celebrity" she giggled

After being quiet for a long time she said "U dont have to pamper me or anything I am just sayin"

"Dang it" he said softly mocking her... as if saying "I thought thats why you were telling me

She leaned on the counter again... facing him he leaned on the wall by the grinder in that tiny kitchen... talll...

"What did u do in summer?" "There is nothing to do in Chanakya puri no?" she was smug

I mean how can anything be as"cool" as RK Puram

""Yep not much" he said

"Did u have lots of ice creams and rain showers too?  giggling

He basically went over seas 6 out of 8 weeks, so he never stayed home... Ma and them... or with Uncle's kids
"How much time did u get off at Modern School?" "Is that where u went?"

"Barakhamaba"

"I loved the short skirts... I hated our uniform, there was a fugly salwar under our skirt,
MS girls wouldnt even look at us, their skirts would be basically 6 inches long" giggling "Shaved legs and manicured hands"

He lifted a spoonful of ice cream and offered..."I want the whole cup or nothing she said
"Spoon's all u get" he said
"Phir tum hi khao" she turned to serve herself some gooey ice cream it sat on the counter for 10 minutes and was almost a shake
He served into his bowl and gave her a spoon

"when did u start shaving ur legs"

"Guess" she said breathless

"5th grade" he said mischievusly
She smacked him

"U started shaving then... I am not hairy like u da" husky

"I know" he said

She blushed for some strange reason... licking his spoon off

"11th? no use u know wear that hideous salwar for school and jeans and such at home... only when I went to IIM " she whispered giggling

He was sweating in the kitchen

She walked out of the kitchen went to her room... he followed she shut the window and turned the AC on, the time was 2:28
And shut the other half of the door

"Can I guess when u wore a bra first?"

"NOOO! U may not" hot and bothered
"I am going to guess anyway" he said

"No it was not 4th grade" she gave him a humorless smile

PIGGG!!

"I was going to guess 6th grade" he said softly

She sat on the divan... her favorite spot slooking out the window
He sat by her slowly...

"Wrong again... it was the summer of 6th grade" she said indignantly

"We should guess something about you now" she said

He shurgged

"Never mind" she smiled leaning on a oblong cushion

"did u cry earlier today?" he asked looking deeply into her eyes

She was immediately flustered... she jumped up and said "I have to go change... no... why would I cry... bilkul nahi" she said
 He leaned back on the cushion

"Sleep on the bed" she invited

"with who?" he asked

When she returned he was asleep... she slithered by him and and snuggled... he immediately hugged her fully aware she was in bed now...

she climbed on his arm and put her head in a spot where his arm met his shoulder... he had taken his shirt off and
his pants, he was sleeping in his vest and underwear
covered up

"I am going to start collecting cargos and BR tees here" she giggled (so he could change on days like today)

harshita27 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Awwwieee!! You just about made me frown upon R&B for 1 update... N then I was back to loving him again😆 This love hate relationship I share with him is costing me my sleep n peace of mind... N I hold u responsible for it Nisha...🤣😆
Ok coming back to update!!! Finally!! Finally the Dude remembers his wife's tears... N then this gadhi II goes n lies... Why re gadhi?? Why did u need to lie? Didnt I demand n hope n pray that you will for once except whats bothering you... Ok fine you didnt have to tell him you wouldnt survive without the lanky dude... All you had to share was what happened a year back, what you had faced... Facts.. Nothing else!! N how you now see in hindsight that it was all for good, since u got saved from an irritating,impatient n orthodox mother-son duo... But you, my dear gadhi, will need more lessons on "Life n marital understanding 101"😕
So the motor mouth has a lot to share with the quiet one... N he is listening n talking too... Some bit!! Love how he moulds n cuddles her instantly aware of her presence🤗... There is that heart tugging touch to imagining these two in such a simple setting... Somehow DII n those two in II's bed paints a very cute n endearing picture... There is that innocence n warmth to it... R&B always sleeps a lot on II's bed... Maybe coz of lack of anything else to do??😆
Dude chhedo-ed his love for Paris😕... That romantic city has a big fat "danger" signal on it for their relationship... The honeymoon will not be uneventful I have a feel... There will be a lot of heartache n real fights... Why do I feel that??😭
R&B will throw a huge tantrum... A silent n huge tantrum if II so much as plans to stay at DII a single day in next 6-7 months.. The dude sacrificed his bachelorhood just so th at noone tells him that he cant meet or be with II as and when he wants😆 So everyone can safely forget II's attention else it'll be II who will run back like a lost kitten back to its house... DII has already become "parents house" for her☺️
 Ice-cream tales sound like meri life ki kahani, papa se "brick"( hamare yaha tub nahi brick ya family pack bolte the for big sized ones) ke liye summer mei bahut minnat karni padti thi... N mom was a total spoil-sport, always saying we should only get a cup each since a "brick" was too much for just 2 girls... She didnt understand the concept of 2nd helping or the charm of keeping extra ice-cream in fridge😆
N II's consciousness that her talk about how pampered she was by her appa shouldnt translate into her expectations of same treatment a malcha marg😊... Aww II... Ranjan already adores you... Soon there will be time when Ranjan would search for you as soon as he got home... Asking for his "betaji" n then we have the quiet one, he follows the the motor mouth like she is the magnet n he the iron filing... He gives me a cute image of a kid following its mom holding her aanchal!! ☺️
There is an innocent touch again to their conversation about shaved legs n bra... Nothing sexual.. Just an awareness of how n what their life was growing up...I wonder what would have happened if these two had met in their teens
I love amma, she jokes with son-in-law... Appa is getting stranger by the day for some reason... I'll ignore him... I have Ranjan as my fav in that age category😆
Edited by harshita27 - 9 years ago
charlie1950 thumbnail
Ur story is an addiction
I'm gonna have a bad withdrawal
wen u finish this one
I don't know what I'm gonna do then

taramira thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
A yet another very sweet update. 
Appa waging a war trying to keep II on his side although he very well knows RB has claimed her fully. But being the Iyer warrior that he is...he's not going to let go that easily. A,ma as mothers are is hoy that Ik is happy..no issues there.
Loved the way RB tried to gently ask her whether she cried earlier. And of course II will never let him get a peek into what goes on in her head?.at least not now.
The way the intimacy is slowly developing is just the way I would have imagined it to happen when two completely different - in class and status and personality (although there are many commonalities as well..their intense attraction towards the other to begin with) people marry. I have said this earlier as well Nisha, the story is so appealing because you give attention to small details. The idli grinder, the butterscotch ice cream, the difference between the unforms of MS barakhamba and KV, there is a direct connection there and I guess all of have experienced this one time or the other in our lives. 

I am from DPS mathura Road and I remember the intense rivalry there was between MS Barakhamba, DPS and St Columbas. Super duper hit once again..

And of course yeh dil manage more.
swathi1990 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Loved the way R&B asked whether she was crying... Ofcourse she does not trust this relationship enough to share her feelings with him... I think she slowly will and R&B will slowly make that happen... They are slowly getting to know each other... Just like in any arranged marriage...and this phase is just wonderful...
and in this mess, there is appa... I did initially sympathize for him.. But I feel that he is being a tad unreasonable in the recent updates... I could understand his intentions till she got married... But after that I would expect any father to wish that she is happy with her husband...Would Appa send amma like that if his father-in-law asked it ? Does he expect this relation to break ? I can accept if he expected II to remain an Iyer in her practices..But not this...
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: swathi1990

Loved the way R&B asked whether she was crying... Ofcourse she does not trust this relationship enough to share her feelings with him... I think she slowly will and R&B will slowly make that happen... They are slowly getting to know each other... Just like in any arranged marriage...and this phase is just wonderful...

and in this mess, there is appa... I did initially sympathize for him.. But I feel that he is being a tad unreasonable in the recent updates... I could understand his intentions till she got married... But after that I would expect any father to wish that she is happy with her husband...Would Appa send amma like that if his father-in-law asked it ? Does he expect this relation to break ? I can accept if he expected II to remain an Iyer in her practices..But not this...

EXACTLY!!

I think

Appa's resentment is mainly around Ranjan, and his impact on R&B and how that would translate to II

There is a unspoken fear about the tremendous amount of wealth they have and the associated scandal and how he could let his daughter even do that? If she married Amit on her team or Bally (if he were single) I trust Appa would have taken it better

There is something about the combination of extraordinary wealth and the scandal that makes Appa very jumpy, its like hes the only one that "sees" something really wrong about the whole thing
swathi1990 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nisha0604

EXACTLY!!

I think

Appa's resentment is mainly around Ranjan, and his impact on R&B and how that would translate to II

There is a unspoken fear about the tremendous amount of wealth they have and the associated scandal and how he could let his daughter even do that? If she married Amit on her team or Bally (if he were single) I trust Appa would have taken it better

There is something about the combination of extraordinary wealth and the scandal that makes Appa very jumpy, its like hes the only one that "sees" something really wrong about the whole thing

I totally see the reason for him to be Jumpy... Any father would be and should be in this case.. It is the FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN... If the boy is a regular iyer chosen by him, then it is something whihc he understands..but in this case, everything is totally different and the with the scandal in equation the fear will blow up for any parent. I get that...But even with this fear, any father will expect that his fears shouldn't become true...But why dont I get that vibe with Appa is wat is confusing...