Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

indi52 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago
episode 334

to be sure, man's search for meaning may arouse inner tension rather than inner equilibrium. however, precisely such tension is an indispensable prerequisite of mental health. there is nothing in the world, i venture to say, that would so effectively help one to survive even the worst conditions as the knowledge that there is a meaning in one's life. there is much wisdom in the words of nietzsche: "he who has a why to live for can bear almost any how".

~~~ viktor e frankl ~~~

i remember being extremely moved by this book, man's search for meaning, from which that quote comes, when i read it a few years ago. the thoughts and work of an eminent psychiatrist who had lived through the hell of a concentration camp. his inspired observations about human nature in that state of extreme suffering and humiliation. and his ever steadying belief that those who survived were the ones who had a sense of purpose, a "meaning" in their lives.

i have forgotten most of what i read.

but in the relationship of asr with his sister anjali, i felt that search for meaning; that need for something to live for... in a very young boy suddenly cut off from stability and a sense of "normal" in his life.

di was not just someone he loved... di was the one because of whom he found the urge to live... to conquer... to show "himmat".

when di felt happy, he felt everything was alright... he had said the episode before. a moving look into the character of an apparently cold hard arrogant man.

i'd written in 333 that perhaps khushi, the one we had met initially, had sensed his non-negotiable need for his sister. how fundamental she was to his sense of well being... of his "normal". because nothing really was normal in his life that night onward. yet, brave and arced toward overcoming odds, he had held onto the one thing he could, his sister's responsibility... and forged ahead.

when he broke down before khushi and said he was a failure for not having succeeded in protecting his sister, i'd hoped she would show her ken and say things that heal him, love him, tell him he has succeeded, in his own way. just by doing what he has, he has done that... that even though it might not seem so at the moment, yet, he has not really failed.

"aapke amma babu ji ke saath jo kuchh bhi hua... di ke saath jo kuchh bhi hua... aap unhen nahin badal sakte hain, arnav ji..." she said instead, eyes streaming, her voice neat and pert and at a distance from her words.

such pat words. what happened to your parents and to your sister... you can't change them, arnav ji.

and so sanctimonious too... also utterly wrong. neither is the content accurate nor the timing conscientious.

when a man who has tried with all he has, is vulnerable, that's not the time to lecture him or tell him he can't influence things. a complete insensitivity from a beautiful woman when the person who has grown to trust her needs her most.

and if we take an attitude of "nahin badal sakte hain," can't change a thing... where would we be?

it really doesn't matter what a tv serial says and yet it begins to matter when something in it feels so right, so worth spending time on, pondering.

the attitude to life of one asr... who shows himmat... who grapples with vicissitudes, who refuses to accept defeat, just makes me want to do so. today he reminded me of people who have faced great suffering and overcome.

words like magnificent are reserved for elevated, exalted characters of high literaure. maybe because i was never clever enough to get the high stuff, nor patient enough to linger and find out what made them high, arnav singh raizada had to come into my bedroom one midnight. the witching hour.

tv serials don't have a philosophy and yet... they really do.

i disagreed vehemently with this part of the episode.

i have severe problems with talk of fate and "bhagya" unless it is done in a considered wise manner, this was in defeatist vein... as far as i am concerned and to use my aching hero's word, this is "galat". not "sahi" at all.

"di ko aise haal mein nahin dekh sakta..." can't see di in this state... said the man who keeps things real and even in failure seems to triumph. aristotle's tragic hero aroused pity and fear... he made an error of judgement that led to his downfall. even if i'd never read anything about the greek tragic hero, i'd have known through all i have seen and right now in the hoarsely whispered sentences, the tortured look, the refusal to give in, that sense of something larger than life, a call to the deepest human traits, the most gorgeous, to rise and prevail no matter what... that here indeed was a "hero" and his failure would really be a tragedy.

he achieved this without a trace of sanctimoniousness or know all holier than thouness. by just being a man. a human with all his humanness. if that isn't breath taking, what is.

most "heroes" have soliloquies, "quotable quotes", chances to hold forth... or they have salim javed dialogues at the very least. here he rarely says anything specially special, hardly speaks. usually a couple of words, sometimes a sentence, maybe two. and yet he says so much, paints a fascinating character with mere gazes, pauses, body language, tone of voice, a no nonsense air... and yes, action. always sharp, focussed action; taken because he believes he needs to take them... taking responsibility for his every act in the deepest sense. never blaming another or expecting life to come and somehow get things done for him.

i do believe the actor made asr much more than anyone thought he would. he found the man within the words and dialogues... he found the parts that were not written about and filled in the blanks and by doing so he created an unforgettable man.

it was very clear in the narrative that asr loved his sister beyond a point. but why and exactly what she meant to him i think was revealed by the actor... by understanding why she mattered so much...

i was looking for mami's deadly dialogues in 43 and 44 when i saw this scene... he was a little astonished when he saw the laughter filled family scene in the kitchen, then he smiled... happy to see anjali carefree and so in love with shyam... and even as he watched, a change to a tender expression, almost a helpless one. when something is priceless to us, when we almost can't live without it... i'd imagine that's how we'd look.

when khushi had been completely broken by her father's paralytic attack, he had come running but not been able to somehow give her what she needed. he'd pondered the issue, felt extreme pain and perhaps remorse that he had failed. and the next day when unwittingly he'd made her feel helpless, he had gone back... again that smart sharp focussed action... to help in a concrete way, a way he understood... and paid all the bills. and when she had started fraying before him again... he had walked right up to her this time and consoled her the way he perhaps didn't know he could, bit this time he didn't want to fail her. he wanted to be there for her... and he was.

if i'd expected sensitivity from khushi here, can i be blamed? this was iss pyaar ko and it sparkled with inspired moments, after all.

and their hold was so binding that even after more than hundred episodes of things going strange, we still hoped. almost every episode... right up to the end, i had thought, maybe now, now at last things would take a turn and we'd get ipk back.

bhagya talk apart, the writing also veered the way of all serials. suddenly khushi has to give him the strength, give "vada" that all will be well, have "vishwas" he can do it. really? does he need all that to get things done?

instead of mahaan bharatiya naari, had they let khushi be khsuhi, she may have come up with far more valid ways to express her strength and indispensability in asr's life at this moment. 

off we went to heavy duty reentry of shyam... director is in utter love with baddie. i think this "sweetening" of the not so goodie hero is telling on the director... he needs his bad boy fix. gah, so do i so do i, mr director... and shyam doesn't even know the first thing of what makes a bad boy really bad.

shyam plunged into all his natak. while khushi said to asr, "aap jaaiye hum aapke saath hai... hum dono milkar dii ko sambhaal lenge..." you go, the two of us together will tackle everything.

huh? so now he can't even handle his sis alone? oh he needs khushi he needs khushi... she the ultimate mahaan heroine of hindi soap. all i can really say is, what the.

i needn't have worried about asr though... barun sobti made sure whatever little the writers were willing to grant him, he'd turn into gold.

while all waffled and "acted", he just went about being real... and really angry.

"how dare you!"
through clenched teeth upon seeing shyam. hand was out and grabbing a collar before anyone could say anything...

"yahan aane ki ijaazat kissne di tumhe..."
who gave you the permission to come here, he grated... "mere di ke paas aane ki himmat kaise ki tumne?" how dare you come anywhere near my di...

di is his responsibility, no one messes with that. he has been fooled once. will he be again... i think. yeah, actually, even this round, i wanted to see if even for a moment he was taken in.

one tight slap was given and i had my answer.

no, never again will this man be fooled. he is shatir, he might have been fooled once but he learns his lessons. that makes him a hero to me, a sharp one, a human one. to never err is just unreal... even gods make mistakes.

"baap hain hum..."
i am a father... wheedled shyam trying to turn the tide.

"kuchh nahin ho tum.  d'you understand that?... kuchh nahin,"
you're nothing, replied asr. hardly any words, yet each one apt... and delivered in a way, one will never forget.

"iss aadmi ka mere di par koi haq nahin hai... aaj di ka jo halat hai woh sirf  inki wajah se hai..."
this man has no right over my sister... if my di is in thsi state today it's because of him and him alone... he told his rather irritating and obnoxious grandmother.

he beat up shyam despite all the drama from dadi and khushi's frankly not at all understandable "don't do it" looks.

"jab tak main zinda hoon, yeh insaan mere ghar mein kabhi kadam nahin rakhega..."
as long as i am alive this man will not enter my home. i wanted to maaro seetee and hug the chap. of course, his own lover will betray him and then he will have to apologise... ah well.

but for now... yay asr, way to go.

my smart man can sense a game.

he strides into his di's room, a purpose propels him, he is no longer falling apart and unsure. meaning... it always centres him.

he has found the meaning in this moment. his duty. he needs something to focus on too... di must go home. shyam might get here without anyone's permission.

of course, he has no idea his sister herself has already started cheating and lying about shyam.

ah, i feel for this man.

and i am touched by his open large mind, when he holds nothing against khushi and anjali even after knowing what they've done.

"koi bhi, and i mean it... koi bhi shyam ko iss ghar mein wapas laane ka baat dobara nahin karega... and i mean it." no one, and i mean it, will speak again of bringing shyam back to this house... he tells everyone at home, glaring specifically at dadi. he possibly doesn't even remotely think khushi needs to be told this.

"never again." interestingly those are words connected with the holocaust, there was something much more than a tv soap going awry in this episode.

when he goes back into anjali's room and looks at her... again that need, that vulnerability. i wonder now, did anjali ever know how much she meant to him? and maybe because he loved her so much, he could forgive her that easily?

a new piece of music as he looks at di lying unwell and sits by her, remembering... loving...being himself.

edit:
soon after writing this, i read a piece by columnist frank bruni on higher education and its need... its contribution to growing us, in ways hard to quantify. he speaks of a teacher of his who threw all of herself into teaching "lear". her delivery of three simple words, "stay a little," words lear says to his dearest daughter cordelia as she slips away, linger in his mind and he recalls how her way of teaching let him get the maximum out of the texts...

"'Stay a little.' She showed how that simple request harbored such grand anguish, capturing a fallen king's hunger for connection and his tenuous hold on sanity and contentment. And thus she taught us how much weight a few syllables can carry, how powerful the muscle of language can be.

She demonstrated the rewards of close attention. And the way she did this " her eyes wild with fervor, her body aquiver with delight " was an encouragement of passion and a validation of the pleasure to be wrung from art. It informed all my reading from then on. It colored the way I listened to people and even watched TV.

It transformed me."

i thought of barun sobti and his asr. his way of saying the simplest of words having understood and internalised the meaning of them, their entire context and content... did touch me and maybe even transformed me. it's such a wonderful feeling to know and marvel at a character, a man who doesn't exist... takes you places; maybe even the loony bin. but i suspect it enriches you even then.

Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago
kizh72 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
What a wonderful take, Indi di. There's so much I want to say, but I think I'm not blessed with ease of words!
When did the butchering of khushi's character begin? What you see now is not the girl we saw and fell in love with. She was more like the man, actually. Something she told la around episode 80/81 comes to mind. La tells her to stay clear of ASR as he's in no mood to spare her for all the shaadi numbers she pulled. And khushi tells her what has to happen will happen, but doesn't mean one gives up trying, or doesn't have the right to try. That's the girl one misses. The darti hai par karti hai one. That girl would've told him that nobody would've done what he did for his di, and will continue to do, whether there are setbacks or not.
Why is it even after having watched enumerable times, one still feels the pull? I've to say, the visual quality of hotstar, has pulled me in again, I feel as if I'm watching ipk for the first time. I'm noticing things in both their eyes, little things, but which goes to build up a character. That scene in 43/44 you mentioned, standing far back and watching his sister being happy and feeling grateful to the man who seems to make it happen, that's why that terrace scene had so much impact.
Horizon thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: indi52

episode 332

"kyun?"

he said in that way of his as the doctor said, "i am sorry" a couple of times.
the way he stood, the way he sounded, the way his anger spiralled, it was real.

"sorry kyun?" why are you sorry, he snapped, anger mounting.

anger, perhaps to shield his immense fear.

was di dead? yes, i think that was his worst fear. and he has had his worst fear, perhaps not even an articulated one, come true once. his whole being is ready for the blow...

"what the hell are you saying dammit!... say something!" he yelled finally, leaning forward, body utterly tense... the doctor almost cringed at the fury.

i should have felt terribly sorry for anjali as she walked on glass and got violently molested by her husband in the most hideous way, losing her baby. yet, the one i felt terrible for was one arnav singh raizada.

mind you, he does not exist in the dimensions we seek existence.

also he is now part of a story which is coming undone. and maybe that's why i coudn't feel for his sister as much i ought to have. i actually felt much worse for her on the day she found out the truth about her husband and couldn't face it.
i hated the entire killing of a child story. unnecessary. almost heinous. if shyam is rotten, does not mean his child has to be killed... a good story teller would never ever have done that. this is the challenge of the story... that was the sick easy way out.

i, of course, did not connect to this at all.

yet i felt sad for a man who is but only a character in a tv serial.

he lives somewhere... he speaks of the human struggle... of loss, of duty, of pain, sorrow, courage, relentless battle... and love.

he had dared to smile moments before... let go of his inhibitions and hug the girl who made him feel again, hope again, dance again. he had nuzzled and and carressed her, held her in his arms before everyone. just being happy.

an uncomplicated simple happy.

a happy taken from him when he was just a child.

and it was as if the furies had got wind of it and come like raving banshees through a monstrous medium called shyam and struck at that simple happy smile.

the first time i saw this episode, i'd wondered shocked and gobsmacked, was their a comment on the rightness of one's actions here?

arnav singh raizada had forced a woman to do his bidding one night in order to mainly save this very child. yes, he had done so because of a terrible misunderstanding, because his mind had been shattered by that, his heart in disarray, amid that he had heard, "tum mama banne wale ho," you're going to be an uncle... and his entire being had reoriented and gathered around a notion of duty... that duty could have been perhaps discharged in many ways, but he chose to hurt the one who hurt him... thinking she was rotten to the core, yet not being able to let go.

complex.

yes, it was all about his love.

and yet, he had not done right by a human being.

that death of a child, was it somewhere an illustration that wrong action, no matter what prompts it, doesn't ultimately yield results?

i don't know if that is the case, though... i just know how i felt for asr... and how totally merged with asr his actor was in these moments. from that happiness... to the beaten look of loss... that anger... and when he heard the child was gone, i wondered if he was saddened and horrified but breathing still... because di was alive.

i also wondered what would have happened to this beautiful man if his di were the one to have gone and the baby was still alive... or worse, if both died this episode...

because really in life anything can happen... and the more you get up and fight it off, the more life seems to want to test you.

there was a lot of red all around... in the hospital, the scenes were shot in sets used repeatedly in serials, but they did have a certain poise. the deliberate contrast of exuberant joy at the beginning with abject horror and tragedy straight after was well handled i felt. i found sanaya irani's emoting a trifle stilted. nani and mami touched me.

but really, i could only see and feel for that man who doesn't exist and always matters, impacts, inspires.

Inspiring, striking, stirring... he was always...that very much transcended the fictionality he resided in...

Your write up started on that perfect note of that "kyon" "why"... as he sought answers to the irrational, implausible stuff around...he always did .. as i saw him as a perfectionist.. his rather impatience, frustrations at these times when the pendulum  heavily swings to imperfections...

his always relatable pain... as he never really imbued himself in unrealistic dreams or demands.. he may be grossly wrong in judging/ or punishing Khushi that night.. but something utterly wrong did happen that night...that  his Di's world did come crashing down ..what all he did/ didn't do for this one life that was brutally murdered..

actually I felt more for that helpless little life in this episode than anyone else.. cant agree more about it being  heinous...the child  a scapegoat of the depravity and inadequacies of its parents.. I found the episode very very disturbing.. wondered why it was not censored..a kiss is untelecastable  but a fully , pregnant woman succumbing to violent pain is not...who wants to watch this? i never really did fully ..you are so right a good writer would have found a nice alternative...but this is the week writers from the so called acclaimed league on tv came down to our show.

Khushi's was only minor role here i thought...cant bring to think what he would done/ felt had Di been killed..
very nice edits.. the nuzzling and the anguish..

Horizon thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

episode 333

back in episode 254, nani had said chhotey can't bear it if someone he loves is hurting and he can't do anything about it. he starts hurting himself. 

today, his beloved sister is in unimaginable pain... and he can do nothing about it.

in no time, he has taken the entire responsibility for this tragedy and said the words that honestly made me empathise with him so much, i could feel myself getting pretty emotional.

good acting, always beautiful.

"kya hua hai, koi humey bataaga kya baat hai..."
"what's the matter, will someone tell me what is the matter?"

honestly, i found the entire anjali in her cabin with weeping family members all around extremely melodramatic and hindi soap. not my thing. and i am used to much better direction in ipk. this seems to be another let's get trp moment.

however that bit, where no one is being able to tell her exactly what's the matter and she is asking again and again... from personal experience, yeah, this can happen... and it is puzzling, crazy making, unreal.

and the moment when at last we say, tragedy did occur... in a way always unreal perhaps. because we rarely factor horror in, in a realistic way, into our lives. especially, the completely unexpected tragedies.

even then, it all felt like gross disrespect of audience. and achhi bahu stepping in... "di," tears streaming down cheeks, good girl look on, hand on di's cheek, "samajhne ki koshish kijiye?" try and understand...

huh?

what happened to anjali's mami and nani? suddenly we have khushi in mode saviour... a girl who has never even been to bed with a guy, has nooo idea of what it is to conceive, carry a child, nothing, thinks she should tell a mother who has lost her baby, try and understand..

hmm, severe loss of writing beans.

i will suttupiya kar leo.

"bakwas band kijiye, khushi ji" stop talking nonsense, admonishes anjali, my mind says, "exactly,", before i can stop it. 

anjali looks at the door... her mainstay, her brother, the boy who showed himmat when the whole world crashed, stands there... she only trusts him. and a bhram, the biggest "galat faimi" of her life, her illusion... shyam ji. he who doesn't exist... at all. 

and there in her brother's eyes, in his tears, is a truth she can't deny.

she has to take note... a feeling begins to come to life... a sheen of tears springs and covers the eyes...

a tear falls.

a hand approaches the place where only a woman knows what is treasured and lived with...

anjali hugs her baby who is no more.

her brother watches his di, aap meri duniya ho, aap sab kuch ho, lose her world.

life will not spare you... especially if it knows you are strong, you are one with courage, you will fight on.

at last anjali howls and cries for her child...

and why am i, despite my complete nahiin to the story and the melodrama, almost close to tears?

tragedy... i guess, because it does come in life; and in another's tragedy, even if in a story, one feels one's own. resonance, identification, stuff of which great stories are made.

he watched his hi sister's meltdown...

a hand moved toward the door... he gripped the handle, he wanted to go in... he remembered "nahin chahiye hume yeh bachcha,"  "di, main hamesha hoon na..." "koi nahin hai!!"... I don't want the baby, I am always there, no one's there... all the hell his sister has been going through... really utter hell.

he retracted his hand... he couldn't go in.

suddenly an insensitive hand threw in a spadeful of platitudes at this point. khushi lectured a man going to pieces. this too happens... has happened to me. but must you reduce your beautiful heroine to this? she of all people would feel his feelings, be in rhythm with him, she can talk to him through the stars, dammit.

where are the writers of this show? why is the new writer being allowed to do this? not a single thought for what has been created.

in advertising, when new creatives come to work on an established brand, oh the amount of work that goes into making sure, no false note creeps in and harms the image, the feel, of something.

asr khushi.

does the new writer even know what this means... to people around the world... people still celebrating their anniversary, their teri meri, their first kiss, their almost kiss two years after the show has ceased to be.

manorama with her "bahar nahin jaibe!" felt more real.

of course, instantly dadi starts about shyam... the writers have worked hard to devise this re-entry of shyams' so that is all that matters.

only asr remains real through all of this and to an extent... anjali... and that vital relationship. if she needs him, he needs her just as much... to live. a sensitive khushi had realized this a long time ago, watching a brother and sister reunite in a temple. when she couldn't tell asr about shyam straight after realizing the truth even though she so wanted to, it was because she instinctively knew how essential di was to this man whom she seemed to have feelings for though she never meant to.

"vada kiya tha maine di se ki hamesha unhen protect karoonga... kuchh nahin kar paya mein... bloody failure. i tried, khushi. bahut... bahut koshish ki maine... har baar nakaam raha main..."

"i'd promised di i'd always protect her... won't let anything happen... bloody failure... i tried, khushi... tried very hard... i was unsuccessful every time"

that "had baar" rang a sad knell... he feels khushi's tears every time and he fails with protecting his sis every time... so he feels.

khushi tries to say that is not the case and the straight shooter calmly states, 

"no khushi, yahi sach hai..."
no, khushi, this is the truth.

asr never runs away from any truth. i have a lot of regard for this character. he is presented as blighted, dark... going toward light... a romantic hero, almost a type at one level. the story telling illuminates these features amply, but his dialogues and the acting gives us traits that go beyond... makes him far more complex and almost impossible to neatly label.

i see a full human being with a boldness, a sense of justice and a view of life that is beautiful. no fudging. see a thing for what it is. call it by its name. don't hide behind excuses... and yes, be a little hard on yourself. expect more of yourself. i feel this is what makes people reach up, nothing wrong with it if you don't become judgmental of yourself beyond reasonable limit. 

"uss raat bhi main kuchh nahin kar paya tha jab mere aur di ke saath woh haadsa hua" that night too i couldn't do a thing...

a memory that is never far storms through him.

at last we see a bit more of that memory. a boy running up desperately to stop tragedy... alas, that's not to be. the story of the other woman tumbles out, the whole "woh aurat" story... would asr talk so much in this state, i wonder.

maybe.

what is certain is that the entire story has been sort of changed. the new scenes are shot with a different boy.

i know i keep saying they changed the story... we keep thinking there was a clear story all through. but that is possibly not right. i have learned over these years, in the soap world there is hardly ever a concrete tale. everything changes according to trp. sometimes they can pull it off, sometimes not. a premise is perhaps the only thing that producers stay true to... sometimes not even that. here they were willing to kill asr and let khushi fall for someone else.

given this brutal "market" attitude, it's  a miracle anything survived and i am still here.
chhota tha par maine himmat ki..."
i was young but i showed courage.. another thing in this young man i admire. 

"socha di ko meri zaroorat hai... aur di ko kaha ki, di sab theek ho jaayga... main sab kuch theek kar doonga... hum phir khush honge.. but here i am... i failed dammit... phir se wohi sab ho raha hai, khushi... main kuch nahin kar paya, khushi.."

heartbreaking really... he had thought di needed him... told his di, all will be well.. he would make it all okay... they'd be happy... but here he is...

a failure dammit.

it's all happening again...

this was suddenly insightful writing. the sense of tragedy was seeded too young in asr, now it is perhaps part of him... some part of him perhaps dreads a return and now he feels it's all happening again. in a way it is. his bro in law is a cheat like his dad... and as a result... there has been a death already.

i can almost feel his terror rising.

"jab di thodi khush ho jati hai mujhe lagta hai sab theek ho gaya... i don't know why everything just goes away..."

perhaps this episode's most touching and telling words... when di was a little happy he would think all was well.

i could suddenly feel his whole world rock and shatter at age fourteen and ever since a human being trying hard to find stability, feel all is well. there is a memory of chaos locked in him, almost permanently... felt real, believable.
easy to judge him because he stands up and defies fate, but when i feel that shaken turbulent stricken young boy i just so admire the route he took to make things work again... and i felt his tenderness, his need to feel yes, he is fine, to be cuddled and soothed and protected... he too had that need. I wished khushi being sensitive would feel that and just give him that, nothing else.

Indi,
Beautifully described the bro- sis dynamics and caught very well the horror of unexpected tragedies...and its effect on the survivors...a recurring tragic theme is always very scary.. the eeriness of the it for the siblings, esp him as he is already aware of Shyam's culpability in it similar to his dad's, such a somber moment given the gravity or even to the inhuman levels to which a husband/ father can unbelievably stoop.. amidst this tragedy, that in purple had me in splits.. nail on the head.. unfortunately in a continuous rush to glorify the heroine to almost omnipotent levels in some regards, attention to basic details is missed..
Khushi didn't seem too insensitive there while he poured his heart.. a shoulder what he needed that minute.. altho i didn't have  too many issues with her dress for the mehendi per se it looked very inappropriate for a hospital setting, if writers planned for this before hand, they should have given her some thing that covered her a little more... (i know you and ami always complained about it)

asr's confession to being a failure..his tendency or ability to accept realities.. no stones left unturned...
In the 9/11 commission hearings here in 2004, Richard Clarke, a then National Security chief, bravely said  "I failed you" and apologized to all victim families.. an open admission always appreciable... .. post all the IPK and mud slinging drama, as some one deeply troubled by it, ... I waited/ wanted  some one to confess " I failed you"... some one to have the guts and conscience admit to bloody failures...becos as u said up above there are still celebrations for all the important milestones of this non existent couple...

indi52 thumbnail

Originally posted by: kizh72

What a wonderful take, Indi di. There's so much I want to say, but I think I'm not blessed with ease of words!
When did the butchering of khushi's character begin? What you see now is not the girl we saw and fell in love with. She was more like the man, actually. Something she told la around episode 80/81 comes to mind. La tells her to stay clear of ASR as he's in no mood to spare her for all the shaadi numbers she pulled. And khushi tells her what has to happen will happen, but doesn't mean one gives up trying, or doesn't have the right to try. That's the girl one misses. The darti hai par karti hai one. That girl would've told him that nobody would've done what he did for his di, and will continue to do, whether there are setbacks or not.
Why is it even after having watched enumerable times, one still feels the pull? I've to say, the visual quality of hotstar, has pulled me in again, I feel as if I'm watching ipk for the first time. I'm noticing things in both their eyes, little things, but which goes to build up a character. That scene in 43/44 you mentioned, standing far back and watching his sister being happy and feeling grateful to the man who seems to make it happen, that's why that terrace scene had so much impact.

thanks, kizh,

i totally agree about the hotstar quality. it makes you see things you might have missed earlier... and the clarity makes everything even more gorgeous... you can see irises and their every little move and glint.

that scene in 43 was always beautiful... also the one before it where he is leaning against a pillar watching di with her husband, radiant and happy. but this time i noticed that sudden change to a vulnerable expression, a hunger in his gaze as he stood there. uff. you're right, the terrace becomes almost entirely comprehensible when you see such scenes. but imagine the skill of the creatives and actors that you recall things you've scene in 43, 42, 64, 65, 35 (or so, when he leaves ar and comes to take a look at di who is not too well thanks to her fasting)
etc., months later when the terrace strikes in the mid 180s.

khushi was clear headed, bold and more karti hai than darti hai... shame they gagged and tied her to the ridiculous and suffocating character sketch our patriarchal just plain galat soap formula has devised for the heroine.

Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago
kizh72 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

thanks, kizh,

i totally agree about the hotstar quality. it makes you see things you might have missed earlier... and the clarity makes everything even more gorgeous... you can see irises and their every little move and glint.

that scene in 43 was always beautiful... also the one before it where he is leaning against a pillar watching di with her husband, radiant and happy. but this time i noticed that sudden change to a vulnerable expression, a hunger in his gaze as he stood there. uff. you're right, the terrace becomes almost entirely comprehensible when you see such scenes. but imagine the skill of the creatives and actors that you recall things you've scene in 43, 42, 64, 65, 35 (or so, when he leaves ar and comes to take a look at di who is not too well thanks to her fasting)
etc., months later when the terrace strikes in the mid 180s.

khushi was clear headed, bold and more karti hai than darti hai... shame they gagged and tied her to the ridiculous and suffocating character sketch our patriarchal just plain galat soap formula has devised for the heroine.

Watching his di and jeejaji renewing their vows. Yes, there's a vulnerability, does he some where want that for himself? Shyam's shenanigans seem even more vile, I couldn't bear to watch the way he is with khushi's bauji. Even though, we were all grossed out by it, killing his own child does not come as a surprise. Anything to get his way, in the early episodes even if khushi has to suffer, his supposedly object of interest.
There's a step motherly treatment towards khushi's character starting with shyam's exposure I felt. How come her family does not think of her? Buaji bemoans that her eyes were fooled, but what about all the bullying of her niece? One feels for this character as if she's real and not fictional.
You're right about the hotstar quality. And those eyes, don't think I've seen more beautiful ones, and you know which ones I'm talking about, don't you?!😆
Crazy4IPK thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

episode 331

he saw her dori was coming undone...

he played with her, held her in his arms, pulled her in.

"chhoriye, hume chhoriye," she demurred, perhaps thanks to force of habit. they were in a public place virtually and the man in a brown suit looking rather princely was asking her to do things she was so wanting to do willing to do perhaps even waiting to do a la eliza dolittle's father,  yet, how to? ladki you are, sharam you must have... besharmi is the exclusive right of the laad governor.

"really?" he murmurred provocatively. if anyone knew kkg's heart and mind it was possibly this man... only him.

a rabba vey took the moment on a dizzy trip, an intimate possessive moment, bodies intimately nestling against each other.

his hand moved to her hip, just where her lehenga's waistband sat and pushed slightly, turning her around.

his hand reached a place she had no notion it had reached and brushed against her mehendi... and took his share. there is no separation perhaps in this love, no yours and mine... he would not put mehendi he'd said and then decided otherwise... once he'd casually picked her dupatta and rubbed haldi off his face, leaving her marked perhaps, today he wants her to mark him it seemed... something so sensuous and giving in that gesture at once...

maybe it was not there in the idea, but more in the acting... might have been just sensuous otherwise, not such a sexy surrender.

she was losing it in the meanwhile. one of those rare occasions when we'll see khushi come undone at the nearness of this man, his compelling sexuality managing to penetrate her perennial happy sweet girl demeanour... making her feel like a woman, go a little crazy, crave, shiver all over, forget her to do list for a moment, just give in to him.

such a man woman moment and explored with such grace. again i have to wonder at the chemistry that is so touched by light joy gripping excitement absolutely enchanting and absorbing, arousing yet without a single streak of darkness or something sort of sleazy embarrassing it is... never seen this kind of sexually explosive chemistry without a trace of the unwholesome.

it's a rare thing... please smart producer, grab it and use it in your next film, telefilm, whatever.

with absolute concentration, the man who had snapped her dori once, in a secluded room when they were utter strangers, tied her dori slowly, making sure it was secure... shielding her with his body.

something had pulled at him when that dori had come apart and pearls had scattered and a girl had flung her hair over her back to hide her body, looked back at him with tears in her eyes... maybe something in him yearned to set that right every day, in whatever way possible... he wasn't  a brute, an egregious monster, the moment had made him so, for all that had lain torn in him she had touched and yanked hard at... without knowing... without ever meaning to.

the mehendi soothes him perhaps, tells him with its saffron touch, a hurt ends, colour returns... reminded me of the day he had given her a bindi and all the dhakdhak... always a little game a little winning in his moves...

when she would have walked away he held up his hand, his head down just a little, like a little boy showing what he has done... a plea in his eyes maybe? why did i think of the day he held the payal up and showed her by the poolside... something so very touching in his expressions, then and now... it seemed to say, all of me... take all of me...

a little mark of mehendi sat on his left palm. her mehendi.

she had said no to his embrace earlier, her mehendi might get spoilt... but now she had to run to him and hug him close, happiness in her eyes, her smile, her heart.

were there tears in his eyes...

a chance at happiness for a man who had lost all sense of it when he was  a mere boy.

bit by bit a heart healed and hoped again, tried to believe... but would life leave asr unbroken this time?

unaware though wary of the deceit around him, he danced... giving in to her and nk's persuasion... of course he might have seen danger lurking in his home right before all, but right then an old ipk devise, lights out, came calling and he never saw shyam... neither did dadi see garima... a foolish hide and seek and one whose consequences would be horrific continued.

she is handicapped, she is pregnant... her own husband is going to smite her... a sadness mills around me... what was this, was this even necessary?

a delightful interlude with bua ji and nk had started the episode.

"bahut sarmate ho tum nand kissore..." bua ji had yelled at the quaking nk, you are too shy. he of course couldn't control those visions of bua and he about to tie the knot, she in her fancy white wedding gown...

"abhi se gala sookhne laga beha ke naam pe!" your throat has started getting dry already at the thought of marriage, she teased in her loud bua way... the thought of what is to come in 332 freezes my brain, nk's horror film is about to start.

nice read. all the lines I marked blue stood out for me.
I really liked your take on the dori tying scene. it was absolutely sublime. Barun's expression, their oozing chemistry made the scene so beautiful. Really why nobody is casting them together! or for any strange reason they can't act together! Don't know the reason. but nobody can deny that there is no other Jodi like Barun-Sanaya. they are impossibly sexy and perfect together.
garima and dadi's hide and seek game was ridiculous and nonsensical. Strange thing is nobody even noticed this too.

Did you see my reply on your 330? It's on previous thread.
please keep pming me all of your take.
indi52 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Horizon

Inspiring, striking, stirring... he was always...that very much transcended the fictionality he resided in...

Your write up started on that perfect note of that "kyon" "why"... as he sought answers to the irrational, implausible stuff around...he always did .. as i saw him as a perfectionist.. his rather impatience, frustrations at these times when the pendulum  heavily swings to imperfections...

isn't it wonderful how much we felt we could read in his short crisp non-verbose dialogues. not a single line is wasted... everything works hard and creates a character.

his always relatable pain... as he never really imbued himself in unrealistic dreams or demands.. he may be grossly wrong in judging/ or punishing Khushi that night.. but something utterly wrong did happen that night...that  his Di's world did come crashing down ..what all he did/ didn't do for this one life that was brutally murdered..

actually I felt more for that helpless little life in this episode than anyone else.. cant agree more about it being  heinous...the child  a scapegoat of the depravity and inadequacies of its parents.. I found the episode very very disturbing.. wondered why it was not censored..a kiss is untelecastable  but a fully , pregnant woman succumbing to violent pain is not...who wants to watch this? a society that values women and doesn't just see her as an object would have had a censor board with those sensibilities. star plus and other channels go shutting down fans throwing their intellectual property rights at us... i sometimes wonder about our rights vis a vis these channels. they show anything everything utterly terrible things and nonsense and regressive rubbish... with utter impugnity. i wonder if we whose viewership is essential to their survival would ever matter.

i never really did fully ..you are so right a good writer would have found a nice alternative...but this is the week writers from the so called acclaimed league on tv came down to our show.

Khushi's was only minor role here i thought...cant bring to think what he would done/ felt had Di been killed..
very nice edits.. the nuzzling and the anguish..

thanks so much, indu...

these are difficult episodes yet there are glimpses of compelling human drama... that "kyun?" i thought it had a bottled up fear exploding in it. did he fear di had gone? and yes, what if she had...

this killing of a child... unconscionable.

barun always added nuances to asr through his delivery of dialogues, his body language that left me soaked in a character's fears and feelings and slightly breathless

indi52 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Horizon

Indi,
Beautifully described the bro- sis dynamics and caught very well the horror of unexpected tragedies...and its effect on the survivors...a recurring tragic theme is always very scary.. the eeriness of the it for the siblings, esp him as he is already aware of Shyam's culpability in it similar to his dad's, such a somber moment given the gravity or even to the inhuman levels to which a husband/ father can unbelievably stoop..

thanks so much.

amidst this tragedy, that in purple had me in splits.. teehee, it was ridiculous nail on the head.. unfortunately in a continuous rush to glorify the heroine to almost omnipotent levels this is especially disgusting because in reality what is being done in our serials is corralling and binding of women... making us believe we are here only to serve society, some mythical parivaar and parampara... that we have no real place as individuals with our own needs desires thoughts... which is why khushi had to be made achhi bahu. give the girls a feel good idea of omnipotence, then use them to keep a patriarchal feudal society going. enrages me this conning. why the hell should the woman have to solve all the probs of a family? and why should a woman even wish to be this unreal know all generic stepford wife... where is khushi with her jalebi love and her fears and can-do-ness, her impulsive actions, her fairly sharp mind... would khushi ever bring back shyam? no, she knows how dangerous this man is... and that too without telling asr? how obnoxious... and yet, he must apologise because the woman is being glorified now... for trp and more sickening things.

in some regards, attention to basic details is missed..
Khushi didn't seem too insensitive there while he poured his heart.. a shoulder what he needed that minute.. altho i didn't have  too many issues with her dress for the mehendi per se it looked very inappropriate for a hospital setting, if writers planned for this before hand, they should have given her some thing that covered her a little more... (i know you and ami always complained about it)

asr's confession to being a failure..his tendency or ability to accept realities.. no stones left unturned...
In the 9/11 commission hearings here in 2004, Richard Clarke, a then National Security chief, bravely said  "I failed you" and apologized to all victim families.. an open admission always appreciable... .. post all the IPK and mud slinging drama, as some one deeply troubled by it, ... I waited/ wanted  some one to confess " I failed you"... some one to have the guts and conscience admit to bloody failures...becos as u said up above there are still celebrations for all the important milestones of this non existent couple...

thanks, indu... lots of blue rage up there. i wonder how asr remained a man worth knowing more about. they kept hacking away at him, yet barun held on... that's the feeling i get. right now, the balance is being readjusted, asr being toned down and khushi being raised and held aloft... tricky times. given that, salaam to barun. also sanaya, for not completely losing it.

indi52 thumbnail

Originally posted by: sohara

nice read. all the lines I marked blue stood out for me.
I really liked your take on the dori tying scene. it was absolutely sublime. thanks so much.

Barun's expression, their oozing chemistry made the scene so beautiful. Really why nobody is casting them together! or for any strange reason they can't act together! i really can't understand this, so...

Don't know the reason. but nobody can deny that there is no other Jodi like Barun-Sanaya. they are impossibly sexy and perfect together.
garima and dadi's hide and seek game was ridiculous and nonsensical. Strange thing is nobody even noticed this too.

Did you see my reply on your 330? It's on previous thread.
please keep pming me all of your take.

hi sohara, thanks so much... i think i saw your note on 330... didn't i reply? lemme check. sweet of you to read and looking forward to your thoughts.