ibelieveinpink thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

I remember laughing out loud the first time I watched the music video for "Sheila Ki Jawani." I remember being taken aback by Katrina Kaif - per usual a paragon of all things sexy - thrusting herself at me with her midriff and cleavage and legs deliberately bared, while simultaneously telling me, emphatically and with no room for doubt, that she knows I want it but I'm never gonna get it. I'm never gonna get her body. I remember delightedly grappling with the cognitive dissonance Sheila created, her tongue firmly in cheek.

"Main tere haath na aani" sounded to me like an empowering and explicit withholding of consent. And to see it sung by a scantily clad, pelvic-thrusting woman was to be told: Look, I can be as overtly sexual and "immodest" as I want to and still not grant you any further physical permissions.

I remember getting predictably addicted to the criminally catchy tune, but remaining pleasantly surprised by the very, very progressive message I perceived: Sheila will allow you some access to her body. Sheila will flaunt her body. Sheila will be totally thrilled for you to look at her body. But anything you do with Sheila's body will be decidedly, nonnegotiably on Sheila's terms. Don't even think about assuming otherwise.

Article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/tere-haath-kabhi-na-aani?utm_term=1kcx19o#1rce69k

I thought this was a very interesting observation. The whole argument about agency and a woman's right to project and withhold from men and the world what she wants. B/c at the end of the day it's her choice. There's more to the article about banning item numbers doesn't really solve anything--there needs to be a change in the way people think and Kiran Bedi's objections to Deepika's stance, etc. But focusing on only this tidbit: Wow! I love how the writer points out that it's Sheila's CHOICE, despite all the overtly sexual moves and what's she's wearing--she ain't no one's hoe...she's her own woman and she gets to decide. A key word here that so many people forget. I don't know if the lyricist did this on purpose or it just worked out this way, but the writer of this post make a smart point by using a relevant pop culture reference. Maybe it's a stretch, but it got me thinking.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Meherbaan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
TBH this is the item number I truly love because it is completely different than the rest!
for the first time we got an item number which is all about LOVING YOURSELF and I truly support that ❤️

The lyrics were awesome, it's the only item number about being priceless, no man deserves you, you are enough to make yourself feel special, take that in any way you want orgasm, self-respect etc.

You can wear what you want, you know your body is sexy and you know everyone wants it but no one can get it without your permission👏
I don't care about cars, house, money...I am enough for myself to make me feel special 
Edited by Meherbaan - 9 years ago
ibelieveinpink thumbnail
@Crystal: I actually never dissected the lyrics more b/c of the picturizaition, but this poster made a lot of good points. I literally was like WHOA!! But yeah I think when the choreography is so sexual and the song is so sexy people can't look past that. 
Meherbaan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ibelieveinpink

@Crystal: I actually never dissected the lyrics more b/c of the picturizaition, but this poster made a lot of good points. I literally was like WHOA!! But yeah I think when the choreography is so sexual and the song is so sexy people can't look past that. 

Yup that's normal Hetu.

goes for all item numbers when you have a seductress who is showing a sexy body and doing hot moves then your focus will be on that and simply dancing to the song that's why many also do not notice when a song they singing got cheap lyrics like chikni, fevicol,munni etc.

same goes for sheila everyone simply noticed the video and started dancing to the catchy song, some sheila women got offended because people called them "sexy sheila" after the song but the lyrics got a lot of depth and a lot of meaning, it's nice that we also have such an item number which is quiet different than the rest which is all about "eat me like chicken with alcohol" "I will play with horny men"...
misshypocrite thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
WOW. Originally no one got past Katrina's sexy look and dance, but if you actually pay attention to the lyrics, then YES, this song clearly states , hey I'm hot, you can look at me, I'm too sexy for you, but you're never gonna get me.

What is feminism to some, KLPD to others.

Who wrote this anyway? Vishal Dadlani's (The lyricist) friend? 

solembaum thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Yeah I did notice that the song was about tempting, but telling them that you can see , but cant have it... and in that sense it is quite different... 
@Crystal - she does nto say she does nto want house , cars etc... she says paisa, gaadi, bangala, ghar  I need a man who can gimme all that... jebein khaali phatichar .. no no I dont like ti like that... and then the guy says chal yahaan se nikal tujhe sab laa dunga...

of course that still says the girl is choosing a man who can give her all that she wants and not soem phatichar... but just pointing out because I thought the song said that she needs house, car etc...

please dont see this as an attempt to argue.
ibelieveinpink thumbnail

Originally posted by: NailClipper

What is feminism to some, KLPD to others.

Who wrote this anyway? Vishal Dadlani's (The lyricist) friend? 

Vishal wrote them. 

I was talking about the article.

ibelieveinpink thumbnail

Originally posted by: solembaum

Yeah I did notice that the song was about tempting, but telling them that you can see , but cant have it... and in that sense it is quite different... 

@Crystal - she does nto say she does nto want house , cars etc... she says paisa, gaadi, bangala, ghar  I need a man who can gimme all that... jebein khaali phatichar .. no no I dont like ti like that... and then the guy says chal yahaan se nikal tujhe sab laa dunga...

of course that still says the girl is choosing a man who can give her all that she wants and not soem phatichar... but just pointing out because I thought the song said that she needs house, car etc...

please dont see this as an attempt to argue.

Yeah of course there's other stuff that cna argue against that. But it's about agency and having the abilities to make those choices. If men can be greedy so can women. Feminism isn't about being a morally correct, but being able to be who you want to be. And having the option to choose and I guess in this case she wants a rich man and she will only let "her man" do whatever he wants wtih her. 😆

Oh lord! I never ever thought I'd be dissecting and over-analyzing SKJ. 🤣