Ashwini Kalsekar, Jaya Bhattacharya on playing Maham Anga

Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago

Ashwini Kalsekar

Good friends Ashwini Kalsekar and Jaya Bhattacharya are playing Maham Anga in 'Jodha Akbar 'and 'Bharat Ka Veer Putra " Maharana Pratap', respectively. Maham Anga was Akbar's wet nurse, who was treated like his own mother by the Emperor. While Ashwini entered soon after 'Jodha Akbar' started, Jaya's entry took place two months after Maharana Pratap's launch. They play the same character with the only difference being in the colour of their costume " Ashwini wears white, while Jaya is clad in grey. We talked to the two actresses about their respective tryst with history. Read on...

Ashwini Kalsekar in Jodha Akbar On her white costume: White gives a Sufi feel to my appearance. It makes Maham look like a pious, God-loving woman. It's an attempt to camouflage her true intentions. Though she is genuinely into God, when it comes to the siyaasat (throne), she has evil intentions. She wants to secure a place for her son Adham Khan. I'm glad about my look as I don't have to change frequently and spend time on makeup.

On Jaya Bhattacharya playing the same role: Jaya is a close friend and we have worked together in Suhana Safar. She is among the actors who laid the foundation for negative characters. A great actress, she speaks Urdu fluently. I am really excited to see how the two characters pan out. Both shows will try their best to put their best foot forward. In turn, the viewers will also get to see quality work. But there is no fear of competition as I don't work to compete with others.

Jaya Bhattacharya in Maharana Pratap On her grey costume: I feel the grey costume with a black border is apt for Maham Anga as she has grey shades. While she loves Akbar to death, maybe even more than her own son, she harbours intense hatred for the Rajputs. She is not royalty and hence, the de-glam look.

On Ashwini Kalsekar playing the same role: Ashwini is playing the role according to the brief she has been given. She is a brilliant actress, so her performance must be good. Maham Anga's role in Jodha Akbar is different, because in that show, Akbar is a grown-up man who marries Jodha. He has already ascended the throne and likes to take his own decisions. However, I play foster mother to a 13-year-old Akbar and prepare him for the throne. My character is more of a guide. It's a bit grey as she has issues with Akbar's biological mother, Hamida Bano, and Bahram Khan, the emperor's general and tutor.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Marathi_Mulgi thumbnail
tfs for article
read in BT
As per my opinion though both actress are from kekta's camp but ashwini's maham is loud as all characters use to in kekta mata's shows and we have only 1 epi of jaya as maham so lets see hope she will be prove best as all other MP cast
atominis thumbnail
I think both actresses are hamming in their respective shows. Ashwini is loud. Jaya's body language and expressions are loud and her voice is hissy.

The actress in JA film was the best MA till date. Was it Ila Arun?

The character may be same but essence of the role is different as age of Akbar and entire timeline are different in both shows.

I don't understand why media is hell bent on comparing the two shows!! JA is not about Akbar per se. MP is about the king and warrior and not his relationship with any single person. Their approach and time slot are all different. Where's the comparison?! 😡

IMO, MP didn't need to introduce young Akbar or focus on MA.

Khair both ladies are from Kekta camp and ham to glory in their own ways. None is better.
cherryberry293 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I liked Ella Arun in JA movie as MA.. she was BEST
and Jaya is also doing good job in MP... we haven't seen much of her in d show ( and do not wish to see more of her so soon)
rishabgosavi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
thanks for sharing manan
Moner_Radio thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
manan : thanx for sharing.