Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: -sylph-

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2">Sad that the movie dint do well, when movies like YJHD taste so much success why cant a good movie like lootera with good acting do well..</font>

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2">I hope Sonakshi at least bags the awards for this one, she has been miles ahead in terms of acting chops when compared to likes of DP, Sonam and others.</font>

If movie is even average then it can bag many awards like Black did

Box Office: Satellite rights save Lootera

Meena Iyer, TNN | Jul 10, 2013, 12.00 AM IST

Word of mouth on Vikramaditya Motwane's Lootera saw it get an average start at the ticket windows. But, the film got patronage only, we repeat only, in the very niche-class A-town multiplexes. Since the product relied more on aesthetics and less on entertainment, only the gentry indulged in it.

With a weekend collection of around '15.88 crore, Ekta Kapoor and Phantom Productions (the producers of Lootera) have been saved, because they managed a good price for this film from satellite rights. The producers officially gave out a box-office figure of '18.5 crore for the same period. Lootera cost around '33 crore with publicity and advertising. However, how much of the cost was borne by Ekta and how much was thrust onto Phantom, is ambiguous because the final settlements are yet to happen.

Balaji has reportedly managed to sell the satellite rights of four of its films — Ek Thi Daayan, Shootout At Wadala, Lootera and Once Upon A Time in Mumbaai Dobaara — for '100 crore. Hence, the box-office deficit on movies like ETD and Lootera has been adjusted, making them safe for Balaji. Incidentally, the Ranveer Singh-Sonakshi Sinha film also managed '3.50 crore from music rights and '.65 crore for home video.
Sanjay Dutt's Policegiri got an okay start in B and C centres' single screens. But the film that collected '8.75 crore in three days is considered a loss-making proposition.

Ghanchakkar crashed after the first three days. A trade source says, "This was expected. Since the opening itself was lukewarm, weak collections through the week didn't shock anyone. The massesdidn't take to this one." Collections on Raanjhanaa have become a trickle. However, it is a certified hit.

MrChatVsNorway thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
hate the indian junta ..that too being an indian 
sub_rosa thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
I watched Lootera today. The film is beautifully shot. the contrasting color palettes in the two halves, the use of natural light, the period setting, all come together to make this film a feast for the eyes.The narration and the acting are intentionally muted to give the film a very subtle and refined feel. Many of the silent scenes are very evocative. I particularly liked the tenderness with which Pakhi's attraction towards Varun is depicted in the first half. These are the reasons why the climax scene looked so incongruous to the rest of the film. It looked almost silly and it ruined the impact of the scene where the leads unburden in front of each other. 
I wish this film had a more substantial plot. Compared to Udaan, which was complex, dark and very real, this film is candy-floss, a traditional boy-meets-girl story with unidimensional characters. Yes, there are some beautiful moments in the film, but the overall experience is not quite as fulfilling as I had expected it to be.
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: sub_rosa

I watched Lootera today. The film is beautifully shot. the contrasting color palettes in the two halves, the use of natural light, the period setting, all come together to make this film a feast for the eyes.The narration and the acting are intentionally muted to give the film a very subtle and refined feel. Many of the silent scenes are very evocative. I particularly liked the tenderness with which Pakhi's attraction towards Varun is depicted in the first half. These are the reasons why the climax scene looked so incongruous to the rest of the film. It looked almost silly and it ruined the impact of the scene where the leads unburden in front of each other. 

I wish this film had a more substantial plot. Compared to Udaan, which was complex, dark and very real, this film is candy-floss, a traditional boy-meets-girl story with unidimensional characters. Yes, there are some beautiful moments in the film, but the overall experience is not quite as fulfilling as I had expected it to be.

Yes that's kind of the sum of the film...there are some beautiful moments but the overall experience is not really that fulfilling.

I think the ending was the only one they could have had given that they were building the Last Leaf references throughout...as for the unburdening...the reason it doesn't have as much impact is because of the basically thinly sketched out characterization...if more layering had been done there, then the emotional impact would have come through.

I think the first half was better...that's probably an unpopular opinion...lol but I agree with you with regards to how Pakhi's attraction towards Varun was shown in those bits...the build up there was very charmingly done...My absolute favorite scene is their first painting lesson scene...when she watches him paint and the confidence with which he paints "leaves"...Sonakshi's acting was really lovely there...apart from that also all the silent bits when she's watching him be it from the balcony of her room being charmed by his goofy banter with Dev or be it from the crack of a door in the doctor's clinic or later on the anticipation with which she waits for him in the painting lessons...these were the moments were beautifully depicted in a subtle manner...I liked how that silent sort of understanding was there b/w them in that she knew that he couldn't paint, but still asked her dad and suggested his name and he looks at her incredulously but still gives in to the demand that he teach her...it was a simmering under the surface attraction that they were both aware of but not directly acknowledging at that point.

Now post these moments had there been a better build up for Varun's character, we could invest more in the story...sadly that doesn't happen...whatever "thriller" element they were going for also largely falls flat...the second half needed more emotional depth rather than relying on the tragedy of the issue at hand.
shakti_rock thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Finally Watched Lootera in Theatre...:P
Inspite of my friend saying Its not that good...still went ahead .

Ok...first of all Its a BEAUTIFUL Movie...its lk watching a Picture being painted on Canvas ...Great Camera work...Superbb..

But ...that's it...Its only the Cinematography of the movie that's the Hero...rest nothing lk NOTHING...
Well Bollywood is full of Predictable Story...lot of movies have been made which are Predictable...bt still what matters is the Story Telling...sadly Motwane failed here...his narration in Udaan..the way Charcaters were introduced ...thier layers..ther Interactions...was something that left us FEEL for the Characters...in Lootera...I felt NOTHING...

The Narraction was NORMAL..nothing new..not at all Engaging... just having a Beautiful camera work is not enough...One need to Establish the Characters to te Audience in such a way that they connect ...sadly here there was NO CONNECTION...

No wonder..this movie is not doing well...I agree its a Goood Movie bt not that Masterpiece...as its being Promoted... 
Well I guess this EPIC ..MASTERPIECE tag really damaged the movie...ppl realy went with lot Expectations...and when they themselves dint saw that ...Dissapointment..!!!!

Edited by shakti_rock - 10 years ago
sub_rosa thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: AreYaar

Yes that's kind of the sum of the film...there are some beautiful moments but the overall experience is not really that fulfilling.

I think the ending was the only one they could have had given that they were building the Last Leaf references throughout...as for the unburdening...the reason it doesn't have as much impact is because of the basically thinly sketched out characterization...if more layering had been done there, then the emotional impact would have come through.

I think the first half was better...that's probably an unpopular opinion...lol but I agree with you with regards to how Pakhi's attraction towards Varun was shown in those bits...the build up there was very charmingly done...My absolute favorite scene is their first painting lesson scene...when she watches him paint and the confidence with which he paints "leaves"...Sonakshi's acting was really lovely there...apart from that also all the silent bits when she's watching him be it from the balcony of her room being charmed by his goofy banter with Dev or be it from the crack of a door in the doctor's clinic or later on the anticipation with which she waits for him in the painting lessons...these were the moments were beautifully depicted in a subtle manner...I liked how that silent sort of understanding was there b/w them in that she knew that he couldn't paint, but still asked her dad and suggested his name and he looks at her incredulously but still gives in to the demand that he teach her...it was a simmering under the surface attraction that they were both aware of but not directly acknowledging at that point.

Now post these moments had there been a better build up for Varun's character, we could invest more in the story...sadly that doesn't happen...whatever "thriller" element they were going for also largely falls flat...the second half needed more emotional depth rather than relying on the tragedy of the issue at hand.

The Last Leaf thing was referred to at the very onset with the story of the Bhilraja. But I find that story (TLL) way too sentimental and melodramatic. And it didn't blend with the understated tone of  Lootera. I was quite underwhelmed with the leaf-fixing scene, it looked ridiculous, like a scene from a different film. Even my friend was rolling eyes at the scene.
@Red: Also when Pakhi enters Varun's room and impersonates him...these are my favorite parts in the film.
I liked the unburdening scene...but I agree that it could have reached a different level had Varun's character been explored properly. Actually, these characters never quite engaged my emotions, and always seemed distant somehow.
Edited by sub_rosa - 10 years ago
Che.Guevara thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
LOOTERA Disappoints Big Time On Weekdays

"Lootera" is prime example of too much noise resulting in zilch. Film was making noise for exceptional ratings and growth over weekend but as we suggested in our review as well as prediction film failed to connect with masses as well as classes.

Film collected 2.05 cr nett on Tuesday which was more than 20% drop from Monday. Film has collected 23 cr nett plus in 5 days and week one will finish at 26-27 cr nett and lifetime will not be more than 30 cr nett.

Film will finish with worldwide share of 18 cr nett at best which means even ancillary income can not take it close to 33 cr budget. A big Flop!

EXOL thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: shakti_rock

Finally Watched Lootera in Theatre...:P

Inspite of my friend saying Its not that good...still went ahead .

Ok...first of all Its a BEAUTIFUL Movie...its lk watching a Picture being painted on Canvas ...Great Camera work...Superbb..

But ...that's it...Its only the Cinematography of the movie that's the Hero...rest nothing lk NOTHING...
Well Bollywood is full of Predictable Story...lot of movies have been made which are Predictable...bt still what matters is the Story Telling...sadly Motwane failed here...his narration in Udaan..the way Charcaters were introduced ...thier layers..ther Interactions...was something that left us FEEL for the Characters...in Lootera...I felt NOTHING...

The Narraction was NORMAL..nothing new..not at all Engaging... just having a Beautiful camera work is not enough...One need to Establish the Characters to te Audience in such a way that they connect ...sadly here there was NO CONNECTION...

No wonder..this movie is not doing well...I agree its a Goood Movie bt not that Masterpiece...as its being Promoted... 
Well I guess this EPIC ..MASTERPIECE tag really damaged the movie...ppl realy went with lot Expectations...and when they themselves dint saw that ...Dissapointment..!!!!

exactly how i felt...NO CONNECTION is the perfect word ..
Nkapoor3 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
watched it! liked it! both acted really well!! cried during the end sequence!!