Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mishtimoni thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: punjini

Are you sure it's not working? I tried just now again and it worked. Try again: http://www.studio-systems.com/Playback&Fastforward/PlayB ack/ 1986/November/Nove19.htm. It mentions the Kirana gharana influence on Rafi.

Yeah, I tried several times and it gives me an error message saying that the page you are trying to view has moved or does not exist anymore.. weird.. anyway, I will keep trying..thanks again..I actually found Rafi's name mentioned in a book about the different gharanas.. it listed Rafi saab as one of the accomplished disciples of Wahid Khan sahab..and also, Kirana placed utmost importance on 'sahi sur lagana', meaning always touching the perfect note, more than anything else.. that's why it's said that a kirana singer would never ever touch a single besura note.. Rafi saab was a prime exapmle of that.. and I hear Lataji also had Kirana training..
Mishtimoni thumbnail

Originally posted by: adwarakanath

Maybe he trained under both. 😕

You are right.. as far as I know, he trained under several Gurus from different Gharanas..
apparaohoare thumbnail

There have not been many original voices in the history of Hindi film music. But there have been many clones of the original voices. Some of the clones have become successful simply because there was no competition. But some clones fell by the wayside, never to be resurrected. Others, who started as clones, eventually developed their own unique voices, so not all clones will remain clones.

Here is a somewhat incomplete database of clones.
Mohd Rafi: Anwar, Shabbir Kumar, Sonu Nigam, Mohd Aziz
Lata Mangeshkar: Suman Kalyanpur, Anuradha Paudwal, Alka Yagnik
Kishore Kumar: Amit Kumar, Kumar Sanu, Abhijeet
Asha Bhonsle: Sudha Malhotra, Swananda
Manna De: None so far
Talat Mehmood: No one tried
Mukesh: Nitin Mukesh
Udit Narain: Someone from Indian Idol I am told
Hemant Kumar: Subir Sen, Dwijendranath Mukherji
Sonu Nigam: Vinit

Please take this in good spirit and humour. It is said that imitation is the best form of flattery, so the clones are actually flattering the originals.

I beg to differ.  Subir Sen and Dwijen Mukherjee are not Hemanta Mukherjee's clone.  Both of them are Rabindrasangeet Singers and have the same style of singing.  Dwijen Mukherjee is a contemporary of Hemant Kumar.

If you want to know the true clone of Hemant Kumar, then its Shivaji Chatterjee.  He was a student of Hemant Kumar.  Shivaji Chatterjee also sang in the movie 1942-A Love Story.  The song is " Yeh safar bahat hai kathin magar"

punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanks Apparaohare. You have enlightened me further. 😊
apparaohoare thumbnail

Thanks Apparaohare. You have enlightened me further. 😊

You are welcome.

soulsoup thumbnail
Ditto that. Thanks Appa - I was almost about to post that - then saw your post.

Originally posted by: apparaohoare

I beg to differ.  Subir Sen and Dwijen Mukherjee are not Hemanta Mukherjee's clone.  Both of them are Rabindrasangeet Singers and have the same style of singing.  Dwijen Mukherjee is a contemporary of Hemant Kumar.

If you want to know the true clone of Hemant Kumar, then its Shivaji Chatterjee.  He was a student of Hemant Kumar.  Shivaji Chatterjee also sang in the movie 1942-A Love Story.  The song is " Yeh safar bahat hai kathin magar"

ms04 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mishtimoni

You are right.. as far as I know, he trained under several Gurus from different Gharanas..

But bade ghulam ali khan sahab was not one of them....rafi got training from chhote ghulam ali khan sahab..
Mishtimoni thumbnail

Originally posted by: ms04

But bade ghulam ali khan sahab was not one of them....rafi got training from chhote ghulam ali khan sahab..

Yes, I too never heard about Rafi Saab being a Bade Khan Saab disciple..but I meant that he had both Kirana and Patiala training..
Edited by Mishtimoni - 18 years ago
ms04 thumbnail
hey abhi...I posted an article on rafi..in a new topic. let this thread be dedicated to clones..
Mishtimoni thumbnail

Originally posted by: ms04

Can you please tell me..Munawwar Ali Khan Sahab and Chhote Golam Ali Khan Sahab are regarded as belonging to Patiala-Kasur (I mean they are mentioned under both Patiala and Kasur) gharanas.. is it right?