Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: giggles_2005

MK is the real punjab da Puttar ..Punjini dont mistake his extra exuberance to polluting of songs ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sorry. No offence meant! I'd rather have some other Punjab da puttar. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ms04 thumbnail

Originally posted by: adwarakanath

Patiala Gharana, actually๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

His guru was the modern tansen...Ust. Bade Ghulam Ali Khan of the Patiala Gharana

Actually....AFAIK Moh Rafi never ever took any training from Ustad Bade ghulam ali khan sahab...the tansen of mughal-e-azam. He learnt from chote ghulam ali khan sahab.
Bade ghulam ali khan sahab once were sipping a cup of tea on a tea stall and chai wallah was listening to the radio and rafi song was on and he knew ustadji had a strong dislike for film music...so he tried to turn it off...but ghulam ali sahab said...rehne do..and he said "is gawaiyye se milwao zara..."
Guess what song was on..."Man tarpat hari darshan ko aaj...".

raghav64 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
MS04, that is a nice story. Pandit Jasraj once narrated another story about Bade Ghulam ali khan saab. he was listening to a song by Lata and said
"Kambakht kabhi galati se bhi besuri nahin hoti....."
ms04 thumbnail

Originally posted by: raghav64

MS04, that is a nice story. Pandit Jasraj once narrated another story about Bade Ghulam ali khan saab. he was listening to a song by Lata and said
"Kambakht kabhi galati se bhi besuri nahin hoti....."

Thanks raghavji.

ms04 thumbnail

His guru was the modern tansen...Ust. Bade Ghulam Ali Khan of the Patiala Gharana

Rafi sahab had a variety of traning from a lot of gurus. Wahid khan from Kirana Gharana was one of them.
Guess who else got traning in kirana gharana....none other than Lataji. From giving wonderful singers to giving HMV the logo with dog...kirana gharana has influenced film music a a big way.

sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

No you have a great memory. He has acted in 3 forgettable movies - Agreement, Zehreelee and Do Jasoos

And Agreement was a better movie than most dhingchyak movies you get these days

Mishtimoni thumbnail

I said that he had a distinct Kirana Gharana stamp.. As somebody already had mentioned, he trained under Abdul Wahid Khan, the nephew of Abdul Karim Khan, who was the father figure of Kirana.. and when I listen to Rafi Saab, I hear very distinct Kirana influences in his soft voice throwing..more than the Patiala influence๐Ÿ˜‰
punjini thumbnail
Hi Mishtimoni, you are absolutely right. Read this article on this link http://www.studio-systems.com/Playback&Fastforward/PlayBack/ 1986/November/Nove19.htm.

The article is really interesting! I would like to call all music buffs to read this.
Mishtimoni thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

Hi Mishtimoni, you are absolutely right. Read this article on this link http://www.studio-systems.com/Playback&Fastforward/PlayB ack/ 1986/November/Nove19.htm.

The article is really interesting! I would like to call all music buffs to read this.

Thanks a lot, Punjini. But the link seems not to work..
punjini thumbnail
Are you sure it's not working? I tried just now again and it worked. Try again: http://www.studio-systems.com/Playback&Fastforward/PlayBack/ 1986/November/Nove19.htm. It mentions the Kirana gharana influence on Rafi.