punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
There have not been many original voices in the history of Hindi film music. But there have been many clones of the original voices. Some of the clones have become successful simply because there was no competition. But some clones fell by the wayside, never to be resurrected. Others, who started as clones, eventually developed their own unique voices, so not all clones will remain clones.

Here is a somewhat incomplete database of clones.
Mohd Rafi: Anwar, Shabbir Kumar, Sonu Nigam, Mohd Aziz
Lata Mangeshkar: Suman Kalyanpur, Anuradha Paudwal, Alka Yagnik
Kishore Kumar: Amit Kumar, Kumar Sanu, Abhijeet
Asha Bhonsle: Sudha Malhotra, Swananda
Manna De: None so far
Talat Mehmood: No one tried
Mukesh: Nitin Mukesh
Udit Narain: Someone from Indian Idol I am told
Hemant Kumar: Subir Sen, Dwijendranath Mukherji
Sonu Nigam: Vinit

Please take this in good spirit and humour. It is said that imitation is the best form of flattery, so the clones are actually flattering the originals.
Edited by punjini - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

giggles_2005 thumbnail
Pls add abhijeet to the Kishore clones..but was Mahendra kapoor really a rafi clone... I think he had his own niche...
punjini thumbnail
You mean the Abhijeet who sang in 'Yes Boss'?
punjini thumbnail

Updated the list with Abhijeet.😉

simplyskud thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Agree with Abhi .... Debojeet isn't a KK clone (Kishoreda had a much deeper and powerful voice) ....

Neither do I think it's fair to put Swananda, Vinit and Debojit on the list ... else you need to include all of Indian Idol singers as well .... Rahul Vaidya is another sonu clone like Vinit .... Sandeep on II2 is a Udit narayan clone and so on ....

😉
punjini thumbnail

Originally posted by: adwarakanath

Punjiniji, with due respect -

1) MK wasn't a Rafi clone. He had a distinct voice
2) Vinit isn't a Rafi clone, he's a Sonu clone
3) Debojit definitely isn't a KKda clone...his voice isn't powerful enough
4) Suman Kalyanpur was a Lata-esque voiced singer. She lost out because Lata was there. She was a fantastic singer though
5) Mohd. Aziz was the most successfl clone of Rafi

Oops that makes it two people saying that MK was not a clone of Rafi. Ok I bow to the wishes of you two and put MK in a separate category. True that Vinit is a Sonu clone, so let me list Sonu separately.

I think Suman K really sounded like Lata except in the high pitches where she just couldn't match Lata. Remember "baad muddat yeh ghadi aayi" from Jahanara in which her voice gives way while singing "Aap aaye to zindagi aayee".

True that Debojit doesn't have a voice powerful enough to be called a clone of KK but KK is definitely the person he takes inspiration from.

Will update post!

punjini thumbnail

Originally posted by: simplyskud

Agree with Abhi .... Debojeet isn't a KK clone (Kishoreda had a much deeper and powerful voice) ....

Neither do I think it's fair to put Swananda, Vinit and Debojit on the list ... else you need to include all of Indian Idol singers as well .... Rahul Vaidya is another sonu clone like Vinit .... Sandeep on II2 is a Udit narayan clone and so on ....

😉

Have removed Debojeet from there because I myself wasn't convinced when I listed him in the 1st place. Since this is a SRGMP forum, it would be relevant to include the contestants, I thought. Hope it won't start a new round of abuses. 😛

giggles_2005 thumbnail

Oh Sandeep is a very besura clone of Udit. I can't understand how he is still there on II2. 🤢

Because some ppl like me love the way he smiles...awwwsome 😆

simplyskud thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Abhi ... I was only mentioning clones ... wasn't commenting on them being good or bad ....

😉

Sandeep being in the top 5 of Indian Idol proves that Indian Idol is definitely not about singing ....

😉
Qwest thumbnail

Oh Sandeep is a very besura clone of Udit. I can't understand how he is still there on II2. 🤢

Abhi ji,

Agree with you million times and having fight with my buddies on this Besura .My blood pressure goes high how he is still there and good ones are leaving. Bhalo thakun Shukha Thakun.

YALGAAR HO!!!!!!  Love ARR