•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago

Saturday, December 17, 2005

By Arindam Chatterjee

You are known for your sensitive roles. Will you be exploring new "fun-filled avenues" in your forthcoming film, Milan Luthria's Taxi No. 9211?
Milan's film certainly dwells on humorous situations but my role does not have much to do with comedy. Here, I was actually enticed by the interesting character sketch. My character is paired opposite Nana Patekar in the film. But for some reason, even John Abraham is interested in me and desperately wants something from me. Talking about my comic repertoire, I've done quite a few comic roles in both theatre and films, the most popular being Farhan Akhtar's Dil Chahta Hai.

With a plethora of critically acclaimed films behind you, do we now get to see you making a conscious shift towards mainstream movies?
Absolutely. I want to do films which can be accessible to more people. I want to reach out to the masses. I think I'm a complete performer who can dance, sing, entertain and be comfortable doing both art and mainstream cinema.

Are you happy with the way your career graph has shaped up?
I'm at a position where others would get jealous. Time and again, I've proved my mettle as an actor and I've let my performance speak for itself. I can easily juggle between a Marathi or a Gujarati film. Recently I've even completed an Italian film, Fire At My Heart with Omar Sharif. I'm quite gung-ho about my career and there is hardly any time to look back now.

You are working in M.F. Hussain's yet-to-be-titled forthcoming film. Comment.
Hussain had heard about me and his colleagues referred my name to him. I portray the main lead of a woman who plays an important part in Hussain's life.