Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago

Lord Kartikeye!

After Lord Ganesh won the divine fruit from his parents, Lord Kartikeye angrily said that he would never look at a woman again, because he felt that his mother favored her other son more. 
That's why in some maharastrian temples of him, women are not permitted to enter. 
But...he later on married two goddesses, Valli and Deivayanai

And some think that Saraswati and Lakshmi are also daughters of Shiva nd Parvati, making them sisters of him, while others do not 

I was not aware of this story. Kartikeya was no doubt angry that Ganesh tricked his way into getting the fruit and his parents happily fell for the trick, but his anger was not directed at women. (at least according to legends in Tamil Nadu) He took of his clothes, made an act of renouncing the world, and stormed his way up the Pazhani hill. After a lot of cajoling by mother Parvati who promised to give him not only mangoes but a whole lot of fruits  mixed in jaggery and honey did Kartikeya condescend to come down.

Pazhani is one of the six places sacred to Muruga, where the main neivedya is Panchamritam (the sweet dish apparently concocted by Parvati to appease her sulking son)
Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: varaali

I was not aware of this story. Kartikeya was no doubt angry that Ganesh tricked his way into getting the fruit and his parents happily fell for the trick, but his anger was not directed at women. (at least according to legends in Tamil Nadu) He took of his clothes, made an act of renouncing the world, and stormed his way up the Pazhani hill. After a lot of cajoling by mother Parvati who promised to give him not only mangoes but a whole lot of fruits  mixed in jaggery and honey did Kartikeya condescend to come down.

Pazhani is one of the six places sacred to Muruga, where the main neivedya is Panchamritam (the sweet dish apparently concocted by Parvati to appease her sulking son)

Well that was the story that I had heard.
Also found one online that was very similar to it. Although, it is not very well written and the second sentence seems a bit, um, biased and inaccurate.
http://www.shreedarshan.com/g-intelligent.htm
There's actually a big Skanda temple on top of the Parvati Hill in Pune, Maharastra along with several other temples, and women are not allowed in.
Edited by AishuJSKfan - 12 years ago
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
So I guess Shivang bhaiya gets the next question since he answered first.
:D
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Why not to do it together in team? You suggest me the character in PM and I will frame the clues or the other way round.😃 Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago
ranga.rajan thumbnail
Wonderful thread...am often missing it...😕
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Sorry for spamming but I can't resist coming in with some taalis for Varaali (lol yay for the unintended rhyme!)... those clues certainly were ingenious... entertaining as well as thought provoking 👏👏👏👏👏 Three cheers for our very own riddler!
ShivangBuch thumbnail

Here are the clues I and Aishu have set and the suggestion of character was of Aishu.

A king of the kingdom once I ruled was killed by a warrior who was killed unfairly in a war

The guy who was one of the causes of the above war was the king of the kingdom ruled by my brother's lineage

A force which worked passively and significantly in that above war for the victorious side, had played the part actively and significantly in the battle which I had fought
Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
The above question is slightly confusing, so please tell me if I understood it correctly:

A king K of the kingdom Q once I (I) ruled was killed by a warrior W who was killed unfairly in a war

The guy C who was one of the causes of the above war was the king of the kingdom Q ruled by my brother's IB lineage

A force F which worked passively and significantly in that above war for the victorious side, had played the part actively and significantly in the battle which I (I) had fought

So as I understand it
  • K was killed by W, and K is not the same as I
  • I, K, IB & C were all rulers of the same kingdom Q, albeit @ different times
  • W was unfairly killed by someone else
  • C was IB's descendant, where IB was I's brother, and therefore, C was I's nephew or nephew's descendant
  • F was I's ally or enemy
  • I was alive and fought in the same war that F contrived the victory for
Did I read all these correctly?  If not, please clarify.
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Shivang/Aishu

The first clue is not very clear. Could you rewrite it more lucidly? Maybe split it in two sentences...

Vrish's analysis left me more confused... 😕
ShivangBuch thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

The above question is slightly confusing, so please tell me if I understood it correctly:

A king K of the kingdom Q once I (I) ruled was killed by a warrior W who was killed unfairly in a war

The guy C who was one of the causes of the above war was the king of the kingdom "R" ruled by my brother's IB lineage

A force F which worked passively and significantly in that above war for the victorious side, had played the part actively and significantly in the battle which I (I) had fought

So as I understand it
  • K was killed by W, and K is not the same as I - Yes correct interpretation
  • I, K, IB & C were all rulers of the same kingdom Q, albeit @ different times - No. Two kingdoms in first two clues need not be the same (but associated kingdoms ruled by or won & then ruled by same dynasty but by two brothers separately or uncle (I) & nephew separately). Correction in your interpretation: I & K were the rulers of a kingdom Q @different times, IB lineage & C were the kings of a kingdom R @different times 
  • W was unfairly killed by someone else - Yes. Correct - by someone out of context of other clues - can be anybody it doesn't matter and doesn't affect the guessing of the answer.
  • C was IB's descendant, where IB was I's brother, and therefore, C was I's nephew or nephew's descendant - No. Correction of interpretation - C may not be the descendant of IB lineage. The dynasty may have changed over a period of time and C may be a descendant of a dynasty winning the kingdom in war from the former dynasty in between period.
  • F was I's ally or enemy - Yes. Correct.
  • I was alive and fought in the same war that F contrived the victory for - F passively helped the victory of the war mentioned in first two clues (in which K and W participated and C was the cause who may also have participated in it). The war which I had fought in the past, F participated in it actively. Two wars are different.
Did I read all these correctly?  If not, please clarify.
I have clarified but that was indeed a nice sincere effort Vrish to guess it. Brilliant way of analysing. I hope it is clear now. We also had (have) framed the same set of clues with few more elaborating words supplying more information. If you want us to post further elaboration of same clues, we will. Till then, all the best. And of course, 'I' is the answer you know.

Varaali

Clarification of first clue:

I ruled a kingdom once upon a time. A later king of the same kingdom was killed by a warrior in a war. And the warrior who killed that guy was himself later killed unfairly in that war.

In other words, my kingdom's later king was killed by a person who faced death through unfair means.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago