Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ibelieveinpink thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: preity*zinta

I think he just threw out Aishwarya's name because she is one of the ONLY bollywood actresses people would know.

Makes sense!
Miss.Colorfull thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: lensahunte08

Well I agree to some extent! Sometimes the songs can be cheesy and are eight songs sometimes needed? lol I do enjoy the songs though, when they are not cheesy and they are not ocming on every min lol. Thatz the reason why I like bollywood better than hollywood, the songs are entertaining! But I do agree that bollywood is coming up with crappy stories these days! And Like seriously Kat make it big in bollywood because she has a pretty face just shows how right Russell is! And about Aish I agree to some extent, her acting is sometime even worse than Kat in films like Doom 2 and Bride and Prejudice! I only like Aish in serious films like Devdas, JA, and Guru! In glam roles and where she has to play a bubbly character she fells flat on her face! And in Bride and Prejudice her accent was just so horrible to watch! And her acting leaves u cold! :(

My question though is this Russell guy a pure American? He does look indian! Is he half Indian? Am asking this because I leave in America, and when I usually talk to my american friends about Bollywood, they were all respectful about bollywood films! They say things like I love how bollywood films are so colorful! Usually though it's the Desi people that leave in America that I see ditching bollywood films! Most of indian americans, I met they hate bollywood and anything that has to do with it! It's like if u mention anything about Bollywood to them, they feel so ashamed about it! :(

PS of course this is just my experience with Indians that leave in USA, am sure there are ones that love bollywood!

i agree with u at the last part where u said indians r ashamed of bollywood. i have experienced it as well so i just stopped talking about bollywood with them but i still love it. my cosuisn dislike bollwyood and made fun of me just cuz i liked it. i felt really bad cuz they r full indians n they think like that but oh well. i had friends who loved bollywood n they tried to learn hindi as well n the main point they r not indians .i love the songs n the dance because it's entertaining and i can't imagine any bollywood movie without colorful songs it's just something i grew up with and can't let it go. i agree with him that bollywood had flops movies n all but i still have hope on the indian film industry that they will make gud movies n stop copying hollywood. Edited by Miss.Colorfull - 13 years ago
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: eroticlover

In Bollywood people can become superstars just by having a pretty face. " 

Agreed! That's the most important thing....look pretty, look sexy look look look! 😆 Here stars make movies.....very few movies make stars.....But it's the same everywhere (Brad Pitt e.g. or the twilight kids or Megan Fox 😆).....the only difference is the reward system....in say hollywood movies that are given oscars or actors who are respected have nothing to do with box office, look or popularity (They have MTV and Teen awards for those!). However in Bollywood the reward system rewards those who are making the most news and have the biggest box office success. Since it's the reward system gets the most publicity, Bollywood ends up looking terrible.....while we do have great actors and some really good movies these go unnoticed! The National Award sometimes picks good movies but that hardly gets any coverage (How many of us have seen Khosla Ka Ghosla? I didn't even know about the movie....I bumped into it on youtube one day and then I was WOAH! Now that's a movie! Full on entertainment yet so real!!)

What's the point in rewarding a movie that already got rewarded in box office? It would be better to award those who make good movies that don't make much noise so that they get the exposure....so people go watch those movies....maybe watch in DVD or maybe those movies can be re-released! So many times I have seen so many movies because it was nominated in the Oscars....I would have never seen them otherwise! Some of the Oscar nominated movies don't even release because they don't have that much cash for publicity so they rely on the Oscars to give them exposure.

When I go to the theater I sometimes go to have fun or go to see my favorite star but sometimes I do want to see movies that go beyond entertainment and my favorite star. But how are the desi audience supposed to know about these films if they are not given proper attention? It's not possible for some of these movies to spend crores on publicity and not everyone is Aamir Khan! Things are changing though but it will take more time.

I do like the uniqueness of Bollywood...the song and dance thing....I don't mind provided that they are situational and not random. I am glad they got rid of the background dancers though....that made no sense!
Edited by LifeOLicious - 13 years ago
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Slumdog Millionaire is a good example of a movie that nobody cared about when it released....I didn't even know about it....went to see because I read Anil kapoor was in it! But then it was getting awards after awards and then it caught people's attention and then it was released worldwide and it made money and became an overrated movie from an absolutely neglected movie in the box office when it released!
HotMess thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Yeah but all that ain't because she's necessarily a good actress. It's because she achieved fame because she was ranked "Most Beautiful Woman on Earth" <-- which I think is the stupidest poll EVER; and also because she has such a huge fan following, and since she's a Loreal model, Ms. World, etc, etc. All this don't add up to her being a good actress.

I am proud that a desi person, like Aish got to go on Oprah (Letterman I don't give two rats about, who tf watches that anymore), but seriously, it ain't necessarily 'cause she's a good actress. I was HUGE fan of her up til Devdas. Then she just disappointed me, sorry.

See, when PC came to Toronto, a lot of people from different races came too. And I talked to some of them and they were basically there 'cause they heard she was Ms. World, not 'cause they care about that she's an actress LMAO. So... Russell Peters is right, beauty gets you everywhere in Bollywood. :/
yeh beauty does not mean anything in hollywood, they dun have crap scripts, and they dun go way over the top wid their musicals! (sarcasm)
nalinidj thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
For some-one that does not watch Bollywood movies, he sure knows a lot about it.  🤣A closet Bollywood movie watcher?😲
pooja_l thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: nalinidj

For some-one that does not watch Bollywood movies, he sure knows a lot about it.  🤣A closet Bollywood movie watcher?😲

yeah if he has not seen any bolly movie then how does he know that we have so many songs and dance

jhoote jhoote 😆
he is judging a book by its cover!
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: eroticlover

"I wouldn't watch a Bollywood film even if I am at the lowest point of my life. These films have horrible stories and terrible acting. I don't know why your films have singing or dancing every other minute.   🤣 Either you are telling a story or you are not. Aishwarya Rai is the biggest example. She has proved it time and again how bad acting can do wonders.   😡  In Bollywood people can become superstars just by having a pretty face. "  Most famous quote from Russell Peters

Link?

Tens of crores of people around the world not just in India love Bollywood movies so there must be something.