Russell Peters - His thoughts on Bollywood, agree?

Posted: 13 years ago
"I wouldn't watch a Bollywood film even if I am at the lowest point of my life. These films have horrible stories and terrible acting. I don't know why your films have singing or dancing every other minute.   🤣 Either you are telling a story or you are not. Aishwarya Rai is the biggest example. She has proved it time and again how bad acting can do wonders.   😡  In Bollywood people can become superstars just by having a pretty face. "  Most famous quote from Russell Peters

To a certain extent, Russell Peters is right.  Bollywood most of the time produces junk that flops miserably.  On the other hand, Bollywood does make some good films (but it is rare).   No wonder the hit ratio is so low.  However, I don't agree with his comment on Aish.  She has done good acting in a lot of movies.  Russell Peters has been known for being controversial.  A lot of Indians are offended by his comments.  Do you agree or disagree with his comments on Bollywood?  😲

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angelic_J thumbnail
I absolutely agree with the singing and dancing parts and the fact that people become superstars just by having a pretty face. Look at Katrina Kaif - the biggest example of this😆 I also agree somewhat that most of the time they have horrible stories but that is not the case everytime so I guess I can disagree with him on that statement😆

Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Oh Russel Peters... 😆
Gotta love him! :P
Edited by Jess. - 13 years ago
HotMess thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
BAHAHAHAHA. I AGREEEE.

The songs which are used as background scores, I understand. To some extent, I can understand the club ones. The ones where the actors start imagining them in foreign countries w/ bg dancers are like wtf. But the bg dancers trend had died down, so I guess Indian movies are improving.

I agree w/ him on the Aishwarya part. She was good up til Devdas, then her acting..er.. like in Dhoom 2, she acted horrific. Provoked was good though. And people think she's so pro 'cause she has a pretty face. Katrina, Deepika & Sonam are examples. They're improving and whatnot, but people still claim to love their "acting" and how they're one of the best actresses 'cause they have pretty faces & smiles. I thought the same about Kareena until JWM. :) Now she's good.

Ash, Sona, Deeps & Kat are gorgeous, and I love them (minus Ash), but I love them for their beauty, style & charisma, not acting. LOL.
Edited by HotMess - 13 years ago
melonie thumbnail
I don't agree because I think this dance and songs make Indian cinema different from others.  Even if you take international films the stars they have also are good looking there are just few actors who are average. On the whole actors from all industries are pleasing to watch.

And this person is wrong if just my pretty face actors in bollywood would become superstars then Amisha Patel, Manisha Lamba, Shamita Shetty, Esha Deol etc  would have been in top position. Who ever are in the top position has worked hard for it mainly because nothing in this world comes free.
lol...love russell peters...wht he said is true...but im soo sick of all the so called "NRI's" saying "aaggh...i hate bollywood its soo cheesy and horrible".....so many people in my uni say tht because they think its "cool" to hate bollywood.. furthermore ur looked down upon as sum kind of wierd specimen if u say u like bollywood muvies.....we have to take everything in its own spirit!!! Bollywood is bollywood because its cheesy, because it has song and dance every minute.....thts wht gives it its identity..Id much rather Bollywood stuck to its roots rather than aping hollywood or any other film indsutry....and for the record, we all know that not all actors are bad...we do have good films...but people are just not ready to look past all the weddings and the dancing...!

Its like watching a rajnikanth muvie...everyone knows its stupid and illogical and cheesy....but why do we watch it anyway??? coz its fun and coz u cannot get this kind of entertainment anywhere in the world!Edited by smarie pants - 13 years ago
.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Well I agree to some extent! Sometimes the songs can be cheesy and are eight songs sometimes needed? lol I do enjoy the songs though, when they are not cheesy and they are not ocming on every min lol. Thatz the reason why I like bollywood better than hollywood, the songs are entertaining! But I do agree that bollywood is coming up with crappy stories these days! And Like seriously Kat make it big in bollywood because she has a pretty face just shows how right Russell is! And about Aish I agree to some extent, her acting is sometime even worse than Kat in films like Doom 2 and Bride and Prejudice! I only like Aish in serious films like Devdas, JA, and Guru! In glam roles and where she has to play a bubbly character she fells flat on her face! And in Bride and Prejudice her accent was just so horrible to watch! And her acting leaves u cold! :(

My question though is this Russell guy a pure American? He does look indian! Is he half Indian? Am asking this because I leave in America, and when I usually talk to my american friends about Bollywood, they were all respectful about bollywood films! They say things like I love how bollywood films are so colorful! Usually though it's the Desi people that leave in America that I see ditching bollywood films! Most of indian americans, I met they hate bollywood and anything that has to do with it! It's like if u mention anything about Bollywood to them, they feel so ashamed about it! :(

PS of course this is just my experience with Indians that leave in USA, am sure there are ones that love bollywood! Edited by lensahunte08 - 13 years ago
HotMess thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
...I'm not saying Bollywood is bad. I'm an "NRB" and I have enough desi & non-desi friends who love Bollywood, and I've never felt ashamed to like BW. But Bollywood is really disappointing sometimes. The song & dancing can get annoying sometimes. And there are horrible acting - not all - but there are pretty actresses & hot actors who get famous just 'cause of their pretty faces or how much their movies fare, overlooking the acting part. Oh and the lack of originality these days... :/

There are great stories and actors; but not all the time. So I agree w/ Russell to some extent.
^^ yes Bollywood is disappointing sometimes...but then which industry isnt?Hollywood, korean, french....all have their share of stupid muviess...heck even Avatar recieved so much critisism for being cheesy...no movie industry consistently churns out gr8 cinema...then why target bollywood alone??
Angelic_J thumbnail

Originally posted by: lensahunte08

My question though is this Russell guy a pure American? He does look indian! Is he half Indian? 

He is actually a Canadian of Anglo-Indian descent😛