Arre Wa Shikhar Babu , Ek aur badam halwa ho jaaye

kool di,yeh raha aapka badam ka halwa

Edited by acrewood - 13 years ago
acre thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
@varsha, thank u very much,πŸ˜ƒ
now enjoy ur badam kheer & btw i also give u the recipe of this dish,

It takes quite some will to supress one's appetite to indulge in a rich Indian sweet, be it a melt-in-the-mouth gulab jamun or bread halwa. But who can resist them? Over the past week we have been indulging ourselves with a lot of desserts ' badam kheer, biscuit cake and bread halwa to name a few of the sinful temptations as we entertained friends at home.

Bread Halwa -A rich Indian sweet preparation

Whenever there is left over bread at home, its either dried and crumbled to be used later as bread crumbs or more often than not, prepare bread halwa. Its simple to make and is a rich sweet which calls for a generous amount of sugar and ghee (clarified butter). Surely we should have the luxury of indulging ourselves, once in a while, to savor such sinful temptations!! -:)

Bite sized pieces of bread are fried in a generous amount of ghee till golden brown and then cooked in a milk, sugar and a paste of almonds and cashewnuts till soft and topped with almonds and cashews. The halwa has a rich sweet taste and can be served either warm or cold. I prefer my halwa warm as the halwa tends to be soft and has a nice mouth feel, while the cold halwa is not-so-soft as it tends to harden a bit. But the taste is heavenly either way.

Bread Halwa Recipe

Cooking Time: 30 mts

Cuisine: South Indian

Serves 6-7 persons

Ingredients:

3/4 cup ' 1 cup ghee (clarified butter)

1 loaf bread

6-8 cardamoms (elachi)

2 tbsps almonds (badam)

2 tbsps cashewnuts

1 lt milk (low fat)

1 cup sugar (increase or decrease as per your taste)

1 Tear the bread into bit sized pieces. Heat three fourth cup of ghee in a cooking vessel and add the bread pieces and fry them till they turn a golden brown.
2 Grind elachi, almonds and cashewnuts (leave a few toasted almonds and cashewnuts aside for garnish) to a fine paste.
3 Meanwhile boil the milk, add sugar and keep stirring it till it blends into the milk. Add the fried bread pieces and the remaining ghee to this mixture.
4 Let it simmer till the bread pieces turn soft and cook in the milk mixture. Combine the nuts paste. Garnish with the toasted almonds and cashewnuts.
4 Serve warm or refrigerate until chilled and serve. It tastes good both warm and cold.

Bread Halwa - Indian sweet prepared with bread, clarified ghee and sugar

koolsadhu1000 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks Shikhar babu .AApki ek kavita ho jaaye .On Badaam Halwa .
MaahiiVe thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Kool! I'm hooked onto yr commentaries since I read the last one! 😊 They're not only well-written but I love how you bring up yr point via humor. πŸ‘

I totally agree with you on multiple points, especially the one where you discussed the two-faced nature of the Karanjkars. I don't even see why Manav isn't supposed to sit at the family table! One, professional life is separate from personal, and if he came over as a worker, he should've kept to that and not helped. Given that he did help, he should have acted like the ex-sil and sat with them to eat. Secondly, why is it even an issue if someone who is employed as a worker is part of the family!?!? The personal relation formed between Manav and the Karanjkar's was completely independant of the task Manav carried out when he is at work (i.e. his profession). IMHO, it is entirely wrong to categorize / judge human beings on the basis of their profession.

And IF the justification for this was that Vaishu's in-laws would have been offended / upset to see a worker at the family table, I would have never joint a marital alliance with a such a family!

Now that I think abt it, there are multiple things abt the in-laws family that make me wonder, why on earth did they agree to get Vaishali married into a family that lives on these 'shallow', fixed, societal ideals?? I mean if you think they're not even gg to understand & sympathize abt your prob with the food, why would you think they're worth giving your daughter to?
Edited by -Maahii- - 13 years ago
..Sonii.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Oye hoye badam ka halwa??πŸ˜›
Did i miss some special occasion

OK,now i got, congrats Shikhar for becoming goldie😊
Edited by ..Sonii.. - 13 years ago
acre thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: koolsadhu1000

Thanks Shikhar babu .AApki ek kavita ho jaaye .On Badaam Halwa .

kool di
i am a romantic shayar,
so its quite difficult for me to write a kavita on badam ka halwa,
but phir bhi main koshish karta hoon,
you just wait for few days,
i will definitely write a poem on ur favorite dish,i.e badam ka halwa,
😊

..Sonii.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Kool di I had a question
Archu doesnt like to work in upperpost than Manav ( considering Manav as Ex-husband, and her love)
Is this behaviour normal or it is the case only with Archu??

MaahiiVe thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ..Sonii..

Kool di I had a question

Archu doesnt like to work in upperpost than Manav ( considering Manav as Ex-husband, and her love)
Is this behaviour normal or it is the case only with Archu??

Okay I know this is completely not addressed to me and its none of my business to be answering this question. 😳 But I saw it and had a very big urge to put something down and can't hold myself back.. Sorry? 😳

I am not sure whether its only Archu or not, but I think its really silly. I mean if the case was the opposite, Archu was working under Manav, wld Archu or Manav have felt embarassed?? Just becuz she's the female there is an unsaid rule that she should be lesser than her male partner (ex)?!? IMHO its ridiculous. I personally believe in relationships equal on all pedestals, not discriminatory wrt gender.

Of course, this is assuming they're not embarassed only because they're divorced but having to face each other..
Tulsey thumbnail
[QUOTE=koolsadhu1000]falsely . Chubby listened uneasily , alarmed . She wondered what face she will show her Marwadi samdhis when they see that Marathi people had invited 300 guests but LOST the caterers and had only RICE ,  SALAD , MITHAI in the menu .No DAL and SUBZI. She was wondering if Marwadis cud be CONNED by telling them that this is a Marathi custom ..........To serve ONLY RICE , SALAD and MITHAI on A  WEDDING DAY for reasons untold to them by their ancestors . She wondered if they wud buy it , the Marwadis .πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Kool you are hurting my cheeks..this is so funny, I can't believe what I am reading this para again and again.  Even my husband wanted to know why I was laughing and guess when I gave him a quick background and THEN read your above lines that he too started to laugh.

Vinod was staring helplessly at Bhagwan eating the Mithai with the workers too but even he did not go upto Bhagwan and make him get up and come and sit with the family . Earlier Vinod had burst into tears and fallen in Bhagwan's arms for saving the day . Now , outside he was in HELPLESS MODE . Kool Vinod is always helpless in all family affairs.

Ok a comment : Whats with all this helplessness ? Can't they just say to Jaywant , Khushwant , Balwant , whoever asks them that we Know him , and take him to the family table ? I mean the guy was an ex damaad , is still ur well wisher and just now saved ur butt in front of the happy Marwadis who wud have NOT been so happy if they were served just  RICE , SALAD and MITHAI . Huh ??? !!!  The K's were so mean, they took Manav's help but no one stood up for him to be included on the family table.  Not even Satish!

Dharmesh was asked to Fill Vaishu's maang . Now this ritual DOES NOT EXIST in marathi weddings .....I say this for the UMPTEENTH time but it seems the pundits in PR r from UTTAR PRADESH .πŸ˜ƒ Or , The Karanjkars had North Indian ancestors . Kool I think that Ekta wants to please all viewersπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Dharmu and Vaishu HAD an SR apparently .Dharmu was pterified .He was talking a lot of cute nonsense so it is SAFE to assume that Vaishu took the initiative [ AHEM } . THANK GOD DHarmu didnt sleep on the sofa like Karanjkar damaad parampara. Karanjkar damaads  Kool, our Vaishali learned not to miss this ritual....good lesson learned.  She looked so relaxed and was acting as if they had a long courtship!!!!!

MORAL OF THE STORY : BEING A KARANJKAR DAMAAD IS NOT EASY aND SO I WAS WORRIED FOR DHARMU .  Kool I have to give you a big πŸ€—as this line made me laugh so hard that I could not stop my tears.  This damaad is softy from inside and appears to be a hard nut to crack.  I would be really glad to see Vaishali ruling him.

Excellent commentary Kool....love it to my core.  You are a great writer and a comedian

Edited by Tulsey - 13 years ago
Tulsey thumbnail

Originally posted by: koolsadhu1000

Yes Soni . I am not liking it that Manav worked so much for them but no one.including Archu showed him recognition outside .They call him Bhagwan Beta and LATER say ANADAR HUA.......whats the use ?

Exactly kool, she is the first one who did the anadar