Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

No Praja knew that Rishi Vyas was called upon. It was all forgiven because of some desperate times, desperate measures clause.

G. Tum to pure bharatvarsha ko impotent kar dogi. ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ˜† harkatein hee aisee hain toh main kya karoon?

I doubt praja knew in the drama.  The writer shared this piece with us but I doubt the praja in the book knew it.  This is where MB differs from Rosemary's Baby.  In the latter - reader only knows what Rosemary knew.  This is usally not the case with most fictions.

Originally posted by: angie.4u

Lot of births in MB seem to have taken place in strange circumstances ! It wud put the modern day genetic engineers , invitro fertilizers etc to shame ! The kauravas were said to have been born as a lump & then later differentiated into the 100 kauravas ! When Gandhari had expressed her wish to have a daughter, Vyas Rishi is said to have obliged her by taking away a portion of the lump & putting it in a separate container.

Yep.  I remember that too.  I always wonder why Gandhari picked quantity over quality๐Ÿ˜†
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Yep.  I remember that too.  I always wonder why Gandhari picked quantity over quality๐Ÿ˜†

Gandhari actually gave birth to a lump of flesh after Duryodhana.

Vyasa too the lump of flesh put it in 100 jars to make the Kauravas.

Aldous Huxley's Bokanovsky process back in the days of our ancestors.

Edited by return_to_hades - 13 years ago
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

No Praja knew that Rishi Vyas was called upon. It was all forgiven because of some desperate times, desperate measures clause.

G. Tum to pure bharatvarsha ko impotent kar dogi. ๐Ÿ˜†

There was no need to forgive. There were laws in ancient India which said that a king can take the help of a blood relative or another king if he is unable to give birth to an heir.
This rule applied to brahmins also (am not sure about baishyas and sudras). Children thus born were known as khetraja (born in the field).

Originally posted by: souro

There was no need to forgive. There were laws in ancient India which said that a king can take the help of a blood relative or another king if he is unable to give birth to an heir.
This rule applied to brahmins also (am not sure about baishyas and sudras). Children thus born were known as khetraja (born in the field).

This is the first time I am hearing of such rule, Souro.  I did not know about it.  I thought such things were kept under wraps.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

This is the first time I am hearing of such rule, Souro.  I did not know about it.  I thought such things were kept under wraps.

Rules may have been made by those in power to suit themselves !
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

It was allowed. That is why Kunti and Maadri were able to invoke Gods for children when everyone knew Pandu was cursed. I call it desperate times, desperate measures clause. Why they just did not adopt - I don't know.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

It was allowed. That is why Kunti and Maadri were able to invoke Gods for children when everyone knew Pandu was cursed. I call it desperate times, desperate measures clause. Why they just did not adopt - I don't know.

Where wud they have got divine children to be adopted? Btw it does make one wonder what exactly they meant by invoking the Gods to beget children ๐Ÿค”
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

May I suggest Arthashastra. You will find many such laws. A strange law - it was punishable offence if someone was found making out with the pictures, statues or carvings of goddesses. Some perv must have done it to bring about such a law. ๐Ÿ˜†
About khetraja, makes me wonder, did they go to some field to do the act. Why did they call them born in the field?

Originally posted by: souro

May I suggest Arthashastra. You will find many such laws. A strange law - it was punishable offence if someone was found making out with the pictures, statues or carvings of goddesses. Some perv must have done it to bring about such a law. ๐Ÿ˜†
About khetraja, makes me wonder, did they go to some field to do the act. Why did they call them born in the field?

"born in the field" reminds of my audits.  When I am on the locations conducting audit, we call that phase "field-work"๐Ÿ˜†  I am sure I'll smile everytime I turn my time sheets in with the "field-work" hours listed up there๐Ÿ˜†