Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: Emptiness

well they did, it's there in the epic, ironically, Duryodhana + the other Kauravas all went to heaven, whilst the Pandavas ended up in hell.

Which version of epic.. as long as its in print I am good.. ๐Ÿ˜Š (most crap goes on line.. so people dont take much pains to write and have it printed..)

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Empti, Duryodhan was not deemed to be a good king.  Infact, there has been anecdotes mentioned in MB where he tried to force himself on a gandharv kanya.  Arjun and Bheem came to his rescue and saved his sorry ass.   He was also reckless with the raajkosh and almost rendered Hastinapur bankrupt when he was put in charge of treasury.  Pandavas went to vijay yatra of some sort and returned with lot of money from the vanquished kings and filled up the raaj kosh again.  These are just the two incidents showing Duryodhan's recklessness.

As for the rest of your post - Dhritrashtra was only a "stop gap" arrangement.  The understanding was always that Pandu's elder son, if eligible, will be the king.  Gandhari knew this fact and this is why she was disheartened when Yudhishthir was born before Duryodhan. 

But then Yudhishtira showed his fair share of recklessness too right? ... I'm just playing the devil's advocate here.

Just going off on a tangent here, the core story, which is centred around the war, is said to be very archaic.  Now, history is always written by the victors, the goodness of the protagonists are always exaggerated, whilst the goodness of the antagonists are downplayed and their negatives are exaggerated.  It is entirely plausible that the Kauravas in the original and early versions of the epic, were no where near as bad as what they were made out to be by later redactors.

That Kauravas went to heaven and Pandavas went to hell is quite surprising, the Mahabharata gives its reasons why, but then, how can the alleged heinous crimes of the Kauravas be completely whitewashed just because they were slained in the battlefield?, and how is it possible that the Pandavas were sent to hell for the few crimes they committed, but their good deeds and good nature got completely overlooked?... it doesn't make any sense.

Now, you are disappointing me!  I came to trust your knowledge of scriptures even though I always have questions on how you interpret that knowledge.  But this is plain lame, Empti๐Ÿ˜†

Pandavas being in hell was an illusion - one last test Dharma gave to yudhisthir.  Yudhishthir was given a choice - live with kaurvas in heaven or with pandvas in hell.  He chose hell but asked dharmraj what was the criteria of paap punya if his anuj pandavs are in hell.  That's when the illusion broke and it turned out all pandavs were in heaven. 

Well I'm not a scholar or anythin, so I will make mistakes and will accept them, I haven't read the entire epic in full, I haven't heard about this illusion bit, will look it up and get back to you.

Question, do Kauravas deserve to be heaven just cause they were slained in battle?

Well I'm not a scholar or anythin, so I will make mistakes and will accept them, I haven't read the entire epic in full, I haven't heard about this illusion bit, will look it up and get back to you.

Question, do Kauravas deserve to be heaven just cause they were slained in battle?

Not only no but HECK NO! 

May be this is why I am not religious.  Such things just don't click with me.

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

is this wikipedia versionj of mahabharata.. not questioning.. just curious.. ๐Ÿ˜†
Yudhistir was given a glimpse of hell for the only lie said about Ashwathama's death... and taht led to his guru's death.. but apart from that yeah i dont know why it is made up about this heaven thing... Krishna was left to survive painfully for his part in mahabharat.. all is not googled.. but what i know.. but i dont know a lot.. i knew it but then forgot it...

Nope. Yudhishthir was given some tests in the end - the dog who accompained him was one and this one was the second.  Krishna survived under Gadnhari's curse.  Yadavs were all fighting amongst themselves by the time he died. 

But then Yudhishtira showed his fair share of recklessness too right? ... I'm just playing the devil's advocate here.

Not really.  Except for dyuoot addiction, there is no other reckless behavior. @ you playing devil's advocate - I realize that but you are twisting the story when you interpret it this way.

Just going off on a tangent here, the core story, which is centred around the war, is said to be very archaic.  Now, history is always written by the victors, the goodness of the protagonists are always exaggerated, whilst the goodness of the antagonists are downplayed and their negatives are exaggerated.  It is entirely plausible that the Kauravas in the original and early versions of the epic, were no where near as bad as what they were made out to be by later redactors.
If you think of MB as history - then may be what you are saying is true.  I take it as a drama.  Even if certain traits were over/under played, the way Duryodhan's character is sketched, there's no doubt that he was not fit to inherit the throne.

That Kauravas went to heaven and Pandavas went to hell is quite surprising, the Mahabharata gives its reasons why, but then, how can the alleged heinous crimes of the Kauravas be completely whitewashed just because they were slained in the battlefield?, and how is it possible that the Pandavas were sent to hell for the few crimes they committed, but their good deeds and good nature got completely overlooked?... it doesn't make any sense.
We already covered this one.

qwertyesque thumbnail

Not only no but HECK NO! 

May be this is why I should be gettign my knowledge from authentic source..  Such things just don't click with me.

Absolutely right...๐Ÿ˜†
qwertyesque thumbnail

Qwerty Bapu, please tell me you are just kidding here๐Ÿ˜†  btw, Vyasa happened to be Satyavati's first born.  Now, I am not sure whether he was born from Satyavati and Bharat's union or what๐Ÿ˜†  Here's the excrept describing the birth of Pandu, Dhritrashtra and Vidur.  Ab iss sey zyada vistaar mujh sey matt poochhna๐Ÿ˜†

Having received approval from Bhishma,Satyavati summoned her first born son Vyasa.Without any delay,Vyasa came to his mother and was given a briefing as to the crisis facing the family.Satyavati told Vyasa that it now depended on him to bring forth an heir to the throne and he would have to impregnate the wife of Vichitravirya.Vyasa agreed to do it.

Then Satyavati informed Ambika of Vyasa's visit and advised her that she should welcome the Rishi accordingly for the purpose of obtaining an heir to the throne of Hastinapura.Ambika accepted and was willing to comply with the instructions she received.

Later that night,Vyasa entered the chambers of Ambika.She became terrified at the sight of the Rishi.Using his yoga maya or his illusionary powers to impregnate her she closed her eyes in fright. She kept her eyes closed for the entire duration of the encounter.

When Satyavati asked Vyasa next morning how things went,he said to her that a very strong and learned son would be born to Ambika.However, because she closed her eyes at the time of her conception,the child would be born blind.

This was very disappointing news for Satyavati and so she now instructed Vyasa to impregnate Vichitravirya's second wife,Ambalika. Satyavati advised Ambalika not to close her eyes and she did not. However,at the sight of Vyasa,she became pale.

When Vyasa was done,he reported back to his mother and told her that Ambalika would have a son who would be handsome and brave but because she became pale at the time of impregnation,her son would also be pale.

Satyavati was still disappointed and told Vyasa that after Ambika gives birth to the child that he should return and impregnate her once more so that she will also have a son with eyesight.Vyasa agreed and then left for the forest.

In time both queens Ambika and Ambalika gave birth to their sons and as Vyasa had said,one was blind and the other was pale.The blind son was named Dhritarashtra and the pale one was named Pandu.

Then Satyavati again sent for Vyasa and she warned Ambika to be careful this time.She reminded her that her son was born blind because of her mistake.Ambika was willing once more and accepted the advice.However, as much as she tried,she could not muster up the courage and the bravery to face Vyasa.So she sent her maidservant instead.

The maid served with attention and devotion to the sage.The next morning Vyasa told Satyavati that a son who would be the replica of Dharma would be born but he will be born to the maid because it was she who spent the time with him.He then gave blessings to all and departed once again.

The son born to the maid was named Vidura.All three boys received education under the guidance of Bhishma.Dhritarashtra was strong,Pandu was good at archery and Vidura was ever wise.Pandu was appointed as the ruler even though Dhritarashtra was elder.This was so because the Shastras forbids the appointment of a king who has a disability.Pandu ruled the kingdom with assistance from Vidura who was appointed as the Chief Minister.

Bhishma eventually had the task of selecting brides for them.Dhritarashtra married Gandhari who out of devotion to her husband decided to tie a scarf around her eyes so that she too would be blind to the world and Pandu married Madri,the princess from Madra.

thanks for the info... Gaurji ...but i sense this has several distortions.. but never mind..
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Now, you are disappointing me!  I came to trust your knowledge of scriptures even though I always have questions on how you interpret that knowledge.  But this is plain lame, Empti๐Ÿ˜†

Pandavas being in hell was an illusion - one last test Dharma gave to yudhisthir.  Yudhishthir was given a choice - live with kaurvas in heaven or with pandvas in hell.  He chose hell but asked dharmraj what was the criteria of paap punya if his anuj pandavs are in hell.  That's when the illusion broke and it turned out all pandavs were in heaven. 

It is also tied to the heaven and hell principle of karma. There is no permanent heaven or hell. Everyone gets their due. The illusion of hell was the Pandavas due for their sins. Even the Kauravas experienced their share of hell.

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Absolutely right...๐Ÿ˜†

I knew you were ethically bankrupt but did not know you loved showing that off so much!
Edited by Gauri_3 - 13 years ago