Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

It was allowed. That is why Kunti and Maadri were able to invoke Gods for children when everyone knew Pandu was cursed. I call it desperate times, desperate measures clause. Why they just did not adopt - I don't know.

No where it is listed in MB that this practice was allowed.  It was used but "allowed" does not get any mention. 
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

No where it is listed in MB that this practice was allowed.  It was used but "allowed" does not get any mention. 

Satyavati tries convincing Bheeshma to beget children to his brothers wives based on this exception. Heir and lineage was very important in those days, hence such exceptions (with rules) were allowed in special circumstances.

If you look at ancient history many cultures had such practices.

Originally posted by: angie.4u

Where wud they have got divine children to be adopted? Btw it does make one wonder what exactly they meant by invoking the Gods to beget children 🤔

I was thinking more on the lines of being noble like Angelina and Brad, and adopting ordinary children and giving them a good life.

Invoking Gods to beget children...hmmm. I give you three options

1) First there was nothing. Then God waved his hand and the womb now was with child.
2) God was a super scientist and was making test tube babies
3) God would ahem ahem and then you would get pregnant the natural way

Satyavati tries convincing Bheeshma to beget children to his brothers wives based on this exception. Heir and lineage was very important in those days, hence such exceptions (with rules) were allowed in special circumstances.

If you look at ancient history many cultures had such practices.

Going by your rationale, bribery is "allowed" in India because it is a common practice these days --- see the faulty reasoning yet?

Forget ancient history.  Debate is on MB.  You sure you are not assuming it was allowed?  Did you read anywhere in the book Satyawati telling Bheeshm that such practices were "allowed"?

I agree that extreme situations often warrant desperate measures but that doesn't mean such measure are "allowed". 
Edited by Gauri_3 - 13 years ago

No, I am not assuming that it was allowed simply because it was a common practice. When Satyavati approaches Bheeshma to father her children, she clearly refers to a mandate that says that the husband's brother is responsible to beget the wife children if he passes away before time. He then advices her that he has taken an oath of celibacy, but dharma reccomends a sage or the devas to undertake such a task.

Empty has posted links to the full Ganguli translation (which has been accepted by Sanskrit scholars too as the most comprehensive and accurate English translation). You can refer to the relevant parts in Adi Parva and see that the conversation between Satyavati and Bheeshma explicitly states that not only were such practices allowed, but actually recommended and encouraged. I know you will say the burden is on me, since I am making the claim – I too will look up for the relevant verses.

No, I am not assuming that it was allowed simply because it was a common practice. When Satyavati approaches Bheeshma to father her children, she clearly refers to a mandate that says that the husband's brother is responsible to beget the wife children if he passes away before time. He then advices her that he has taken an oath of celibacy, but dharma reccomends a sage or the devas to undertake such a task.

Empty has posted links to the full Ganguli translation (which has been accepted by Sanskrit scholars too as the most comprehensive and accurate English translation). You can refer to the relevant parts in Adi Parva and see that the conversation between Satyavati and Bheeshma explicitly states that not only were such practices allowed, but actually recommended and encouraged. I know you will say the burden is on me, since I am making the claim ? I too will look up for the relevant verses.

Nah. Don't bother looking up.  I'll take your word here. 

What I don't get is that why Kunti had to get preggo with Gods when Gandhari was impregnated by her hubby.  No one knew at that time how Duryodhan would turn out to be.  So, what was the need to get pregnant when Dhritrashtra had that forte covered? 

^^

Dharma states that brother steps in only if the husband dies. If husband is impotent or such, then the task falls on rishis or devas.

Personally, I find a lot of laws in the MB iffy and nonsensical.

^^

Dharma states that brother steps in only if the husband dies. If husband is impotent or such, then the task falls on rishis or devas.

Personally, I find a lot of laws in the MB iffy and nonsensical.

But Pandu was the king because Dhritrashtra was blind.  So, there was no need for anyone to step in and make Pandu's wives preganant - that too both his wives and that too five times in total!  I wouldn't pile this crazyness on Dharma.

^^

But Pandu wanted children and even Kunti and Madri wanted children. I mean why should a family not need to have children just because others can fill the lineage?
^^ Kunti and Madri could have loved Gandhari's children as their own.  They all were shown to be tightly knit before the cracks started appearing.....and Kunti did not even think about mentioning Karna at that point! 

We can go on and on over what they wanted, what they needed, why the got the children the way they did etc. etc. etc. I think all these points only strengthen the point I was trying to raise here --- dharma was twisted to suit one's concenience/desire more often than necessary.  Without these twists, MB would not be as super duper hit as it became.  Drama at its best:)