Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Not really.  Except for dyuoot addiction, there is no other reckless behavior. @ you playing devil's advocate - I realize that but you are twisting the story when you interpret it this way.

Yudhishtira's decisions in the dice game is probably the single most reckless thing that anyone has done in the epic.  Not only did he gamble his entire kingdom away, he gambled his brothers, himself and finally his wife!  This so-called "Dharma-Raj", supposedly the "epitome of virtue" was so senseless, that he couldn't discriminate between his property and his family, he treated his family as property, even the village idiot would know when to stop.

If you think of MB as history - then may be what you are saying is true.  I take it as a drama.  Even if certain traits were over/under played, the way Duryodhan's character is sketched, there's no doubt that he was not fit to inherit the throne.

Well even if we go along with drama, it still leaves alot of scope for people to add stories.  For instance, Vyasa's original tale, titled "Jaya" was only about 9,000 verses long, the current epic is about 100,000 verses, so you can see there's been alot of interpolations.  An example of this is the disrobing scene of Draupadi, there is overwhelming internal evidence that it never happened.  This incident is recounted plenty of times in later chapters by various characters, including Draupadi herself, especially when she meets Krishna in the forest, and retells everything she went through, she mentions being dragged by the hair to the assembly, but she doesn't mention the far grosser crime of disrobing, she even tells him that he failed her.

For further details, please read the following articles.

Was Draupadi ever disrobed?
http://www.boloji.com/hinduism/134.htm

Was Draupadi Disrobed in the Dice Hall of Hastinapura?
http://www.boloji.com/hinduism/094.htm
Edited by Emptiness - 13 years ago

Now, you are disappointing me!  I came to trust your knowledge of scriptures even though I always have questions on how you interpret that knowledge.  But this is plain lame, Empti๐Ÿ˜†

Pandavas being in hell was an illusion - one last test Dharma gave to yudhisthir.  Yudhishthir was given a choice - live with kaurvas in heaven or with pandvas in hell.  He chose hell but asked dharmraj what was the criteria of paap punya if his anuj pandavs are in hell.  That's when the illusion broke and it turned out all pandavs were in heaven. 

I stand corrected, yes you're right.. it says it was an "illusion", but it's abit confusing by what they mean by that under the context, it then goes to say that every King has to experience hell, and as a result, the Pandavas had to experience it temporarily.

It's like the whole war was for nothing, everyone ended up in heaven anyway!

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Which version of epic.. as long as its in print I am good.. ๐Ÿ˜Š (most crap goes on line.. so people dont take much pains to write and have it printed..)

"'Duryodhana said, "I have studied, made presents according to the ordinance, governed the wide Earth with her seas, and stood over the heads of my foes! Who is there so fortunate as myself! That end again which is courted by Kshatriyas observant of the duties of their own order, death in battle, hath become mine. Who, therefore, is so fortunate as myself? Human enjoyments such as were worthy of the very gods and such as could with difficulty be obtained by other kings, had been mine. Prosperity of the very highest kind had been attained by me! Who then is so fortunate as myself? With all my well-wishers, and my younger brothers, I am going to heaven, O thou of unfading glory! As regards yourselves, with your purposes unachieved and torn by grief, live ye in this unhappy world!"'

"Sanjaya continued, 'Upon the conclusion of these words of the intelligent king of the Kurus, a thick shower of fragrant flowers fell from the sky. The Gandharvas played upon many charming musical instruments. The Apsaras in a chorus sang the glory of king Duryodhana. The Siddhas uttered loud sound to the effect, "Praise be to king Duryodhana!" Fragrant and delicious breezes mildly blew on every side. All the quarters became clear and the firmament looked blue as the lapis lazuli. Beholding these exceedingly wonderful things and this worship offered to Duryodhana, the Pandavas headed by Vasudeva became ashamed. Hearing (invisible beings cry out) that Bhishma and Drona and Karna and Bhurishrava were slain unrighteously, they became afflicted with grief and wept in sorrow."

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m09/m09061.htm 

Nah. Don't bother looking up.  I'll take your word here. 

What I don't get is that why Kunti had to get preggo with Gods when Gandhari was impregnated by her hubby.  No one knew at that time how Duryodhan would turn out to be.  So, what was the need to get pregnant when Dhritrashtra had that forte covered? 

good question... Gandhari was already a few months pregnant before Kunti conceived, but "conveniently" her pregnancy gets delayed.... the epic says that Yudhishtira was born before Duryodhana, how soon was he born?, few days/weeks/months/years??... does anyone know?, how were they able to determine that Yudhishtira was infact born earlier, when Kunti was living in some jungle completely detached from civilisation, whilst Gandhari was under the watchful eyes of the state?

Originally posted by: Emptiness

Well even if we go along with drama, it still leaves alot of scope for people to add stories.  For instance, Vyasa's original tale, titled "Jaya" was only about 9,000 verses long, the current epic is about 100,000 verses, so you can see there's been alot of interpolations.  An example of this is the disrobing scene of Draupadi, there is overwhelming internal evidence that it never happened.  This incident is recounted plenty of times in later chapters by various characters, including Draupadi herself, especially when she meets Krishna in the forest, and retells everything she went through, she mentions being dragged by the hair to the assembly, but she doesn't mention the far grosser crime of disrobing, she even tells him that he failed her.

For further details, please read the following articles.

Was Draupadi ever disrobed?
http://www.boloji.com/hinduism/134.htm

Was Draupadi Disrobed in the Dice Hall of Hastinapura?
http://www.boloji.com/hinduism/094.htm

I am not averse to the idea that stripping may have been a later edition just to justify how evil the other side was and how much the ones on Dharma's side suffered.  May be the public questioned twisting dharma at the drop of hat and the defenders were forced to exaggerate the circumstances leading to the so-called dharm yuddh.

I have also read some articles claiming Draupadi never said andhey ka putra andha to Duryodhan in the palace of illusions.  But there is ample evidence that Karna was insulted numerus times by all pandavs and by draupadi and called names such as sootputra.  May be a pressure was felt by defenders to show Karna in bad light and hence the whole disrobing addition to the original text.

I would still say that Duryodhan does not come across as any more evil than what he was.  I am sure there are plenty of instances in the original work depicting how bad his character was - the poisening the kheer, lakshagrah, cheating in the chausar being only a few of them.  The disrobing action only helps in portraying Karna in a very bad light and lose some of the sympathy even pandvas defenders/well wishers feel for him.   
Sacred-texts.com? A sham of a web site solely in the business of aggregating unauthentic, bogus texts authored by a few dullards whose "creations" were on the web at some point but later disappeared because the sites to which they have been published to have been closed? That's the reference material? And what's the other one? Boloji.com?

Is this a joke?!

Originally posted by: Mister.K.

Sacred-texts.com? A sham of a web site solely in the business of aggregating unauthentic, bogus texts authored by a few dullards whose "creations" were on the web at some point but later disappeared because the sites to which they have been published to have been closed? That's the reference material? And what's the other one? Boloji.com?

Is this a joke?!

hi Mister.K, why do you think it's a sham website with unauthentic texts?.. in that case, the Vedas which are also hosted there, in English translation and the original Sanskrit, is also unauthentic?

Why is the Ganguli translation bogus, and why is he a dullard?, there must be some basis to your complete dismissal other than the fact that you dislike some of the facts that were mentioned?

empti, dude, what's up with your obsession to venerate the bad guys at the altar and vilify the good guys? granted, it's not science or history that could be backed up with "facts" but common! could you at least not make up your mind just by reading litter from phony websites?

Originally posted by: Mister.K.

empti, dude, what's up with your obsession to venerate the bad guys at the altar and vilify the good guys? granted, it's not science or history that could be backed up with "facts" but common! could you at least not make up your mind just by reading litter from phony websites?

but I thought that I already mentioned it?.. I'm pretty much an atheist, but lean slightly more towards agnosticism, I don't believe in Gods or avataras.... so I like to view things from different perspectives... yeh I know the Pandavas are overall the good guys, but what's the harm in looking at it from the other side?  I'm not venerating the bad guys, I have a habit of taking the minority position in debates of this nature... the source is not the website, but Ganguli's translation, it's the only complete one available in the public domain.

Originally posted by: Emptiness

hi Mister.K, why do you think it's a sham website with unauthentic texts?.. in that case, the Vedas which are also hosted there, in English translation and the original Sanskrit, is also unauthentic?

Why is the Ganguli translation bogus, and why is he a dullard?, there must be some basis to your complete dismissal other than the fact that you dislike some of the facts that were mentioned?

hey, you edited after I posted my reply!

alright, i didn't say ganguli was a dullard or his translations were spurious. i was talking about the websites that have mushroomed everywhere.

most stories (of yore) have a clear cut depiction of black and white. it's easy to tell who is who. they served the purpose from a moralistic point of view. the good guys always won.

the current ones that are translations of the original works are muddling things up only to cater to all kinds of castes / creeds / religions / races and so on. i wouldn't put too much stock in those translations.