Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Now, insurance cover for TV programmes too!

Wednesday, 07 December , 2005, 15:31

Insurance is definitely making a mark as more and more people and firms are opting for it. After film and cricket insurance, the television software producers are queuing up for insurance cover. The latest one to get an insurance cover is 'Nach Baliye', telecasted on 'Star One' channel. The show is a dance competition among the couples performing on the small screen.

The industry sources have pointed out that Bajaj Allianz General Insurance sold the policy. The policy covers the cost of getting in a new couple if for any reason the performing contestants' are unable to make it for the show. The policy provides personal accident coverage up to Rs 2.5 crore. This coverage will be provided if an accident occurs during shooting of the serial. Besides, personal accident cover is also provided to the chief team members and the workers of the show, up to a limit of Rs 3.5 crore.

Among the other TV serials, Kaun Banega Crorepati, hosted by Amitabh Bachchan was one of the early ones to insure the show. Oriental Insurance provided the cover. But for Kaun Banega Crorepati 2, the producers have opted for Iffco Tokio. | Read more Finance news. |

Insuring serials run parallel to that of film insurance. United India Insurance Company Ltd had launched Cine Mukta Policy in the year 2000, exclusively for the film industry. However, the submission of policies pertaining to films requires transparency between the producer and the insurance company. Subhash Ghai's film 'Taal' was the first movie to be insured.

The views expressed in the article are the author's and not of Sify.com.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Dance like Shahid

give him a chance: John Lennon high fives: Shahid Kapur in his Nach Baliye performance
n He is easily one of the best dancers on the Bollywood screen. So it makes for all the right reasons for Shahid Kapur to appear on Nach Baliye. And when you throw in a promotion do of his new film, Shikhar, it makes all the more sense.

So, come Thursday and you can catch Shahid performing to the Shikhar song Fitna on the popular dance show on STAR One. He will also be seen having a tete-a-tete with the three top couples — Sachin and Supriya, Manish and Poonam, and Varun and Rajeshwari.

Another attraction this week is the series of performances by the choreographers of the couples. Check out the sizzling chemistry between Al and Melody, Danny and Kunjan, and finally Rajeev Surti. All of them fight it out for the special Judges Seeti Award.

There's more. On Sunday, Nach Baliye Marathon will help you catch all the episodes of the dance show back to back.

n Twenty five years after he was tragically shot to death, you get yet another chance to get up, close with the godfather of modern pop — John Lennon. On his death anniversary, STAR World will pay tribute to his life, his legend,and his legacy in two specials, charting two critical periods of his

creative life.

The first part, titled Give Peace A Song, will encompass the days John and wife Yoko Ono spent in Montreal to campaign for world peace. Out of the 50 or so people who were there to witness the historic event, 27 of them were tracked down to speak about their individual experiences. Through these, Give Peace A Song weaves a fascinating tale of 60s culture, politics and music and gives a priceless account of a defining period in Lennon's life.

In the second part, titled Gimme Some Truth, catch Lennon recording Imagine in 1971. Not many know that the Lennons filmed every aspect of the recording sessions, following the progress of each song from inception to final recording. From telling moments that reveal the mysterious bond between Lennon and Ono, to rare footage of how a great talent used the recording process to bring his vision to reality, Gimme Some Truth is an indispensable document of how the genius of Lennon works. Catch it on Thursday, 9 pm on STAR World.

n Go shopping with supermodels and small screen stars this December — all from the comfort of your living room. CNBC Awaaz is airing special episodes of Smart Shopping all this month.

The line-up includes Pooja Bedi, Tupur Chatterjee and more, who will take viewers to their regular and favourite shopping haunts and offer a peek into the way they make their best bargains.

There would be segments such as Smart shopper meter to measure where the celebrity stands as a smart shopper on a scale of 1 to 10. Trivia about the stars would accompany a similar style meter.

Catch the show on weekdays, at 5.30 pm and 8.30 pm.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Tragic twist in 'Nach Baliye'
IndiaGlitz [Friday, December 09, 2005]

All those who have been following 'Nach Baliye', arguably the most popular reality show currently on air today, were in for a heart stopping experience yesterday night during the semi-finals round.

While the battle intensified with three pairs [Sachin-Supriya, Manish-Poonam, Varun-Raageshwari] reaching the semi-finals, everyone was hooked on to their television screens to witness their performances. The show was innovative by itself as in addition to the star pairs, even their respective choreographers were invited to showcase their talent.

All was set till the time Sachin-Supriya and Manish-Poonam danced to the beats while choreographers of all the three pairs enthralled the audience with mesmerizing performances. The battle had intensified as favorites Varun-Raageshwari were to come in the end and it was a foregone conclusion that they would deliver yet another consistent and superlative performance.

Matching step by step to the remix version of 'Bindaas' [Krishna Cottage], everything seemed to have been going smooth for both as the audience kept cheering along. But suddenly out of a blue, after about a minute of performing, Varun suddenly found himself glued to the floor with his body becoming standstill with no movement at all! While some of the viewers [including the judges - Saroj Khan, Farhan Akhtar, Malaika Arora Khan] wondered if this was just one of the mid-dance gags, the truth was out when nothing changed for next 10 agonizing seconds.

While Raageshwari continued her dance steps hoping that Varun would be able to pull through, he simply went blank and though he tried himself to be a sport by trying to move his body parts here and there a little, by the time reality struck, it was just too late. A stunned silence followed as the music stopped and it was hard for everyone from the hosts, judges and the audience to accept this cruel fact.

Later Varun remarked that even he didn't realize what had happened to him after a first few steps as the physical tiredness of last few months had taken a toll on him. While the number was being played, he first thought he was hearing the tune of 3-4 songs and later no music at all!

A sad moment for everyone watching the show closely, it was a terrible end to a terrific run that Varun-Raageshwari were having all this while.

Better luck next time. We would surely miss you two!

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Nach Baliye: Big upset!

Shirin Abbas

Those that saw it on the small screen still find it hard to believe. Round 9, just one step to go before the finals. Everyone expected that this would be the time when Poonam-Manish will take the bow, leaving the finals to the two couples who have been giving the most consistently brilliant performances throughout the show--Sachin-Supriya and Rajeshwari-Varun. Alas! Half way through their brilliant performance, Varun Badola just stopped moving. His explanation later was that he went blank. But that one faltering moment has put one of the most brilliant couples out of the finals. Next week, the fans will still get to see the stars clash at the grand finale, but without the star pair, it won't have quite the same feel as one expected it to.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Time to shake a leg with the 'Nach Baliye' finalists

Staff Reporter | Thursday, December 15, 2005 12:40:9 IST
Eliminated couples perform tonight; judge Malaika Arora to set floor ablaze..
Tonight, the small screen couples will perform their final dance as votes of the three judges and audience decide between Manish and Punam Goel and between Sachin and Supriya Pilgaonkar, for crowning the Nach Baliye winner of Star One.
For the grand finale tonight, all the eight eliminated couples perform once more and the show's sizzling judge - Malaika Arora Khan will set the floor on fire with her hot performance on a medley of Maahi Ve and Kaal Dhamaal, choreographed by none other than Saroj Khan.
Almost two months old now, Nach Baliye is an entertaining 'dance-off' between 10 'real-life' television couples. The excitement rolled out week on week, with the couples grooving to songs based on different themes such as sexy and sensuous, comedy, retro and remix, wedding, folk-regional and solo dances.
The show captured and unleashed the reality aspects of these couples reliving the tension, the excitement, the joy, the tears and the talent. Whether it's the shocking exit of the dhamaal jodi of Parmeet-Archana, the surprising survival of Rajiv-Delnaaz for four consecutive times, the sad farewell of the cutest couple, Apurva-Shilpa or the favourite dancers missing out, Varun-Rajeshwari or superb on-screen chemistry between Sachin-Supriya, the show has sizzled the small screen and has achieved a special place in every Indian household.
The two Nach Baliye 'jodis' to qualify for the finals- Sachin-Supriya and Manish-Poonam, gear up for the 'Nach Baliye Champions' title and win the Rs. 50 lakh prize while the winning couple's choreographer wins Rs. 20 lakh tonight.
As if it weren't exciting enough, for the first time ever on Star India Network, the competition will go live as 'India Will Vote' between 9 pm and 10:15 pm to choose the favourite celebrity dancing couple. Star One will witness the entire nation glued to television sets for three hours, as India will choose the 'Nach Baliye Champions'.
The 'solo round' will test individual dancing skills - Supriya versus Poonam and Sachin versus Manish, while the 'Aa Dekhe Zara' round will see couples perform against each other to fight for the title.
Viewers love the Sachin-Supriya pair. "I think they have been the best performers throughout the show," says Swati Karia, a college student, "I was upset when Arpurva and Shilpa were out of the competition. They were my favourite couple. But of the final two, my vote goes to Sachin and Supriya."
This seems to be the favourite jodi. "Of course, I vote for Sachin and Supriya. I wonder how Manish and Punam even reached the final round. The finals would've been more exciting had the competition been between Sachin-Supriya and Varun-Rajeshwari," says Tejas Parekh, a businessman.
"I'm not going to vote at all. My two favourite couples - Parmeet-Archana and Varun-Rajeshwari are both out of the competition. I truly believe that one of them deserved the title. They were consistently performing well till they were pulled out," says Preeti Dandekar, a housewife, "But of the final two couples, I prefer Sachin-Supriya." Tune into Star One from 9 pm for the Grand Finale of Nach Baliye and be sure to vote for your favourite couple between 9 pm and 10:15 pm tonight.
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Nach Baliye reaches grand finale round

Indo-Asian News Service0

Mumbai, December 15, 2005
Star One's celebrity dance competition Nach Baliye reaches its exciting finale on Thursday evening with TV viewers agog to know which couple will finally win - Manish Goel and Poonam or Sachin and Supriya Pilgaonkar.

Both the couples are upbeat about the show that has been avidly watched and catapulted the participants to fame.

Manish says: "Besides the fact that I got to spend so much time with my wife, the best part of doing Nach Baliye is that people have stopped calling me by the names of my characters in Bhabhi and the other soaps.

"We've suddenly become household names. And the fact that we've come so far proves there's fate guiding our hands - or shall I say, our feet? Of course we're proud. Every time Poonam and I went on stage we wondered if this would be our last appearance. All the other participants were so good. Somehow we've managed to come so far. For someone who has been struggling for a foothold for so many years, Nach Baliye is a true triumph... I've finally made my family in Delhi proud.

"Today I'm proud to see we've danced our way into so many hearts. Am I nervous about the finals? My nervousness lasts only until I reach the stage. After that I'm fine. After what happened to my colleague Varun Bandola (he blanked out on stage), I wondered if that would happen to me at the finals. But I cannot afford to slip up now. If I've come this far there has to be a reason for it."

His wife and dancing partner Poonam echoes his feelings: "The best part of doing Nach Baliye was that my husband and I got so much time to spend together. Was it difficult for me to cope with the impossible schedules because of my one-year old son? Not really. Even Rohit Roy and Manasi Joshi have a small child. It's all about time management... and the desire to do something unexpected and life-making.

"Nach Baliye has definitely been decisive for me and Manish. Everywhere, kids call out to us by our real names. Even our son who has been seen on the show is now a little star. I feel good, especially for my husband. Yes, I'm nervous about the finals. We've to be on stage for a full 12 minutes... and live. If we win we want to use the prize money of Rs 50 lakh (Rs 5 million) for PETA, a cause I believe in, and for our beta (son). But right now we aren't thinking of the money."

The other finalists Sachin and Supriya Pilgaonkar are also nervous, albeit very enthusiastic.

Says actor-director-producer Sachin: "We've tried our level-best. We're very nervous, but not for the audiences' vote. No point in worrying about something that isn't in our hands. We want to perform well... Considering we aren't much of dancers we're truly amazed at how far we've got. I really enjoyed working with my wife.

"Through Nach Baliye we've been thrown together in unexpected ways. The show has helped us rediscover each other in the twentieth year of our marriage.

"I'm a Marathi and I make Marathi films. Nach Baliye has spurred me to direct a new song-and-dance film Aami Saatpute featuring me and Supriya. I feel very happy when people say she's a better actress and dancer."

His wife Supriya has something similar to say.

She says: "Right now we're nervous, yes. I never knew I could dance until 'Nach Baliye'. I've started enjoying dancing. I had never done such formal dancing. Nach Baliye has changed my life... Look at the love we've received from everyone. It's a new beginning for me.

"If we win, I want to use the prize money to do something that we'll never forget. I want to do something that will haunt us forever, as Nach Baliye has haunted us... We've practiced day and night, thought about steps all the time. If we hadn't worked so hard we wouldn't have reached so far. At first we did it to save face. Then it became a question of sustaining our success. The Nach Baliye journey has been very rewarding for us.

"My husband has been very encouraging. We're trying our best to live up to audiences' expectations. We'll try to give a clean performance for the finals. We've four songs to perform. And we're gathering our stamina together. Our choreographers have always given us steps according to our age. Synchronisation of movements would be our primary concern. That's the rhythm we've followed for the last 20 years of our lives.
aries_sakshi thumbnail

Meet 4 Nach Baliye Finalists

by Subhash K Jha

Manish Goel and Poonam Nirula

Manish: "Besides the fact that I got to spend so much time with my wife the best part of doing Nach Baliye is that people have stopped calling me by the names of my characters in Bhabhi and the other soaps. I'm finally Manish….and it feels like a culmination of six years of struggle. Yes, I'm hoping to resume my interrupted struggle to become a film actor. But I cannot ignore the reach and impact of television—not after Nach Baliye.

For sure it has been a blessing for me and my wife. We've suddenly become household names. And the fact that we've come so far proves there's fate guiding our hands—or shall I say, our feet? Of course we're proud. Every time Poonam and I went on stage we wondered if this would be our last appearance. All the other participants were so good. Somehow we've managed to come so far.

For someone who has been struggling for a foothold for so many years Nach Baliye is a true triumph….I've finally made my family in Delhi proud . We're a business family and Poonam was my mother's choice to be my wife. My mother insisted that I get married—nahin to Mumbai kha jayega. My mother saw Poonam while we were shooting a serial together. She asked me if I'd like to marry her. It took me three months to decide.

And then it took Poonam another three months to decide. So in just six months we were married. Today I'm proud to see we've danced our way into so many hearts. Am I nervous about the finals tomorrow? My nervousness lasts only until I reach the stage. After that I'm fine.

After what happened to my colleague Varun Bandola (he blanked out on stage) I wondered if that would happen to me tomorrow at the finals. But I cannot afford to slip up now. If I've come this far there has to be a reason for it."

Poonam: "Frankly the high that it gives me to see my husband being suddenly thrown into this recognition cannot compare with what I feel. Though I've been doing serials for some years now, I'm too much into my family—my husband and my little son. I had gained so weight after motherhood, but I didn't care. Now I've lost a lot of the weight doing the strenuous dance movements.

The best part of doing Nach Baliye was that my husband and I got so much time to spend together. Was it difficult for me to cope with the impossible schedules because of my one-year old son? Not really. Even Rohit Roy and Manasi Joshi have a small child.

It's all about time management …and the desire to do something unexpected and life-making. Nach Baliye has definitely been decisive for me and Manish. Everywhere, kids call out to us by our real names. Even our son who has been seen on the show is now a little star.

I feel good, especially for my husband. Yes, I'm nervous about the finals tomorrow. We've to be on stage for a full twelve minutes…and live. If we win we want to use the prize money of Rs 50 lakhs for PETA, a cause I believe in, and for our beta. But right now we aren't thinking of the money."

Sachin & Supriya Pilgaonkar

Sachin: "We've tried our level-best. We're very nervous, but not for the audiences' vote. No point in worrying about something that isn't in our hands. We want to perform well tomorrow….Considering we aren't much of dancers we're truly amazed at how far we've got. I really enjoyed working with my wife.

On 21 December we complete 20 years of marriage. Other professionals get only a couple of hours with their wife, and an annual holiday to unwind. Through Nach Baliye we've been thrown together in unexpected ways. The show has helped us rediscover each other in the twentieth year of our marriage.

And if a 5-year old kid comes running to us shouting, 'Hi Sachin, Hi Supriya' we couldn't ask for more. …I'm a Marathi ,and I make Marathi films. Nach Baliye has spurred me to direct a new song-and-dance film Aami Saatpute featuring me and Supriya. I feel very happy when people say she's a better actress and dancer."

Supriya : "Right now we're nervous, yes. I never knew I could dance until Nach Baliye . I've started enjoying dancing. I had never done such formal dancing. Nach Baliye has changed my life…Look at the love we've received from everyone. It' a new beginning for me. I'm basically a housewife . I've taken up acting assignments as and when my family life has allowed me.

I can only work when I'm at peace. And now with my daughter grown up I've enjoyed the dancing immensely. If we win, I want to use the prize money to do something that we'll never forget. I want to do something that will haunt us forever, as Nach Baliye has haunted us…

We've practiced day and night, thought about steps all the time. If we hadn't worked so hard we wouldn't have reached so far. At first we did it to save face. Then it became a question of sustaining our success. The Nach Baliye journey has been very rewarding for us. All the songs that Sachin and I performed were sung by the lead pair in films.

I'm privileged to have sung them with my husband….like Chod do aanchal which is a song for our generation or Chale jaise hawa which is for today's generation …It was a dream to perform them. My husband has been very encouraging. We're trying our best to live up to audiences' expectations tomorrow. We'll try to give a clean performance for the finals. We've four songs to perform. And we're gathering our stamina together.

Our choreographers have always given us steps according to our age. Tomorrow too synchronization of movements would be our primary concern. That's the rhythm we've followed in twenty of our lives. During the last four months we've spent more time together than we did in twenty years of marriage. We're looking forward to the prize…prize aakhir prize hota hai, chahe 5 rupaiye ka ya 50 lakh ka.

aries_sakshi thumbnail

The final countdown

A 'Nach' above the rest, Manish-Poonam and Sachin -Supriya on their jitters before the big night

Subhash K Jha

Manish Goel and Poonam Narula

Manish:
Besides getting to spend so much time with my wife, the best part of doing Nach Baliye is that people have stopped referring to me by the names of my characters I play in Bhabhi and the other soaps. I'm finally known as Manish. With this, I'm hoping to resume my interrupted struggle to make it in films with resumed vigour. But I cannot ignore the reach and impact of television-not after Nach Baliye. It has been a blessing for Poonam and I. We've suddenly become household names. And the fact that we've come to the final round proves there's fate guiding us-or shall I say, our feet? Every time Poonam and I went on stage we always wondered if this would be our last appearance. The other participants were so good. Somehow we managed to come so far. For someone who has been struggling for a foothold in the industry for so many years, Nach Baliye is a true triumph. I've finally made my family in Delhi proud. We're a business family and my wife Poonam was my mother's choice. My mother insisted that I get married - 'Nahin to Mumbai kha jayegi', she said. My mother saw Poonam while we were shooting a serial together. She asked me if I'd like to marry her. It took me three months to decide and then it took Poonam another three months. We were married in six months. Am I nervous about the finals? My nervousness lasts only until a few moments before I get on to the stage. After that I'm fine.

Poonam: Frankly, it gives me a high to see my husband gaining popularity and recognition. Although I've been doing serials for some years now, I'm too much into my family – my husband and my little son. I had gained so much weight after my delivery, but I didn't care. Now I've shed all that weight while dancing. The best part of doing Nach Baliye was that my husband and I got to spend so much time together. Was it difficult to cope with the schedules because of my one-year old son? Not really. Even Rohit Roy and Manasi Joshi have a small child. It's all about time management …and the desire to do something unexpected. Nach Baliye has definitely proved to be decisive for Manish and I. Yes, I'm nervous about the finals. If we win we will donate the prize money to PETA, a cause I believe in. But right now we aren't thinking of the money.

Sachin : We've tried our level-best. We're very nervous,   but not about the audience votes; no point in worrying about something that isn't in our hands. We want to perform well tomorrow. Considering we are both non dancers, we're truly amazed at how far we've got. I really enjoyed working with my wife. On December 21 we complete 20 years of marriage. Other professionals get only a couple of hours with their wife, and an annual holiday to unwind. Through Nach Baliye we've been thrown together in the most unexpected way. The show has helped us rediscover each other in the twentieth year of our marriage. I'm a Maharashtrian and make Marathi films. But Nach Baliye has spurred me to direct a new song-and-dance film called Aami Saatpute featuring Supriya and I. I feel very proud when people say she's a better actress and dancer than me.

Supriya: Right now we're nervous. I never knew I could dance until Nach Baliye happened to the both of us. I've started enjoying dance. I had never done formal dancing before this. Nach Baliye has changed my life. Look at the love we've received from everyone. It' a new beginning for me. I'm basically a housewife. In the past, I've taken up acting assignments as and when my family has allowed me to. And now with my daughter having grown up, I've enjoyed the dancing experience immensely. If we win, I want to use the prize money to do something that we'll never forget. I want to do something that will haunt us forever, just like Nach Baliye will haunt me forever. I must admit that we've practised day and night; if we hadn't worked so hard we wouldn't have reached so far.  At first we did it to save face. Then it became a question of sustaining our success. The Nach Baliye journey has been very rewarding for both of us. My husband has been very encouraging. Our choreographers have always given us steps to match our age. During the last four months we've spent more time together than we did in the twenty years of our married life. We're looking forward to the prize…prize aakhir prize hota  hai, chahe 5 rupaiye ka ya 50 lakh ka.

Who will win? Former contestants place bets

Amit Sadh & Neeru Bajwa
Amit says: I can't really predict the winner. It depends on who performs better , irrespective of how their past performances have been. And as they say, India will decide. Amit and Neeru will dance to 'Koi Mil Gaya'.

Sai Deodhar & Shakti Anand
Sai says: I think Sachin and Supriya will win. They have been performing consistently. Sai and Shakti will dance to 'Salaame Ishq Meri Jaan'.

Rajiv & Delnaz Paul
Delnaz says: Every week, the performance differs. Both the couples have seen good and bad days. But, today will decide their fate. I wish them both the very best! Delnaz and Rajiv will dance to 'Chunari Chunari'.

Shilpa and Apurva Agnihotri
Shilpa says: I feel Sachin and Supriya deserve to win. I must admit that Poonam and Manish have improved. Shilpa and Apoorva will perform to 'Saara Jahan Kahen Ishq'.

Rajeswari & Varun Badola
Rajeshwari says: It's very difficult to name a winner at this point. Like I said on the show last week, it is a war between the equals. They will dance to 'Hai Re Hai tera Ghungta'.

Archana & Parmeet sethi
Parmeet says: I think Sachin and Supriya will win. If a deserving candidate does not win then it defeats the purpose to watch it in its second season. Parmeet and Archana will dance to 'Aaja Soniye'.

Manasi & Rohit Roy
Rohit says: It could be anybody, I can't predict. I wish we had lasted on the show and hope they call me in the next season. Rohit and Mansi will dance to 'Tauba Tumhare Yeh Ishaare'.

Manini De & Mihir Mishra
Manini and Mihir will dance to 'Ban Than Chali'. They were unavailable for comment. Compiled by Sapana Patil and Reena Thapar Kapoor .

Manish Goel and Poonam Narula

Amit Sadh & Neeru Bajwa

Sai Deodhar & Shakti Anand

Rajiv & Delnaz Paul

Shilpa and Apurva Agnihotri

Rajeswari & Varun Badola

Archana & Parmeet sethi

Manasi & Rohit Roy

Manini De & Mihir Mishra

aries_sakshi thumbnail
What you didn't see in Nach Baliye
   By: Tushar Joshi
   December 13, 2005

Varun and Rajeshwari

Even though the storm of Varun-Rajeshwari's exit from Star One's Nach Baliye has passed, the dust has still to settle down.

Some people claim Varun's 'blank out' was just an excuse for forgetting his steps. others believe it was a way to get the TRPs soaring. 

It wasn't deliberate

Rajeshwari rubbishes all such talk with, "I have been hounded by calls and messages from people all across the country. Every one thinks we messed up and gave up the fight easily."

Recalling the round, she said, "Varun went totally blank. justlike a computer whose hard disk crashed. He was  moving his hands and legs, but mentally he was somewhere else.. Both of us have been stage actors, and know how to cover up Varun could've easily made his 'slip-up' appear like part of the act."

Second chances

A source reveals  what transpired between judges and the couples. "All the three judges wanted them to perform again. They agreed to do so with the permission of the other two couples. While Manish and Poonam gave them the green signal, Sachin and Supriya expressed  reservations."

When quizzed about this, Rajeshwari simply smiled and refused to comment.

When asked why he  declined Varun another chance, Sachin said, "I was the first person who asked Varun to perform again. I made signs to him after the performance asking him to go for another round." But didnt he say no when the channel asked him for his opinion? "Who am I to decide? We are mere contestants. Let the channel decide."

No mercy, says channel

Giving the channel's perspective, Executive Vice President, Deepak Segal said, "In a competition if you are running a race and you fall down then you can't run it again.The rules state that no couple can or will be given a second chance if they make a mistake or goof up.

The consensus was taken because of the emotional bonding between the judges, and the contestants. But our  rules are very clear leaving no scope for any kind of speculation. Today if we give them another chance, tomorrow some one else might  ask for the same. Next year when we come back with the second season we don't want the viewers to think we had any flaws in our system."

[email protected]

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Are you voting tonight for favourite Jodi?
   By: A hitList Correspondent
   December 15, 2005

"Poonam and Manish can't compete with Sachin-Supriya!"

Saroj Khan

Live Voting: Is a great idea. One-hour voting would also mean that it is fair and performance-based voting!

Sachin Vs Supriya: Sachin was better when they started. Supriya has taken over. Her movements, expressions and even energy have just completely gotten better with time.

Manish Vs Poonam: Poonam is the better one. She has great energy and a range of expressions.

Sachin-Supriya Vs Poonam-Manish: Sachin and Supriya would get my vote as they do dance better! But on a good day, who knows what kind of run for their money — Manish and Poonam could give them.

The round is extensive and tough and if Manish and Poonam raise the bar of their performance — they could make it a tough fight.

Though credit must go to Sachin-Supriya's choreographer. He deserves marks for consistent and strong performance. He has a great rapport with them and they are definitely a stronger team.

One couple you would have brought back: Varun and Rajeshwari. They were a genuine challenge and they were very good. Beating them would not have been easy for anybody.

One song you wish someone had danced on: O Haseena Zulfon Wali — Anybody who would have danced on this was sure to have taken a perfect score. Even when I think of that song and how Helen performed on it, I want to start dancing. Also Shammi Kapoor's Dil Tera Deewana Hai Sanam would have also been a good choice.

One thing you would have changed about the show: I've enjoyed every round, every concept and the way the show has proceeded. I wouldn't really want to tinker with it. Season 2 — maybe?

Nach Baliye Highlight: When these ten couples came on the show, they didn't even know how to lift their feet. Three months, ten episodes and endless hours of practice have made even these non-dancers complete professionals.

Nach Baliye Low point: The way Rajeshwari-Varun got out. I genuinely wish, they had been allowed to perform again.

Balancing Act: All my producers knew that my Saturdays were completely devoted to Nach Baliye. It wasn't tough to manage my commitments at all!

"I am glad I am not in the audience!"

Farhan Akhtar

Live Voting: I am glad I am part of the audience because it would be a tough choice. But India must vote and decide!

Sachin Vs Supriya: The pressure of being a good dancer has taken a toll on Sachin. He's a great dancer and we all have some sort of emotional connect with him. But Supriya seems to have given it all. She has a blast and has emerged as the stronger of the two as the show has progressed.

Manish Vs Poonam: Poonam has emerged as the stronger dancer with a feel to what works and what doesn't. Manish has now even begun listening to her more and the choices she makes.

Sachin-Supriya Vs Poonam-Manish: Both are evenly balanced. Poonam and Manish try difficult and experimental stuff. Sometimes, it worked, sometimes it didn't.That's why their marks are so inconsistent. They just need to give it their best shot today.

Sachin and Supriya need to push the envelope a little. They dance up to a degree and stay in their comfort zone. They need to try something out of the ordinary to take away the crown.

One couple you would have brought back: Varun and Rajeshwari. They were versatile, exciting and continuously reinventing themselves! From classical to salsa, they explored every genre.

One couple who had potential to make it to the finals: Shilpa and Apoorva. Their technical details were perfect but they didn't look like they were enjoying themselves. 

One song you wish someone had danced on: The range of songs covered by everyone was quite exhausting.  I watched Koi Kahe from DCH closely, when   Parmeet danced. It was the first song I'd every directed in my life and he did full justice.

One thing you would have changed about the show:  We' agreed to the format beforehand, so I wouldn't have changed anything. Though I did sometimes wonder on days when good dancers got voted out, whether our judgment was making a difference to the audience.

Nach Baliye Highlight: Varun and Rajeshwari in the comedy round. They were fabulous.

Nach Baliye Low point: Delnaaz and Rajeev's last performance. After coming so far, they just let go and took the show for granted!

Balancing Act: Just one day of the week was all I could give because I am busy with the pre-production of Don. Even if they did ask me for anything more, I couldn't really help them with time.

"Women are better dancers!"

Malaika Arora Khan

Live Voting: Is a perfect way to end the ten-week show with a bang!

Sachin Vs Supriya: Sachin's always been known as a dancer. But I think Supriya has come out in the last few rounds as a better dancer. She can do anything and never comes off as being foolish or unbelievable. She's got a certain spark about that makes her very watchable.

Poonam Vs Manish: Poonam undoubtedly! She's a brilliant dancer and proves that women are better dancers.

Sachin-Supriya Vs Poonam-Manish: Sachin-Supriya have always been extremely strong contenders. They have a great vibe, chemistry and comfort that reflects on stage. Their Lavani was perhaps their best performance so far.

Manish and Poonam have worked their way up. They've been bang on, in the last few performances. Though Sometimes, Manish is not giving his all, and seems to kind of... fall behind.

One couple you would have brought back: I pick two; Varun-Rajeshwari and Archana-Parmeet. They were extremely watchable, and are fabulous dancers.

One song you wish someone had danced on: Humko Aajkal Hai Intezaar — from Sailaab. I also wish someone had done a Hrithik impersonation.

One thing you would've changed about the show: The proportion or importance of audience voting. Watching the couples dancing on the sets live is quite different from watching their performance on television. Its tough to judge, energy and enthusiasm on a 21-inch screen!

Judge Rapport: Was almost perfect. We would be cracking up and hope the microphones hadn't caught us in the breaks. Also, we had very different styles —  Sarojji is more blunt and vociferous, Farhan is more pensive and calculated. I am more sugarcoated. So it worked out very well!
Nach Baliye Highlight: When Manish asked me out on a date — with the permission of his wife! It was sweet.

Nach Baliye Low point: When couple of my favourite contestants got knocked out. Especially, Shilpa and Apoorva.

Balancing Act: Some days were tough. Especially my performances because I could only give a few hours in rehearsals and I am sure Sarojji would've liked more. There was a lot of pressure on everybody – to get it perfectly right.

But honestly, Saturdays were kept just for the show and I didn't really need to go anywhere to party after that because I was having such a party on the sets… Saturdays have never been so much fun…. As they were on Nach Baliye!

The finalists
Sachin and Supriya

Poonam and Manish