Users

Frequent Posters

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
its really sad.. Archana n Parmeet r voted out..... its a shock... 😡
Gitanjali_rao thumbnail
hi
this is with ref to the show dated 24th nov. delnaaz n rajiv are again n again being voted in inspite of their "OK" performance and last night was THE height. they ousted Archan n Parmeet one of the best dancers in Nach Baliye after Sachin n Supriya. Guys what's going on. ppl say tht they are winning based on viewer's vote but hey who knows how many votes have they actually got? we just have to take the anchors' words for it and i don't think that Indian junta is such a big jerk to vote Rajiv (aka DUCK) again n again to success. Something definitely fishy here.
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Archana danced, Sangeeta rehearsed and Supriya asked for a favour...

Our correspondent visits the sets of Star One's Nach Baliye and discovers that it requires a great deal of patience

Sonia Wahengbam

New Delhi, November 27: It was my day to Nach Baliye. It began at 6 a.m. No, I reach the show's sets at that time in the morning but in order to keep my step with the dance I, along with other scribes, had to board a flight from Delhi to Mumbai, earaly in the morning.

We were picked up from the airport and driven straight to Studio 5 in Film City. It was so festive, it looked as if there was a function going on. I was handed the studio pass and went inside a fully lit tunnel into the gallery. Songs which the contestants were supposed to perform were played for checking. I sat in the front row. The sitting section was divided into two parts — one for the choreographers and the contestants' family and the other for the general audience, with the judges sandwiched in between. I hear there's a big rush for the passes and people flock in from far and near on Saturdays to watch the performance live.

Looking around me, I saw five or six cameras placed in different positions, one hovering right above my head. I was a bit scared - what if it falls? I shifted my focus to the lighting arrangements and the design of the studio. Everything is pitch black but there are different colours of bulbs here and there. I went to the washroom to freshen up. There I saw a lady in red (Meena Kumari in Pakeezah) rehearsing with three other dancers. I peered intently at her but failed to recognise her because of the amount of make-up she has applied.

Outside, I saw the judges (Malaika Arora Khan, Saroj Khan and Farhan Akhtar) coming in one by one. Goodie, I thought, now it's going to start. My intuition was wrong. I was in the studio for more than an hour but the team was still busy fixing the cameras. Then came the round of applause. We were made to clap with different sounds and expressions for quite some time. By the end of it, my palm was red and itchy as I clapped for nothing in front of my eyes! I realised that as a member of the audience I was also acting my part, (remembered Shakespeare's line All the world is a stage...). Meanwhile, anchors Sangeeta Ghosh and Shabir Ahluwalia were busy rehearsing their scripts and expressions.

I was just thinking that a shoot of a movie, soap or a contest is all about patience when the contest started and Archana Puran Singh came on stage. After getting the judges (poor) reaction, the participant met her family backstage and learnt the judges score. One hitch, there are no retakes for the contestants but there are for the anchors. I sat through quite a few retakes, watched how they change their expression with the word 'action.'

Now, remember my lady in red? She came on stage and I realised she was none other then Rajeshwari. One by one the other performers came and did their number. It was suddenly 3.30 p.m. — lunchbreak. I tasted the unit ka Khaana After a bite, we were allowed to meet the contestants.

My 'star' was Surpriya Pilgaonkar, who had enthralled the judges and the audience with a Kahi Jaise Hawaiyen from Main Hoon Na. She said she was inspired to dance to the sweet 16 song by her daughter. Dressed in tattered jeans and torn tops with beaded hair she looked 20 years younger. She disagreed with the general conception of the 'sympathy factor' for her and Sachin. ''Early on I guess it was there. The competition has become so tough and we have been giving a consistent performance. So there is no question of it now,'' says Pilgaonkar.

The competition seemed to be healthy. There were hugs and handshakes after each performance with the partners praising each others performance. Apoorva Agnihotri and Shilpa Saklani came to cheer for Archana Puran Singh and Parmeet Sethi who was down with a stomach infection. At the end of the day it seemed like one big family.

Suddenly it was time to leave for the flight to Delhi. I was disappointed that I didn't watch the last performance by Parmeet Sethi. Also, I had not kept my promise. Pilgoankar had asked me to convey a message to Farhan Akhtar: ''Please tell Farhan that if he is looking out for character artiste for his movie, I am ready to don the mantle of mother, sister, bhabhi... His movies define every character and I want to be a part of it.'' I couldn't convey the message in person, so Supriya, I am doing it in writing.
(The trip was sponsored by Star One)

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Boogie vs bogey

Sudipto Chatterjee
Sunday, November 27, 2005  19:27 IST
Sachin-Supriya: Winners in waiting?

As 'Nach Baliye' enters its final phase, things are getting progressively messier between the contestants. Archana Puran Singh and Parmeet Sethi, the latest couple to be ousted from the show in a blaze of controversy, have alleged that some of the less popular contestants are 'rigging' the show. The bone of contention is the 'faulty' voting system that allows unlimited votes to be cast from the same phone.

TOO MUCH: "Parmeet and I decided that we would rather leave than shamelessly vote for ourselves and be shamed like two couples who still remain on the show," says a distraught Archana. In a lighter vein she adds, "You know it was almost like the contestants were playing fastest finger first and frantically polling for themselves. In the end it was all a matter of how many votes your fingers poll in 26 hours till the polling lines were closed!"

Archana feels that Sachin-Supriya are now the favourites to win the contest, because they are the ones with the most charisma and star appeal among the couples left on the show. "Right from the beginning, Sachin and Supriya were slated to win, and I think they will win despite the machinations of other contestants," she says.

ARE THEY GUILTY? The finger of suspicion is obviously pointing to Delnaaz-Rajiv and Manish-Poonam. While Manish and Poonam were not available for comment, Rajiv is guarded in his response and claims that it is the "underdog factor" that has worked for him.

"I think the allegations should be directed at the channel and not at us. In the end, only the winners are remembered and I think it's in bad taste to make such allegations against members of your own fraternity," observes Rajiv.

Varun Badola who is also among the top contenders with wife Rajeshwari, is more forthright and makes it clear that while Archana's comment might hold true for others, he was not a party to this matter.

"We are just concentrating on our performances and rehearsing very hard to make it to the finals."

NO BIG DEAL: Sachin himself says that though well-wishers and relatives of the candidates may be voting for them, he was not sure if that was enough to ensure a place in the next round. "In fact, my sister votes for me," he clarifies. But Sachin is upset with the sudden departure of Archana and Parmeet because he feels they were one of the best.

CHALTA HAI: Meanwhile, all this bickering is making little difference to the channel heads. ounters Shailja Kejriwal, creative director at Star One: "Why didn't Archana make these allegations when she was still in the running? In KBC, one person sent 60,000 messages. How can we stop someone from voting as many times they want for their candidate?" she demands.

All said and done, not everyone is unhappy with the tamasha whipped up by these accusations. "I think this rivalry is only going to generate extra excitement and interest in the show. It goes to show how seriously the participants are vying for the top slot," says Kejriwal.
All part of the game, eh?

Amisha123 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks ,Sakshi only u can provide such good articles and updates to us .
Gitanjali_rao thumbnail
hi
thanks saakshi for these 2 lovely articles. But honestly what do u feel abt "Delnaz n Rajiv" do they really deserve to be in the competition....
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Yeh Dil Chahe... to replace Nach Baliye
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   November 30, 2005

A still from Yeh Dil Chahe More
Post the end of Nach Baliye, on December 15, the much-in-the-waiting Le Jayenge Le Jayenge, which has been retitled Yeh Dil Chahe More, replaces the dance drama on Star One.

Described as a road show, Yeh Dil Chahe More is a daily (Monday to Thursday) in the 9 pm slot. The first episode airs on December 19.

Popularity factor

The Nach Baliye contestants
A few weeks ago, it was announced that Yeh Dil Chahe More, produced by Contiloe Films, will air on Star Plus in the 8 pm slot, instead of Siddharth Basu's family game show, Mum Tum aur Hum, which was to shift to 7.30 pm.

"Yes, that was the initial plan," says Shailja Kejriwal, creative head, Star Plus. "But looking at the popularity of the show, we decided to let Mum Tum Aur Hum remain. Instead, we felt that Yeh Dil Chahe More had a nice, different look, apt for Star One."

On the run

The protagonist of the daily is Tara, played by model-actress Chandana Sharma. "It is about two people on the run. The drama is about them and the people they meet on their way to Mumbai," informs Kejriwal. Yeh Dil Chahe More has been termed by the channel as high on energy, with a fresh approach. Tara is someone who wants much more from life.

Sharma was earlier seen as the anchor of lifestyle show, Home Shanti Home, on Star One. She also featured as Dr Kavya in Ayushman (Sony) and anchored the travel show, Musafir Hoon Yaaron (Star Plus). She has appeared in soaps like Just Mohabbat, Dil Se Dosti (all Sony).

Yeh Dil Chahe More also stars Baba Sehgal, who plays Tara's brother, and Avtar Gill, as the father. Along with Yeh Dil Chahe More, India Calling will also air four days, from Monday to Thursday, at 9.30 pm. It presently airs Monday to Wednesday.

Dance drama
Nach Baliye has more drama in its step, as Sachin and Supriya Pilgaonkar, Varun Badola and Rajeshwari Sachdev, Manish Goyal and Poonam Narula along with Rajiv and Delnaz Paul, battle for the Rs 50 lakh prize. Its grand finale will air on December 15.

[email protected]

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Small B turns singer
BACKING THEM: Sachin and Supriyarock star: Abhishek Bachchan

n His dad started it all when he let loose his vocal chords for Mr Natwarlal. Now, you can catch Abhishek Bachchan singing in his next release, Rohan Sippy's Bluffmaster. The song has been made into a music video which will start airing on the small screen from Thursday.

And as Chhota B puts it, the singing stint was a terrifying experience. "It all started with a joke when I proposed to sing the song," he says. "Rohan called my bluff and insisted that I actually sing it. But I cannot take any credit if it sounds good."

The song, titled Right Here Right Now, has been composed by the talented music director duo of Vishal and Shekhar, who have earlier produced chartbusters like Dus bahane and Saqi saqi. "Abhishek is a complete rock star and this project was one big party."

The video for the song has been choreographed and directed by Farah Khan. Along with Abhishek, the video features some of the biggest names in Indian modelling — Carol Gracias, Pia Trivedi, Scherzade Shroff and Anchal Kumar. Farah also made the other stars of the film — Priyanka Chopra, Riteish Deshmukh, and Boman Irani — sashay to the tunes.

As with other music videos in films, Rohan plans to use the song when the credits roll at the very end.

n After toiling away for weeks to special themes, the remaining four Nach Baliye couples finally got to dance to their favourite tracks in the latest episodes of the popular reality show on STAR One. The dance show has also spawned a new compilation titled Nach Baliye Music Album which was unveiled by the show judges Farhan Akhtar, Malaika Arora Khan and Saroj Khan.

The album is a compilation of yesteryear hit songs like Aa dekhe zara (Rocky), Laila o Laila (Qurbani) and Mehbooba mehbooba (Sholay), all of which have been remixed by DJ Aqeel. There is also the popular Nach Baliye title track, composed by Ashu and Dhruv.

After Archana and Parmeet were eliminated last Thursday, the couples who are left in the Rs 50 lakh Nach Baliye race are Rajiv and Delnaaz, Manish and Poonam, Sachin and Supriya, and Varun and Rajeshwari.

The Sachin-Supriya couple has always been the favourite, right from Week One, but Varun and Rajeshwari also have a strong chance. The Manish-Poonam pair is the dark horse. Delnaaz and Rajiv have survived the Danger Zone for four weeks in a row but are expected to lose out sooner than later. To check out who misses a beat, watch Nach Baliye on Thursday, 9 pm on STAR One.

n Dreams do come true on TV. Rahuul Khanna bought a brand new Mercedes Benz worth Rs 25 lakh for just Rs 500. Surprised? Well, the suburban Mumbai resident, also a budding director, was the big winner on Super Sale and he bought the car with the Super Sale Rupees, the currency used on the game show. Rahuul had a phenomenal run on the Sajid Khan-hosted show with record-breaking scores over the past seven episodes. But forget flashing his Merc around, he will put the money to truly good use.

"By winning this grand prize, I would be able to provide the necessary treatment for my two-year-old son, who is a thalassaemia major," Rahuul revealed. "I really want to thank Super Sale and host Sajid Khan for supporting me all the time."

n It's raining blockbusters on the small screen and everyone's invited. STAR Gold, which notched up magical numbers with the satellite premiere of Swades, is now lining up six recent Bollywood biggies every Saturday and Sunday, starting December 10.

Says STAR India marketing head Ajay Vidyasagar: "Movie premieres haven't done that well on the small screen and by screening some of the recent hits back-to-back we are trying to get those mobile viewers back in front of the TV."

For this, STAR has gone for a 64-film TV premiere agreement with Sahara One Motion Pictures. So the line-up has turned out to be quite a dream one with titles like Viruddh, Black, Main Hoon Na, Swades, Lakshya, Hulchul, Ab Tak Chhappan, Fida, Kya Kool Hain Hum, Gayab and Hera Pheri.

The six blockbusters every weekend will come a week after the triple premiere of Viruddh, which is slated for this Sunday on STAR Plus and STAR One, apart from STAR Gold.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Nach Baliye gave me recognition: Saroj
   By: A hitList Correspondent
   December 1, 2005

Saroj Khan
The nerves and the tension of being in the seventh round are obviously getting to everybody. Maybe that's why, this week's episode was a bit of a roller coaster!

While Varun and Rajeshwari were fabulous, and so were Sachin and Supriya's choreographers, Poonam-Manish and Delnaaz-Rajiv's dancing left much to be desired. I had to warn them, that if they wanted to win, they needed to clean up their act. I like to be frank and point out exactly what I think of the contestants.

No point being sweet and sugary and not telling them exactly what I think because they need to look at those comments constructively and improve their own performance.

Can do better

Poonam and Manish Goyal
I am hoping to see a lot more energy, interesting moves and more enthusiasm to justify their presence in the final rounds of Nach Baliye.

I was disappointed to see some of the couples dancing like kids after reaching the seventh round. I expected a more scintillating and well-structured performance, specially from Poonam, and Delnaaz.

I was unhappy with both — the choice of song and also the choreographer's work. After breaking standards and setting benchmarks, they have to now come across as seasoned performers in every way!

Winning ways

Some couples are beginning to dance like they have already won the competition. They are looking into the camera and the judges, rather than looking at their partners.

The title is not won, till the last dance is over. There is not a single choreographer that I can pick out and say that he or she will win the Nach Baliye show. They have to show me interesting moves and intricate steps — not just expressions or twirls. The show is called Nach Baliye — naach kar to dikhana hi padega!

Yeh kya ho raha hai

But like anybody watching the show, I was shocked when Parmeet and Archana were voted out — I had tears in my eyes. They deserved to be in the top three fighting this battle along with Varun-Rajeshwari and Sachin-Supriya. Even the public who are voting asked me about how they were voted out — and I have no answer.

What Nach Baliye has done for me is that it has brought me the recognition that even 40 years in Bollywood and numerous awards couldn't! I walked into a mall to pick up some groceries. I was mobbed by kids, families and teens asking me for my autograph and numerous questions about Nach Baliye.

Even when I was recently shooting in Delhi with Kajol and Aamir for Yashji's movie, 150 school kids surrounded me for my autograph. I felt awesome!

[email protected]

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Nach Baliye: Which two will tango to the top?

The top three contestant couples of the popular TV show share their fears about the final contest

Amrita Chaudhry

Ludhiana, December 7: THE latest fad on private channels are reality shows which are rocking the public and one such show, which is very close to its finals, is Nach Balliye aired on Star One. This celebrity dance show will have hold semi finals on December 7 and finals on December 15. And vying for the final prize money of Rs 50 lakh are the three celebrity jodis - those of Sachin and Supriya, Varun Badola and Raajeshwari and Manish Goyal and Poonam Goyal.

Talking to Newsline on phone from Mumbai, Supriya says this contest has brought to light for her many aspects about her own self. ''Till this contest had happened, I had never danced; never even gone to a disco. And here we were, both Sachin and me, both middle-aged dancing against some very youthful couples. The only other couple which matched our age, experience and to an extent dancing skills too was that of Archana Puran Singh and Parmeet Sethi who were, however, eliminated from the contest quite early.'' The mantra of success for this jodi, as per Supriya is, ''The perfect chemistry that Sachin and I share. See, we have been married for nearly twenty years now and this show is much more that dance and song. It has lots to do with chemistry and our jodi is perfect on that.''

Singing sensation Raajeshwari, who's made her share of ripples in Bollywood, feels, ''Till date, we have always given variety in this contest. This is our conscious decision for, why do what all others do ? And I promise that in the finals too, the audience will be treated to a great surprise.'' Raajeshwari claims that, ''If we win, which is still a far thing, we will donate our money to a charitable organisation called Project Crayons. This is a project run for street children who are given shelter, food and even education till the age of 18.''

The third finalist in this list is the couple Poonam and Manish Goyal for which, ''Wining is everything. For Manish it is not the prize money which is the big thing, but the victory itself.''

Says Poonam, ''As a couple we have had our share of arguments over choice of dance steps and songs but they have brought out the best in us.''

About the contest
Nach Baliye is a dance contest which started on Star One in October. It had ten celebrity couples vying for the finals. The panel of judges comprises choreographer Saroj Khan, director Farhaan Akhtar and model-actress Malaika Arora Khan.