Articles - No Comments - Page 3

Posted: 18 years ago
Vandana Pathak's blessing in disguise
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   April 1, 2006

Mummy ko sab pataa hai: Vandana Pathak with her kids Yash and Radhika
The sudden exit of the Zee show Hum Paanch may have taken the cast by surprise. But for Vandana Pathak (Meenakshi of Hum Paanch) it is proving to be a blessing in disguise.

"We were all extremely upset when we were told about it. It was most unexpected. Everyone would tell us the weekend time slot was not happening " she says. "On the last day of the shoot, there was no farewell or party; we were all so taken aback.

We just completed out shot and went home. We didn't feel like doing anything that day. I miss the co-actors and the entire unit. But now that we have stopped shooting, it has suddenly given me lots of time on hand; and the timing could not be more perfect than my children's exams!"

Busy teaching

So Pathak is studying all over again with her son Yash, who is a fourth
standard student at Jankidevi School, Andheri, and her daughter Radhika who is in KG. "It is Yash who needs me more. Otherwise he would always tell me that I am not around at home.

And now I am there all the time for him. So I am making the most of my break from the acting scenario by helping him with his exams. "

On her acting front, Pathak is slated to enter the Star Plus weekend show Baa Bahoo aur Baby in the coming months.

"It is a familiar unit as it is the same team (Jamnadas 'JD' Majethia and Aatish Kapadia) with whom I have worked in Instant Khichdi before. They are working on the character. Besides, Instant Khichdi is also slated to be back later in the year."

New play

Vandana will also feature in a  new Gujarati play, to be produced by Feroz Bhagat. "The title has not been ascertained yet. It has been written by Pravin Solanki and has Tiku Talsania in the cast.

At the moment everything just suits me fine. I am chilling out at home till the play's rehearsals begin," says Vandana who is married to writer Neraj Pathak, who is penning Anil Sharma's film Apne starring Dharmendra, Sunny and Bobby Deol together.

Hubby Neraj has also written and directed Gumnam, with Dino Morea, Mahima Chaudhary and Suman Ranganathan, and written the screenplay for the films Pardes and Deewangi.

Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago
Posted: 17 years ago

Rakhi changes lanes

Unhappy being a producer, Sweetie of Hum Paanch returns to acting

Sapana Patil

Does your decision to go back to acting have anything to do with your last production, Pyar Zindagi Hai on Zee TV, not doing well?
No, that's not the reason. Frankly, it was too much of a hassle. Actors would come to me with trivial problems like the tea on the sets was not good enough or the blouse did not have a zip. These trivial matters took too much of my time which consequently led to my ignoring the creative aspects of the serial. I have hence decided not to continue with production. I just want to act; that too in a serial of a production house other than mine. If it's my production house, then I invariably will get involved in the production aspects. So, from now on my husband will take care of production.

So what are your future projects?

Like I said, I want to act; and give 100 per cent concentration to it. I am looking for meaningful roles — negative, comedy or a blend of both. There is a lot to do and I am meeting television and film producers for the same.

After you turned producer, your presence on television was less felt. Was this a conscious decision?

Actors who turn producers are not offered roles. Once I took up production, people assumed that I had given up acting. I got a raw deal for getting into production. It was a big loss for me.

How come Ekta Kapoor did not offer you any roles in her saas-bahu serials?
Ekta knows which actor fits which character. So why just saas-bahu serials, I am open to working in any good serial. 

How do you feel about Hum Paanch going off air because of an insipid second run?

It is indeed sad that the show is going off air. I don't know what to say. The serial made my character Sweetie a rage. But certain things are not in my hands. The serial that did so well in the first season couldn't live upto expectations in the second season.

• When I was a producer, actors would come to me with trivial problems like the tea on the sets was not good enough or the blouse did not have a zip — Rakhi Tandon

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
Posted: 17 years ago

Rakhi gives production a break

Rakhi Tandon

Last heard, actress-cum-producer Rakhi Tandon is planning to give her production house a break. "I want to concentrate on my acting as of now," she states. The bubbly actress says that she has been getting lots of offers from big production houses. "I've been reading some fabulous film scripts. And it is films that I want to do right now,"  she says. Apparently she is supposed to sign a big film shortly. But ask her about it and she replies: "I will talk about it only when it happens."
Well, we're waiting

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago