Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 15 years ago
Obama is a true wordsmith. With his charismatic personality and personal style this speech will probably go down as one of the most memorable political speeches. In style of speech Obama does not remind me of someone loud and assertive like a JFK or MLK.

In fact for me it is mind bogglingly eeries of how many parallels I can draw between Obama and Abraham Lincoln. Of course I never saw Lincoln speak, but from historic texts and archives Lincoln was not your typical electrifying speaker. He was a softer slower speaker, sombre and stoic, yet empathetic and emotive to connect with the audiences. With the uncanny ability to emphasise and highlight the right words. Obama's speech to me reminded me of elements from Lincoln's 'House Divided Speech' and "Gettysburg Address".

For some people it maybe difficult to grasp why American's are all head over heels over a mere presidential election that takes place every four years. The thing is that for us this is historic. A few years ago I did not expect that I would ever live to see the first non white president, even a female president or vice president sounded ridiculous. Non only did we see a multiracial man win, but we saw two strong women make a mark in the contest. Atheists, Hindus etc and other minority religions were frustrated that the Bush era had changed this country to 'Jesusland', I had lost hope that a more centrist person could ever come to power. For the rest of the world it is just another change of power. For many Americans it is history in the making.

As for placing Obama on a pedestal and worshipping him. I am against it. He is human after all, and that means he is flawed and will stumble many times. For years the Bush govt has been feeding us cheap ramen noodles, when Obama promises a change in menu we like greedy fools are thinking of a three course five star restaurant elegant meal - with waiters to constantly serve on us. In reality what Obama offers is a simple midwestern diner meal. Simple everyday needs to get our nation back on track.

Just like the Lincoln era paid the price for its change - abolishment - we have to be willing to be paying the prices for our era.
Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
well well well............

i think , what has his mentioning a religion , got to do with us feeling good or bad ??

His intentions are right , and thats what matters. Even if he forgets to mention any religion , offence shouldn't be taken by anyone at all...........

Indeed, i guess religion should always be kept out of any affair,
cos there are people sitting out there who are waiting deliberately for a speech, etc so that they can take offence https://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

PS -> i have seen broad minded , intelligent people suddenly become so narrow minded when the talks begin about to religion........its beyond my understanding !!!
It seems i have deviated a bit from the topic, but i thought it was necessary 😃
apux thumbnail

Originally posted by: ashoka_was_king

i think , what has his mentioning a religion , got to do with us feeling good or bad ?? 

His intentions are right , and thats what matters. Even if he forgets to mention any religion , offence shouldn't be taken by anyone at all...........I wouldn't be offend if he didn't mention my religion....It was just nice to know that Obama acknowledged how diverse our country is in race and religion!

cos there are people sitting out there who are waiting deliberately for a speech, etc so that they can take offence https://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif Okay, there wasn't anything offensive about the Prez MENTIONING the different religions in America...it's not like he's gonna use the different religious views as a guide for his public policies

PS -> i have seen broad minded , intelligent people suddenly become so narrow minded when the talks begin about to religion........its beyond my understanding !!!  Me too😆

Mindbender thumbnail
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
i like him..cos he said talking about religions - christains, moslems, jews and HINDUS!!!!!! obama rocks... all of india for obama....
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ashoka_was_king

His intentions are right , and thats what matters. Even if he forgets to mention any religion , offence shouldn't be taken by anyone at all...........

cos there are people sitting out there who are waiting deliberately for a speech, etc so that they can take offence https://www.extremefunnypictures.com/comment/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

PS -> i have seen broad minded , intelligent people suddenly become so narrow minded when the talks begin about to religion........its beyond my understanding !!!

for one..there is ahope he will kick a** pakistan and keep india neighborhood pest free...
Edited by qwertyesque - 15 years ago

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

for one..there is ahope he will kick a** pakistan and keep india neighborhood pest free...

i am not so sure abt  it but lets see.
like what is such a big deal of his mentioning hindus or not. hindus are a big part of most countries specially US, canada and UK so even if they may no acknowledge it they certainly cant ignore us.
apux thumbnail
Edited by apux - 15 years ago
Mindbender thumbnail
chalo , lets leave it here 😃

Obama's inaugaration speech had a lot more ,
so we should move onto that !!

btw, the best part i like about when he speaks is , the audience reactions 😊
He really makes sure the audience has the same intensity in reacting, as he maintains in provoking a reaction from them

highly efficient !!! 😆
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Obama failed to mention Wiccan, Voodo, Neo Paganism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Shintoism etc. And by Christians I was not sure if Catholics were included or not included, also are they still counting the Mormons, and what about the Free Masons.

But then theists, atheists and agnostics would make a booooring speech.