Opinions on Obama's Inauguration speech

Posted: 15 years ago
Well the whole world is talking about it so why not us IF debaters?

Any opinions on Obama's speech today?

I felt his speech was very honest and heartfelt with no false promises but lot's of hope and expectations for the coming future. Some people might think his speech was too heavy on negativity and 'we are in a crisis' rhetoric but I feel he was honest and did not make any larger than life promises like most politicians do.

One thing that I did miss in his speech were some memorable lines like JFk and MLK's speeches have offered us in the past. I guess this was done deliberately to focus on the event, the people and the somber environment the nation is rather than celebrating Obama's oratory skills.

I loved his foreign policy parts especially where he addressed leaders of some nations: 'your countrmen will remember you for what you built and not what you destroyed."

I loved tha fact that he acknowledged all the main religions of the world which are practiced all over the US- christianity, Islam, Judaism and Hinduism.

Any further opinions?
When the BUSHman was President for eight years, I became a born again, diehard,  Aethiest.  I doubt President Obama can change my feeling for the so called "Almighty"....However his speech was inspirational, and I have to admit after 12.15 pm est today, I began to revisit my beliefs. Thanks you Almighty President Obama, you have reinstated my faith in the "Human" race and YOU.......but not the so called "Almighty!!! "

Obama's speech manifested real values for all the people of  this planet, not the Blacks, nor Browns, nor Yellows or what have you! Obama, Oh my Obama you have put things in perspective like no one did before! nor will they do for a long time to come!!  I will serve you Sir till you tell me otherwise. You have rekindled my faith in humanity!!!!!
Edited by bunbutt_too - 15 years ago
Obama insisting that India sign the nuclear non-proliferation
Biden's Asia visits to Pakistan, not India
Obama stopping job outsourcing to India

Hmmm somehow for the time being I find him a little anti India  . so did not get touched by the speech .
the inauguration address of mr. president obama yesterday was long and full of promises, full of hopes of the futures but that's what all politicians do. they give promises about so many things to be elected and trying to ensure that they can be re-elected again. politicians speak a lot of things which not all, perhaps not many of what they said in their promises could be done during their term of office. their speech might be good but their conduct might not be as good as their speeches. we cannot know whether obama is a good president or not until we see how he works and run the diverse nation of united states of america.
during obama's campaign and yesterday his first speech as president is the time where mr. president obama can do all this bullsh*t. this is the phase of his bullsh*t and we have to see how he works to know whether he is a good president and leader or not. only by his works can we only know that whether he can lead or not.
I haven't heard the speech yet so I'll reserve my comments.  But I promise I'll be giving my two cents on this thread once I am done listening to it😛
Originally posted by Gauri_3

I haven't heard the speech yet so I'll reserve my comments.  But I promise I'll be giving my two cents on this thread once I am done listening to it😛

omg, Gauri you didn't hear the speech😲😆 Everyone was watching, from little kids to oldies!  I watched it at work live on my computer...I was being a productive American worker😆

I enjoyed the speech...It was different from the speeches he had given before winning the election...I think he's trying to prepare Americans that miracles are not going to happen....and favorite part was when he gave a shout out to Hindus😆
Originally posted by apux

Me too! My son told me he gave a high five to his friend in class when her heard 'hindus'😃
I really enjoyed his speech, but didn't find it to be anything spectacular.  I guess I'm starting to expect nothing but the utmost eloquence from him, so I doubt if I'll ever be as impressed as I was initially.  I loved his shout out to all religions and people of the world.  I'm really hoping for great things from him...but I'll try not to set my expectations too high.  Anyway, anything should be better than the last eight years, right?
Originally posted by bheegi

Me too! My son told me he gave a high five to his friend in class when her heard 'hindus'😃

I feel Hindus are kinda ignored against the big three (Christians, Jews, Muslims) by American leaders...so it was nice to be acknowledged!  My atheist co-worker felt bad that she wasn't recognized but then my brother said that President Obama also mentioned non-believers as well...See, Obama likes to include everyone😆