Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by: GUARDIAN ANGEL

I agree both with Priyadi and Gauri.  I just wanted to add that a live-in after a year is also called Common-Law spouse......so it is not that much easy to walk away either.

I know of a lady who lived with a man who had kids from previous marriage.  They lived together for five years before he passed away.  She did have the legal right to some of his estate and had a bitter battle with his kids.  She never wanted much except some things they bought oneanother as memories.

I guess I am old fashioned as I would not want a child out of wedlock or be someone's live-in and then find it does not work.  But that is just my own POV.😳

I vaguely remember from my business law class...the professor mentioned this bizzare thing.....there's this little known law in Texas which says that if a baalig (over 18 here...the english term not coming to mind...non-minors?) boy and girl live together in a conjugal relationship for a week, they are man and wife under Common Law😲  Think about all those poor college students who check in a motel just for a good time...may be for a week....little do they know that their partner can actually claim share of their property under this little known seldom used common lawπŸ˜†

kabhi_21 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

I vaguely remember from my business law class...the professor mentioned this bizzare thing.....there's this little known law in Texas which says that if a baalig (over 18 here...the english term not coming to mind...non-minors?) boy and girl live together in a conjugal relationship for a week, they are man and wife under Common Law😲  Think about all those poor college students who check in a motel just for a good time...may be for a week....little do they know that their partner can actually claim share of their property under this little known seldom used common lawπŸ˜†

😲 itna imp law logon ko pata nahiπŸ˜†

Live in relationships are wrong morally, ethically and economically. Other than it is my personal choice, what purpose does this serve? Either get married and if you don't believe in that institution then live separately and continue the relation.

Swar_Raj thumbnail
One of my co worker moved in with her boyfriend and when I asked her, why she does not get married, her answer was...why to spend so much money πŸ˜•
Marriage to them is just another expenditure and not a commitment πŸ˜•
πŸ˜† πŸ˜† @ Gauri's law
ChameliKaYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

An American colleague of mine was in a live-in relationship from past 13 years.......guy wanted a kid and she did not w/o marriage....mind that, she only refused to have the kid out of wedlock but never forced him to marry her.......so guy decides they should get married.....she agreed...fixed a date....guy disappears a week befor marriage and is still laapata.....they were supposed to get married two weeks ago!!!sat-buddhi der se aayi...the guy is probably co-habitating somewhere else..πŸ˜†

What good came out of this 13 years of live in relationship other than that the cohabitant was able to just walk away and disappear in thin air???? Atleast, in a marriage, there is some level of commitment and security.

I am in favor of either here or there....get married or stay single.  So what if the marriage doesn't work out....if one is open minded enough to be in a live-in relationship, why should a mere divorce be so unacceptableSharing wealth is never an appealing ideaπŸ˜†

That said and done, I think it is purely individual choice and no one should be ridiculing them for chosing to be in a live-in relationship.