Live in relationship vs Marriage

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Marriage as an Institution is very old and popular in most parts of the words BUT recent trends show that many people are opting out of it and prefer the less commited form of " living in " . It has been a popular thing in the Western part of the world , where people are afraid of going through another marriage ...so another divorce ....and the problems that come with divorce ....dividing up property , alimony , issue of child custody etc etc .

But in India it too has become a common thing , not yet popular ....but still you hear of more people " living in with each other " You hear it most in circles where people work in advertising , hotel ,airlines or people in the art industry - music , theatre etc . We still see living in a choice by what we consider " modern thinkers " or crazy arty people .

While Marriage in India still remains a strong institution so far . And we have a lot more respect for it .

What are your views ?

My view is that i respect marriage a lot and i had a love marriage but would have never lived in with my guy . The reason being i always felt i needed the security and commitment of marriage and i felt i was ready to commit to my guy for my whole life .So i rather marry than live in .

Please my request is just do not write " I think live in is wrong " or " i support live in relationship . " or some one line post  .Please please elaborate and explain your views .Tell us WHY you think what you think !!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~*kRiTu*~ thumbnail
ummmmmmmm no comments now but i dont think ill go for one even though i dont think its wrong, it depends.....
vinay_k101 thumbnail
hmm...
I do support d concept of Live-Ins... they do have a lot of positive points...
U can always knw ur partner well before gettin married... when v date sum1, v always see d best of them... bt wen v live wid sum1, v have 2 see them in their best n worst... so live-in gives a gud outlook of wat a marriage... bt then... live-in requires high level of maturity n responsibility.. ppl who may get into live-in jus becuz its kool or without knwin wat its all abt, r in for big trouble...

Marriages r important becuz they provide security 2 ppl... thats y they have been happenin since years n will b happenin in future too...

so, Live-in shld nt b a substitute for marriage... let it b a step before marriage... thats a balanced way i guess...

Personally... i do like live-ins... i really like d concept, n if given a chance wld love 2 live-in wid a gal.. bt wid a gal from whom i have strong emotions...

wat u say.?
deepey thumbnail

marriage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont believe in the "live-ins" concept...

Edited by deepey - 18 years ago
Signora2 thumbnail
I would add, To each its own, havent thought about it, But in India a prestigious UNiv in Delhi always allowed its students to live together. It has been for years, the point is it is now being talked about in India openly. I cant comment on what is good or bad, because of lack of experience, Yes Marriage is an institution that will never die, especially in our country.
signora 2
samie thumbnail
great topic

did u guys know th@ kim n lara dutta live 2gether just like salaame naamaste. personaly i think it is up2 the couple wh@ they c which is suitble 4 them . ppl dont have a problem with others livin 2gether so y with asians????
sowmyaa thumbnail
Great topic! I personally had an arrange marriage and it's great after 8 years. I think I am very lucky to have such great hubby, no complains.

However, I do like idea of live-in relashionship. I still don't believe in giong physical when you live together, but just living as room-mate or as bf/gf in different room, but same apt. I think it gives you opportunity to know someone even better if you live with them 24/7. Marriage in India, love and arrange does not give this opportunity to know your to-be partner before hand. It is therefore, hard once you get to start living together. lots of adjustments during intial phase. If you live together there is intial passion and attraction, but then you are also exposed to what it is like to really be with that person 24/7 can you really stand him/her..no faking or pretending business. I like that concept.

When I got married it was not even somethign to talk about in India. I tell my husband that if it was common in our time, i would 've definetly taken this road. 😛
anjali.nair thumbnail
i think live-in relationships are cool😉 and many in india are going for it now. but as traditional as it sounds i prefer having a band on my finger before i decide to live with a guy. i believe in marriage and commitment. i can't get into a relationship with no strings attached. i don't mind those hostels in india where boys and girls are put under one roof. i have lived like that and it's fun and pure friendship.

but live-in relationship where intimacy is involved without marriage is a strict NO for me. i have nothing against those who prefer live-in but i am just not for it.
vinay_k101 thumbnail
well..
expectin a guy n gal 2 live under same roof.. n no intimacy.. thats nt easy i guess...
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: vinay_k101

well..
expectin a guy n gal 2 live under same roof.. n no intimacy.. thats nt easy i guess...

I agree with you . Many have said they'd like to live in ....but with no physical intimacy . I don't beleive things will be platonic if two people who love each other , move in together !!