Katrina Kaif is the Hema Malini of this generation

ablazedmelody thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
Katrina is the Hema Malini of current generation

Sunday 29 December, 2013
By Subhash K Jha

BOLLYWOOD: Watch her dance movements in Dhoom 3. The girl doesn't dance. She floats. And you wonder, where did that come from!

Kuch to hai. LK that's my name for Lucky Katrina is  exempted from the rigours of recession and no-show.

While other much-hyped actresses are  flying Kites and desperately calling Karthik, Katrina races on with hit after hit. She is the Hema Malini  of the  current generation. Call her Lady Luck.

Katrina continues to rock the box-office  as  though there's no tomorrow. Just compare her box-office performance with all her contemporaries without naming them (I don't want the temperamental  divas coming down me like a ton of bricks) and you'll see what I mean. Whatever this  sparkling girl touches turns into gold.

Even the  industry's current  blue-eyed boy Ranbir Kapoor had his first big hit with Katrina. His second big hit was again with her. Coincidence? Then how about this? Since Dhoom  John Abraham's only big hit besides Dostana, is with Katrina. Neil Nitin Mukesh's only hit so far also co-stars, surprise surprise, LK.

Katrina: Ahead of all other actresses in Bollywood

Katrina: Racing ahead of all other actresses in Bollywood

Katrina reminds me of  Hema Malini. There was  a time when anything she touched turned  into gold. Fading superstars  with falling  fortunes and receding hairlines pleaded  to get lucky Malini into their projects. Though  she had less than cordial  experiences with Manoj Kumar and Rajesh Khanna in her earlier  films, she agreed to star in their purported comeback films Premnagar and Sanyasi , respectively. 

I'd like  to think  the films clicked because of  Hema Malini's positive attitude to life. She never holds grudges, and neither does Katrina.

While Hema is far more blunt in her words and gestures (she had  noisily left the premiere of Sanjay Bhansali's Devdas at the glorious climax with daughter Esha, simply because they needed to find their car), Katrina is equally fearless  about  being truthful.

She's far more of a go-getter than Hema, though.  I remember the  first time Katrina ever  spoke to me was when she called to introduce herself and  say hello...just  like that some years ago. It took a  while for us to get comfortable with one another mainly because I  don't see eye to eye with the guy she was seeing.

I'd hear stories of her dignified defiance against Salman Khan's autocratic ways even before I  got to know her. Here's a classic Katrina story from her Salman days. Salman was one day sitting with a very close director-friend when she  sauntered into the  room in a pair of jeans  and a skimpy top announcing that she was  going out. Salman mildly objected  to the  top. Katrina went inside and came out wearing a skimpier top. Kuch bhi bolo, Salman did  a lot for this girl. He took her to meet his pal Sanjay Leela Bhansali and asked him to cast her as  Mastani in  the  proposed costume drama Bajirao Mastani. He  made sure she  remained cocooned from  the murky side of  showbiz. But she never allowed him to dominate  her life. I remember the  first time I met Salman he was very keen that I meet  his new lady-love.  He kept calling  her  asking her to  join us. She  didn't.

Katrina never allowed Salman to dominate her

Katrina never allowed Salman to dominate her life

Katrina follows her heart. But she never forgets  to  let her practical side get a head start. When you meet her  she appears  to  be aloof, almost withdrawn. Then you realize, the vulnerable do need   to  fortify themselves from the  strong winds that threaten to rain on and destroy their paradise.

No. Katrina doesn't have the enchanting aura of Hema. But they're both blessed  with an inner beauty  that manifests  itself  outward  in their  day-to-day conduct. And they carry themselves  with great dignity and self regard. You won't find the lechers  and louts of  the  film industry messing  about with either Hema or Katrina. And it's not because Dharmendra and Salman are hovering around protectively.  It's  that don't-mess-with-me attitude which separated a Raakhee Gulzar from a Moushumi Chatterjee,

Hema Malini:

In the short time that I've known Katrina, I've realized  that the  strong streak of  success  that has come to her is because  she deserves it. She  is a caring gentle soul. She's also a lonely soul. I've caught Hema Malini and  Katrina in their most depressed moments when all they want is a strong guy to go home to.

Not everyone is as  lucky as Bipasha, Kareena and Aishwarya. Some of the most  beautiful  women in the world are the loneliest. In fact, the  ore the beautiful, the lonelier. Check the lambi luscious  list from Madhubala and Meena Kumari to Asha Parekh, Sushmita Sen and Katrina. They're all mistresses of solitude.

Ranbir thinks it's insulting to call LK  a Luck Mascot'. I think it's a great compliment in today's day and  age when success generates solitude. Katrina is lucky for  everyone around her. 

Meanwhile, there's another blockbuster of hers around the corner.

Dhoom machale, girl.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Breaking News- Hema Malini suffered from severe brain damage after  reading a rather idiotic piece by Subash K Jha. 

Edited by _VeLlA_MuNdA_ - 10 years ago
Basilisk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Ufff these never ending PR articles πŸ˜†
DianaPrince thumbnail

Edited by LadyDabangg - 10 years ago
Basilisk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
^Can't see the pic you posted.